Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #1201
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

With Brady out, if the Cowboys don't win it all this year, I'll be shocked.

Have fun with your freebie... [Redskin bitterness]

Last edited by Caseman; 09-07-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #1202
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

the stars do seem to be aligning perfectly this year...lets just hope a stray asteroid doesnt interrupt ><
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #1203
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Julius Jones, who is rather miffed at the Cowboys coaches about being benched for the playoffs last year, thought he'd be a starter in Seattle. That won't be the case this week.

Maurice Morris, who isn't exactly in Marion Barber's class, will start for the Seahawks against the Bills on Sunday.
My word, what on earth makes Julius Jones think he was worthy of being a starter over Marion Barber?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 09-08-2008 at 12:30 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #1204
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
With Brady out, if the Cowboys don't win it all this year, I'll be shocked.

Have fun with your freebie... [Redskin bitterness]
One thing the Brady injury should teach everyone is how easy it is for your season to crumble right before your eyes. If that's Romo goes out there and snaps an ACL, we'd be pretty shot too. I'm just hoping we can make 16 games without any severe injuries to key players.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #1205
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
One thing the Brady injury should teach everyone is how easy it is for your season to crumble right before your eyes. If that's Romo goes out there and snaps an ACL, we'd be pretty shot too. I'm just hoping we can make 16 games without any severe injuries to key players.
What. Brad Johnson > Matt Cassel.

New England should bring back Drew Bledsoe
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #1206
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
My word, what on earth makes Julius Jones think he was worthy of being a starter over Marion Barber?
it's one thing for a running back to think he ought to be a starter over another running back...

....but it's quite another thing when that running back runs like he can't wait to get to the ground before someone hits him.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 AM   #1207
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys Sign QB Brooks Bollinger

link

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys on Monday signed former Jets and Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger to a one-year $605,000 deal, waiving wide receiver Mike Jefferson to make room on the 53-man roster.

The move gives the Cowboys a third quarterback on their depth chart for the first time since 2005.

"I think seven or eight teams only had two quarterbacks, and we were one of those teams," head coach Wade Phillips said. "We had the same case last year, but we feel better about having a third quarterback and a guy that can come in and also learn our system. We think he's talented and does a lot of good things."

Bollinger came in for a visit with the team's staff last Tuesday, but didn't sign his minimum salary contract until today, a move that keeps the Cowboys from having to guarantee his base salary for the entire 2008 season. A five-year veteran, he started nine games for the Jets in 2005, the last of his three years in New York. He started one game last season, a Nov. 11 contest in Green Bay, as a fill-in for injured Minnesota starter Tarvaris Jackson.

He was cut by the Vikings on the final roster reduction date this year, ceding the No. 3 quarterback job in Minnesota to rookie John David Booty. A Rose Bowl winner at Wisconsin, Bollinger has started 10 NFL games with 201 completions on 343 passing attempts for 2,155 yards, eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. His career passing rating is 75.2.

"It's for this year and for the future," Wade Phillips said. "If you have a young one you think is going be there you want to keep him, I think. In his case, we've got a fairly young guy who's got some experience."

The team moved Jefferson up from the practice squad on Saturday and Phillips said the club would like to get him back there if he clears waivers. Sunday's win was the first game Jefferson was active as a professional, but he didn't actually get to play, instead serving as an insurance policy in case of injury.

To sign Jefferson, the Cowboys had to release last year's third-round pick, right guard James Marten, who was claimed off waivers by Oakland Monday. Marten was inactive for every game in 2007.

Bollinger's name and No. 5 were taped atop his new locker, sandwiched between DeMarcus Ware and Marcus Spears.

Signing him allowed the Cowboys to drop quarterback Richard Bartel from the practice squad. With Bollinger now likely to assume scout team quarterback reps in practice, Bartel didn't have a role.

