Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #81
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I think I heard this is the first time they're 2-0 in 9 years?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I think I heard this is the first time they're 2-0 in 9 years?
Yes sir. They've been starting on the road a ton, and starting against the AL West.

And they've sucked. That didn't help either.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #83
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

HELL YEAH

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #84
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

It was a bit funny to hear on the broadcast about the early season friendly schedule the Rangers have.

I am curious, don't those teams view the Rangers as an early season friendly opponent?

Oh well, at least we have started off well in the first two games...I believe their magic number now is 160!!!

Between them and the current play of the Mavs...who knows, anything is possible...then again, our beloved Stars got hit by the injury bug, so for them, we will have to wait until next year...Already looking forward to training camp!!!

Tip of my hate to a good game today by the Rangers...may they start the season with a sweep!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #85
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

5-0 heading into the 2nd inning

GO RANGERS

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Good LORD Ian Kinsler is on freaking fire.

Goodness this is fun.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #87
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

BOOM!

Kinsler

Man, this team can hit.

Think the Indians fans are feeling good about their starting pitching?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #88
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

cruz make it 8-1 with sac fly - was he intentionally walked the first time up? can't tell from the net coverage - just saw walked on 4 pitches.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #89
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

No just pitched around.

McCarthy is really killing my Ranger buzz right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #90
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah...the Rangers better just keep hitting.

9 should be enough...when Milwood and Padilla start. Might need 10-12 just make sure the rest of the time.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #91
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

9 should be enough...when Milwood and Padilla start. Might need 10-12 just make sure the rest of the time.
To be fair, the wind is absolutely ridiculous out there today. 40 mph winds bouncing off the Gold Club and channeling out to right field.

But...McCarthy has got to stop nibbling and get some efficient innings under his belt. Stupid to go to the bullpen in the fourth or fith inning with a six run lead.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #92
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm not that impressed with Padilla. Yesterday he was in trouble a lot, especially compared to Millwood in the opener. 9 (our average so far) should be enough every night, but counting on CJ and finishers will always be a ride to buckle up on.

I think the conditions today are making it rough to judge McCarthy but he's doing fine.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #93
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

3-0 baby! Wasn't real pretty today but hey, we're the only undefeated team in the AL so I'm not complaining.

McCarthy had good stuff today just couldn't locate his fastball to save his life. He's got to get more efficient to work deeper into games.

I love me some Rangers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #94
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The last time the Texas Rangers started the season 3-0 was 1996!!! That was a special year...let's hope the Rangers can keep this going...one game, one series at a time!!!

Next up...the road in Detroit...let's see how we do with the bottom of our pitching staff in a pitchers park...can we generate enough offense to support our pitching?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #95
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Regardless of where you think this team will end up, God, it feels good to not fall flat on our faces at the start of the season.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #96
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking SWEET so far.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #97
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, couldn't have been a better starting series! it feels great to wear my Texas Rangers gear and not catch crap for it. Our run average is pretty nice

Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #98
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

I have to cut my hair so my Rangers cap fits again.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #99
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

First place Texas Rangers!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-09-2009 at 06:36 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #100
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

forget just the AL

FIRST OVERALL

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #101
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Roger...

First place Texas Rangers!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #102
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, Nolan Ryan

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #103
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

First-place Texas Rangers.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #104
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm considering actually giving Tom Hicks some more of my money for this crap this season. I didn't go once last year, but all my dollars are belong to Hicks anyway because of my Stars season tickets.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #105
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
thank you, Nolan Ryan
Um...no. Unless you're thanking Nolan for not firing JD.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #106
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

12:00 start time today

So...anybody think the race for MVP is going to between Kinsler and Josh?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #107
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
thank you, Nolan Ryan
actually the only thing that worries me about the long term direction of this franchise is nolan ryan. His philosophies pertaining to starting pitching are the same as what made dusty baker worthless as a manager.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
actually the only thing that worries me about the long term direction of this franchise is nolan ryan. His philosophies pertaining to starting pitching are the same as what made dusty baker worthless as a manager.
Oh I don't know that I would go that far. I defintely agree that some of Ryan's philosohpies cause a bit of concern, butg I haven't seen or heard anything to make me think Nolan is going to force pitchers to stay out there longer than they should.

In fact I've heard Nolan specifically say that he stays out of coaching decisions. He's more about getting pitchers to put themsevles into shape to the point that they can figure out what their own limjits are.

