Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

from THE OREGONIAN
Mills still fighting mad at Portland's 'Punk'

12/29/02

It's safe to say that Chris Mills will not send a Christmas card to Bonzi Wells next year.

After their recent brawl, which resulted in a two-game suspension for Wells and a three-game suspension for Mills -- he is eligible to return Monday against Philadelphia -- Mills vented his feelings toward the Blazers guard.

"I think Bonzi Wells is a straight punk, with a capital P," Mills said to the Contra Costa Times. "He's tough on the court. And I'll give it to them, the Blazers, their unity was there. They had all 12 players on that floor. When they all stand up, he feels invincible. That's cool, but I think he's a punk.

"He tried to sucker punch me. Then he moon-walked like Michael Jackson back toward the tunnel. That's a punk move and he's a punk."

More Warriors: During the same interview, Mills was miffed that some of his teammates (Antawn Jamison, Erick Dampier and Danny Fortson) retreated to the locker room during the fight.

"If there was somebody in the locker room when stuff was going down, they wouldn't be at the top of my list of people I want with me in a foxhole," Mills said. "I would hope that nobody was going to the locker room when the altercation happened."

A seething Jamison, who called the incident a disgrace to the NBA, was upset at being called out by Mills.

"My teammates know that in any kind of situation, I have their backs and they have mine," Jamison said. "If someone would think that, they don't know who I am."

Instead of being a galvanizing event, the fight seems to be tearing the Warriors apart.

Along with the Mills-Jamison issue, Jamison isn't happy with guard Gilbert Arenas' constant shooting.

Davis rising: Everybody laughed when Cleveland coach John Lucas predicted that Ricky Davis could be the next Michael Jordan. Nobody is snickering now that Davis is among the league leaders in scoring.

The 6-foot-7, 195-pound guard is averaging 23.5 points, an improvement of nearly 12 points a game over last season.

"There are two more levels for him to get to. These two are going to be the most painful to get to and we will not like each other to get to the next two levels," Lucas told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "The next two levels aren't steak. The next two levels for him are the asparagus and the beets. (Food) no one wants to eat. This is going to be difficult."

Translation: Lucas wants Davis, 23, to improve defensively and learn to maintain his concentration.

Kruger's undoing: Maybe Lon Kruger was fired because he didn't force his players to get the ball to Shareef Abdur-Rahim more often.

The Hawks are 7-2 when their best offensive player leads the team in scoring. They are 5-14 when someone else leads in scoring. The Hawks are 5-7 when Glenn Robinson, the team's leading scorer, has led them in scoring.

The Hawks play a more free-flowing style of basketball when running the offense through Abdur-Rahim rather than Robinson. Abdur-Rahim, a 6-9, 230-pound forward, is averaging better than 20 points a game but is taking 14 shots a game and isn't the type of player who demands the ball.

Layups: According to several sources, before Philadelphia traded for Kenny Thomas, a three-way trade almost was pulled off as follows: Thomas to Memphis; Antonio Daniels and a first-round pick to Denver; Stromile Swift to Portland; and James Posey to Houston. What killed it? Hubie Brown doesn't like Thomas. . . . Earl Boykins' dazzling performance in a recent game prompted the Warriors to play "It's a Small World After All" on the public address system. "Never play that again," Boykins said. "It irritates me." . . .

Six players (Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Webber, Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion) are averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds. . . . The Lakers didn't lose their 19th game last season until March 19. . . . Shaquille O'Neal married longtime girlfriend Shaunie Nelson in a private ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Thursday. . . . Before making 15 of 25 shots against Toronto on Thursday, Gary Payton was 15 for 57 in three previous games.

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold

Copyright 2002 Oregon Live. All Rights Reserved.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Punk is as punk does.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

P.S. Portland sucks.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote