Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default ESPN Insider: Draft grades: evaluating every team, from A+ to D+ / By Chad Ford

Draft grades: evaluating every team, from A+ to D+

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

When I'm not covering the draft for ESPN, I grade students for a living as a university professor. So I know that grades can be arbitrary, and in the case of instant draft grades, they are based on incomplete information.

But they are also a necessary tool for evaluation.

So how did the 30 NBA teams do in Thursday night's draft?

Before Thursday, we billed it as the deepest draft in years -- and this year's grades reflect the quality of players available, thanks to Greg Oden, Kevin Durant and a host of others.

Atlanta Hawks Grade: B

Round 1: Al Horford (3); Acie Law (11)

Round 2: None

Analysis: On talent, the Hawks probably should get an A. They got the best power forward and second-best point guard in the draft, filling two very large needs. The two rookies will make the team respectable. But the Hawks passed on the chance to become a dangerous playoff team -- they had a shot at getting Amare Stoudemire for these two picks and walked away. That's why we docked them.

Boston Celtics Grade: B+

Round 1: None

Round 2: Gabe Pruitt (32), Glen Davis (35)

Analysis: Celtics fans clamoring for another star to play alongside Paul Pierce got their wish -- sort of. Ray Allen is still a great player, but a combination of him, Pierce and Al Jefferson doesn't necessarily make them a contender, even in the East -- which makes the trade of the No. 5 pick questionable.

Then again, they did dump Wally Szczerbiak's big contract and land two players in the second round who have a real chance of making their roster.

If Allen (plus whatever pieces Danny Ainge gets later this summer) puts them in the Eastern Conference finals, the trade was worth it. If he doesn't, Ainge may have mortgaged the future just to appease Pierce.

Charlotte Bobcats Grade: B-

Round 1: Jared Dudley (22)

Round 2: Jermareo Davidson (36)

Analysis: The Bobcats traded the draft rights to Brandan Wright for the chance to overpay Jason Richardson. But Richardson actually is a good fit in Charlotte. The Bobcats needed a veteran, not more young players. And he provides exactly what the Bobcats need -- a potent scoring option in their backcourt.

His contract will have an impact, but if the Bobcats don't re-sign Gerald Wallace, they could still make a run at Rashard Lewis this summer.

Dudley and Davidson were good value picks -- especially Dudley, who has a chance to be a Shane Battier-type player in the NBA.

Chicago Bulls Grade: B+

Round 1: Joakim Noah (9)

Round 2: Aaron Gray (49), JamesOn Curry (51)

Analysis: The Bulls got their guy at No. 9. Noah fits the Bulls' culture of hustle and passion.

But his offensive game is weak, so how can he play at the same time as Ben Wallace or Tyrus Thomas?

I'm not sure either second-round pick will stick on the roster.

Cleveland Cavaliers Grade: Inc.

Analysis: No draft picks.

Dallas Mavericks Grade: C+

Round 2: Nick Fazekas (34), Renaldas Seibutis (50), Milovan Rakovic (60)

Analysis: Fazekas' numbers suggest he'll be a good NBA player, but his slow feet say the opposite. He can shoot, but the Mavs have Dirk Nowitzki for that.

With more experience in Europe, Seibutis could be a good scorer. I doubt we'll ever hear from Rakovic again.

Denver Nuggets Grade: Inc.

Detroit Pistons Grade: A-

Round 1: Rodney Stuckey (15), Arron Afflalo (27)

Round 2: Sammy Mejia (57)

Analysis: At No. 15, the Pistons had a difficult choice between Nick Young and Stuckey. I had Young rated higher, but Stuckey was a better fit for Detroit. The high-scoring combo guard can provide relief to both Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton.

Afflalo is also a good fit with the Pistons because of his blue-collar work ethic.

I'm not sure if Mejia can make it as a third rookie guard on this roster.

Golden State Warriors Grade: A

Round 1: Brandan Wright (8), Marco Belinelli (18)

Round 2: Stephane Lasme (46)

Analysis: I think the Warriors made several excellent moves here. In exchange for Jason Richardson, they got a player with great upside in Wright, who will be at home given Golden State's up-tempo style. He also fits a need in the frontcourt.

Belinelli also will thrive with Golden State. He loves to let it fly and Nellie will let him.

But the biggest addition may have been one of subtraction. By sending Jason Richardson packing, the team created a whopping $10 million trade exception that they can use to lure a free agent via sign-and-trade or to help with a trade in the next year.

Houston Rockets Grade: D+

Round 1: Aaron Brooks (26)

Round 2: Carl Landry (31), Brad Newley (54)

Analysis: New Houston GM Daryl Morey may be the resident Rocket scientist, but I don't get this draft.

Brooks is an undersized point guard who's really more of a 2-guard in the Earl Boykins mode.

Landry is tough and physical, which fits a need in Houston, but I don't think he's as good as Glen Davis, who was available.

Newley has talent, but does he really want to be a role player for the Rockets? If not, he can just stay in Australia and be a star.

Morey is smart, and he may make me look very stupid in a few years for saying this, but I think the Rockets' draft was one of the worst of the night.

Indiana Pacers Grade: B-

Round 2: Stanko Barac (39)

Analysis: Barac has generated a lot of buzz among international scouts. He was productive this year in Serbia (many young European prospects aren't very productive), and he's very skilled. He needs more experience and has to add some weight, but drafting him here was only a mild risk.

If he develops, they got a steal. If he never works out, they didn't give up much -- just a future second-round pick (Barac was drafted by Miami and then traded to Indiana for a future second-rounder).

Los Angeles Clippers Grade: A-

Round 1: Al Thornton (14)

Round 2: Jared Jordan (45)

Analysis: The Clippers went bargain hunting and picked up two players who slipped further than they should have.

Thornton slipped because of his age (24) and questions about his wrist -- but he has an NBA-ready game. His arrival makes it appear that Corey Maggette is back on the trading block.

Jordan is one of the best pure point guards in this draft class. He's not big or athletic, but he has a sixth sense for seeing the floor the same way that injured Clippers point guard Shaun Livingston does.

Los Angeles Lakers Grade: B+

Round 1: Javaris Crittenton (19)

Round 2: Sun Yue (40), Marc Gasol (48)

Analysis: Phil Jackson likes big point guards who can shoot, and Crittenton has the talent to make the Lakers very happy -- if they're patient. Crittenton isn't ready now, though he could be soon.

The Lakers also did a nice job with those second-round picks. Sun can sell tickets in L.A -- and become an effective understudy for Luke Walton. Gasol doesn't have the talent or athleticism of his brother, but he is a big body who can be a nice role player down the road.

Memphis Grizzlies Grade: A

Round 1: Mike Conley (4)

Round 2: None.

Analysis: The Grizzlies land the best point guard in the draft -- a guy who can, with seasoning, become a Tony Parker-like leader on the floor. With Conley, Pau Gasol, Mike Miller and Rudy Gay, the Grizzlies could be worth watching again. They probably won't be in the playoffs anytime soon in the crowded West, but they are headed in the right direction again.

Miami Heat Grade: C+

Round 1: Daequan Cook (21)

Analysis: We all love Cook's talent, but he'll likely have the same role in Miami that he had at Ohio State -- on the bench. Pat Riley doesn't have much patience for young players who aren't ready. (Just ask Dorell Wright.) It's too bad Cook didn't stay in school another year.

Milwaukee Bucks Grade: Inc.

Round 1: Yi Jianlian (6)

Round 2: Ramon Sessions (56)

Analysis: From a talent perspective, the Bucks made the right choice. But will Yi ever play in Milwaukee?

The Bucks knew they were taking a risk, because they knew Yi's camp didn't want him in Milwaukee. And now that the pick is made, Yi's camp will probably push for a trade.

If the Bucks have their way, they'll be rewarded with a player with tremendous potential.

Minnesota Timberwolves Grade: B

Round 1: Corey Brewer (7)

Round 2: Chris Richard (41)

Analysis: The Wolves tried hard to complete a Kevin Garnett trade that would net them more picks -- even on Thursday, Minnesota was talking with Golden State and Charlotte but couldn't seal the deal.

So they add Brewer, a versatile defender with an emerging offensive game, and Richard, a bruising big man who never got a chance to show his stuff in college.

Even if they keep KG, the additions won't be enough to put the Wolves back in the playoffs.

If they trade KG, then Brewer and Randy Foye, their '06 first-round pick, become the new backbone of the team.

New Jersey Nets Grade: A-

Round 1: Sean Williams (17)

Analysis: I like risk-takers, so I applaud the Nets for taking a chance at No. 17. Williams has the talent of a lottery pick, but he slipped because of off-court issues.

Maybe the temptations the NBA provides will torpedo Williams' career. But in the right environment, he could become the athletic shot-blocker the Nets have sought for years.

New Orleans Hornets Grade: B+

Round 1: Julian Wright (13)

Round 2: Adam Haluska (43)

Analysis: While Nick Young might have been the better fit, Wright is the better player. He's not a great shooter, but he does everything else really well and will be a great fit alongside Chris Paul in the open court -- and he has plenty of upside.

Haluska, on the other hand, seems like a huge stretch.

New York Knicks Grade: B-

Round 1: Wilson Chandler (23)

Round 2: Demetris Nichols (53)

Analysis: Chandler has the athletic ability to be a very good NBA player -- but does he have the heart and head of an NBA player?

The Zach Randolph acquisition had nothing to do with the draft, but it was the real story on draft day for New York. While New York easily won the trade from a talent perspective, it was a reminder that Knicks president Isiah Thomas doesn't seem to understand chemistry. The Stephon Marbury-Steve Francis combo never worked, and likewise we have to wonder how a pairing of Randolph with Eddy Curry will work.

Orlando Magic Grade: B

Round 2: Reyshawn Terry (44)

Analysis: Terry is a good value in the second round. He's a prototypical small forward with a great body and good skills.

But the real story here is that the Magic traded their first-round pick to acquire Darko Milicic. So far, the trade looks like it's paying off for Orlando -- but Darko is a restricted free agent this summer, and Orlando is going to have to decide how much he's worth.

Philadelphia 76ers Grade: A-

Round 1: Thaddeus Young (12), Jason Smith (20)

Round 2: Derrick Byars (42), Herbert Hill (55)

Analysis: I'm a big fan of the Sixers' draft. Young has as much upside as any small forward in the draft, and Smith has great potential as well -- really, the difference between him and Yi Jianlian isn't huge. Both are athletic 7-footers who can shoot the ball and run the floor.

Byars and Hill are value picks who could make the team.

Phoenix Suns Grade: C

Round 1: Alando Tucker (29)

Round 2: D. J. Strawberry (59)

Analysis: For the fourth straight year, the Suns sold or traded a first-round pick. This year it was Rudy Fernandez to the Blazers. Last year it was Sergio Rodriguez to the Blazers. The year before it was Nate Robinson to the Knicks. And in 2004 it was Luol Deng to the Bulls. The Suns probably should have kept all of those picks.

Tucker was a bit of a surprise at No. 29. He's a fantastic athlete and scorer, but he can't shoot -- a big problem in Mike D'Antoni's system.

Strawberry gives the team versatility in the back court and a defensive presence. But he can't shoot either.

Portland Trail Blazers Grade: A+

Round 1: Greg Oden (1), Rudy Fernandez (24), Petteri Koponen (30)

Round 2: Josh McRoberts (37), Taurean Green (52)

Analysis: For the second straight year, the Blazers walk away with the best grade in the draft.

Landing Oden alone gets them an A. But GM Kevin Pritchard didn't rest there. He also acquired two late first-rounders, including Fernandez, who is quickly becoming a star at the highest levels of the Euroleague. Both he and Koponen will likely play in Europe for one more year before heading to Portland.

In the second round, McRoberts, a close friend of Oden, was also a steal. But I'm not sure Green can make the team.

While they gave up a ton of talent in trading Zach Randolph, the Blazers saved roughly $30 million in long-term salaries, improved the locker-room atmosphere and landed a player in Frye who was virtually untouchable just a year ago.

Sacramento Kings Grade: C+

Round 1: Spencer Hawes (10)

Analysis: The Kings continue their tradition of big, unathletic centers in the middle. Hawes is a skilled player around the basket, and like Brad Miller, he's an amazing passer.

But his lack of athleticism will probably keep him from being a star. I think Al Thornton or Julian Wright may have been a better pick here.

San Antonio Spurs Grade: A

Round 1: Tiago Splitter (28)

Round 2: Marcus Williams (33), Giorgos Printezis (58)

Analysis: The Spurs continue to amaze with their ability to find gems late in the draft. Splitter would've gone 10 to 15 spots higher if he had been able to get out of his contract and come to the NBA next season. But next summer, he can exercise a buyout and join the Spurs. When he comes, he'll be 23, battle-tested in the Euroleague and ready to supplant Fabricio Oberto in the middle.

As a pure small forward, Williams also seems like a great fit, as long as he can get with coach Gregg Popovich's team-oriented game plan. Printezis is a young, athletic forward who will continue to play in Greece for a while.

Seattle SuperSonics Grade: A-

Round 1: Kevin Durant (2), Jeff Green (5)

Analysis: Durant guarantees a high grade, but we have to consider the Sonics' other big move, as well.

The price was high for Green. While moving Ray Allen and his contract was smart, I'm not sure the same can be said for taking on Wally Szczerbiak's contract.

As for Green himself, he's a great prospect and a good complement to Durant. But I'm a little surprised they didn't go for Yi Jianlian at No. 5. Given the Sonics' potential move, he and Durant may have been able to keep basketball in Seattle for a long time.

Toronto Raptors Grade: Inc.

Utah Jazz Grade: B+

Round 1: Morris Almond (25)

Round 2: Kyrylo Fesenko (38)

Analysis: The Jazz wanted a shooter to stretch the defense, and they got one in Almond, possibly the best shooter in the draft. Almond is also a crafty scorer, but he needs to work on his athleticism.

Fesenko is a physical low-post presence who could be a nice complement to Mehmet Okur in the paint someday. Considering where they were picking, the Jazz drafted well.

Washington Wizards Grade: B+

Round 1: Nick Young (16)

Round 2: Dominic McGuire (47)

Analysis: Landing Young here was a steal. Young and Gilbert Arenas will make a potent scoring duo in the backcourt.

McGuire is intriguing as an Andrei Kirilenko-type forward.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I guess the Reyshawn Terry acquisition just blew by everybody didn't it? Don't these writers do this for a living?

Last edited by Windmill360; 06-30-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Boston gets a B+? Really?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We trade

"I doubt we'll ever hear from Rakovic again. "
for
"Terry is a good value in the second round. He's a prototypical small forward with a great body and good skills. "
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I guess Chad does not believe in Hollinger's Draft model, which says that we got a steal in the second round.

Thanks for posting the article Doc.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs Rule
I guess Chad does not believe in Hollinger's Draft model, which says that we got a steal in the second round.

Thanks for posting the article Doc.
The stupider part of his analysis is saying that having a second shooter at the PF position is a bad thing as if Dirk plays 48 minutes a game

We needed
1) A playmaking pointguard
2) Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade for the SG position
3) a five-year-younger Shaq at center
4) a backup for Dirk

and Im pretty sure we couldnt get a starting 1, 2, or 5 in the second round without a 90%+ chance of failure. Instead we got the backup for Dirk with good chances he will actually work out.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-30-2007 at 08:40 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

That's one poor analysis.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
Thornton slipped because of his age (24) and questions about his wrist -- but he has an NBA-ready game. His arrival makes it appear that Corey Maggette is back on the trading block.
I hope this is true. The Clips need a point guard, too.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

D+ for his analysis.. what a tool.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This guys gives us a C+ after his scouting report on Nick was "Dirk without the Athleticism".....oy vey.

Fazekas can run the floor and dunk it on his man in transition. I've seen at least one highlight of him doing it. His only weakness I saw in the few highlights of him was interior defense when he was playing center. However, his help-side defense when playing the four looked solid.

Shocked. The drafting of Howard and Ager didn't shock me this much. Even if Fazekas stinks, why he wasn't picked in the lottery is beyond me. What are teams looking for these days Chaddy Ford? Skilled big (6'11 to be precise) men with almost no holes in their game isn't on their list?

Lets finalize this dicussion. The Spurs, probably with the least athleticism in the league, won the championship this year. If Oberto can make it in the league with his slow butt, I absolutely guarantee Fazekas is more than capable too.

Bored so here is a his pre-draft video: http://next.video.msn.com/video.aspx...2-0eebbae18e6a

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-02-2007 at 10:55 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #11
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Grading The Draft: Western Conference
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 17th July, 2007 - 2:47 pm

This is the second and final part of this two-piece series that first looked at the draft performance of the teams in the Eastern Conference, and now concludes with a report card for those enjoying the early starting game times out West. Once again, the criterion that will compose the overall grade will be based on three subjects – overall quality and talent of player(s) selected, team needs addressed, and an added plus for teams who landed a steal versus a minus for those who jumped on a guy who could be a potential first round bust.

This column will consist of a division-by-division analysis of the players selected or obtained on Draft Night by each team in the Western Conference. The ‘Talent Selected?’ category will rank from a low score of 1 to a high score of 5.

Northwest Division

Denver Nuggets

With no picks in the draft, it is difficult to justify giving them a grade.

Talent Selected? N/A
Addressed Team Needs? NA
Steal or Bust? N/A

Grade: N/A

Minnesota Timberwolves

Round 1: Corey Brewer (7th)
Round 2: Chris Richard (41st)

The Timberwolves added one of the best players of the first round. Corey Brewer will come in and compete for the starting small forward position. He has the potential to become a defensive stopper who will mesh well with the defensive abilities of Kevin Garnett, while providing a dangerous outside shot when left open. With slashers like Randy Foye and Ricky Davis, Brewer could become a deadly weapon for the Wolves on the wing. Richard will have difficulty cracking the rotation as another body playing behind Craig Smith and Juwan Howard.

Talent Selected? 4
Addressed Team Needs? Mostly
Steal or Bust? Unlikely.

Grade: B

Portland Trailblazers

Round 1: Greg Oden (1st), Rudy Fernandez (24th), Petteri Koponen (30th)
Round 2: Josh McRoberts (37th), Taurean Green (52nd)

The Blazers have done it once again. They had the best draft by far. They added a potential franchise center in number one overall selection Greg Oden, they added perhaps the backcourt of the future with Fernandez and Koponen, and grabbed two ridiculous steals in the second round. They were also able to bring in Channing Frye from the Knicks in exchange primarily for the troubled Zach Randolph, which should clear the paint area for Mr. Oden quite nicely.

Talent Selected? 5
Addressed Team Needs? Yes
Steal or Bust? Both Josh McRoberts and Taurean Green were winners in college and could have easily been gone in the first round.

Grade: A+

Seattle Supersonics

Round 1: Kevin Durant (2nd), Jeff Green (5th)

With the easiest job in the draft, the Sonics sat back and waited to see which potential superstar fell into their laps. Kevin Durant won every single college basketball award last year and could develop into the league’s leading scorer within his first couple of seasons. The trade that sent Ray Allen to Boston in exchange for Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and Jeff Green will change the face of the franchise and offer the city of Seattle (or Oklahoma City or Vegas or…) a fresh start with two budding stars with which to build around.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Grade: A

Utah Jazz

Round 1: Morris Almond (25th)
Round 2: Kyrylo Fesenko (38th)

Needing only a shooting guard to fill out their already potent starting lineup, the Jazz were fortunate when the purest shooting guard fell to them at the 25th pick. With comparisons to Allan Houston, Morris Almond will benefit greatly from the incredible passing ability of Deron Williams and Andrei Kirilenko. He should fit in with Jerry Sloan’s system very well and could be the starter at the two by midseason.

Talent Selected? 3
Steal or Bust? Neither.

Pacific Division

Golden State Warriors

Round 1: Brandan Wright (8th), Marco Belinelli (18th)
Round 2: Stephane Lasme (46th)

The Warriors had an incredible draft night. While many will contend that trading Jason Richardson was a mistake, they were able to shed the remaining 4 yrs/$51M off the books, while adding the prospect many classified as the third best talent available. Belinelli looks like the best shooting guard in the draft as he has been dominant thus far in the summer leagues, and Stephane Lasme broke Marcus Camby’s UMASS record for blocked shots last season, and will fit into the up tempo Warrior pace very well.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Unlikely

Los Angeles Clippers

Round 1: Al Thornton (14th)
Round 2: Jared Jordan (45th)

With a glaring need at point guard, the Clippers passed on highly touted Javaris Crittenton in the first round and instead went with one of the best talents in the lottery. Thornton could have cracked the top ten had it not been for his age (24). They were able to grab two players who could come in and contribute immediately and should not have been available at their drafting positions.

Talent Selected? 4
Addressed Team Needs? Not entirely.
Steal or Bust? Jared Jordan has the potential to be a very good point guard in the league.

Grade: B+

Los Angeles Lakers

Round 1: Javaris Crittenton (19th)
Round 2: Sun Yue (40th), Marc Gasol (48th)

The Lakers find themselves in turmoil with the Kobe Bryant saga, and taking another young inexperienced point guard in the first round is probably not going to relax the tension between Kobe and the Boss. After drafting point guards in the past two drafts (Jordan Farmar last year), and then signing free agent Derek Fisher, the Lakers seem to be piling the assets in order to make a big splash in the trade market. Both Yue and Gasol were great talents that the Lakers pounced on late in the draft and could turn out to be great pros if and when they come to America.

Talent Selected? 4
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? It is believed both Yue and Gasol will remain overseas.

Phoenix Suns

Round 1: Alando Tucker (29th)
Round 2: D.J. Strawberry (59th)

The Suns finally used one of their picks to bring in a player to help out their depth issues. However, they added two more tweeners in Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry, neither of which can shoot very well. They failed to address their backup point guard vacancy and their lack of big men. It seems as if Steve Kerr just wants a team full of tweeners…at least Strawberry can be a versatile defender.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? Not at all.
Steal or Bust? If Strawberry learns to shoot (not in the same way his father did), then he can turn out to be a steal at the 59th pick.

Grade: D+

Sacramento Kings

Round 1: Spencer Hawes (10th)

The problem with taking Spencer Hawes for the Kings is that they already have Brad Miller. Spencer Hawes is merely a younger version of Brad Miller. They really needed to upgrade their power forward position and a pick of Thaddeus Young or Al Thornton would have given them a versatile three/four man who would not only assume the power forward slot with small lineups, but also provide insurance at the three position for the next time Ron Artest completely eliminates his trade value and goes berserk again.

Talent Selected? 4
Addressed Team Needs? Not really.
Steal or Bust? Unlikely.

Grade: C

Southwest Division

Dallas Mavericks

Round 2: Nick Fazekas (34th), Reyshawn Terry (44th), Renaldas Seibutis (50th)

Equipped only with second round selections, the Mavericks made the most out of their draft night by snatching two proven college players in Fazekas and Terry. Both Fazekas and Terry, along with last year’s pick Maurice Ager, will provide depth and youth to an already strong roster.

Talent Selected? 4
Addressed Team Needs? Somewhat
Steal or Bust? Reyshawn Terry can step in behind Josh Howard and be an effective steal for the Mavs this season.

Grade: B+

Houston Rockets

Round 1: Aaron Brooks (26th)
Round 2: Carl Landry (31st), Brad Newley (54th)

The Rockets had perhaps the worst draft in the league. After obtaining and aging shoot-first point guard Mike James, they selected an undersized shoot-first point guard in Aaron Brooks. With plenty of players that could help fortify the thin Houston power forward position, they decided to squander their pick on Brooks. Landry and Newley are good pick-ups, but are unlikely to have much of an impact.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? No
Steal or Bust? While the Brooks selection makes no sense, the Landry and Newley additions could cancel out the bizarre selection of the tiny point guard.

Grade: D

Memphis Grizzlies

Round 1: Mike Conley Jr. (4th)

Faced with the same situation as the Seattle Supersonics , the Grizzlies just had to sit back and wait and see who Atlanta selected. As clear as Oden and Durant were the number one and two picks, Al Horford and Mike Conley were the third and fourth. In this case, Memphis was seeking both: a big man who can play next to Pau Gasol immediately or a young stud point guard who can take over for the aging Damon Stoudamire. Conley has the tools to be a big step up from Stoudamire and Kyle Lowry, and together they should mesh well with Tarence Kinsey to be one of the most youthful dynamic backcourts in the league.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Neither.

New Orleans Hornets

Round 1: Julian Wright (13th)
Round 2: Adam Haluska (43rd)

Needing an upgrade at either the shooting guard or small forward position, the Hornets snatched the very versatile and multi-talented Julian Wright. He will be able to play the three while Peja Stojakovic is capable of shooting lights out from the two position. A player we expected the Hornets to pounce on was Nick Young, which would have kept the aging and slowing Stojakovic at the small forward position. Either way, they were able to nab a great talent who had top ten talent.

Talent Selected? 3
Addressed Team Needs? Mostly
Steal or Bust? Unlikely.

San Antonio Spurs

Round 1: Tiago Splitter (28th)
Round 2: Marcus Williams (33rd)

The Spurs seem to be the only team who knows what they are doing every single year. Already stacked with the world title and an incredibly stacked roster, they knew they could take a flyer on one of the best Brazilian players in the world, Tiago Splitter. Since the Spurs are already set for the next year, Splitter can remain overseas and become even more experienced for his eventual trip up to San Antonio. With the wing position rapidly aging for this Spurs roster, it was vital to snatch another wing man, and they were able to grab a first round talent from a well-coached winning basketball program in Marcus Williams (Arizona). These Spurs know what they are doing.

Talent Selected? 5
Steal or Bust? Both should be solid when they hit the courts for the Spurs.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote