Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #241
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The draft does seem to be playing out well for us to take an OT first and go DL next, given the serious depth at DL. And yeah, you could probably even trade down some from 9, as dalm proposes, and still get your tackle. It all seems too perfect. Especially if you think there's not much difference among the top tackles.

I would only think about one of the receivers or Cam if I thought they were clearly All-Pro's in the making. And if I was that sold on Green or Jones, I would do it whether I had any questions about Dez or not (I don't, by the way). I'd just roll those studs out there and throw TD's all day.

Similarly, I wouldn't let my own present backs come into the question if I thought the world of Ingram. Well, maybe I should qualify that. I think Barber is done, and I think Choice is average at best.

Last edited by chumdawg; 03-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #242
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening to the First Draft podcast last week and either Kiper or McShay did some research and found that top ten DT's have had an inordinately high bust rate over the past ten years or so. Not sure if teams looks at things like that or even if they should but it's something to keep an eye on.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #243
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

For my good friend Dez.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #244
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting awfully nerrrrrvyous about this first round tonight. If you can believe what you read, it's starting to look like winning that Philly game may keep us from the shot we would have had to draft Peterson.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #245
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I just hope they don't trade away the 9th pick for some late 1st, or early 2nd round talent

I think Peterson will be gone by the time they get to select....he is too good to go later that 6th or 7th overall....Prince is a more realistic selection...doubt they even selection a DB....OL is what i keep hearing
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #246
chumdawg
Guru

Cleveland just received a damn king's ransom for their #6 pick. Guess that was the place to be in this draft!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #247
chumdawg
Guru

Looks like Fairley falls to us, if we want him. Or if he goes here, then Gabbert is there if someone wants to trade up. Very interesting.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #248
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

tyron smith it is!
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #249
chumdawg
Guru

God, that was thrilling. And we haven't even got to the Mavs game yet. What a night!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #250
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

6-10 sucks but it's nice not to have to wait all night to pick.

We just filled the biggest need on this team...now hopefully he can play.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #251
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Washing picked up 49 to drop 6 spots. Seems like a pretty good deal and the fact that it was probable available to us makes me feel good about the teams belief in Smith.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #252
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting awfully nerrrrrvyous about this first round tonight. If you can believe what you read, it's starting to look like winning that Philly game may keep us from the shot we would have had to draft Peterson.
Well, I feel better in knowing that Arizona picked him and we couldn't have been in that spot even with a last game loss.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #253
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Well, I feel better in knowing that Arizona picked him and we couldn't have been in that spot even with a last game loss.
Me, too. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I didn't think the Smith pick was all that sexy, but it may have been a case of...you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need. It's probably better that we were saved from ourselves.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #254
chumdawg
Guru

The Lakers are kicking the crap out of the Hornets.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #255
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

So who do we like for the second round pick?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #256
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Here is to big improvements for the 'Boys this season.
Lets call it 7-9 and go have a beer
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #257
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Another draft, another linebacker. Jerry really follows his blueprint on defense.

I like the Demarco Murray pick, but I wonder if we could have used help at other positions.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #258
lone laker

lone laker is on a distinguished road

Cowboys picked DeMarco Murray with the intent he can help on special teams? Uh, OU stopped using him on returns, because he was always getting hurt...
lone laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #259
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone laker View Post
Cowboys picked DeMarco Murray with the intent he can help on special teams? Uh, OU stopped using him on returns, because he was always getting hurt...
actually from the press conference it seems like they didn't pick him for special teams; that all just to be a maybe.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #260
lone laker

lone laker is on a distinguished road

DeMarco averaged 4.3 yards per carry; although he has impressive speed, his injuries have robbed him of much of his breakaway ability. Very unusual pick...
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #261
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I was surprised that we went RB so early but it wasn't a reach. He was projected as a 3rd round back. He had the 5th best speed score of any RB in the draft (Football Outsiders metric that measures speed relative to body weight), probably the best RB hands in the draft and a nose for the end zone. I can't overstate the importance of that last thing because it's something that we're sorely lacking right now. when you're inside the 5 you should be able to give the ball to your RB and say "take it home. But Felix isn't very instinctive in that area, Tashard is too light and Barber is likely gone. Not being able to punch the ball in from short distances is something you don't think about until you don't have it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #262
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I was surprised that we went RB so early but it wasn't a reach. He was projected as a 3rd round back. He had the 5th best speed score of any RB in the draft (Football Outsiders metric that measures speed relative to body weight), probably the best RB hands in the draft and a nose for the end zone. I can't overstate the importance of that last thing because it's something that we're sorely lacking right now. when you're inside the 5 you should be able to give the ball to your RB and say "take it home. But Felix isn't very instinctive in that area, Tashard is too light and Barber is likely gone. Not being able to punch the ball in from short distances is something you don't think about until you don't have it.
I'm getting jazzed about the Murray pick. I watched some highlight reels earlier today, and my jaw just dropped. When that kid hits the corner, it is church. And, he has some moves! And, yes, he has a nose for the end zone, as you describe. That play where he leaps over the line and lands with his ass on the top of somebody's head before bouncing up and over...that's just beautiful. Not to mention the leaping plays at the pylon and the way he can drive his legs and finish through people.

This pick is riling me up. All those rushing highlights, and not to mention any highlights of him catching the ball, which I understand he did a lot of. Third-down back? I don't think so. Kid looks like a starter to me.

Tags
theticket29cyborg, we win superballs now?