Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Ugh, Frankie. When he's bad, he doesn't just give up 1 or 2 runs, if we have a 4 run lead he'll give up 5, if he blows this one we'd be down 4-3 more likely than 3-3.

Dude gave up a hit and walked a dude.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #42
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

His stuff is just gone, hitters are pounding him like mad right now. All big hits are on the first pitch, put this dude on the DL or something and try Feliz at closer.

Ok we give up three runs in the ninth after FELIZ BREEZED THROUGH THE 8th, that pisses me off more than anything. If i'm the starting pitcher and i duel with Felix and get the best of him only to have some headcase blow the lead in the 9th, *sigh*.

Always somethin'.

Last edited by JCmasta; 04-10-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

BLeah.

They should be 4-1.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine we'll see Frankie in another save situation anytime soon.

*sigh*

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #45
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Frankie Francisco f***ing fails forever.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #46
JCmasta

only 2-3 right now, so let's get the closer thing solved so we can put it behind us for the rest of the season hopefully. Can't have faith or confidence in a guy when your stuff is that bad, so hopefully we don't stick with or stand behind Frankie. Give the closer spot to the guy best fit to be the closer, which is Feliz.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #47
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

It is official - Feliz is the closer. Winning big today too.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #48
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #49
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice win tonight. Everyone contributed and Arias is playing quite well lately. When your 3rd string catcher that played his first game for you knocks in the same amount of runs himself as the other team, things look good for you.

Hopefully not lost in this is another great outing by Feldman. What a stud he is turning into. Not a big K guy and likely never will be but he just gets outs.

Hopefully we get more from the ace of the staff, (for those that think he DIDN'T pitch today).
Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #50
JCmasta

Feliz w/ the save! I'd rather him become a star closer than a ok SP, he has stuff that can get through guys for 1 or 2 innings but i don't know if he can keep blowing it by guys for 6-7. As a closer he gives me peace of mind and that's what you want from a closer.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #51
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well, I definitely hope that he moves into a permanent starting position because I think there is more value there for the team. The movement on his fastball and the improvement of his secondary pitches make me confident that he will be successful in that role when he finally is given the opportunity.

Of course if the worst-case scenario is him becoming a dominant closing pitcher for the next 10-15 years, well, that isn't horrible I guess.

Great win. Harden lost the Ks today and had high pitch counts early on but he calmed that down and if not for a stupid throw by Teagarden to 2nd after a WALK the save opportunity would likely have been in the 9th instead of the 10th.

Nice to be the team winning in the last inning instead of the other way around though.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #52
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Only got to watch through the 7th, then had to get on a plane...just read about the result while waiting in Sacramento Airport for my next flight to Seattle.

Cruz is a beast, and the Rangers have the makings of one hell of a murderers row...Hamilton, Vlad, Cruz and Davis...

Looking good...hope they keep this going!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #53
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Cruz is a beast, and the Rangers have the makings of one hell of a murderers row...Hamilton, Vlad, Cruz and Davis
Might want to reconsider Davis. Really hope he turns it around (and I still think he will) but so far he's been terrible. At least Josh is showing serious signs of improvement...drawing walks, and finally hit some extra base hits in the past few games. Davis is just a crapload of K's.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #54
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCmasta View Post
Ugh, Frankie. When he's bad, he doesn't just give up 1 or 2 runs, if we have a 4 run lead he'll give up 5, if he blows this one we'd be down 4-3 more likely than 3-3.

Dude gave up a hit and walked a dude.
Miss CJ already? I mean, allowing two runs in a three run game but still getting the save is better than what Frankie did with his two chances.

Though damn he was impressive his first outing as SP. Looking forward to Wednesday.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #55
JCmasta

Colby walking dudes any taking every guy to a full count in the 1st inning, not looking good in his 2nd start.

Got out of a bases loaded jam by striking out the next two hitters, crisis averted.

Last edited by JCmasta; 04-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #56
JCmasta

Hamilton caught stealing, Cruz hits a HR 2 pitches later. Please don't try to steal anything other than second unless it's absolutely needed.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #57
JCmasta

Nippert sucks.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #58
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Ranger Win AGAIN!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #59
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Ranger Win AGAIN!!!
First place Texas Ranger??!!??
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #60
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Harrison has been awesome today. 7IP, 0ER, 4H, 1W, 3K... Huff has been almost just as good except for one bad pitch to Young.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #61
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sigh... Errors strike again... 3-2 Cleveland.

Hopefully we can come back in the 9th.

I find myself feeling the same way about Choo as I did about Wells.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #62
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I am really, REALLY getting tired of these punch-in-the-gut-other-team-absolutely-did-NOT-deserve-to-win losses. I would rather lose 12-4 than 3-2 with the runs coming in the 8th or 9th.

Granted you can't expect to win with 4 friggin hits and 2 friggin runs, but without those 2 errors we win this damn game. Sigh!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-15-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #63
JCmasta

We need to get the bullpen fixed, as much as CJ wants to start i want him as the 8th inning setup man. So basically you'd have Olliver-CJ-Feliz and throw in Francisco/Nippert whenever.

Also what the hell was that lineup they put out there? Treanor, Planco, Garko, i mean really dude, it's like they wanted to give cleveland easy outs.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #64
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

The loser of today's game wasn't Matt Harrison. It was Ron Washington. C'mon! The guy had over 100 pitches going into the 8th inning. I was following the game on mlb.com while I was at work and I just figured that okay, Harrison was done for the day and we'd see someone relieve him to begin the 8th. It didn't surprise me that much that Harrison stayed in for at least the first batter. I was ok with that. The first guy gets on by an error. Hmm. The next guy gets on by an error. BAM that's it right there. I don't care if Harrison wasn't at fault for letting those two guys get on, because he wasn't. They both got on by errors. But at that point, Harrison has over 110 pitches. YOU HAVE TO TAKE HIM OUT. I would have pulled Harrison 100 times out of 100 in that situation. And then Harrison gives up the three run HR to the next guy. Then Harrison gets pulled. Too late, Wash. You killed our chances. Somewhere Grady Little is smiling.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #65
JCmasta

Too many errors, i don't like the look of this team so far. On our way to getting swept in embarrassing fashion.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #66
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Teagarden is horrible. I know he's supposed to be a great defensive catcher, but I don't see it at all.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #67
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh
Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #68
DallasMavs_41

DallasMavs_41 is on a distinguished road

Angels fan here, Yankkes are stompin on the Rangers, Angels won today!!!!!
DallasMavs_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly think Teagarden has shown that he's pretty advanced defensively. He's not perfect, but he's pretty darn quality.

At this point, though, I'm not even sure he's going to hit well enough to be a backup. He looks as bad as I've ever seen a hitter look at the major league level.

Uggg. This offense is awful right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #70
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

It doesn't look like Teagarden has the bat speed to hit a major league fastball. Granted, Burnett has a plus-plus one, but for the most part Burnett was throwing 2/4 seamers to him all day and he was late on all of them. He couldn't adjust.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 04-17-2010 at 04:39 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #71
tcat075
Diamond Member

This offense is terrible. Now that Cruz and Vlad are coming back down to earth slightly (neither of their batting averages are over .400 as they were for nearly the entire season to this point), this offense is even more terrible.

Clearly, this means that hte season is over. We're going to go 5-157.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I certainly think Teagarden has shown that he's pretty advanced defensively. He's not perfect, but he's pretty darn quality.

At this point, though, I'm not even sure he's going to hit well enough to be a backup. He looks as bad as I've ever seen a hitter look at the major league level.

Wasn't the defense as bad yesterday as you can get? Offense awful, defense awful...not a good formula!

Last year I kept hearing this was supposed to be our year. Has something gone terribly wrong, or is it just a shaky start?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've been underwhelmed by Teagarden defensively.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #74
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Wasn't the defense as bad yesterday as you can get? Offense awful, defense awful...not a good formula!

Last year I kept hearing this was supposed to be our year. Has something gone terribly wrong, or is it just a shaky start?
I think it's too early to even call it a shaky start.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #75
JCmasta

This is looking like the old rangers, walks, errors, our pitchers hitting guys and letting the on base, our hitters either K out or hit a home run.

Just fire the whole staff(RW, Hurdle, etc but leave Maddux) and trade Hamilton and Davis. Need to start all over again.

Last edited by JCmasta; 04-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #76
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Has Teagarden thrown a ball to 2nd on a steal attempt all season that didn't BOUNCE it's way up to Elvis?

He needs to be in AA or AAA. Treanor has been just as effective defensively and far, FAR superior with the bat.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
Has Teagarden thrown a ball to 2nd on a steal attempt all season that didn't BOUNCE it's way up to Elvis?

He needs to be in AA or AAA. Treanor has been just as effective defensively and far, FAR superior with the bat.
Eh..I don't really agree with this. I mean, he needs to be in AAA once Salty comes back, but Teagarden is a very good defensive catcher. And beyond that, he has a stellar reputation for calling games. He wouldn't be up here at all if he weren't a great defensive catcher.

Having said all that, he's so horrendous offensively that they're going to have to send him out when (if?) Salty comes back.

BTW, Rich Harden is going to have to pitch three complete game no hitters before I'm excited for his turn in the rotation to come up. What a complete power drain it is to watch that guy pitch.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-18-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #78
tcat075
Diamond Member

This offense is good for 2 runs (or less) a game. That's effing terrible.

Oh, and I don't think Teagarden has been great defensively so far (just average or maybe slightly above average) but Treanor has let 4 Yankees steal so far, not thrown any out.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #79
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Eh..I don't really agree with this. I mean, he needs to be in AAA once Salty comes back, but Teagarden is a very good defensive catcher. And beyond that, he has a stellar reputation for calling games. He wouldn't be up here at all if he weren't a great defensive catcher.
I understand his reputation as a great defensive catcher, but thus far in 2010 he's not lived up to that reputation. I say that having watched the majority of his appearances this year. I'm certainly no expert, but my eyes tell me he's got issues throwing the ball.

All of that is besides the point, which we seem to agree on. He does NOT need to be the #2 catcher when Salty comes back unless he improves tremendously between now and then when he's at the plate. I've been very happy with what Treanor's done and i'm willing to let him take over for Teaparty until he demonstrates some level of competency swing the bat in the minors.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #80
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
This offense is good for 2 runs (or less) a game. That's effing terrible.

Oh, and I don't think Teagarden has been great defensively so far (just average or maybe slightly above average) but Treanor has let 4 Yankees steal so far, not thrown any out.
I didn't get to concentrate on the game, but who all stole off of him? Gardner was one I remember...which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Tags
americas sucktime, blindhomerparade, cadban knows dick, feldman=failman, flaco=ultimate pessimist, fluffy blows so harden, magic # = 0, playoff bound