Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

The new season starts tonight!

Go Lebron!
Go Portland!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ready to see Portland.

I'm also ready to see Derrick Rose shame my fellow keeper league owneres for letting me grab him so late.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Go Boston : )

Go Portland : )

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

GO MAVS!!!

('eff whoever is playing today...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

David Stern got boo'd. Ha!
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Lebron can get up.

Contact Me
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Leon Powe.....dear GOD!!!!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm also ready to see Derrick Rose shame my fellow keeper league owneres for letting me grab him so late.
I wanted him badly...but waited too late to nab him.

great first game for the kid. 11pts, 9 dimes, 3 steals....sure he had 4 TOs...but I'll take that every day if he is getting me the other.

I love this kids game.

Can't wait to see Beasley tomorrow night.

Portland can't throw it in the ocean right now...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-28-2008 at 10:40 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Lebron is a douche.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Man...I love Rudy Fernandez's game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

anyone have a link to the Portland game???

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO View Post
anyone have a link to the Portland game???
No. No I do not. And now you know.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm ready to see Portland.

He impressed the heck out of me last year in the tourney. He's going to be a good one for sure.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

So Oden is hurt again already? Anyone know the severity of the injury? Hopefully not too bad, I was kind of looking forward to seeing him play this year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

What's all this about Oden hurting his foot? I've been doin some reading for school and haven't been watching.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So Portland...thanks for killing my sports buzz. I wanted to see a good game.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
alby
Guru

Oden = fragile = tmac

Contact Me
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he (and every other non-Mavs Western Conference star) is out for the year.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #19
alby
Guru

Oden is a star?

Contact Me
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Oden is a star?
more a media darling than anything thus far...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

He still hasn't scored in a game, right?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Not a real one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
he didn't tonight...

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Oden is a star?
He must be..he looks like a 50 year old dude dressed in a suit on the front of espn.com!! Nice white tie though.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #25
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Man the Lakers look scary good. I see why they're the favorites.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #26
alby
Guru

F em

Contact Me
Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the Lakers should be able to win it all this year unfortunately

I hope they get injured, all of them.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

you should never hope someone gets injured

that said, last night showed why I don't have the blazers in the playoffs. Oden has proven over the last 3 years to be injury prone (much like we dock the rockets a few points every year because of Yao) and I firmly believe that roy is very overrated.

Rudy looked good though
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

1st game of the season and we're calling Roy overrated? sheesh. The kid is a stud.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #30
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
you should never hope someone gets injured
As long as it's not a life-threatening injury, there is nothing wrong with wishing injury upon a professional athlete who makes millions of dollars. That's part of why they are paid so much.

I never wish injury on collegiate athletes (even OU players....) but when it comes to the pros, F' em. Like I said, I hope every single non-Mavs WC star gets injured every single year. I don't feel the least bit bad for them.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-29-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #31
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I watched him take and miss a LOT of terrible shots last season. Remember, I live in the NW. I watch almost every blazer game. There just always seemed to be a trend of him missing important shots, or taking horrible ones.

IMO Aldridge will be a better player than Roy when it's all said and done.

not saying roy isn't good.. he's just not all-star good. not "as good as everyone says" good.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
fluid.forty.one

sike I just looked at his numbers and I'm pretty impressed. watching him every game I would have thought his shooting % would have been under 45%, which it isn't.

Maybe it's the timing of when he always seems to go on a shooting slump. Idk. Either way, someone can be good but still be "overrated"
Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
sike I just looked at his numbers and I'm pretty impressed. watching him every game I would have thought his shooting % would have been under 45%, which it isn't.

Maybe it's the timing of when he always seems to go on a shooting slump. Idk. Either way, someone can be good but still be "overrated"
but to be overrated people would need to be calling him a superstar (which he isn't) instead of a star (which he is).

Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #34
fluid.forty.one

lol my original comment wasn't tryin to spur up some debate. I'm just saying I'm not AS high on him as most people.

There are also different levels within "stars". Josh Howard is a star for instance, but not everyone thinks the same things about his game. Some people will have him higher or lower than others.

The J-Ho comparison is also good because we all know Josh is REALLY good when he's cutting to the basket, and other days he's REALLY bad when he's only taking fall away shots. Roy has a lot more of those bad days than I think people realize.

So yes Roy is a star, but on the lower end of the star list. It's not as cut and dry as Superstars and Stars.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-29-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So yes Roy is a star, but on the lower end of the star list. It's not as cut and dry as Superstars and Stars.
I understand your comparison...and for the record would suggest that Brandon Roy is more of a star than Josh Howard.

I just don't know who is overrating Roy that would have required your original comment. (not trying to debate about it either...its just that your original comment took be aback a bit)

The kid is 24 and a stud 2 guard.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #36
alby
Guru

I'd take him.

Contact Me
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I just don't know who is overrating Roy that would have required your original comment.

The kid is 24 and a stud 2 guard.
oh, that's my bad. I only typed it here because this is my basketball outlet. It was built up from all my fair-weather blazer fan friends have been going on and on and on for the past few weeks about Roy and the blazers. THEY overrate roy for sure, so that's what I meant by he's overrated.

don't mind FF1, move along move along
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'll trust the one who watches more Blazer games.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #39
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I'll trust the one who watches more Blazer games.
well I only brought it up because all I hear is portlanders homerisitic opinions on Roy so people in Dallas could have a much more realistic view on him (aka they know he's not the next kobe )

I was merely pointing out my opinion of Roy vs. my RL friends who are blazer fans.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #40
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also biased against him because he's not a Maverick, so I like people taking him down a notch anyway.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain seargantry, got a bit fluffy in here, great exceptations, guerillablackformavsfan!, i hate the nba, lakers vs ??? finals 2009, not enough tags, refs will win it all, shutup closet spurs fan, special orders upset us, sweet & sour chicken, tanking 101, utah sucks! woo!!!, you'll do it my way