Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Owens is truly a baby among men.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #82
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

as long as we keep winning
Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #83
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jerry Jones is too big an a$$ to cover his own a$$---he has to take Owens' side because the impending T.O. implosion will reflect poorly on his football judgment. Dop't you know Haley wants to tell Jones to go f*ck himself.

Wonder if Parcells didn't nix "disciplining" a member of his coaching staff for a well-known cancer's insubordination. Would be interesting to hear the deliberation between Jones and Parcells that resulted in no disciplinary action being taken.
It's not about Jones covering his ass; it's about plugging the leak at Valley Ranch. This is the second T.O. related incident to find its way into the papers. What goes on inside the confines of the Ranch should stay there. If Jones was going to punish Haley, it was because he thought Haley was leaking information to the press, not because he engaged TO in a shouting match.

And if Haley was the leak, Parcells would be the first one to hold his ass to the fire. There's not a coach in the league who’s more oppressive when it comes to his staff.

If Haley’s not fined it's because he convinced Jerry AND Bill that he knows how to keep his mouth shut.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #84
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when he caught the first one.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #85
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

TO owns

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 PM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
You may've misread most of this article....starting with the headline.

Jerry Jones is too big an a$$ to cover his own a$$---he has to take Owens' side because the impending T.O. implosion will reflect poorly on his football judgment. Dop't you know Haley wants to tell Jones to go f*ck himself.

Wonder if Parcells didn't nix "disciplining" a member of his coaching staff for a well-known cancer's insubordination. Would be interesting to hear the deliberation between Jones and Parcells that resulted in no disciplinary action being taken.

That's not what the article stated when I linked it, and that's not what the headline said. It's been updated since my link. Thanks for heping me out with my basic reading comprehension skills though.

BTW, I don't expect you to know this, seeing as how you didn't know that Sean Paytaon was no longer with the Cowboys this year, but Todd Haley is renowned for his temper. He gets into arguments with everyone, including a very famous one with Parcells during a game last season.

Is it really beyond all possibility that Haley was, in fact, in the wrong in this situation, and not T.O.? As the story goes, T.O. was late, told Parcells he was, without Parcells flipping out, and then Haley flipped out later. Seems entrely possible that Haley was the one that handled the situation poorly, especially knowing that this kind if stuff isn't usually leaked.

I'll say again, I'm pretty sure T.O. will give all of us a reason to be very frustrated with him before this little roller coaster ried is finished. Why some people feel it necessary to look for something under every rock around is beyond me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-15-2006 at 11:55 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #87
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Goo Goo Gye Gye

Someone needs a burp!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 AM   #88
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

3 touchdowns = here's your bottle
Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #89
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll say again, I'm pretty sure T.O. will give all of us a reason to be very frustrated with him before this little roller coaster ried is finished.
that is very wise
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #90
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
It's not about Jones covering his ass; it's about plugging the leak at Valley Ranch. This is the second T.O. related incident to find its way into the papers. What goes on inside the confines of the Ranch should stay there. If Jones was going to punish Haley, it was because he thought Haley was leaking information to the press, not because he engaged TO in a shouting match.

And if Haley was the leak, Parcells would be the first one to hold his ass to the fire. There's not a coach in the league who’s more oppressive when it comes to his staff.

If Haley’s not fined it's because he convinced Jerry AND Bill that he knows how to keep his mouth shut.
Dirno, your characterization of Parcells is probably closer to correct.

But Jones is in perpetual CYA mode ever since the signing of Owens. In fact, he's been in CYA mode ever since Jimmy Johnson told him to take his job and shove it. Cowboys had enough hold-over talent there from the Johnson era to bumble into the playoffs there for a couple of years with Switzer, but they've been in decline pretty much ever since. And the buck starts and stops with Jones.

So Jones doesn't want internal leaks, especially those that show the Owens signing to be poor judgment; but he himself feels justified in going before the press to announce an internal disciplinary action that he later has to rescind because it turns out Haley wasn't responsible? Nothing like a capricious autocrat to bolster a staff's morale.

Parcells' hiring was a desperation move. Owens' signing was grasping at straws. Playoffs this year are looking iffy for the Cowboys. Jones has taken one of the premier sports brands in history, and run it straight into mediocrity, and the Owens signing is symptomatic of his mismanagement. Watching the Cowboys now is not much different from watching the Giants, the Jets, the Dolphins, or pretty much any other underachieving, mediocre, miscollection of talents. When Parcells finally gives up, they're going to resemble the Raiders more than anything else. Notice that the Saints are now being referred to as America's Team? Unthinkable 20 years ago.

By the way, those leaks are coming from somewhere. Now who besides Haley might not be happy to see Owens in town?

Owens owns......Jones' ass.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #91
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirno, your characterization of Parcells is probably closer to correct.

But Jones is in perpetual CYA mode ever since the signing of Owens. In fact, he's been in CYA mode ever since Jimmy Johnson told him to take his job and shove it. Cowboys had enough hold-over talent there from the Johnson era to bumble into the playoffs there for a couple of years with Switzer, but they've been in decline pretty much ever since. And the buck starts and stops with Jones.

So Jones doesn't want internal leaks, especially those that show the Owens signing to be poor judgment; but he himself feels justified in going before the press to announce an internal disciplinary action that he later has to rescind because it turns out Haley wasn't responsible? Nothing like a capricious autocrat to bolster a staff's morale.

Parcells' hiring was a desperation move. Owens' signing was grasping at straws. Playoffs this year are looking iffy for the Cowboys. Jones has taken one of the premier sports brands in history, and run it straight into mediocrity, and the Owens signing is symptomatic of his mismanagement. Watching the Cowboys now is not much different from watching the Giants, the Jets, the Dolphins, or pretty much any other underachieving, mediocre, miscollection of talents. When Parcells finally gives up, they're going to resemble the Raiders more than anything else. Notice that the Saints are now being referred to as America's Team? Unthinkable 20 years ago.

By the way, those leaks are coming from somewhere. Now who besides Haley might not be happy to see Owens in town?

Owens owns......Jones' ass.
Good grief.

And what were the Cowboys before Jerry got here? A bad team, toiling in mediocrity. Being a winning football team is hard thing to keep going forever. Take a look at some other storied franchises, say the 49ers. Do you expect success each and every year?

Why was Parcells a desperation move? Why was signign the best receiver in football grasping at straws? You were angry at Jones for what he did after Jimmy left. Well after he left what he did was hire puppet coaches and not aquire talent.

So over the past few years he goes and gets a real coach, and aquires some real talent, and somehow these are not good enough for you either.

And you know jack squat about football if you think this team will resemble the Raiders after Parcells retires. This team has a good young nucleus intact.

Oh, and the Saints as America's team? Please. There really isn't an America's team anymore, but let's take a cencus of who has the most fans spread across the country, and I'll lay you 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 odds that the Cowboys have more than the effing Saints.

I don't even know why I bother with you. It's obvious you're just a bitter person that loved Tom Landry and the old Cowboys, still hasn't forgiven Jones for "what he did to Landry" and nothing other than success each and every year will satisfy you.

Oh, and the Cowboys playoffs chances are about as "iffy" as any team in the NFC, except for Chicago.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-16-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #92
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Do you expect success each and every year?
Each and every year? Hmm...making it into the playoffs consistently would be nice, I'd think.

Quote:
Well after he left what he did was hire puppet coaches and not aquire talent.
So you agree, that for the last 10-12 years, Jones did not acquire adequate talent, or hire capable managers. That was my point.

Quote:
And you know jack squat about football if you think this team will resemble the Raiders after Parcells retires. This team has a good young nucleus intact.
Parcells has acquired some talent defensively--that would be the reason to watch the Cowboys this year. If you see Bledsoe, Owens and Julius Jones as a good young nucleus comparable to Aikman, Irvin and Smith, well....there's your jack squat.

Quote:
Oh, and the Cowboys playoffs chances are about as "iffy" as any team in the NFC, except for Chicago.
Again, precisely the point. They're no better than about 30 other teams.

Quote:
I don't even know why I bother with you.
Good point. Why DID you go out of your way to address a post to me that turned out not to be correct anyway?

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 10-16-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #93
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Each and every year? Hmm...making it into the playoffs consistently would be nice, I'd think.
You didn't answer my question. Consistently is a general term. There are about 20 NFL franchises that would take 1 Superbowl followed by 10 years with no playoff wins. We got three.

Quote:
So you agree, that for the last 10-12 years, Jones did not acquire adequate talent, or hire capable managers. That was my point.
Of course i agree with this. But that wasn't your only point. You then went on to blast Jones for changing his ways and hiring a real football coach and aquiring talent.

Quote:
Parcells has acquired some talent defensively--that would be the reason to watch the Cowboys this year. If you see Bledsoe, Owens and Julius Jones as a good young nucleus comparable to Aikman, Irvin and Smith, well....there's your jack squat.
Um, no, I'm not comparing our three to those three. That's ridiculous. If you're expecting us to find a young future HOF at each of those positions then I would just stop watching football altogether, because it isn't going to happen.

Julius Jones is third in the NFL in yards per game btw. He looks like he's turning the corner.

Quote:
Again, precisely the point. They're no better than about 30 other teams.
And you feel that year in and year out we should be an elite NFL team?

Quote:
Good point. Why DID you go out of your way to address a post to me that turned out not to be correct anyway?
I really don't know why I bother with you. And my post wasn't wrong at all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-16-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #94
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't believe the statement about us resembling the Raiders when Parcells leaves. Wow... I guess you haven't looked around our team and noticed the abundance of quality YOUNG studs.

Guys on our front 3 like Spears-23, Canty-23, Ratliff-25, and Hatcher-24 that are completely shutting down the run. Guys on our LB corps like Ware-24, James-25, Ayodele-27, Burnett-23, and Carpenter-23, (who will hopefully come around soon). Guys in our secondary like Newman-28, Williams-26, and Watkins-23, (Henry is only 29). So, with the exception of Ferguson and Ellis, both being 31, there is no one starting on defense over 30!!! In fact, only those two guys and Al Singleton are over 30 on our entire defense. Think about that for a minute. Yeah, no youth and potential at all for our Cowboys.

And then there is the offense. The offense is a good bit older and needs some youth at the QB, WR, and T/G positions, but might have future studs at all, (yeah, you saw two hook up this past weekend in Romo-26 and Hurd-21; that isn't counting Crayton-27 and Austin-22 as potential WR replacements either). If Romo can become our QB of the future and Hurd can step in and play like he has in the PreSeason and during his spot duty, we would be very very good for quite some time. Parcells has been really impressed with McQuistan-23 also as a future LT and Columbo-28 has been solid. We really need guard help, but that is what future drafts are for, (Proctor-23 might end up being useful too). Our next two drafts should basically be for WR and OL depth, with a QB drafted if there is a good one on the board. So the rest of our offense features Jones-25, Barber-23, Witten-24, Fasano-22, Kosier-27, and Gurode-28 as young starters. This means that of our 22 man starting rotation we have 7 that are over 30 and 5 are on offense, (Bledsoe, Glenn, Owens, Adams and Rivera). Again, if Romo and Hurd can fill in for two and McQuistan and Proctor can help with the others, our future is pretty damn bright. We have a great young team that is only going to get better if we can have consistent QB play. Do you see either WR truly dropping off to the point that we should be worried. Glenn is better than he has ever been and getting consistent regarding nagging injuries. TO is, well, one of the best and heals very fast. Bledsoe is the HUGE question mark, but I like what I have seen in Romo.

That Raiders comment was just ignorant.

Edited to change AND to AS

Last edited by Male30Dan; 10-16-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #95
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, and our cap situation looks pretty good too!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #96
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Default Stupid East Coast Media Bias Strikes Again

Parcells attempts to deflect attention from Owens.

October 19, 2006
To Cowboys, Owens Is Not That Difficult

By JOHN BRANCH
Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells has rarely been overshadowed by anyone in the N.F.L. But with receiver Terrell Owens on his team, Parcells has become a secondary attraction. Much of the attention around Owens, Parcells said, has been blown out of proportion.

“I think there has been a lot more made of it by people outside of down here,” Parcells said from Dallas during a conference call with reporters who cover the Giants.

“It really hasn’t been that difficult,” he said.

The Cowboys and the Giants, each 3-2, play in Dallas on Monday night, shining another bright light on the inner workings of the Cowboys.

Owens has long been the N.F.L.’s most controversial player, and Parcells its most interesting coach. Owens signed with the Cowboys in the off-season, after stints with the 49ers and the Eagles. His time in San Francisco and in Philadelphia ended with controversy and fractured locker rooms.

Watching the relationship between Owens and Parcells has been a popular voyeuristic sport in Dallas and around the league.

“It’s been interesting, from time to time,” Parcells said. “But things are starting to slow down a little bit.”

Viewed from afar, Owens is less a football player than a string of headlines. The news he has created has been as mundane as a hamstring pull and as jolting as a report of a suicide attempt. The hamstring pull kept him out of most of training camp, and he dismissed the suicide report in September as a regrettable and accidental result of combining painkillers and nutritional supplements.

Fans remain on an oddly fascinating watch, waiting for the Cowboys’ implosion, with every incident seen as another charge going off.

After Owens had a couple of shouting matches last week with Todd Haley, the passing-game coordinator, Owens said he would no longer talk to Haley. He used a similar tactic with the Eagles, and it hastened his falling-out with the team.

But in Dallas’s 34-6 victory over the Houston Texans on Sunday, Owens caught three touchdown passes, embraced Haley and celebrated on the star at the middle of Texas Stadium. With the 49ers in 2000, Owens first posed on that star before being toppled by an angry Cowboys player, creating an uproar that looks almost quaint by the standards now applied to Owens.

Parcells said that shouting matches with his players occurred regularly, suggesting that a chronicle of those debates would fill volumes. But he said that the attention Owens draws was emblematic of the way an increasing number of players react to authority.

“Every once in a while,” Parcells said, “you run into a guy that, for some reason — I don’t know what they all are — they have certain opinions on things, and sometimes it’s an inflated opinion of their own ability.”

He added, “I do think there are guys — you see it in all sports now — they are pretty outspoken about everything.”

But Parcells did not apply that assessment directly to Owens. The Cowboys, despite the headline-making ability of Owens, are playing down the distraction angle. That is easier to do when the team has a winning record.

“The stuff that kind of circulates,” quarterback Drew Bledsoe said of Owens during a conference call, “and the attention that he draws, for the most part, stays outside of our locker room and our meeting rooms. It’s not near the distraction that you guys might think it is from afar.”

Parcells and Bledsoe said that Owens was learning to adapt to the offense. For his first 10 N.F.L. seasons, Owens played in a version of the West Coast offense, with its litany of short and quick passes. The Cowboys, like the Giants, use more traditional, but no less complicated, schemes.

Owens (Editorial comment: ONLY) has 22 receptions for 277 yards, numbers that slightly trail those of his teammate Terry Glenn. Owens has four touchdown catches, and Glenn has three.

“I wasn’t concerned about him when we first signed him,” Bledsoe said of Owens, “and I’m not any more concerned about him now. I think it’s going to be a very good thing for us going forward.”

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 10-19-2006 at 02:29 AM.