Now Maddux is also someone who preaches extending pitchers, but I'd be very surprised if we ran into the kind of issues that Dusty Bakers brings to teams.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #109
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Oh, Benson, you sod. If this happens again, should we expect Feldman?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #110
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Benson's been bitten by some really poor defense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #111
SMC0007
Guru

Benson was bitten by poor pitching. He sucked a hard one and offeres very very little. I would much rather get a younger guy in there, if we're making mistakes and giving up that mayn runs go ahead and commit to the youth movement.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #112
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm not saying Benson was great, by any stretch, but Salty made a bad throw for the unearned run, Mike Young missed an automatic double play ball, and Nellie Cruz badly misplayed a fly ball that would have had the team out of the inning before the grand slam.

Benson actually looked pretty darn good in the first three frames. He trailed off after that for sure, but take those two miscues away and he gives up maybe three runs instead of eight.

It's very importance economically for the Rangers to stay competitive for as long as possible this season. I have no problem with them rolling with Benson long enough to see if he has anything.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #113
SMC0007
Guru

Yeah, my comment about the youth movement was because I just don't think Benson has more to offer than some of the other guys waiting to take his place. Michael Youngs gonna take a bit before he sures up 3rd defensively. Nelson Cruz's error was bad indeed, that hurt.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #114
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Where's the guy who told me how good madrigal is?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #115
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Put Nolan out there.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #116
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

yep someone last season jumped my ass because I said madrigal sucked well it looks like he sucks
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #117
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Madrigal has been a pitcher for less than four years. He's only in the majors because of injuries to other people.

Young pitchers that are up before they are ready due to extenuating circumstances do not "suck". They are simply not ready.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #118
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't Madrigal will ever "get it".

Where has the Rangers offense gone? Sure, Gallarraga had some very nice stuff, but Verlander did not. Served up some very hittable pitches to our power hitters, and they failed to even make contact. We've been getting a little unlucky when it comes to hits -- Detroit has got several hits just by poor hits to the right spot, while we've had good hits to the wrong spot of the defense -- but still, to have a combined 5 hits in two games or something like that? Not acceptable.

Furthermore...I'm not wanting to jump the gun on Chris Davis, but man he is awful right now. Verlander served up one of the fastballs (slower variety, not 98 mph, more like 94) and Davis completely whiffed at it for a strike-out. You know, if he had undersliced it got on top of it or swung late or early, it would have been a little more bearable. But he whiffed at it and completely missed any contact.

Do the red uniforms make us play better? Seems as if it does so far.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #119
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I"d love to know the basis for you opinion on Madrigal never getting it. I have no idea if he will or not but I know that he hasn't been a pitcher very long and that the Rangers are very high on him. I also know that he'll be back in the minors where he belongs if everyone ever gets healthy. Writing off someone just because they're not performing well now is stupid. People used to feel the same way about Nelson Cruz too.

If you don't think Verlander had good stuff today then I'm not sure what "good stuff" is to you.

Verlander was fantastic. His fastball has incredible movement to go along with great velocity.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #120
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I"d love to know the basis for you opinion on Madrigal never getting it. I have no idea if he will or not but I know that he hasn't been a pitcher very long and that the Rangers are very high on him. I also know that he'll be back in the minors where he belongs if everyone ever gets healthy. Writing off someone just because they're not performing well now is stupid. People used to feel the same way about Nelson Cruz too.

If you don't think Verlander had good stuff today then I'm not sure what "good stuff" is to you.

Verlander was fantastic. His fastball has incredible movement to go along with great velocity.
1) I don't have a basis for opinion, just a feeling. I know, not scientific. I've seen flashes, and I hope he developes into a good relief pitcher, but I just have this feeling that he'll never get it. As I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'm not writing him off, and he deserves a legit shot to prove himself.

2) Let be clarify on Verlander: He had a great outing, threw good stuff. But his stuff wasn't 2 hit good. When what Verlander is throwing that good stuff, you have to capitalize when he throws a bad pitch. He did throw some bad pitches, but the Rangers whiffed at them. To say Verlander was bad is incorrect, you're right. But I really did see several good pitches to hit, right dead smack in the middle of the plate, to Josh and Chris and Cruz. Cruz was the only one that even made contact, and he was close...just a little bit under the pitch. Josh and Davis? 2 K's.

Tags
a swing and a fluff, double fluff, fluff pole, fluff rodriguez, fluff-wash-repeat, fluffy reputation, got a bit fluffy in here, grand fluff, infield fluff rule, inside the fluff home run, its 123 fluffs ur out, juice up the fluff, no-fluffer, peanuts & fluffer-jack, performanceenhancingfluff, seventh inning fluff, that fluff is outta here, walk-off fluffer, you guys are f'ing gay