Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-01-2001, 03:04 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Im leaving in a couple hours to go see the game in Oakland. Im still going with a Mavs win, but I hope they don't fall behind by 21 before kicking it into gear.

Go Mavs!
Old 12-01-2001, 05:36 PM   #2
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I'm leaving off predictions for a while. The Mavs are just playing too inconsistently to make predictions. Playing like they did in the second half of the last two games, they can stay with anybody; playing like they did in the first half, they could be beaten by just about anybody (maybe not the Bulls--but then again).

This game should be a win. As shown last game, Golden State cannot beat Dallas. But the current Dallas team could very well let Golden State win.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:28 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not predicting a score. All I want right now is a solid start to the game - show a little defensive intensity in the first quarter.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:48 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Oh baby! Eschmeyer got the block, caught the ball, fed Nash who passed to Finley for the jam. Esch is really playing well.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:01 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!
Old 12-01-2001, 11:02 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

Is anyone else here?
Old 12-01-2001, 11:12 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk showing some fire. I like it. Get fired up, and then take it out on Murph.

And Esch has played well tonight so far.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 11:35 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The return of Hack-a-Shaq [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 02:31 AM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the outtage guys..something must've been up with the server (other sites on the same server weren't pulling up either). Hope it's fixed now.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:11 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

(I copied and pasted this here since I posted on the LMF board first. Sorry, wasn't thinking DJ. I made some additions here though.)

I was at the game in Oakland tonight and was amazed by how the Mavs seemed to toy with the Warriors. It looked so easy for them tonight. They simply crushed Golden State in every way possible. Some player analysis that I wanted to comment on.

-Griffin, glues to his guy and doesn't let up and doesn't take a shot when not appropriate. He has some nice passing and has the ball handling skills I wish Fin had. Im not sure he had everything to do with the no-show from Jamison. I was surprised to see the box score that Jamison took 11 shots, I didn't think he touched the ball that much. He was a non-factor, he might as well have been in street clothes. I really couldn't believe he was held scoreless.

-Dirk, I swear took more than 18 shots. (Murph would of been proud cause Dirk wanted the ball and got the ball.) He couldn't buy one from down-town, so he took a couple steps in and nailed it with ease. Shooting looks so easy for him. It really is amazing to see him shoot the ball. It was wierd though cause I could of swore he missed more than he made but he was 9-18. Very wierd, but fun to watch.

-Bradley, I thought was going to end with another pathetic showing after his start. I remember Nelson pulling him aside during one of the missed free throws by the Warriors and was hollering in his ear. I think he must of threatened him with a trade cause Bradley came out played defense, held onto his rebounds, blocked shots and was more of a factor than the box score gives him credit for. How often can you say that?

-Finley, wasn't really looking to score and didn't rush any of his shots. And didn't take any that looked uncalled for. (Murph would even be proud) And is it me, or is he working harder on rebounding? It seems like he has been more aggressive in the last few games and was going after all he could tonight and ended with 10. He handled the ball better and was slapping and poking at everything and had to be cheated some steals. I know he had more than 3. He seemed better defensively too, only slipping twice that I can think of, by letting Richardson blow by him.

-Nash, kept hitting the floor. I seriously lost count how many times he slipped, trip and stuttered on the floor. Didn't cost us turnovers or anything, just something weird and worth mentioning. Like Fin, he wasn't looking to score and was thinking more about dishing the ball out. Quiet night from him but really effective.

-Eschmeyer, ok, I understand that it was against the Warriors but he looked impressive to me out there. He was banging around, going for loose balls and had to have more than 1 block. And he was rebounding. That flagrant foul, from my angle, didn't look like much. Even the people around me didn't think so, but hey, it was called. He ran the floor well and didn't look so flat-footed as some have posted. No, he isn't going to replace Booth, but could be more effective than we're all thinking. Im not sure what he's doing or not doing that Nelson would have him sit more than play. He was impressive enough to have people around me asking who he was and complimenting his play.

-Howard, had some nice moves around the basket (Murph, don't laugh cause it's true) but just couldn't finish and Im not sure why. They just bounced out. And that air ball, well, let's just forget about it. He was like Jamison, really a non-factor, imo. Didn't hurt us, just didn't really factor in.

-Hardaway, got a nice welcome from the crowd. He looked better offensively too, maybe he's outta the slump. I was surprised to see that he had missed shots and that he took 5 from down-town. He just seemed to be hitting his shots tonight and they were smart shots, none of that run down the court and hoist up a 3 cause he felt like it. And man, did he have some nice passing inside to the guys. Good to see.

-Newman, could be useful for us. Not that he's going to tear anything or anyone up, but he couldn't do worse than the Wolky ever would of. He seemed pretty cool on defense for his age. This may be a strange mention, but he has potential with the Mavs. No, I can't explain what Im wanting to, there was just something there.

-Manning, I forgot how easy it looks for him to score. I'd seen him play enough when he was with Phoenix and he just makes it look easy. Like Hardaway, he had some nice passing inside to the guys. Both him and Hardaway, had the crowd ohhing and ahhhing with some of the passes.

-Najera, is just energy. He looked to be fooling around on his shooting, hence the missed shots. But, he seemed to take after Fin tonight and was poking and slapping at the ball. He was trying for the rebounds and was just oozing energy. Hyper comes to mind.

-Harvey, I wonder why Nelson didn't play him more? I don't get it, the game was over in the 3rd, yet he didn't enter the game until there was 7 minutes left or so. How can that guy bounce and jump like he does? He didn't have any rebounds, but had this sick pass inside to somebody for a bucket. It was cool, like a Nash pass inside. I kept chanting for somebody to get him the ball so he could dunk it. It wasn't his most spectacular, but it was sweet and had the crowd cheering. Then they laughed at him when he missed the other dunk. Not sure what happened there. But, Nelson needs to play him more. He seemed as good as anyone on defense and didn't look like a rookie, so I don't know what Nelson's excuse is. I really don't.

As for Golden State, the only thing that impressed me was Troy Murphy. He had some nice moves on Dirk, Im sure that sounds funny but it's true. The only thing against him is that he might of landed on the wrong team.

As for those missed free throws, I've never witnessed such a horrific sight on the court. It was so bad how the crowd booed and booed. And they booed plenty let me tell you. Nelson was smart with fouling Foyle cause it crushed them mentally, Im sure.

Hmm, did I leave anything out?

Old 12-02-2001, 08:33 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MavsFanFinley - your analysis of the Hack-a-Foyle was correct. The Warriors just collapsed afterwards. They knew they had been out-coached and combining that with the energy the Mavs were devoting to defense = Mavs blowout.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:04 AM   #12
jules88

jules88 is on a distinguished road

Thanks MavsFanFinley!!!! I didn't get to watch all of the game, but your analysis filled me in. Job well done!!
Old 12-02-2001, 02:58 PM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I'm pretty sure that harvey was not feeling well last night.

Juwan never finishes, get used to it.

Dirk is always going to shoot around 50%.

Good analysis of the game MFfin.

"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:23 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Very good analysis, MFF.

Here's my $.02

Dirk shot the ball 18 times in 25 minutes. If you figure it out over his "normal" 37-40 minutes it comes out to be 27 shots. That is exactly the number he needs to be around. He was very aggressive with his shot in the Golden State game and hope he is that way against sacremento tonight.

Esch was a **man** tonight on the interior. If he can bring that every night we can compete with the Spurs, Lakers and Kings.

We hustled and showed a lot of intensity and drive. It was very nice to see Dallas shut down the opponent in the first quarter. We did not shoot the ball great in the first half, but we will not be held down for long (evidence by the 39 points in the 3rd) so it is CRITICAL that we play good solid D for 4 quarters. And we succeeded last night.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 07:56 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

This may have marked the first night in the era of the Mavs new two headed center dominance:

32 minutes
17 boards
12 points
3 blocks
9 hard fouls

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:05 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

27 shot attempts might be a bit much but he should definitely be in the 20-25 range.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:13 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

If we can get the center play we had last night consistently (and Bradley is getting a good start tonight) then it lifts us into the elite level--with the center play we have had up to now, we are merely very good.