Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #561
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #562
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
What did Golden State think was going to happen? Three their way into the finals?
It's not, as Flaco said, a gimmick. If I'm not mistaken, that three-point line is painted on every floor in the NBA. It's there if you want to use it. What it is, is a tactic.

A tactic that served the Warriors awfully well this postseason. They did, after all, shoot their way to the biggest upset in NBA history and take down a 67-win monster.

For this series, you can look to Game Two as the decider. They didn't lose it from the three-point line. They lost it by missing free throws and turning over the ball in the last minute. If they win that game like they are supposed to, it's now 3-2 and heading back to Oakland after the understandable bad offensive game.

Golden State is legitimate. They were beaten tonight, and that's fine. But they are legitimate. After all, the better team always wins the seven-game series, right?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #563
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It would have been nice if the W's would have shot 20% from three against us at least one of the games in the series...

Spurts are going to kill the Jazz.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #564
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Either the Jazz will beat the Suns or the Spurs will beat the Jazz.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #565
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Man, Kenny and Chuck bagging on Dev and JET...

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #566
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Either the Jazz will beat the Suns or the Spurs will beat the Jazz.
Either that, or the Suns will beat the Jazz or the Jazz will beat the Spurs.

Other than that, it's anyone's guess what will happen.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #567
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Either that, or the Suns will beat the Jazz or the Jazz will beat the Spurs.

Other than that, it's anyone's guess what will happen.
umm...

I was responding to Nashty's prediction with my own. Wtf?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #568
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
umm...

I was responding to Nashty's prediction with my own. Wtf?
No, your prediction was a very good one. I was, in fact, inclined to agree. But I was also thinking about the other possibilities.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #569
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Wow....that Utah freaking Jazz are in the WCF.

I'm so sad right now.
Yeah, this thought just hit me as well. I have to say I'm feeling pretty sad as well.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #570
fluid.forty.one

I was just saying that I think the Jazz would beat the suns, but they wouldn't beat the spurs. So I can't really make my prediction until I see how the phx/sa series turns out.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #571
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think both the Spurs and Suns will easily dispose of the Jazz. The Jazz can't be turning the ball over this much and shooting this badly from the line if they expect to have a chance of beating either the Spurs or Suns.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #572
chumdawg
Guru

The big reason the Jazz turned the ball over so much is that they faced a suffocating defense in that respect. (And also that they did not get good play from Williams.) They will fare better in the next round in this regard.

But they do foul way too often, and they do have some players that are more than willing to brick some free throws.

Yet, they have some good FT shooters, too.

If their next opponent doesn't pressure the ball a whole lot (and neither team is all that likely to), they may solve some of their problems as a matter of course.

Of course, they will be presented with a completely new set of problems, too.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #573
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I think both the Spurs and Suns will easily dispose of the Jazz. The Jazz can't be turning the ball over this much and shooting this badly from the line if they expect to have a chance of beating either the Spurs or Suns.
The Warriors caused the most turnover in the league during the regular season. That was the reason for the Jazz high turnover numbers. The Jazz in the first round only made 12 TPG...they'll correct the problem.

And to say a team the just beat the Warriors in 5, a team that beat the Mavs in 6, has no shot in WCF finals is insane. It's gonna to be tough, but the Jazz are playing tremoundous basketball....and if the Suns-Spurs goes 7 and the Jazz can get some nice rest heading into WCF, look out.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #574
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Man, I at least wanted this series to go 6 just because the games were entertaining. GIVE ME MORE BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see the Jazz advancing past the WCF. Both the Spurs and Suns have advantages at the PG spots and down low. Boozer's days of dominating are over, and most importantly, Utah won't get the calls against either one of those squads. And even if they do get to the Finals they still don't have their main advantages against Detroit either (I am assuming they come out the East).
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #575
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Man, I at least wanted this series to go 6 just because the games were entertaining. GIVE ME MORE BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second that, bro!

Quote:
I don't see the Jazz advancing past the WCF. Both the Spurs and Suns have advantages at the PG spots and down low.
You are on to something with the advantage at the one. Utah's big problem is that they have absolutely nothing behind Williams, compounded by the problem that Williams can evidently disappear faster than David Blayne. However...Utah can survive this against San Antonio. That matchup would be far less about the PG play than it would be about the inside play. Flip it around for the Suns matchup.

Don't count out Boozer. He should be able to compete with Duncan. Kirilenko should be able to give him steady help, and the Spurs might have a hard time dealing with Okur from the arc.

The best matchup for the Jazz would appear to be the Spurs. The Suns will outquick them AND outsmart them, which the Warriors were not able to do.

My prediction would be that the Suns would dismiss of the Jazz, but the Spurs series would be a tossup.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #576
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I just wish the league had banned the beer for Nellie before the playoffs started...
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #577
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, didn't the Jazz beat the Suns 3 times this year?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #578
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
To be fair, didn't the Jazz beat the Suns 3 times this year?
Yes. That series would be a dogfight , if the Suns can get there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #579
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

lessee if we can find some amazing insight as to why the Jazz were able to win this series....how about a look at rebounding numbers?

Game / Jazz / Dubs / Differential

1 54 36 18
2 60 32 28
3 44 32 12
4 52 36 16
5 59 35 24

hmmmm....according to my highly sophisticated computer program, the Jazz grabbed about 20 more rebounds per game than the Dubs. That's 20 more possessions for the Jazz...let's figure the Jazz shot 40% on those extra possessions-->that's a 16 point per game advantage for the Jazz.

But that 16 points per game Jazz advantage couldn't have made any difference, could it? Jazz win margins: 4, 10, 14, and 13.

Moral of the story: Small Ball sucks.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #580
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Second that, bro!

You are on to something with the advantage at the one. Utah's big problem is that they have absolutely nothing behind Williams, compounded by the problem that Williams can evidently disappear faster than David Blayne. However...Utah can survive this against San Antonio. That matchup would be far less about the PG play than it would be about the inside play. Flip it around for the Suns matchup.

Don't count out Boozer. He should be able to compete with Duncan. Kirilenko should be able to give him steady help, and the Spurs might have a hard time dealing with Okur from the arc.

The best matchup for the Jazz would appear to be the Spurs. The Suns will outquick them AND outsmart them, which the Warriors were not able to do.

My prediction would be that the Suns would dismiss of the Jazz, but the Spurs series would be a tossup.
fisher runs well behind williams. especially when williams gets into foul trouble. i dont think the suns give utah much of a problem. phx givess everyone matchup problems, but they're a lot more solid down the stretch in 4th quarters lately than SA has been. theyre playing very well right now and theyre size advantage still gives phx issues. its not the same team phx played during the regular season so i wouldn't just say phx wins easily. Warriors have proven that you're not going to outscore utah so if thats all people are banking on in phx winning, then i think theyre wrong. in no way are the suns defensinve hands quikcer than GS. only place the suns seem to have the advantage now is at point guard.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #581
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

My hat goes off to the Jazz. Their coach played their ball and didn't bow down to the warriors. Plain & Simple, stick to what you do best, and you will be the best. Hopefully next year, Avery will let us play our game and no-one else's!
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #582
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Most boring 2nd round series ever.

Jazz in 5.
Came out alright on this prediction.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote