Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Christmas Present for Girlfriend--Diamond

Hey fellow Mavs fans, I am seeking advice. I am looking at buying a Christmas present for my girlfriend. We have been dating for 1.5 years. Also living together. I think she is probably the one.... Anyway I am about to turn 26 this month. She turns 26 in January. I am looking to spend no more than $1,000.00 dollars. (is that too much? too little??)

Also, this is the first piece of jewelry I have bought my girlfriend.

I have been thinking about buying her some sort of "floating diamond" necklace. But when I search for that I don't find much. I was looking for some sort of invisible or small chain or cord with a diamond in the middle. Or maybe a pair of diamond ear rings. Not really sure.

Since most of you have girlfriends/wives, I just wanted to see what you guys thought or what you have bought in the past. I am a bit skeptical to buy this kind of stuff online. There are a few jewelry places near my work, which i have been thinking about stopping by. There is also a Tiffany's that I have been looking at, but I am not sure if i am just paying for the name.(probably). My girlfriend told me to stay away from the jewelry stores in the mall...

Or maybe there are some ladies on this board that can offer up their opinions?

I know my girlfriend told me "no hearts", months ago. So nothing with hearts.

Got any ideas?

100 vCash dollars goes to the poster with the best ideas.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like this is not going to necessarily be a surprise then, eh?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

with the warning that I ain't exactly dear abbey.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
she's tellin you, or at least gonna tell you "surprise me"....

"surprise me" does not mean "you pick out a gift and let me be surprised", but instead it means "i'm gonna let you drop a grand and then I'm gonna spend the next several years dropping subtle comments which lament the fact that you bought me this thing but not the other thing."

"surprise me", then, is the gift that keeps on giving -- you give her both a diamond and reason to be mildly disappointed in you for the next several years....until you get her something bigger and better....

so.....if it ain't gonna be a surprise anyway, i'd take her along and let her do much of the decision making, at least as long as she understands some important parameters (nothing over a grand....)

bear in mind, the thrill of shopping for a diamond = the thrill of owning a diamond for *most women*....

so maybe if she wants you to surprise her, tell her you're going to Arby's or something like that and hit the jewelry store instead.....in this way you get the benefit of giving the gift (seeing her happy, temporary increase in oral sex activity) and you defer part of the responsibility for picking out the wrong thing.

cheers

(*most women* = any women who's oral sex output will increase upon shopping for and receiving a diamond.....*other women* = women who won't increase oral sex output upon receiving a diamond = don't drop a grand for a diamond on other women in any case)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

best gift of all - make it legit. Get her an engagement ring, then spend time apart to make sure it's real.

Second possible gift of all is for you - don't drop a grand on some chick unless you know that she's "the one" then go ahead and spend a lifetime on her.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

do you mean the no hearts thing? that was something she said like our 2nd or 3rd month of dating..i just remembered it.

I don't think she is expecting anything big like jewelry. I think she would be happy with anything, i just want to get her something she can wear around her neck, since he neck is always naked.

she wears pearls a lot in her ears. Thats about it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
with the warning that I ain't exactly dear abbey.....

she's tellin you, or at least gonna tell you "surprise me"....

"surprise me" does not mean "you pick out a gift and let me be surprised", but instead it means "i'm gonna let you drop a grand and then I'm gonna spend the next several years dropping subtle comments which lament the fact that you bought me this thing but not the other thing."

"surprise me", then, is the gift that keeps on giving -- you give her both a diamond and reason to be mildly disappointed in you for the next several years....until you get her something bigger and better....

so.....if it ain't gonna be a surprise anyway, i'd take her along and let her do much of the decision making, at least as long as she understands some important parameters (nothing over a grand....)

bear in mind, the thrill of shopping for a diamond = the thrill of owning a diamond for *most women*....

so maybe if she wants you to surprise her, tell her you're going to Arby's or something like that and hit the jewelry store instead.....in this way you get the benefit of giving the gift (seeing her happy, temporary increase in oral sex activity) and you defer part of the responsibility for picking out the wrong thing.

cheers

(*most women* = any women who's oral sex output will increase upon shopping for and receiving a diamond.....*other women* = women who won't increase oral sex output upon receiving a diamond = don't drop a grand for a diamond on other women in any case)

Well all things aside. Your post was pretty funny. Like i told flaco she isn't expecting anything.

I do like Arby's...and because of this your post is now valid.

That is a good idea about telling her were going somewhere else, then stopping by tiffanys or something.

Then again it would be nice when we open presents with her whole family to get her something nice(there is some pressure there, on me)

i don't know man.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
best gift of all - make it legit. Get her an engagement ring, then spend time apart to make sure it's real.

Second possible gift of all is for you - don't drop a grand on some chick unless you know that she's "the one" then go ahead and spend a lifetime on her.

no way. Not ready for that yet. We have talked about that. We feel like crossing that bridge in at least 2-3 years from now. We have both told each other, not yet.

Plus, I have a lot of things left on my list before i go down that road.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
Plus, I have a lot of things left on my list before i go down that road.
I won't belabor the point, but all of those things will be better if you are married.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd consider something heart-shaped. Tell her you think they look good on her.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'd consider something heart-shaped. Tell her you think they look good on her.
you son of a b!tch
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to point out something wrong here. You are looking for a CHRISTMAS present now? Christmas presents aren't even available for purchase until sometime around noon on December 24th. Why worry about it now?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

U2 hit it on the head. Guys are only allowed to buy christmas gifts on December 24th, right before the mall closes.

as for the gift itself - $1000 seems like A LOT to spend on a girlfriend. I'm not a cheapskate, but the only time i ever spent more than that on my wife was for her engagement ring (and i spent much more than that).

I bought the diamonds for her ring from a diamond dealer, not from a jeweler. Jewelers are grade A rip-offs. Tiffany's stuff should be 50% cheaper than they are, except they have that name attached.

I have actually bought some jewelry online from BlueNile.com. It has a good reputation, and i've been very happy with the stuff from there. Granted, I've never bought a diamond from there.

This was my feeling with girlfriends. I'd buy them a diamond at one time only - when I bought her an engagement ring. I didn't just buy a diamond for anyone i dated (and i've dated a few girls for more than 1.5 years). you can ultimately make your own decision, that's just my viewpoint.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

if her neck is often naked, and she wears pearls in her ears a lot, sounds like the perfect opportunity for a pearl necklace.

Not that kind, perverts.

I actually got a very nice pearl necklace from BlueNile.com for my wife when our daughter was born back in June (Pearl is the birthstone for June). It was very nice.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Several things:

1. u2 is a genius.

2. $1000 is a looooooooooot of money (for me, I'm poor) to spend on someone who isn't your wife, in my opinion. Unless it's on an engagement ring.

3. It sounds like she knows what's going on, and she knows what she likes and what she wants. So you're pretty much stuck now anyways. So let her give you some more hints. She will lead you there.

4(a). Let us know how the diamond sex is.
4(b). Don't ever buy any diamonds for sike.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
4(a). Let us know how the diamond sex is.
4(b). Don't ever buy any diamonds for sike.
#1. Screw flaco
#1a. Hold out for the most cash possible...he gets really disparate

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is also a Tiffany's that I have been looking at, but I am not sure if i am just paying for the name.(probably).
You can always find some good bargains for vintage Tiffany's on Ebay, as long as you buy from a reputable dealer, know what you are looking at, and make sure your girlfriend isn't going to be POed at you for buying her jewelry that isn't brand new. I got myself in a world of sh*t a few years back with an old girlfriend, by buying her the Tiffany's necklace that she had been wanting for quite some time second-hand on ebay, having it cleaned and evaluated by a jeweler, and then giving it to her as a surprise... That gift served as example A1 of my 'cheapness' in just about every fight I had with her for the remainder of our relationship, and I still regard it as being just about the worst $300+ that I ever spent...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Best advice I can give you is exactly what Usually Lurkin said.

Get her an engagement ring, and then make sure she is the right one by spending time apart. It would change your life.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I would like to point out something wrong here. You are looking for a CHRISTMAS present now? Christmas presents aren't even available for purchase until sometime around noon on December 24th. Why worry about it now?

hahaha, hey man i'm trying not to F this up. So i'm starting early. I actually started asking some of the ladies in my office about it about 6 weeks ago.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
if her neck is often naked, and she wears pearls in her ears a lot, sounds like the perfect opportunity for a pearl necklace.

Not that kind, perverts.

I actually got a very nice pearl necklace from BlueNile.com for my wife when our daughter was born back in June (Pearl is the birthstone for June). It was very nice.

LOL
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
U2 hit it on the head. Guys are only allowed to buy christmas gifts on December 24th, right before the mall closes.

as for the gift itself - $1000 seems like A LOT to spend on a girlfriend. I'm not a cheapskate, but the only time i ever spent more than that on my wife was for her engagement ring (and i spent much more than that).

I bought the diamonds for her ring from a diamond dealer, not from a jeweler. Jewelers are grade A rip-offs. Tiffany's stuff should be 50% cheaper than they are, except they have that name attached.

I have actually bought some jewelry online from BlueNile.com. It has a good reputation, and i've been very happy with the stuff from there. Granted, I've never bought a diamond from there.

This was my feeling with girlfriends. I'd buy them a diamond at one time only - when I bought her an engagement ring. I didn't just buy a diamond for anyone i dated (and i've dated a few girls for more than 1.5 years). you can ultimately make your own decision, that's just my viewpoint.
Maybe thats a good idea, No diamonds unless it is one diamond...the big one.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Best advice I can give you is exactly what Usually Lurkin said.

Get her an engagement ring, and then make sure she is the right one by spending time apart. It would change your life.

how much time apart are you guys talking about?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

WELL SO FAR SOME GOOD IDEAS, ALTHOUGH MY vCash is SAFE FOR NOW.

MAYBE I WILL SAVE MY $1k AND BY HER A BOOK.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

maybe i could buy her an "Arch-Card". haha
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Until the wedding (however long you feel is necessary). And not "apart" as in "never see each other." Just limit your time together. Start out seeing each other once a week for a couple weeks, then a couple times a week, then every day if you want. Like when you started out (probably). If you redo the experience with an agreed upon goal of marriage, then you learn a lot about each other. Your established relationship will probably change, and either "absence will make the heart grow stronger", or "out of sight, out of mind". Either way, it's good to find out now.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #25
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Until the wedding (however long you feel is necessary). And not "apart" as in "never see each other." Just limit your time together. Start out seeing each other once a week for a couple weeks, then a couple times a week, then every day if you want. Like when you started out (probably). If you redo the experience with an agreed upon goal of marriage, then you learn a lot about each other. Your established relationship will probably change, and either "absence will make the heart grow stronger", or "out of sight, out of mind". Either way, it's good to find out now.

thats interesting. I never would have thought about doing that. I would think we would want to be around each other more. I guess i will just have to wait and see when i cross that bridge.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPd_ENO3ZT0
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70

haha, that is pretty funny.

It's true.....she pretty much has too.

although i am not complaining in that department.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #28
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Why spend the money on a diamond?

1. Cut a hole in the box...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #29
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

$1000 worth of Zales stock. (Jointly held, just in case.)
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Give her $500 up front and the other half when she seals the deal. Isn't that how everyone does it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #31
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Give her $500 up front and the other half when she seals the deal. Isn't that how everyone does it?
lol, true.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinFuture
Why spend the money on a diamond?

1. Cut a hole in the box...
And that's the way you do it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #33
MavsX
Diamond Member

i do like that skit. Its got a catchy tune
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #34
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
UL told you the correct answer, but I'll give you mine anyway.

For me, it was two weeks. I spent two weeks on a hillside where I saw very few people (thanks to Uncle Sam -- National Guard), and I prayed about it alot, and had lots of time to think away from the normal troubles and problems. I also had no contact with her -- she was PO'd. God told me that she was the one, and I decided that I just really didn't want to spend the rest of my life without her, so 5 days after I got back, I asked her to marry me. 16+ years and 6 kids later, she is the one thing in my life that I don't ever think about changing.

No, I am not her "knight in shining armour" anymore, and she is not my "trophy model" anymore -- but we grew together as one ---- as it should be.

I can honestly say that my relationship with Jesus is the only thing more important to me than my wife. This includes kids, parents, siblings, friends, job, and my life.

Back to your question about how much time. I would suspect that within two weeks, you would know that you either can't see yourself without her- so you might as well make it permanent, or she really isn't the one- so why are you wasting your time looking for love here when you know that she isn't the one.

(Everyone is looking for love -- some love money, some sex, some drugs, some various things -- but everyone is looking for Love)

** Just a note, some people understand that God is Love.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 10-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #35
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

This guy asked for advice about diamonds (or jewelry at least) and he's getting relationship advice.

Just curious...for the people who are suggesting a separation, did you live with your girlfriends before getting engaged?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You'd think one of our female members would offer some estrogen laden advice for our friend....
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #37
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
This guy asked for advice about diamonds (or jewelry at least) and he's getting relationship advice.

Just curious...for the people who are suggesting a separation, did you live with your girlfriends before getting engaged?
Yes - for a few months.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #38
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:

that's true. I/We are not anywhere near getting engaged status yet.

I am not wasting my time with her, i do think she is the one. I just want us to both enjoy dating and let things happen. Eventually things will happen, but why rush it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #39
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
that's true. I/We are not anywhere near getting engaged status yet.

I am not wasting my time with her, i do think she is the one. I just want us to both enjoy dating and let things happen. Eventually things will happen, but why rush it.
C'est la vie

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #40
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:

it is diamond advice - as in think of it as an investment in your relationship (lifetime commitment) rather than buying some sex (short term enjoyment).

I did not live with her until getting married. Why rush it?