Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #81
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
I understand his reputation as a great defensive catcher, but thus far in 2010 he's not lived up to that reputation. I say that having watched the majority of his appearances this year. I'm certainly no expert, but my eyes tell me he's got issues throwing the ball.

All of that is besides the point, which we seem to agree on. He does NOT need to be the #2 catcher when Salty comes back unless he improves tremendously between now and then when he's at the plate. I've been very happy with what Treanor's done and i'm willing to let him take over for Teaparty until he demonstrates some level of competency swing the bat in the minors.
This season I would agree that he hasn't been up to his usual level defensively, although I don't know that I agree on his issues throwing the ball. Runners are only 3-2 on him, I believe.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #82
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Bah... wrong thread, my fault.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 04-18-2010 at 08:42 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #83
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I guarantee the Rangers don't lose again today.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #84
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
I guarantee the Rangers don't lose again today.
I guess I'll be the pessimist...I guarantee they won't win.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #85
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Hey Red Sox you're struggling right? Well here are the rangers, you can thank me later after the series.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #86
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Freaking joke team, should just wipe the Astros and Rangers off the face of the earth and forget we even had baseball teams in Texas.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #87
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Fu.... Never mind, my Tourette is kicking in...Fu**, Sh**, Da**, ********
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #88
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Trade everyone. Tar and feather Hicks. Send Wash a packin.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #89
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

This team continues to break my heart.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #90
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Screw this team, seriously, I'm really glad we got a new and improved closer that doesn't suck because we use him all the time (like not even once in the past week).
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #91
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
Send Wash a packin.
#1 thing that needs to happen...immediately. How the F do you put Frankie back out there in a game that's actually still in doubt? F'ing horrible.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #92
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that since Frankie has been demoted he's pitched in even MORE pressure packed situations (tie game bottom of the 9th on the road), with even LESS room for error, and Feliz is barely pitching at all.

Screw Ron Washington, and screw the stupid "Closer" moniker that so many teams brutally misuse. Tie game bottom of the 9th is THE least room for error situation in the freaking game. Why wouldn't you ALWAYS pitch your best reliever in that spot????

*sigh*

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #93
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

At least the Mavs are fun to watch.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #94
JCmasta

How we gonna blow this lead?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #95
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

What a depressing night of sports that was. We just couldn't capitalize when needed. Harrison struggled. Borbon was robbed. Red Sox get lucky as hell. Same old, same old.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #96
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Nice win overshadowed by a GREAT FING DRAFT PICK BY DALLAS!!!

Also, we have a new first baseman. I knew Smoak would be up very early - hopefully he doesn't struggle and hits the ground running! Hard to be worse than Davis has been.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #97
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm very excited by the arrival of the Smoak Monster.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #98
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

If we can start getting production out of the 1B position AND we get Kinsler back that should definitely help our offense. Hamilton is hopefully getting back on track and will start hitting for more power and Andrus has been playing a good leadoff position, (minus last night). Borbon is getting more comfortable now and hopefully Max is next to be called up, (because Teagarden is officially the suck). Hopefully things start getting a little easier with NY and Boston out of the way and we can get into a little groove here.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #99
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I don't think Max and Teagarden are in any way related anymore. It's become clear that the organization doesn't consider Max a major league catcher.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #100
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Feel sorry for Chris Davis...seemed like a good guy. But if Smoak lives up to 75% of the hype...this was a great move!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #101
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't think Max and Teagarden are in any way related anymore. It's become clear that the organization doesn't consider Max a major league catcher.
What is he playing in AAA again?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
What is he playing in AAA again?
Well there's no reason not to play him at catcher in the minors. But I think they've made it clear that he's no longer a catching prospect unless something changes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #103
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

CJ has been pretty good thus far, correct?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #104
JCmasta

Rangers need to get their stuff together soon in case the mavs are sent packing early. Can't believe Neftali blew that save, good thing we were at home for it. He was squeezed a bunch and dudes kept fouling off balls like crazy so i'll give him a pass. He's not Frank "Ono I BLOW SAVE AGAINNNN!" Francisco yet.

Can't wait for Kinsler to come back.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #105
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Feliz looked good, but hit some tough luck.

Elvis sure came through though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #106
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
CJ has been pretty good thus far, correct?
Yes. 1.37 ERA.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #107
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Yes. 1.37 ERA.
Wow.

Smoak nabs two walks in his first game...already proving more disciplined than Chris Davis.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #108
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I thought Smoak looked great for one game. His approach at the plate is EXACTLY what this team needs. You'd expect a young guy, in his first MLB appearance would be a little over-anxious. Not Smoak. He just took some borderline pitches until he got what he really wanted...when those never came he got us a baserunner.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #109
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Wow.

Smoak nabs two walks in his first game...already proving more disciplined than Chris Davis.
Well, CD isn't supposed to be as disciplined. He's supposed to strikeout, draw very few walks, and hit homers. Unfortuantly, he hasn't done the latter. So saying Smoak is more patient...well, to me, that's a given.

As said, Smoak is much more patient, and also hits for a higher average, but doesn't quite have the power CD does. He'll hit homers, but not like CD has the potential to (see: rookie season callup).
Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #110
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Wow....Detroit has to start their worst reliever because their starter is sick. We've got our opening day starter on the mound, we've got easily the biggest crowed since opening day, and we had a four run lead.

*sigh*

BTW, Teagarden's struggles are officially in his head. He's a better catcher than this. He can't get to AAA fast enough at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #111
tcat075
Diamond Member

When did Feldman become so bad?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #112
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

WTF happened to our starting pitchers? Jesus. When was the last time we held someone to 0 runs in a first inning?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #113
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
When did Feldman become so bad?
It was a rather unlucky start for him.. He gave up three straight hits that lead to three runs.. two of the hits weren't hit hard enough to break a sheet of glass.. both of the infield variety. His next earned run was the fault of Teagarden. Yes, it was ruled a WP, but it looked as if TT could have actually caught the pitch just off of the ground. If not, he definitively should have blocked it instead of allowing it to go straight through his legs. Then, his inability to field the throw from Young(?) gave the Tigers another run.

He's had a couple of bad innings impact his ERA.. team's have been able to put together a couple of weak hits with a double or something similar.

One thing I don't like about him is that he's throwing the cutter more and the sinker less.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #114
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Feliz gives up back-to-back jacks in the top of the 9th, Rangers lose by 2. This franchise might not be cursed, but it sure feels like it sometimes.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #115
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It was a rather unlucky start for him.. He gave up three straight hits that lead to three runs.. two of the hits weren't hit hard enough to break a sheet of glass.. both of the infield variety. His next earned run was the fault of Teagarden. Yes, it was ruled a WP, but it looked as if TT could have actually caught the pitch just off of the ground. If not, he definitively should have blocked it instead of allowing it to go straight through his legs. Then, his inability to field the throw from Young(?) gave the Tigers another run.

He's had a couple of bad innings impact his ERA.. team's have been able to put together a couple of weak hits with a double or something similar.

One thing I don't like about him is that he's throwing the cutter more and the sinker less.
Hmm. I didn't see the beginning of the game, so thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well maybe I'm wrong about Max. The Rangers sent Tea down and called up Max just now.

Or maybe they're just desperate and don't have any other options.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #117
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Dangit...Mark Cuban is a jinx...there he goes bad mouthing San Antonio and the next thing we know the Dallas Teams in all sports are LOSING!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well maybe I'm wrong about Max. The Rangers sent Tea down and called up Max just now.

Or maybe they're just desperate and don't have any other options.
You were right the first time, about being wrong.

They also sent Salty to AAA as well. Just Matt and Max now...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #119
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Matt Treanor has been a freaking godsend.

And that just says everything you need to know about the Rangers' catching situation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #120
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Matt Treanor has been a freaking godsend.

And that just says everything you need to know about the Rangers' catching situation.
You were still wrong.

Tags
americas sucktime, blindhomerparade, cadban knows dick, feldman=failman, flaco=ultimate pessimist, fluffy blows so harden, magic # = 0, playoff bound