While Phillips said the team would like to retain Jefferson, they also might want to add an offensive linemen to the group, which doesn't currently have one. Ryan Gibbons, a veteran of practice squads in Chicago, Tampa and Jacksonville could return to the Ranch. He was released by the Cowboys on the final cut date, Aug. 30.

Phillips Takes Blame For T.O. Celebration Penalty

It wasn't Wade Phillips shaking out his hamstrings and kneeling into the blocks to show off his sprinter's speed that earned the Cowboys a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty Sunday, but the coach is taking the blame anyway.

After the coach told his players there was no excuse for post-play penalties in 2007, he's giving Terrell Owens a break for the first one of 2008, saying neither he nor the Pro Bowl receiver knew the move would be a penalty.

"I had no idea that touching the ground would be a penalty," Phillips said. "All I knew that was a penalty was using a prop - using the football as a prop or the goalpost or something. I talked to the official about it and he said 'That's the rule,' and I said 'Well, tell us about it.'"

Owens didn't run the celebration by him before the game, but the coach didn't really have a problem with it. Following the 2006 season, the NFL's Competition Committee voted to penalize celebrations involving props, or players going to the ground.

"He didn't know," Phillips said. "And it's my fault he didn't know, because I didn't know, and it's my fault I didn't know."

Cowboys Defense Had Help

It's hard to find much fault with the Cowboys defense in Sunday's win. They allowed just 205 total yards, including only 39 passing yards in the second half with Cleveland trying to stage a comeback.

It helps that the Browns only got 14 offensive snaps in the second half. The Cowboys dominated the time of possession battle, holding the ball 37 minutes and 29 seconds. They chewed up the clock in the fourth quarter, keeping the ball from the 10:13 mark on, with rookie running backs Felix Jones and Tashard Choice continually moving the chains.

Browns Pro Bowl quarterback Derek Anderson had just 114 passing yards, and his favorite target, wide receiver Braylon Edwards, also a Pro-Bowler, only caught two balls for 14 yards.

Cowboys linebacker Greg Ellis did a nice job in bump coverage on Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., so the team's pass rush was limited. DeMarcus Ware registered the team's only sack, and also stripped Anderson on the play after getting around left tackle Joe Thomas, who allowed just one sack in 2007.

"Defensively we played really well," Wade Phillips said. "Part of it was our offense held the ball for 37-and-a-half minutes, but part of that holding the ball is the defense getting it back for them."

Line Shuffling Continues

Part of the credit for Sunday's successful defensive effort must go to the Cowboys defensive line, which helped limit Browns running back Jamal Lewis to just 62 yards. The unit also notched three hits on Derek Anderson.

Jay Ratliff had two of the quarterback hits, and Tank Johnson added another. Ratliff batted down a pass and defensive end Marcus Spears had a tackle for loss.

While the Cowboys defensive coaches will credit their players with far more tackles than the official game scorers, five linemen combined for nine tackles according to the official numbers. The Cowboys use a six-man rotation along the usual three-man front, also throwing in Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen.

In one lineup, Ratliff slides left, opposite starting right end Chris Canty, and Tank Johnson comes in as the nose tackle. After a successful 2007 season playing the nose exclusively, Ratliff began to work some at end this training camp, and Spears got work in the middle. Ratliff said he got about 10 snaps at end Sunday, though Spears didn't get time at the nose. While Ratliff was initially hesitant to the part-time move, he's warming up to it now.

"I feel a little bit better," Ratliff said. "I still have a lot of work to do, little things with my stance, and as far as playing technique, it's a little different out there. Everything's a little slower and my moves are a little bit fast. But I'll adjust."

Short Shots

Adam Jones said his second quarter pass interference penalty in the end zone was intentional. He tackled Braylon Edwards after the Browns receiver got inside positioning on a short post route . . . Wade Phillips said the coaching staff credited linebacker Zach Thomas with a team-high 12 tackles . . . Roy Williams played as the safety valve on the kickoff team . . . Phillips said the Cowboys were pleased with Cory Procter at left guard, but traded for Montrae Holland to compete for a chance to start.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #1208
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

New England just worked out Simms and Rattay... can you imagine if Favre had stayed retired???

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #1209
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

ESPN says Barber will practice Wendesday and play Monday, and Terrance Newman will also play Monday.

Looks like the 'Boys 'll be ready.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 09-09-2008 at 07:14 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #1210
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
New England just worked out Simms and Rattay... can you imagine if Favre had stayed retired???
They would be better off bringing Bledsoe out of retirement.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #1211
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
They would be better off bringing Bledsoe out of retirement.
are you kidding? did you watch any of the Jets game at all? Favre did some impressive stuff... I doubt he holds up for the rest of the season, but he's much more versatile than Drew "I cant move in the pocket" Bledsoe.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #1212
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
are you kidding? did you watch any of the Jets game at all? Favre did some impressive stuff... I doubt he holds up for the rest of the season, but he's much more versatile than Drew "I cant move in the pocket" Bledsoe.
Not the point, Favre is a Jet.

I was pointing out that they brought in Simms and Rattay, and I think Bledsoe would be better than either of these two which are available.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #1213
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Culpepper to Moss... part 2?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #1214
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #1215
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.193cc3c.html

IRVING – As the Cowboys move into October, they do so with a roster filled with talent. Pro Bowlers litter the offense and defense, and their core players mostly are entering their prime and signed well into the future.

The Cowboys also find themselves in excellent salary-cap shape as the NFL heads toward economic uncertainty regarding the collective bargaining agreement.

But all teams build through the draft, and the Cowboys are set up there as well with at least nine picks coming next April.

"It gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility when you have that many picks," executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

The Cowboys are in such an enviable position because of their draft-day maneuverings in April.

They picked up Cleveland's 2009 third-round selection for giving up a fourth-rounder in '08. They got Detroit's fourth-round pick for a third-rounder in '08. They got Miami's sixth-round selection to reunite nose tackle Jason Ferguson with Bill Parcells.

Plus, the Cowboys could receive compensatory picks for losing running back Julius Jones and cornerback Jacques Reeves to Seattle and Houston via free agency.

The only pick the Cowboys could lose is their sixth-rounder to Tennessee, which would complete the Adam Jones trade, provided the cornerback does not get in any off-the-field trouble before the season is over.

In some ways, the job security owner and general manager Jerry Jones enjoys helped the Cowboys make some of those deals.

"General managers and coaches are under pressure to win now," Stephen Jones said. "They're more willing to give up future picks for players now, and you can do some favorable deals."

Stephen Jones said there has to be draft-day discipline. If the team does not believe there is a player worth being picked at a particular spot, Jones says the best thing to do is not force a selection unless absolutely necessary.

In April, the Cowboys did not force a move. As a result, if they need to move up in any of the early rounds next April, they have enough "ammunition," as Jerry Jones calls it, to make a move, possibly for a high-end receiver, offensive lineman or whatever need arises.

In the early 1990s, the Cowboys built their Super Bowl core through the draft. They were able to miss on early-round picks, too, because they had so many selections. In 1993, third-rounder Mike Middleton, a safety, didn't make the team, but safety Brock Marion, a seventh-round pick, became a starter.

But in the mid to late '90s, the drafts were not as productive, partially contributing to the franchise's downfall.

"I think we got cute," Stephen Jones said. "Instead of drafting the best player, we thought, 'Wouldn't it be nice to have a backup to Emmitt [Smith], so let's pick Sherman Williams.' "

Now the theory is draft the best player. After acquiring Jones and selecting Mike Jenkins in the first round, the Cowboys did not need another cornerback, but they scooped up Orlando Scandrick because he was their highest-rated player at the time.

"Now, you're still going to make mistakes on some picks," Stephen Jones said. "This isn't an exact science, but I think we've got a system in place that's going to give us a better chance to have some success than 15, 20 years ago."

sweeeeeet
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote