Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Official Rangers off season thread

The Rangers are coming off of their best season in the history of the franchise. But, there are a number of key questions:

1. How much and for how long are you willing to go on Lee?
2. Do you sign Vlad? If not, then who DH's?
3. Do you try and ink any of the following to long term deals: Hamilton, Cruz, Colby Lewis, CJ Wilson.
4. Do you give Feliz a shot in the rotation or do you leave him as closer?
5. What's your rotation next year?
6. Do you expect anything out of Eric Hurley?
7. Is it time to move Young to DH? If so, who plays 3rd?
8. Murphy or Borbon?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the official thread?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Official threads can die for all I care.

Another question....

what to do about the catcher situation
and
are you content going forward with Moreland at first?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Is Molina done?

And on Moreland.... yes.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my opinion on a few of them.

If we can get him around $3mm, I hope he will be here. Otherwise, I understand not taking the option at $9mm.

My opinion is, leave him as the closer.

This is interesting. If Vlad is gone, it's actually a pretty good idea. BUT, will Young except that role, you think? He didn't take well to moving from SS at first. Will he except an even lesser role?

8. Murphy or Borbon?

Murphy. Would be nice to get Carl Crawford, keep using Murphy as your 4th outfielder and see about packaging Borbon for a 3 basemen that can play better defense. I love Young, but he's lost some reaction time, lets face it. I was on the Borbon bandwagon after last season, but he was sort of a disappointment this year. Think about it -- Crawford, Nelly and J-Ham. Best outfield in baseball right there.

Last edited by muzak; 11-04-2010 at 09:59 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not want Vlad back. In fact I'll be borderline pissed if he's brought back. He's falling apart and he garners too much respect for Wash to do the appropriate things when he's not playing well.

Assuming moving Young to DH isn't an option, I'd like to leave it relatively open and move Josh, Nellie and others through it on a regular basis in an attempt to keep them healthier.

I think another big question is what you do in center field. Do they think Borbon can handle it in his second year? Because you just can't keep risking Josh in center field. He's going to keep killing himself against the wall.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post

Another question....

and

The catcher situation needs to be addressed as the 1st priority after Cliff Lee. Don't you think? If Molina does retire, we've got nothing.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
muzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Assuming moving Young to DH isn't an option, I'd like to leave it relatively open and move Josh, Nellie and others through it on a regular basis in an attempt to keep them healthier.
This would be a nice option to have.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ok with Moreland for now because we have more pressing issues, but I definitely don't consider him a long term starting first baseman. He's a quality hitter but his minor league track record would suggest that he's not going to keep up the power pace he's shown so far.

He's solid, but eminently upgradeable when the time is right.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

The bad thing about the outfield... the generally have walls in Left, Right, and center.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-04-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The bad thing about the outfield... the generally have walls in Left, Right, and center.
Come on, you know the difference. The angles are different, and thus you don't build up the same kind of momentum going into the left field walls that you do going into the ones in center.

You almost never see a left fielder crash into a wall in the BPiA.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

How much and how long for Lee?

A whole helluva lot and as long as it takes. If giving up a few top prospects for a couple of months made sense in July, then taking some risks in the outer years of his contract for a few years makes even more sense.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Come on, you know the difference. The angles are different, and thus you don't build up the same kind of momentum going into the left field walls that you do going into the ones in center.

You almost never see a left fielder crash into a wall in the BPiA.
I saw a left fielder severely injure his leg going into a wall on a well struck ball down the line by Juan Gonzalez.. The CFer came over and got the ball and threw Juan out on a close play at home.

But yeah, I know what you are talking about. I was only giving you a hard time.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Lee - lots, and I am glad it isn't my call.
Vlad -- sure I'd love him back at a descent rate -- just not 9M -- he carried the team at times.

Ideally MY moves to the utility infield and DH spot and plays 2, SS, 3 and DH as needed. Lets face it, he could play for years in that role.

Catcher is the big question. Even if you keep Benjie for the post season, he would wear down quickly at his age/size, IMO. Is there a true stud catcher available - that you could use some of the supposed pitching?

1st base -- oh my gosh how many stud 1st basemen has Texas given up over the last few years. Hafner, Gonzalez, Tex, Smoak, etc. Texas can usually find one somewhere. Moreland can be the interim but ideally the backup 1 and 5th outfielder.

Is there anything that can fix Chris Davis -- dang it would be nice if he could hit again.

IMO -- sign Lee priority 1.
find a stud C priority 2 (even if it costs a little)
find a upgrade 3rd baseman - priority 3.
find a upgrade 1st basemen - priority 4.
Use MY as the utility IF and part time DH.
Use Moreland as the backup OF, and backup 1.
Use Julio as speed late in the game and 4th outfielder.

If you have Vlad (only at a bargain) - use him less so he can be strong in the late season. (more days off)

Leave Nefti as the closer. Get Frankie back.
Use Lee, CJ, CL, Holland and Hunter as your starters.

IMO, Harrison has something - keep him in a setup role. (Maybe 8th inning role)

Dang, Texas has some good problems to have with some of their pitching right now. They should be able to get a stud C with some of it. Kirkman, Rapada, O'Day, Ollie, Frankie, and Lowe would all be great assets to use if needed for that "guy".

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

How many "stud" catchers are really out there? i don't think you're going to get a top of the line catcher without giving up a whole lot.

as for Vlad...get him cheaper, or not at all.

Lee is priority one, Crawford should be priority two.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
How many "stud" catchers are really out there? i don't think you're going to get a top of the line catcher without giving up a whole lot.

as for Vlad...get him cheaper, or not at all.

Lee is priority one, Crawford should be priority two.
I don't know who, as far as a stud catcher goes........
but I couldn't help but wonder how the finals would have turned out, if Pudge were still behind the plate. (At least the Pudge from his first 10 years in the league).

It might cost a lot for a stud C, but as I see it -- Texas has a lot to give.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This version of the Texas Rangers is always going to put a premium on the non-offensive skills of catching. So unless they sell the farm for one of the truly elite or they develop one of their own, I think we should all just settle in and expect mediocre-at-best offense from that position for the forseeable future.

And I think you can forget about Crawford. Outfield is this team's greatest current strength. I don't think there's any chance at all that they spend the money it would take to get Crawford. Especially when he's been so reluctant to play Center. Maybe if Lee signs elsewhere, but that's the only way it's even remotely possible imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-04-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

1) Sign Lee...5 years $110M + Incentives based on both individual and team accomplishments
2) Move Young to DH, let Vlad move on...unless he comes CHEAP. Take a look at some other Utility guys who could allow the Rangers to rotate the DH between Young, Cruz, Hamilton, etc...giving each a bit less wear and tear from playing in the field.
3) Take a hard look at Crawford...adding him to patrol the outfield with Cruz and Hamilton could set this team to be the best OF in all of baseball.
4) Find a way to keep the coaching staff!!!
5) Extend Hamilton, CJ, Colby...also go after another "ACE" type of pitcher, perhaps a trade to acquire Greinke from the Royals?
6) Go with Mitch at 1st and search for a solution at Catcher.
7) Keep Feliz as the teams Closer, set him up to be THE closer of this generation!!!
8) review the bullpen and see what moves need to be made with this team via the minor league and free agency to tweak the bullpen. Be prepared to tweak during Spring Training...the guys they have are good, but history tells us, with all teams, injuries to arms will happen during Spring Training...so have back up plans ready.

Again, Sign LEE!!! Losing Lee would hurt the fragile Mental confidence of this team and organization...keeping Lee sends a message to the team as well as the entire organization in the Minors and other Free Agents...The Rangers are now on the Radar...the question becomes, will they STAY on the Radar?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Rangers are coming off of their best season in the history of the franchise. But, there are a number of key questions:

1. How much and for how long are you willing to go on Lee?
A - Obviously not at the ARod level (i.e. don't make a HICKS mistake here), but you pay him how much he wants and for how long he wants. I think 5/120 definitely gets it done and, if it does, you pay it. If it requires 130, pay it. Keep this man here almost at any cost possible.

A - I have a couple of thoughts about Vlad. I have thought about this for a while now and I think you could definitely bring him back on the cheap in the exact same role as he had this year (though in the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup). I will explain why later.

3. Do you try and ink any of the following to long term deals: Hamilton, Cruz, Colby Lewis, CJ Wilson.
A - Yes to ALL in my opinion. You could potentially look at trading Cruz just due to his value being as high as it will ever be and his injury concerns but it better lead to another stud pitcher coming here (i.e. Grienke [even in a down year he is still quite talented] in a Cruz/prospects trade) and it better have us signing someone like Crawford. I do not want to see Cruz gone just to promote Frenchy who has gone on record to say he requires starting time from his next team. Cruz is an absolute stud when healthy so he better be here unless we get a ton for him AND fill his spot well.

A - Most here know my answer on this. You absolutely should give him a shot to start. CJ was VERY good the year before he got the chance and it made us a much better team with him in the rotation. The same could happen with Feliz. If it blows up, he can always be moved back, but damn it, see what you have with him. Look at it this way, Feliz was one of our best arms and how much did he contribute in the Playoffs? How much would he have contributed as the 4th starter? After all, we have Ogando and, if he accepts arbitration, Frankie that both could contend for the closing role (along with Scheppers).

5. What's your rotation next year?
A - My preference? Lee/CJ/Lewis/Feliz/Holland with Hunter and Scheppers getting the first cracks after an injury or poor performance (assuming Scheppers isn't filling a hole in the bullpen left by Feliz moving to the rotation).

6. Do you expect anything out of Eric Hurley?
A - Not this year in terms of MLB production, but I think this could be the year he remains healthy and gets his career back on track for a MLB visit in 2012.

A - Here is where I explain why I think keeping Vlad at DH could be possible. It is for a possible move of Young to 1B. I know, calm down, I know his defense would not be the best over there, but I think if you look at Young's minimal decrease in defensive ability vs Moreland's and then look at Beltre's enormouse increase in defensive ability vs Young's I think overall you have turned your infield into a vacuum vs last year. Imagine Kinsler at 2B, Andrus at SS, and Beltre at 3B all sucking up balls and tossing them to a great catching 1B in Young. Young's problem is range and he wouldn't be nearly as exposed at 1B as he would in any other position. He would only have trouble against balls hit on a line ala the ARod shot that got past him that never should, and those are much more common to go 3B's way vs 1B, just due to there being way more RH hitters. This is a way to get Vlad's bat in the lineup, keep Young's bat in the lineup, and add Beltre's bat in the lineup while still improving defense. Most of you might quickly say NEVER, NO NO NO NEVER to the idea of putting Young at 1B but I think it could work and it would improve the statistics from the 1B position as well. Offense improves, defense improves, and away we go... Moreland would backup the 1B position and get a decent amount of playing time due to Young also backing up 2B, SS, and 3B when those guys need a day off. When Young needs a day off, 2B, SS, and 3B all start and Moreland comes in. Really think about it before you bash it. It would work. Would I rather bring in Dunn for 1B (not a good defender either btw), lose Vlad, move Young to DH, bring in Beltre for 3B, AND keep Lee (why not Crawford too while we are at it)? Sure, but we aren't the Yankees. Think of the possible lineup though:

SS - Andrus
2B - Kinsler
3B - Beltre
CF - Hamilton
RF - Cruz
DH - Vlad
1B - Young
LF - Murphy
C - Molina/Treanor

This lineup would only come at the cost of keeping our own internal guys and adding Beltre. An injury to an IF puts Young at that spot and Moreland at 1B. An injury to an OF puts Borbon at that spot. Good depth and good backups.

8. Murphy or Borbon?
A - Both should make the team, but Borbon should never get the opportunity to start again barring an injury. I would think Murphy gets all starts in LF with Hamilton back in CF and Cruz in RF. Typically though you just use Borbon late in a game for a bunt or for baserunning.
Answers above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-05-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Another question....

A - This is obviously the weakest part of the lineup if you judge it by the lineup I posted in my previous comment. It would be very nice to upgrade this, but there aren't many good options out there that would do a whole lot more than what Molina/Treanor would bring us (unless we go for one of the few studs by throwing great prospects in a trade). I guess I just don't know what is available here.

and

A - Explained in my previous post the way I would prefer we handle this.
Answers above...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It's way, way too early to give up on Borbon as a starting center fielder. You either give him another chance or trade him. You don't relegate him to fifth outfielder status this soon.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

I like Murphy as a player more than Borbon at this point. But, you do have to find out about the kid. I think you give him every shot to win the position in spring training. The Rangers need some youth. No, they're not old, but I also don't want to see them with 5-6 starting position players eligible for free agency at the same time.

Murphy's pretty decent as the 3rd OFer. But, he's pretty damn good as the 4th.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Personally, if Young isn't playing 3rd, then he needs to be DHing. I'm all for giving Moreland every shot to win the first base job going into the season. You don't just give him the job, but he should have a good hold onto it going into camp.

And yeah, if you can upgrade at 3rd, that would be amazing...not sure whether or not the money is going to be there to do so.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Isn't Victor Martinez a free agent this year?

ps- YES to Beltre at 3rd.

Last edited by mkat; 11-05-2010 at 11:50 AM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's way, way too early to give up on Borbon as a starting center fielder. You either give him another chance or trade him. You don't relegate him to fifth outfielder status this soon.
Why on earth would you trade him if you didn't give him a chance to start? He is cheap, under our control, and gives us great flexibility at a position where we have the majority of our injuries. I would bet my entire family that out of Hamilton/Cruz, one will see the DL next year. Murphy is definitely more talented at the plate and he covers LF quite well. Plus Josh is absolutely terrific in CF, though prone to injury there (prone to injury everywhere outside of DH for that matter). And where are you getting 5th outfielder? Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy, and Borbon. That would be 4th outfielder.

To me, play your best guys in the positions they are best suited. Why does Murphy have to be a 4th outfielder behind Borbon when he does everything better than Borbon except run? Make Borbon make enough noise with his bat in 4th outfielder duty like Murphy has to DESERVE the starting OF spot. What Murphy did this past year puts him in the starting lineup as far as I am concerned, minus a trade or FA signing. Keeping Borbon as the 4th OF spot is somehow beneath him? Is it beneath Murphy? Give me a break.

I say make him earn it and his results from last year did not warrant a starting spot. Sure, you could argue sending him to AAA to get consistent at bats, but I would prefer our 4th OF be talented and beneficial to us in late innings. Maybe others could suffice, but my point is that until Borbon proves otherwise, he is not a starting OF on a playoff team.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like Murphy as a player more than Borbon at this point. But, you do have to find out about the kid. I think you give him every shot to win the position in spring training. The Rangers need some youth. No, they're not old, but I also don't want to see them with 5-6 starting position players eligible for free agency at the same time.

Murphy's pretty decent as the 3rd OFer. But, he's pretty damn good as the 4th.
I think you give Borbon a chance to earn the spot with his 4th OF duties just as Murphy had to do this year. He earned his playing time and outplayed Borbon and earned that spot. Coming into this year, give Murphy his due and reverse that. If Borbon beats out Murphy, fine, give the kid the spot and move Josh over, but not until he earns it. Yeah, replacing a guy Murphy's age with a guy Borbon's age is nice for the average age stat, but it does nothing for winning games. Murphy is more productive at this point and until he is no longer more productive than other options on the team you go with that player.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Personally, if Young isn't playing 3rd, then he needs to be DHing. I'm all for giving Moreland every shot to win the first base job going into the season. You don't just give him the job, but he should have a good hold onto it going into camp.

And yeah, if you can upgrade at 3rd, that would be amazing...not sure whether or not the money is going to be there to do so.
But such a decision is ultimately saying that Moreland in the lineup is > than Vlad in the lineup. I am saying downgrade just a bit defensively at 1B, upgrade a significant amount defensively at 3B, and keep Vlad's bat in the lineup (and lower so he isn't hitting cleanup).

Young can catch the ball. He can. Let's not make his defense worse than it is. When hit to him, he is fine. He can stand on a base and move his glove up and down and handle the balls coming to him. He would also be good with low throws and scooping at the ball due to his experience playing 2B/SS/3B. Again, the only things that would give him issues are the same plays that give him issues at 3B - ranging from left to right to make a play on a screamer. Given that those come few and far between compared to the plays a 3B gets, I think we would be fine with his defense there.

He could honestly play 3-4 more years at 1B, which is a good amount of time to draft another stud at that position to hopefully come up from the minors (obviously no guarantees there). If he couldn't handle it, well it would likely only be a 1-year experiment anyway because Vlad isn't playing beyond this year in all likelihood, which allows you to move him to DH and bring another option in for 1B (Moreland, Davis, FA signing, etc).

Look, Moreland played his ass off in the playoffs and exceeded a lot of expectations, no doubt, but I just don't see him as a productive 1B long term. Small sample size, sure, he played pretty well, but I see the guy as a Mike Lamb type at 1B. Capable, sure, but probably not a guy posting good WAR stats.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff in this thread so far...keep it up.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that Moreland be given every opportunity to win the 1B job...some of you guys are assuming it was just a hot streak (based on his minor league stats), but who is to say that it wasn't a young hitter coming into his own?

He should be given a chance to prove whether what he showed in playoffs was fact or fiction.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
To me, play your best guys in the positions they are best suited. Why does Murphy have to be a 4th outfielder behind Borbon when he does everything better than Borbon except run? Make Borbon make enough noise with his bat in 4th outfielder duty like Murphy has to DESERVE the starting OF spot. What Murphy did this past year puts him in the starting lineup as far as I am concerned, minus a trade or FA signing. Keeping Borbon as the 4th OF spot is somehow beneath him? Is it beneath Murphy? Give me a break.
Borbon is a much better defensive outfielder than Murphy. So it's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

My main reason for wanting to play Borbon is that I don't want Hamilton in center. Hamilton in left and Boron in center is a defensive upgrade at both positions, and if Borbon can come close to carrying his weight offensively I think it's worth doing.

Borbon's situation is different than Murph's. Murph had already established himself as what he was, a borderline 3/4 outfielder. Borbon is a well above average defensive outfielder, a first rounder pick and a guy that if he can hit will be an above average starting centerfielder for a long time. You're going to stunt his growth by making him a reserve.

Now, obviously at this point player growth is not the focus. But you need to balance the priorities a little bit so you don't turn a potentially valuable piece into a career utility outfielder.

This argument is also why I don't want to bring Vlad back. I want the DH spot to be open so that all of our outfielders get enough playing time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
Isn't Victor Martinez a free agent this year?

ps- YES to Beltre at 3rd.
Yes, Martinez is a FA this year, but there will be a ton of teams that want him. Keep in mind he is pretty horrible defensively at C and splits his time between C and 1B. He would still be a nice upgrade offensively.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I would suggest that Moreland be given every opportunity to win the 1B job...some of you guys are assuming it was just a hot streak (based on his minor league stats), but who is to say that it wasn't a young hitter coming into his own?

He should be given a chance to prove whether what he showed in playoffs was fact or fiction.
It's pretty rare that someone completely outpaces a long minor league track record in the big leagues.

And in my case I was simply saying that his power would likely not continue at this pace. I think he'll continue to have great at bats and get on base. You can do worse than Moreland, but I don't think he's a five year starter or anything like that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Based on everything Wash has ever said about the catcher position, I feel pretty strongly that Victor Martinez is not even a remote possibility as a catcher here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Borbon is a much better defensive outfielder than Murphy. So it's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

So the guy that in Spring Training couldn't even be trusted defensively per his own manager is now leaps and bounds better than Murphy? Better? Sure, I gave you that, but much better? In LF? I say LF because he damn sure isn't as good as Hamilton.

My main reason for wanting to play Borbon is that I don't want Hamilton in center. Hamilton in left and Boron in center is a defensive upgrade at both positions, and if Borbon can come close to carrying his weight offensively I think it's worth doing.

But Hamilton in CF is a defensive upgrade over Borbon and the offense Murphy gives you exceeds what Borbon gives you by more than Borbon's defense exceeds Murphy's (in my humble opinion).

Borbon's situation is different than Murph's. Murph had already established himself as what he was, a borderline 3/4 outfielder. Borbon is a well above average defensive outfielder, a first rounder pick and a guy that if he can hit will be an above average starting centerfielder for a long time. You're going to stunt his growth by making him a reserve.

Again, his own manager referenced in spring training that he couldn't defend well enough to even be trusted in CF but now he is Carl Crawford. OK. And just because Murphy's career shows that he is a 4th outfielder doesn't mean he wasn't just behind some talented guys and was never fully given an opportunity. Again, give him time in AAA to bust the hell out, if he can. If he shows remarkable stats in AAA bring him back up and give him some starts, but make the kid earn it.

Now, obviously at this point player growth is not the focus. But you need to balance the priorities a little bit so you don't turn a potentially valuable piece into a career utility outfielder.

Exactly! You know, what you are suggesting we continue to do with Murphy. Seems like what he had done to him is what you are clamoring against doing to Borbon. Bottom line, one is better than the other now and if we are in the IT'S TIME stage, play the better player until the other guy is ready to take his spot.

This argument is also why I don't want to bring Vlad back. I want the DH spot to be open so that all of our outfielders get enough playing time.

There is an argument there, no doubt. I just think the offense is helped so much more with Young at 1B, Vlad at DH, Beltre at 3B, and Murphy at LF. So much more than the defense would be helped by Borbon at CF (Hamilton in LF of course), Beltre at 3B, Young at DH, and Moreland at 1B.
Comments above.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Interesting link:

Apparently we get no one and the Angels are the team to beat in all of baseball...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I absolutely think Borbon is better defensively in center than Hamilton. The one factor that keeps them close is the arm. But as far as tracking down fly balls I will absolutely take Borbon. He had a great year defensively in center this year.

And even if I didn't think that I would still want Hamilton in left. Or 1B. Or DH. Somewhere other than center field. Please.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #37
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it would seem like getting him out of CF would be in the Rangers interest, long term, for Hamilton.

It'll be interesting to see the whole process with Lee. The Yankees just flat out can afford to outbid the competition. They DESPERATELY need him if they're keeping the same cast of characters because they are old. Pitching upgrades will be necessary for them, whether or not they're younger or older.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #38
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I absolutely think Borbon is better defensively in center than Hamilton. The one factor that keeps them close is the arm. But as far as tracking down fly balls I will absolutely take Borbon. He had a great year defensively in center this year.

And even if I didn't think that I would still want Hamilton in left. Or 1B. Or DH. Somewhere other than center field. Please.
We are done.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #39
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Yeah, it would seem like getting him out of CF would be in the Rangers interest, long term, for Hamilton.

It'll be interesting to see the whole process with Lee. The Yankees just flat out can afford to outbid the competition. They DESPERATELY need him if they're keeping the same cast of characters because they are old. Pitching upgrades will be necessary for them, whether or not they're younger or older.
If he could play 1B adequately, sure, I would be for that and instead of keeping Vlad get an outfielder that could have close to Vlad's production while around his same compensation. Then you could move Young to DH and bring in Beltre like I am praying for. Won't happen, but I do know Hamilton likely won't be cool with a permanent DH spot and just like Washington already decided in the playoffs you go with the guy that gives your team the best chance to win. Playing Josh in the outfield gives us the best chance to win because he is terrific defensively. With that said, he is just about as prone to get hurt in LF as he is in CF because of his Rusty Greer-mentality. He dives for anything and everything and will always do that so while CF might be slightly more risky for the guy, either way you have to live with the chance that he will get injured.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Truth be told, as much as I want Lee back, I am not thrilled with the odds of that happening. It sucks, but he may have been a rental. My only hope is that IF he leaves the team that gets him doesn't sign any bigger-name stars. We definitely need to get a 1st round pick for him considering what we gave up for him (even with the WS appearance). Here is hoping that won't happen and we keep him, but just saying. I am more nervous about him leaving than I was Texas losing game 5.