Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #81
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
He took a high stick to the face, which was sufficiently bad enough that he left and didn't come back the rest of the game, and probably won't play tonight.

And somehow, it only got us a 2 minute power play. Not 4. I'm still confused on that.
i heard on the 'yotes broadcast that the stick he took to the face was actually that of turco's
Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #82
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The score tonight is exaclty what the score should have been last night.

3-1 half way through the game. It's going to get worse. Even though the coyotes played last night as well, they look fresh and young.

the Stars look like a bunch of old men, and Turco looks TERRIBLE.

Dave Tippet, your time is limited.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #83
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Since I don't get the TV broadcasts, I can get momentarily distracted by a nice pair of W's in Anaheim & SJ...but then this happens & the truth rears its ugly head & it once again becomes apparent that this team is mediocre at best & just plain horrible at worst. We're sinking fast...I demand that Army do something.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #84
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you could see it ames.

It's hard to describe. But this was actually a LOT worse than the 5-0 beating they gave us last week. At least in that one, the Stars were out chancing them and working pretty hard before they got disheartened.

Tonight they had no jump, no effort, no energy. They looked old and tired and lazy, and stupid. Turco looked god awful.

Might be the worst game of the season, top to bottom. But I say that a lot.

You're right though. Sinking. Sinking really fast.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #85
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Kicking ass tonight....tons of chances.

Lets see the consistency now for 2 more periods.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #86
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Conner with the goal.

3-0 Stars.

I hope Erikksson is liking life in Iowa.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #87
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

There are no words

Fire Tippet tonight.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #88
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

5 goals in 5 minutes
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #89
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #90
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm done being emotionally pushed around by this team. They are like the kings of winning like every third game & making you think that there's hope that they're turning the corner & we shouldn't press the panic button quite yet. Well, I'm done buying it, this team sucks & there's nothing more to it. They SUCK. DO SOMETHING!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #91
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

6 goals in 8 minutes against
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #92
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

after the 2nd goal i told my girlfriend of they didn't pull turco right then that he would continue giving up rapid fire goals until we lost. This was as bad as I have ever seen. There will be a funeral at 3pm on monday for the stars season. I expect to see you guys there.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #93
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big hockey gal, but holy crap that was horrible.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #94
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

I was fairly optimistic heading into the season but I've seen enough now to pronounce this team dead. The problem is physical and mental. Unfortunately, blowing it up isn't a viable option since tanking would only help LA's draft position. I think the best solution short of that is to fire the coaching staff and bring in a coach that is geared toward a rebuild. Continue playing the old core (Mo, Lehts, Zubov, Turco), augmented by as much youth as you can possibly bring up from Iowa as an extended tryout. That should still be good enough for roughly a .500 team. Deal the core right at the deadline, throwing sentiment out the window, and recoup as many picks as possible.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #95
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Fire Tippet tonight.
Isn't he like Avery Johnson, offensively inept?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #96
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

When he was first hired the Stars were plenty good offensively. He was a power play coach in LA before he got the Dallas job. He's just lost this group. Offense isn't really the problem anyway, the Stars have a better goals for per game than teams like Buffalo and Pittsburgh.... winning is the problem.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #97
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Their problem is between the ears....and last night was between the pipes.

This team is totally screwed up right now. I imagine that the vibe on the plane and locker room has turned from somber, to downright anger and animosity towards eachother. People start to turn on eachother quickly when stuff like this happens.

Of course, those are usually the passionate athletes that care....I'm not sure we have any of those besides the captain.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 11-11-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #98
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

wow, armey canned?? not the move i thought they'd make.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #99
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

wtf?

I'm sorry, but how is this going to help us here and now, November 2007?

Certainly I thought it needed to done at the end of the season, but.....wow. This season is going to be a completely bloody mess. Hello 12th place.

I wonder what the mood at the Tippet house is today.....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #100
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DALLAS STARS RELIEVE DOUG ARMSTRONG FROM DUTIES AS GENERAL MANAGER

FRISCO, Tex., -- Dallas Stars Chairman of the Board and Owner Thomas O. Hicks announced today that he has relieved Doug Armstrong from his duties as General Manager of the hockey club.

“As an owner I have to be responsible for one person in Hockey Operations and that is the General Manager of the team,” said Hicks. “I thought that the team needed a change in direction. I know that change can be healthy and it was my determination that this move needed to be made. I want the Dallas Stars to return to being one of the elite teams in the league.

“Doug has been a great member of this organization for 17 years and has been a big part of the success we have had here in Dallas, starting under Bob Gainey and winning seven division titles, two Presidents’ Trophies, making two consecutive Stanley Cup Finals appearances and winning the Stanley Cup in 1999. He has been our General Manager for the past five years, and we’ve been to the playoffs the past four seasons.”

Armstrong’s contract was set to expire at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season.

“There is no question that Doug will continue to have a solid career in hockey as the future general manager of an NHL team,” said Hicks. “I would like to thank him for his efforts and I wish him and his family nothing but the best.”

Hicks said that the team will announce interim positions to run the Stars’ hockey operations department in the near future.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #101
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
This season is going to be a completely bloody mess. Hello 12th place.
*severely traumatized*
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #102
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is nuts.

I'm glad they did it.

I just don't get the timing. The difference between doing it 17 games in, and doing it in the summer is eluding me. Now that you're actually IN season, the personnel moves that can be made are minimal at best. If you want change now IN season, as obviously they do, wouldn't the coach make more sense?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #103
mnmpeanut

the "As an owner I have to be responsible for one person in Hockey Operations and that is the General Manager of the team" statement says it for me. hicks wanted to make a change. he "suggested" that armey fire tipp, armey said he didn't think that was the right move now, so hicks canned him instead. hicks brings in or promotes a new gm and tipp is gone at the end of the season.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #104
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This is nuts.

I'm glad they did it.

I just don't get the timing. The difference between doing it 17 games in, and doing it in the summer is eluding me. Now that you're actually IN season, the personnel moves that can be made are minimal at best. If you want change now IN season, as obviously they do, wouldn't the coach make more sense?
could it be because Tom Hicks is an idiot?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #105
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well Tipp was always gone at the end of the season.

As Lites reminded us before the season, this organization does not generally overreact to things and make rash moves. But after the 5 goals in 5 minutes debacle, we get this?

So Lites points his finger at the fans in the off season and says we're a bunch of Dorito eating fatty's, who just want them to make a lot of moves. We point the finger at Hicks and say that the whole thing is FUBAR anyway. Hicks points his finger at Army, who was pointing his finger at Tippet, to no avail.

The end result of all that is, now everyone gets screwed. Especially the season ticket holders. And Brenden Morrow, who is awesome.

Word of advice to whomever the the new GM is: Sign Ribeiro on your first day.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #106
ames7
Diamond Member

Wow. I've been in meetings all day, just saw this.... I think it's the right move. The problem is definitely more personnel than coaching, I think. I'm still pretty surprised Hicks finally did something.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #107
ames7
Diamond Member

WHOA. Brett Hull & Les Jackson named interim GMs...did not see that one coming. Alright. WTF does this mean? Will they actually do something now? I love Hully, but really? GM already? Kind of scary to me...

I do think this is interesting...the Stars have been incredibly loyal in recent years. In a lot of ways, it's refreshing to see a sports team not kneejerk & let things play out, but I do think it was time for a change right now. I wonder what exactly it means for Tipp since he & Army have been so closely tied in their time in Dallas. Again, if you fired Tipp, who would you hire?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #108
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This, my dear friends, is a sinking ship.

All these folks have made their beds, and now it's time to get in.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #109
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I am hoping for a positive to come from this mess. I would love for brett to teach some goal scoring and toughness to the pansies we trot out there every night. Also release fedoruk and winchester and bring up Junior Lessard and the next best offensive farm teamer immediatly. You don't get any better if you don't play against the big boys. What the fuck does this team have to lose?????
Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #110
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think we can all agree, that this team has nothing to lose. They're on pace for about 10th place in the conference.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #111
mnmpeanut

from ambassador of fun to general manager. i think dave surprenant is in line for jim lites' job.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #112
Smiles
Diamond Member

I voted for Surprenant too, but he didn't get it:

JEFF COGEN COMES “HOME” TO DALLAS STARS AS TEAM PRESIDENT
JIM LITES MOVES TO EXPANDED ROLE WITH HICKS SPORTS MARKETING GROUP

DALLAS -- In the words of the new president of the Dallas Stars, Jeff Cogen, “I’m coming home.”

Dallas Stars Owner Tom Hicks announced this morning the appointment of Cogen as president of the NHL franchise, the cornerstone of Hicks’ interests and investments in sports and its related interests after he bought the hockey club in 1995. For three years, Cogen has served as president of the Texas Rangers, the major league baseball club that Hicks also owns. Concurrently, Hicks announced that Jim Lites, who has had split assignments between his leadership at the Stars and Hicks Sports Marketing Group (HSMG), will now be totally dedicated to, what Hicks defined, as the “global mission” at HSMG.

“The Stars franchise and the Stars fans need a man like Cogen, and I need Jim Lites working full-time on the national and international expansion and marketing of our properties,” said Hicks.

Hicks said the new assignments will take effect immediately. He did not indicate a timetable for the selection of a new president of the Texas Rangers.

“The Rangers have strong depth of management in operations, marketing and ticketing,” said Hicks. “I have asked Jeff to apply his considerable talent and creative energies to the revitalization of the Dallas Stars. At the same time, Jim Lites is ‘on point’ for myriad HSMG projects including the planning and construction of a new stadium for Liverpool FC as well as the efforts to build a hockey arena in the Austin suburb of Cedar Park, Texas.”

Longtime friends and allies, Lites and Cogen came to Dallas after Norman Green brought the team to North Texas from Minnesota in 1993.

Cogen, who has served as president of the Texas Rangers for the last three years, has over 20 years experience in professional sports. Prior to his three-year stint with the Rangers, he served as chief operating officer for the NHL’s Florida Panthers from 2001-2004, responsible for all business operations of the hockey club as well as the business operations of the National Car Rental Center/Office Depot Center.

Lites has served as president of the Dallas Stars in each of the club’s 14 seasons in North Texas. Last year, he also assumed leadership as president of newly-formed Hicks Sports Marketing Group, the venture formed to represent Hicks’ syndicate of interests in sports, advertising sales and media.

About Hicks Sports Marketing Group:
Formed in July 2006, Hicks Sports Marketing Group represents the Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, the Liverpool Football Club and other Hicks-owned interests in sports, media and real estate. In its new role as a full-service marketing agency, Hicks Sports Marketing Group now represents a broad range of sports properties throughout the United States and Europe. Hicks Sports Marketing Group delivers a wealth of expertise in many facets of the sports business: the selling and buying of advertising and sponsorships, strategic branding and sports marketing for international corporations.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #113
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Smiles....wtf is going on around there?

I wonder how the morning skate is going. "Don't worry about all that stuff boys, we have the sharks tonight"
Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #114
Smiles
Diamond Member

You tell me! My head is spinning.

Are you going to be at the game tonight?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I have tickets, but I can't go so I gave them to somebody else.

I need some time away from them anyways. After that last 3 game home stand, and the spectacular ways they showed me they could lose games while I sit there crying in my $7 beer, I think I could do with a couple of games off.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #116
wesbrynt

next time you don't want to go hook me up with some tickets!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

RIP 07-08 Season
Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #118
wesbrynt

This is unbelievable. What the hell is turcos problem. He is letting everything in. Is it time for a goalie change?? Also why everytime the other team scores does daley seem to be camped out right in front of turco? This team is finished, They need to fight through this and move all high priced veterans at the deadline. Norstrom, Boucher, miettinen, As much as it pains me to say it Zubov, and if he wants to go to a contender let Modano out of this hell hole. The only vets I would keep for sure are Morrow, Lehtinen, and Riberio. Every one else is expendable and Not really helping us in the future. We need talented youth now and meittinen, jokinen, and daley are not talented.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #119
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Daley is especially moronic tonight.

And Miettinen continues to steal money from Tom Hicks.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #120
ames7
Diamond Member

3-1...awesome. I'm feeling great about this new regime! </sarcasm>

Seriously, I hate this.