Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #2841
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
To call it an abomination is idiotic. We should hope that Dirk is remembered in such a way a little over 20 years after he retires.
Idiot
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #2842
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Saw something interesting at spurstalk. It's a comparison of dirk/timmah. they said it was their 70th meeting. There has been some damn goog basketball played in texas for over a decade.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=duncati01
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #2843
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk Nowitzki showing off another lethal weapon

http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/03...lethal-weapon/
Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #2844
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Idiot
It's just more than a little odd that you think someone should be more beloved because he's currently playing compared to one of the most beloved individuals in the history of the DFW area.. one of the most respected and loved coaches in the history of professional sports.

Your thought process is... odd
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #2845
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

Quote:
It's an abomination. It's the same crud that kept dirk from being voted onto the all-star team when the mavs hosted it. Dallas should be ashamed.
great point. Don't get it why the DFW people are worshipping the ashes of the once mighty Cowboys franchise with so much stubbornness. (Think they managed to win only 1 (ONE!) Playoff game in the last 15 years...)
I take:
1. Actual players over historic ones if are both great
2. Players over coaches

btw In the Chicago edition of this poll D-Rose(zero rings actual player) is atomizing Phil Jackson (6 rings former coach)

Edit:@ Murphy3: Do you take Staubach, Aikman or Emmitt over Dirk and Landry?

Last edited by Firnen; 03-18-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #2846
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Dirk is finally edging out Landry 51-49...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2847
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
It's just more than a little odd that you think someone should be more beloved because he's currently playing compared to one of the most beloved individuals in the history of the DFW area.. one of the most respected and loved coaches in the history of professional sports.

Your thought process is... odd
Well... I think the dirkster is the most unfairly maligned sports icon in Dallas's history for sure and possibly nba history. Bar none. He has carried this team on his shoulders for a decade without whining, showboating, drugging, contract holdouts, hometown discounts, through two idiot coaches and some very, very questionable front office work by Donnie/cubes.

All with quiet dignity, flat out hard work and dedication. The only sports icon I put ahead of him is emmit. And there are few that can touch those guys. They are that far ahead IMO.

And I don't think Dallas should be ashamed because of this silly poll, it's just that a silly poll. What i felt they should be ashamed of is not voting him into the starting team at the all-star break, it is that lack of respect ( reflected by Landry out voting him here ) that I truly feel was an abomination, pathetic really.

Last edited by dude1394; 03-18-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #2848
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Dirk Nowitzki showing off another lethal weapon

http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/03...lethal-weapon/
Nice BG..
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2849
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, great stuff BG.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #2850
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Too many people like football, it's that simple.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #2851
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well... I think the dirkster is the most unfairly maligned sports icon in Dallas's history for sure and possibly nba history. Bar none. He has carried this team on his shoulders for a decade without whining, showboating, drugging, contract holdouts, hometown discounts, through two idiot coaches and some very, very questionable front office work by Donnie/cubes.

All with quiet dignity, flat out hard work and dedication. The only sports icon I put ahead of him is emmit. And there are few that can touch those guys. They are that far ahead IMO.

And I don't think Dallas should be ashamed because of this silly poll, it's just that a silly poll. What i felt they should be ashamed of is not voting him into the starting team at the all-star break, it is that lack of respect ( reflected by Landry out voting him here ) that I truly feel was an abomination, pathetic really.
I understand what you're saying until you bring in the part about Landry. Then you lose absolutely make yourself look....foolish.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #2852
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I understand what you're saying until you bring in the part about Landry. Then you lose absolutely make yourself look....foolish.
Whatever your foolishness thinks murph. I put dirk/emmitt above any coach, period.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #2853
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Another solid article BG.

Every time I visit this thread I end up spending an hour on youtube watching Dirk videos, thanks guys.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2854
haCORErdMav

haCORErdMav has a spectacular aura abouthaCORErdMav has a spectacular aura about

I was about 5 when Landry last coached so just off bias and no real knowledge of football then id pick Dirk. But of course just the fact that there's still a bunch of old farts around that are computer savvy and are able to vote that speaks volumes about the guys fame, however this could also entail some bias as most of these "Old Farts" probably aren't into basketball much more than reading the news and the occasional playoff game followed by water cooler talk where until last year was mostly letdowns.

One more epic playoff run by Dirk would leave little doubt imo =)
haCORErdMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #2855
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

As a lifelong Dallas area sports fan since the 70's, born in '71, I started as a Cowboy fan and gravitated to the Mavericks and Rangers in the early 80's and then the Stars in the 90's.

As much as I love my Mavs I have always been a Cowboy fan first. My dad was a big fan of the Cowboys and passed that passion to me. They were the first in the metroplex to win a major championship and the run that the Tom Landry teams went on such as 5 SB appearances in 9 years, 2 SB championships, playoffs 16 out of 17 years??? (memory may be a little off) all are remarkable accomplishments that I give not just the players, the organization but Tom Landry iconic status. And for those who may not know, the Cowboys were known as the team that couldnt win the big one for those many successful years before they finally cracked thru and beat Miami in SB VI, so they went thru just as much or more adversity than the Mavs have this last decade before finally breaking thru. I guess its like your first love that you never really shake.

Not in any way to disrespect the enormous amount of reverance I have for Dirk and what he has accomplished, but I would have no problem voting for Tom Landry over him for the reasons mentioned above.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #2856
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Murph on this one. Dirk is great and all, but there's no way a self-respecting Dallas sports fan could vote against the great Tom Landry.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #2857
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm with Murph on this one. Dirk is great and all, but there's no way a self-respecting Dallas sports fan could vote against the great Tom Landry.
Not all self-respecting Dallas sports fans:

1. Are old enough to have rooted for a team coached by Tom Landry

2. Care about the Cowboys as much as other area teams.

The list of Dallas sports figures I care more about than Tom Landry is very, very long. He means an incredible amount to my dad, and good for him, but he had zero impact on my sports life.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #2858
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

The list of Dallas sports figures I care more about than Tom Landry is very, very long. He means an incredible amount to my dad, and good for him, but he had zero impact on my sports life.
Good for you. Now, then...if your local sports knowledge/appreciation is really that limited, then maybe you aren't the kind of person who ought to be voting in such a poll.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #2859
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Mavericks fan first, and I'm not old enough to fully appreciate Landry, but c'mon man it's Tom F'n Landry. He's a national legend like Michael Jordan. Dirk is a local hero.

Landry
Emmit
Aikmen
Dirk

For me personally:

Dirk
Ro
Nash
Harper
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #2860
cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
There's something wrong about someone organizing a vot against Tom Landry. I think I'll skip this one and not vote at all.
This...
cowboyuptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #2861
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold
Default Dirk and Landry

As a 30 year old guy who is only a Ranger and Maverick fan only I'd have to say that my list is:

Dirk
Pudge
Juan
Nash
Finley
Terry
Cuban
(the whole current Ranger team)
Nolan
Some random Rangers like Dean Palmer Julio Franco Will Clark
Kidd

Probably not like anyone else's list. So needless to say I'd vote Dirk over anyone that DFW poll puts out.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #2862
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Good for you. Now, then...if your local sports knowledge/appreciation is really that limited, then maybe you aren't the kind of person who ought to be voting in such a poll.
So anyone thirty and under can't vote, huh.

Should I get off your lawn while I'm at it, old man?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #2863
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I'm a Mavericks fan first, and I'm not old enough to fully appreciate Landry, but c'mon man it's Tom F'n Landry. He's a national legend like Michael Jordan. Dirk is a local hero.

Landry
Emmit
Aikmen
Dirk

For me personally:

Dirk
Ro
Nash
Harper
The question in the poll is "Who do YOU love?", not who does everyone else love.

Dirk won, btw, so now we can argue about Dirk vs Staubach, which is essentially the same argument.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 03-19-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #2864
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

I don't have a problem with someone caring more about someone else other Tom Landry at all. But, I don't agree that it's an abomination to vote for a guy that did as much as Landry did for the Cowboys and this area. Landry is a legend. That's what a legend is.. the love for them lasts long after his retirement and even his death. Dirk is a legend as well. In 15 years when Derek Holland has won 200 games for the Rangers and pitched a shutout to win their first World Series, if they were to have the same poll and he were up against Dirk... I'd vote for Dirk even though he would have been retired for a nearly a decade by then. It wouldn't be an abomination. It would be me voting for the most "beloved".
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #2865
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't have a problem with someone caring more about someone else other Tom Landry at all. But, I don't agree that it's an abomination to vote for a guy that did as much as Landry did for the Cowboys and this area. Landry is a legend. That's what a legend is.. the love for them lasts long after his retirement and even his death. Dirk is a legend as well. In 15 years when Derek Holland has won 200 games for the Rangers and pitched a shutout to win their first World Series, if they were to have the same poll and he were up against Dirk... I'd vote for Dirk even though he would have been retired for a nearly a decade by then. It wouldn't be an abomination. It would be me voting for the most "beloved".
That's fine, I have no issue with that. I was taking issue with Chum's statement.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2866
Murphy3
Guru

I know.. I was just stating that I understand where you're coming from.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #2867
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

Well I think it's a problem not only Dirk and the Mavs are facing, the Rangers and Stars have to battle against this as well. For the last 15 years the Cowboys have been a non contender: They did make the playoffs only a few times and have managed to win only one PO game in that timespan. In the same time frame the Mavs are making the POs nearly every season, Rangers went to b2b WS and Stars have 1 ring and many PO appearances.
On top of this Tony Romo and Dirk get compared to each other in terms of importance for their teams and their performance by the local media on a regular basis (this is the mother of all abominations)
I think even if the Cowboys would go 0-16 for the next 10 years and Mavs, Rangers and Stars would win 10 rings in a row the people in Dallas would love the Cowboys and this franchise would be No.1 in DFW. They seem to love football, accept Baseball and Basketball and ignore hockey here.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #2868
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

...and Dirk could not care less about all this stuff.

Let Dirk finish his career 1st and then one can take a closer look at his accomplishments. Right now -thx god- Dirk is still a work in progress.

And BTW, i am not even sure if Dirk's goal is it to be "most beloved", "best dressed", "best shooting big man" and other stuff like that. "Most beloved" sounds almost like a backhanded compliment to me...

Last edited by markus1234; 03-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #2869
dude1394
Guru

Funny bracket in la..

they have magic-kobe on one side and ...vin scully - chick hearn on the other side. Wha??? Hilarious...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #2870
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk won, btw, so now we can argue about Dirk vs Staubach, which is essentially the same argument.
I thought so too, although I also thought that Staubach might have an easier run against Dirk than Landry because of the whole coach vs. player thing, but Dirk barely edged out Landry at 51-49, whereas he's beating Staubach pretty handily at 56-44 so far.

The bigger surprise to me is the Emmitt-Aikman matchup, where Aikman is barely leading 51-49... I mean, both guys were equally important to the success of the 90s Cowboys, but only one of them holds any all-time NFL records... Plus, that game back in '93 where Emmitt Smith put the team on his back while playing against the Giants with a 2nd degree separated shoulder is one of the greatest sports moments in history - right up there with Jesse Owens taking the gold at the Hitler Olympics...

Last edited by Underdog; 03-19-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #2871
Firnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
...and Dirk could not care less about all this stuff.
I think you are definitely right on this one. If you compare the voting in other cities editions of this poll on the other hand Dirk should easily win this. DFW sports fans haven't cared enough about the Mavs to create a really big market in Dallas for basketball so the big free agents went to the coasts or the City (where basketball is BIG) most times, but not to Dallas.

As for now New Jersey/ Brooklyn Nets only argument to lure in D.Howard and/or D-Will was the market size for basketball in New York/ Brooklyn (and the benefits that come along with it). Dallas has a big market size itself, but it's all about football. So guess who will be to blame if Deron Williams takes the Nets over the Mavs: Dallas sport fans (who mostly love the Cowboys, but not the Mavs)

Btw: if I was Billy King i would just show Deron the Dallas poll giving the boot to Dirk (have still hope he wins it) and the NY poll taking Jeremy Lin over all NY's sport greats.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #2872
Murphy3
Guru

Why should Dirk easily win this?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #2873
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I thought so too, although I also thought that Staubach might have an easier run against Dirk than Landry because of the whole coach vs. player thing, but Dirk barely edged out Landry at 51-49, whereas he's beating Staubach pretty handily at 56-44 so far.

The bigger surprise to me is the Emmitt-Aikman matchup, where Aikman is barely leading 51-49... I mean, both guys were equally important to the success of the 90s Cowboys, but only one of them holds any all-time NFL records... Plus, that game back in '93 where Emmitt Smith put the team on his back while playing against the Giants with a 2nd degree separated shoulder is one of the greatest sports moments in history - right up there with Jesse Owens taking the gold at the Hitler Olympics...
Many players on that Cowboys team thought the whole playing with a separated shoulder thing was a bit overblown. I didn't at the time, and I suppose I still don't now.

I think the Aikman/Emmitt matchup is a bit shocking. I thought Aikman would win by a 60-40 vote or so. He's much easier to like from a fan's perspective.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2874
Firnen

Quote:

Dirk is one of the Top20 all-time NBA Players maybe should be even considered near or into Top10 if he manages to end his career at #6 or #7 spot in all-time scoring and keep his 25/10 PO averages intact. Emmitt should be in/near the Top20 as well (maybe best RB all-time). But I don't see Staubach or Aikman in the Top 10 of QB's all-time. Why Aikman has a shoot at beatin Smith? hmm, why do QBs get the SuperBowl MVP trophy all the time...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #2875
Underdog

Quote:
Many players on that Cowboys team thought the whole playing with a separated shoulder thing was a bit overblown. I didn't at the time, and I suppose I still don't now.

I think the Aikman/Emmitt matchup is a bit shocking. I thought Aikman would win by a 60-40 vote or so. He's much easier to like from a fan's perspective.
What's not to like about Emmitt? As far as likability goes, I think they're both easy guys to root for...

Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #2876
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firnen View Post
Dirk is one of the Top20 all-time NBA Players maybe should be even considered near or into Top10 if he manages to end his career at #6 or #7 spot in all-time scoring and keep his 25/10 PO averages intact. Emmitt should be in/near the Top20 as well (maybe best RB all-time). But I don't see Staubach or Aikman in the Top 10 of QB's all-time. Why Aikman has a shoot at beatin Smith? hmm, why do QBs get the SuperBowl MVP trophy all the time...
Best != most loved.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #2877
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
What's not to like about Emmitt? As far as likability goes, I think they're both easy guys to root for...
The whole diamond in poo-poo thing when he left.. he always came across as more self absorbed and infatuated with the numbers when a guy like Aikman seemed to only care about the victories.

Trust me, I definitely liked and still like Emmitt. But not as much as Aikman. I think that Aikman just came across as the ultimate team first kinda guy...willing to sacrifice his stats for the betterment of the team. Again, I'm not saying that Emmitt was all about himself and not the team. I just think that Aikman was the ultimate team guy.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #2878
Murphy3
Guru

So what I'm getting from some of you guys is that how much you're loved is based almost solely on how good of a player you are..

It doesn't work that way for most people.

Now, I will say that Dirk is extremely easy to like AND he is a great player which makes a tremendous combination.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #2879
Underdog

Quote:
The whole diamond in poo-poo thing when he left.. he always came across as more self absorbed and infatuated with the numbers when a guy like Aikman seemed to only care about the victories.
I can see that - I definitely wasn't a fan of him finishing out his career in Arizona either...

Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #2880
Underdog

Quote:
So what I'm getting from some of you guys is that how much you're loved is based almost solely on how good of a player you are..

It doesn't work that way for most people.

Now, I will say that Dirk is extremely easy to like AND he is a great player which makes a tremendous combination.
I think how good a player they are can definitely be a tie-breaker...

I mean, we're down to Dirk, Aikman, Emmitt and Staubach - all extremely likable guys, so you have to have SOMETHING that swings your personal bias.

And, yeah, Dirk being extremely easy to like is a big reason why I became a Mavs fan instead of a Spurs fan when I was living in Austin (Nash helped too...)

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer