Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #81
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Yeah...I'm pretty sure your fandom has got the best of you, in an odd sort of way. You put Peyton Manning on this team, and you're pretty much going to get the same thing you have already got. To be perfectly honest, I stopped reading after this.

You "simply do not share the opinion that he has the intestinal fortitude and mental competence to be consistent over the course of a playoff run to win a Super Bowl." I'm saying that you have no ground to stand on. Things like "intestinal fortitude" and "mental competence" may sound quite meaningful when you do your armchair analysis. But how do you measure those? Do you have some sort of scale?

No, I don't believe that you do. Instead, I believe that you measure them after the fact. Wait till the guy shows it, and then say he has it. ... That is entirely useless, in terms of our discussion here.

My sense is that you are chasing a fairy...this great sounding thing, that you can never have.
Done with conversation. Go Cowboys.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #82
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male30Dan View Post
Done with conversation. Go Cowboys.
Oh...oh, oh, oh, ohhhhh...because Peyton Manning is always jerk-off material for you?

Is that what you've got, Dan? That if it isn't Manning, it certainly isn't worthy! Is that the deal?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #83
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh...oh, oh, oh, ohhhhh...because Peyton Manning is always jerk-off material for you?

Is that what you've got, Dan? That if it isn't Manning, it certainly isn't worthy! Is that the deal?
Yes, that is it. Have my TP and Lotion now... Damn it, if ONLY HIS NECK WASN'T HURT!!!

Dude, move on. You just said that having THE BEST QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME would make the Cowboys just as good as they are now with Romo. How do we proceed from here without me calling you names similar to those I reserve for the intellect of our favorite football team? Move on.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #84
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, that is it. Have my TP and Lotion now... Damn it, if ONLY HIS NECK WASN'T HURT!!!

Dude, move on. You just said that having THE BEST QB IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME would make the Cowboys just as good as they are now with Romo. How do we proceed from here without me calling you names similar to those I reserve for the intellect of our favorite football team? Move on.
The best QB in the history of the game? Really? He (and his coach Tony Dungy, I would remind you) pretty much delivered crap. They are both losers...under your criteria, and under most, I am sure.

Certainly nothing like a Montana or an Aikman or a Bradshaw or even a Favre or a Young or a Staubach.

Best in the history...giggle. Go on believing that...with one title in like more than ten years. Yeah...that's salty.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #85
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The best QB in the history of the game? Really? He (and his coach Tony Dungy, I would remind you) pretty much delivered crap. They are both losers...under your criteria, and under most, I am sure.

Certainly nothing like a Montana or an Aikman or a Bradshaw or even a Favre or a Young or a Staubach.

Best in the history...giggle. Go on believing that...with one title in like more than ten years. Yeah...that's salty.
Wow. OK.

I do wonder where ol Dirk was prior to his title considering the man-love there and even where he is now to you on an all-time list considering this stance.

Peace out bro.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 09-28-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #86
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Wow. OK.

I do wonder where ol Dirk was prior to his title considering the man-love there and even where he is now to you on an all-time list considering this stance.

Peace out bro.
Has nothing to do with Dirk. Has everything to do with Romo and the NFL.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #87
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Dirk. Has everything to do with Romo and the NFL.
Chuck Norris says "Whatever you say"

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #88
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:

I dont see why you are dragging Peyton through the mud. He certainly should be in the conversation for best QB just because of his incredible consistency.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #89
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
I dont see why you are dragging Peyton through the mud. He certainly should be in the conversation for best QB just because of his incredible consistency.
I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. He's awesome...one of the all-time greats, to be sure. I'm saying that if you want to demean Romo for lack of big-game production, then your argument should apply equally to Manning, too.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #90
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. He's awesome...one of the all-time greats, to be sure. I'm saying that if you want to demean Romo for lack of big-game production, then your argument should apply equally to Manning, too.
How about you show me the 1 ring Tony HAS won to even come close to comparing him to Peyton and then we can talk. Oh, he doesn't have that but he has the stats that even sniff Peyton's? Wait, nope. How about division titles? Playoff wins? Nope. Hmmm... But wait, the Cowboys would be no better with a healthy Peyton Manning over Romo... Puff, puff, pass bro. Puff, puff, pass.

Again, my issue with Romo is not his talent. He has AMAZING talent. God, read all of the past Cowboys season threads, the game day threads, and even posts in this thread - I am quite clear on that. Romo's issue is with his head and that is not an issue Peyton has EVER been accused of having - ever, by anyone, EVER! Peyton also has the unbelievable accuracy and touch and is one of the best pure passers in the history of the game, if not the very, very best. This isn't even a fair argument.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #91
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO
Romo is in the Steve Young, Brett Farve mold.

I tend to prefer the Brady, Aikman, Marino, Peyton Manning mold.

Both will work........one style just seems to work more consistently.

I am not saying Romo doesn't have the talent -- I think he does. Much like Brett Farve, I think the minor mistakes kill him though in the big games. In my opinion, this is why Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham don't have rings right now, but the Trent Dilfers and Mark Rypiens do.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #92
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
IMO

I am not saying Romo doesn't have the talent -- I think he does. Much like Brett Farve, I think the huge and completely avoidable (were he to lose some of his dumb) mistakes kill him though in the big games. In my opinion, this is why Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham don't have rings right now, but the Trent Dilfers and Mark Rypiens do.
There... Fixed...

Agree with everything else though. My sentiments exactly, which is why the thought that a more consistent and intelligent (while roughly equally talented physically) QB like Peyton would do nothing at all for the Cowboys over where we are with Romo is just asinine. My previous hope was that Romo morphs into that type of a QB and learns enough from his mistakes to avoid them in the future - and maybe he does that eventually. That said, I don't see it happening which is why I took the stance I did.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #93
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
IMO

I am not saying Romo doesn't have the talent -- I think he does. Much like Brett Farve, I think the minor mistakes kill him though in the big games. In my opinion, this is why Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham don't have rings right now, but the Trent Dilfers and Mark Rypiens do.
i do not understand your "molds" at all.... (ie your groupings)

to me Aikmen, Dilfer (in the end, when he settled down with the ravens) and Rypien are the most similar (good arms, and will never kill you with mistakes but need a full berlin wall in front of them to really be effective because they just aren't mobile enough) although he was of course BETTER than the other two.. but in the same mold. But put aikmen on a "normal" team (without perhaps teh greatest Oline in the history of football, one of the greatest RBS, an alltime great wideout, a stiffling D.. etc...) and he would have been viewed as an "adequate" qb.. imho. Basically he would have been Bledsoe.

and.. also... I would probably classify Steve YOung as EASILY the greatest QB you mentioned (only Manning/brady could even make a case, but i think he is better) By the time he took over teh reigns at SF the REST of teh team had deteriorated markedly. he was behind a crappy line, had worse running backs and a worse defense... and had to carry the whole thing completely by himself. He was AWESOME. he could run when he needed to, but was smart enough to pick apart the D when they shifted to account for his legs. He had the shortest period of "prime" (other than Rypen and Dilfer.. who never reall HAD "primes") to brag on... but what he did with so little around him was simply incredible.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #94
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Marino had the "no mobility" thing going.... but he also had the best release in the history of football. he was a category on to himself, and not really like any others.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #95
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
i do not understand your "molds" at all.... (ie your groupings)

to me Aikmen, Dilfer (in the end, when he settled down with the ravens) and Rypien are the most similar (good arms, and will never kill you with mistakes but need a full berlin wall in front of them to really be effective because they just aren't mobile enough) although he was of course BETTER than the other two.. but in the same mold. But put aikmen on a "normal" team (without perhaps teh greatest Oline in the history of football, one of the greatest RBS, an alltime great wideout, a stiffling D.. etc...) and he would have been viewed as an "adequate" qb.. imho. Basically he would have been Bledsoe.

and.. also... I would probably classify Steve YOung as EASILY the greatest QB you mentioned (only Manning/brady could even make a case, but i think he is better) By the time he took over teh reigns at SF the REST of teh team had deteriorated markedly. he was behind a crappy line, had worse running backs and a worse defense... and had to carry the whole thing completely by himself. He was AWESOME. he could run when he needed to, but was smart enough to pick apart the D when they shifted to account for his legs. He had the shortest period of "prime" (other than Rypen and Dilfer.. who never reall HAD "primes") to brag on... but what he did with so little around him was simply incredible.
To judge his molds and then compare Aikman to Bledsoe is just strange. Bledsoe was a gunslinger and Aikman was FAR from that. Seems like you are classifying based on mobility and I don't think that was Dalm's point. He was talking about the type of QB in terms of risk/reward of their playing style and how likely you would have to say something along the lines of "well, ya have to take the good with the bad with this guy."

I do think Young was really, really good though. I remember his QB rating being crazy and his completion percentage being in the 70s or just under at times. It took him forever to get his shot but he played very well when he did. To be honest, I probably forget just how good he was because I despised him so very much given the Dallas/S.F. rivalry.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #96
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Omg
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #97
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The Romo giveth and the Romo taketh away.

God he is fucking stupid.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #98
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Anyone that can put Bobby Carpenter on Sportscenter deserves, well, who knows. Don't even know how to finish that sentence it is so hard to do. Good job turning a complete blow out into a 10 point lead with two tosses of your arm. You put us way up with greatness, but as explained before, then your dumb kicked in. Just wow.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #99
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Btw... Our defense has allowed 3 points to one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. Tony Romo has allowed 14.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #100
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

One final post... Fantasy football sucks. I was skunking the dude I was playing today - of course they were using the Detroit defense. Thank you Romo.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #101
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Thank you Detroit.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #102
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Good job Tony - good job Witten. Hopefully that penalty changed this game back around.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #103
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man. 1 missed FG this year (and oddly from 19 yards) and everything else pretty much right down the middle. Hopefully we have something special here with Bailey.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #104
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I wonder what the averages are for teams inside the 10 that FAIL to score a TD and have to resort to going for it on 4th (and unsuccessfully at that) or have to kick a FG. Odds are that we would be among the league's worst.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #105
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You can't say enough about what Tony has done to pump up Detroit's offense, which was DEAD before.

6 point game. 6 POINT GAME.

Just wow.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #106
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

27-3...............................30-24.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #107
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I would love to say "truly unbelievable" but Week 1 taught me not to be so naive. If he can find a way to lose the game, he will do his best to follow that path. Once again, it follows a TREMENDOUS first half. Just can't avoid it consistently. God, if we lose this game I want to try to see someone support this abortion of a 2nd half.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #108
chumdawg
Guru

Enough with the negative energy, MaleBlackCloudDan! We are going to win this game!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #109
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Enough with the negative energy, MaleBlackCloudDan! We are going to win this game!!!
IF it happens, say it with me...

IN SPITE of Romo.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #110
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man, thank you zebras...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 10-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #111
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Don't know that I would have declined that penalty...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #112
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Don't know that I would have declined that penalty...
...and the 24 point lead is now down to 3.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #113
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

COME ON ROMO! LEAD US TO VICTORY BABY!

There Chum...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #114
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Bwahahaha... F him.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #115
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Seriously - F him. F his little head down, woe is me, whoops - guess I better learn from that, faggot bs. F him.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #116
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

And there it is... 27-3 becomes 34-30. This happened. This just happened. Can we win? Sure. We can come back with no time outs down 4. We could just as easily lose it. Either way, I say it one last time and I'm out - F Romo and F anyone (ANYONE) that tries to support him after this BS. He could start at the 1 and toss a 99 yard TD pass to Jesus himself - all the same, F him. He will NEVER lead our team to a SB victory. NEVER.

Accept it.

"Except that what?"

No, accept it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #117
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

That was somewhat disappointing.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Bwahahahaha... His dumbass went out of bounds on 4th and 20. Team filled with dumb. I can't do anything but laugh at this. Otherwise I am going to break my bones on very stout objects. Just sickening. The crowd deserves their money back. I deserve my 3 hours back. So do you Chum - Romo personally should mail those 3 hours back to you. You open the envelope and POOF, 3 hours earlier.

So, as I previously suggested, support him... Try... Please...

GO!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #119
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

*grabs popcorn for norm's show* this should be great.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #120
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Wow....all I can say is wow!!!! I wonder if this is the final straw...Romo's injury had nothing to do with today's performance...That guy's brain is just too small....