Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-15-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

13 Academy award nominations to Fellowship...
let's hope it takes home at least 4-5
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

4 oscars and counting.. need at least 1-2 more
Old 03-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

4 awards is all she gets. 3 of which were technical awards. I thought Sir Ian was going to win for Gandalf. But they gave it to the Iris guy instead.

Overall a very weird Oscar year, IMO.

Denzel won? Denzel? For Training Day? Please. That movie was utterly mediocre. Denzel has probably given 5 lead performances better than that.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

when i saw training day in the theaters, it never once crossed my mind that ti would get an oscar nomination for ANYTHING, let alone best actor and best supporting actor.

very weird.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

LOTR=BORING
Old 03-25-2002, 12:40 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Denzel must have won the award due to the respect of all his past works. I think the academy decided it was finally his time. The role was not one typical of winning the Oscar, or even a nomination. Typically, historical characters or characters with handicaps usually win. There were several others nominated that matched better with what the academy usually chooses. I was shocked when Washington won.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 01:14 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

now, i will say that it was very interesting to see denzel as a bad guy. so maybe they gave him that because it was different from other roles he's played.

speaking of that, robin williams is gonna play a murderer in the movie INSOMNIA. weird, huh?
Old 03-25-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< Denzel must have won the award due to the respect of all his past works. >>

You may be right, but that would be stupid because he already won one academy award for Glory.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #9
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

If we knew why the individuals of the academy vote for someone, I'm sure we'd know why Denzel and Halle both won on the same night....makes you think...the one word that comes to my mind.....appeasement....that's all I have to say about that.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

I really hope that is not the case. There have been so many standout performances by african-americans; some recognized and some not. I think it is far better to give awards based on merit rather than appeasement. If you want to do that, at least give awards to those previously overlooked. Where is James Earl Jones' Oscar? Morgan Freeman's? Go back and give John Singleton an award for Boyz in the Hood.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, i do think that halle berry probably desereved her oscar (didn't see the movie, though).

but i have an aside.

We all knew that an african-american woman had never won &quot;best actress.&quot; everyone in the world knew that if they knew anything about the oscars. so halle wins. she should be grateful and everyone should commend her on her performance.

but what happened was a whole lot of &quot;ABOUT TIME!&quot; and &quot;WE'VE NEVER GOTTEN ANY RESPECT.&quot;

it was already a pretty obvious race issue, and everyone (berry, whoopi, everyone and their mother) took it and blew it up even more.

ok, did that make sense?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:05 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I thought it was funny that when Halle Berry was listing all the important black actresses that had paved the way for her oscar, she neglected to mention the ones that had actually WON an oscar. I thought this was especially funny since one of the oscar winners was hosting the damn ceremony!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:18 PM   #13
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I thought she was the first black woman to win an oscar? Or maybe it was the first to win best actress?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:47 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

BBL- I think you may be right. All on a night where Sidney Poitier won a lifetime achievement Oscar...although I must agree he deserves it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:37 PM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

she was the first to win best actress in leading role
Old 03-26-2002, 05:31 AM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

So rod do you think they should have given the awards to white guys huh???????? What's wrong with two black awards?

From an NBA fan hmmmm
Old 03-26-2002, 08:57 AM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I don't know who saw Monster's Ball, but I did. It was great, and I thought Halle Berry was fantastic in it. A very tough movie to watch. So as far as appeasement goes, I don't think so. She deserved it. I can't speak for Denzel in Training Day, I never saw it.

I don't see what the big deal about an actor/actress/director making a spectacle of themself in an oscar acceptance speach. That is hardley news. Here are a couple of the strange moments off the top of my head:

James Cameron, Titanic: I am King of the World
Gwenith Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love: Blubbering Speech
Cuba Gooding Jr: Nutty acceptance speech
Orson Welles: Sending a Native AMerican to claim his award
Roberto Begnini: Jumping on his seats when getting his award.

IMO, it just isn't a big deal. It happens all the time.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:22 AM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, i don't mind the fact that berry cried. she won the award and was obviously very happy. she can blubber up there all she wants.

i just think a kind of subtle race issue was turned into a full-blown race issue. i think she should be recognized as an outstanding actress. the fact that she is black should not have come into play at all.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:47 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

she was really good in monster's ball..although she went way overboard in her oscar acceptane speech.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #20
Hales233
Golden Member

give me a break rod...are you saying denzell isn't one of the best actors out there? he brings it in every film he does...
Old 03-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

denzel certainly brings it in every performance, but i did not think his performance in training day deserved an oscar. and let me say that i am a big denzel fan. glory was great. one of my alltime favorites. i just don't think that training day was oscar-worthy. now i hadn't seen a lot of the other movies/actors that were nominated, but i did see training day, and like i stated earlier, it never even crossed my mind that it would get a nomination for anything. good movie? yes. oscar worthy? no.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:09 PM   #22
Hales233
Golden Member

yeah but he's been in other films (philadelphia and john q come to mind) which are oscar-worthy...oh, hurricane, too.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:37 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

seriously, hales, that's what i said. and i don't think rod ever called his acting credentials into question. he's had a number of great performances. he definitely deserves an oscar. however, does he deserve an oscar for training day? i don't think so.

that's what i've been saying. i don't think there's anyone that would argue against you when you say he's a great actor. i think he's a wonderful actor. i go to denzel movies and always anticipate his &quot;denzel speech&quot; (you know, the one time in all his movies where he speaks for about 5 minutes and holds the audience captive. he's one of the best at this).

i just don't think he deserved an oscar for his performance in training day. i don't think it even deserved a nomination.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:09 PM   #24
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

They should have given it to Russel Crowe for A Beautiful Mind and announced the new Make-Up Oscar categpry and given 2 to Denzel for Philadelphia and Malcolm X
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:01 PM   #25
Rod1975
Golden Member

I mean c'mon who thought Denzel's performance as a corrupt cop (which has been done over and over again) was better than Russell Crowe's performance of a schizophrenic genius (which has'nt been done over and over again)? Which role is harder to do?

And for crying out loud, how does a film win best supporting actress,best directing, and best picture, but not win best actor?

All I'm saying is that the voting was obviously not based on performance in that category.

I did'nt see Halle Berry's performance, so I can't say anything about that category, but if it has any parity to the best actor voting, it was'nt based on performance either. Which is fine by me, because the next time a black woman wins, it will be because of her performance and people won't be saying &quot;it's about time&quot; anymore....
Old 03-26-2002, 04:05 PM   #26
Rod1975
Golden Member

Oh, and IMO this award was a make-up award for Hurricane because he was way better in that than he was in Training Day.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #27
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Denzel is an awesome actor, but the Beautiful Mindw as better overall, because of other people than crowe (who has pretty damn good in it though) Would you have preferred if a white guy won????? And you're calling the voters racist??

Old 03-26-2002, 11:36 PM   #28
Rod1975
Golden Member

I would prefer the better performance to win regardless of race...

However I do think the voters were practicing a little racism, but not the negative kind...I mean let's face it the advances in civil rights have come about because of a little positive racism (there is such a thing).

Eventually it won't be considered ground breaking when a person of color wins, and I think that is a good thing...It will promote objective voting in the future.....
Old 03-27-2002, 02:02 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

i agree...i love denzel...he's amazing. but training day? c'mon.
philadelphia? hell yes. the boxing movie? maybe..training day? no
Old 03-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Denzel wasn't that good in training day. By far not his best effort. Russell Crowe got hosed.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:46 PM   #31
Hales233
Golden Member

hosed is your word of the night Doc [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2002, 09:02 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I think I just got hosed by Hales. LOL!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:59 PM   #33
Hales233
Golden Member

LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]