Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #361
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I didn't see this anywhere and I thought it was interesting

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/03/...k-touchyfeely/
Wow, excellent find... Thanks for posting!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #362
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading about the touchiness during the 2011 run. It was suggested that the Mavs' propensity to touch each other was an indication of their great chemistry.

A quick search turned up this article - Dallas's Secret Weapon: High Fives

EDIT: After a re-read, apparently Tyson was the most frequent instigator. Glad our Chief High Fiver is back. May the chemistry this year be glorious.

Last edited by iella; 09-21-2014 at 11:18 AM.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #363
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty good read about Monta:

http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazi...erview-dallas/
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #364
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Neat.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #365
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Very nice. Good for Monta.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #366
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Jefferson seems like a pretty cool dude. I think he'll mesh quite well with the guys.

http://www.mavs.com/sharpshooter-ric...n=bobby_093014
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #367
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite RJ highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9_DhyBB6U
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #368
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Parsons Podcast

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/10/...ons-interview/
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #369
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
There are also the nba top 50
Ellis is nr. 48 and if you scroll down you find parsons at nr. 50

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/slamon...onta-ellis-48/
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #370
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki is not his normally pessimistic self these days
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...these-days.ece

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t always see the glass as half-empty.
Sometimes, he sees it as completely empty. OK, maybe he’s not that much of a pessimist. Let’s just say he is cautious with his optimism when analyzing any situation.
That means his attitude going into the Mavericks’ new season is proof that an old Dirk can learn new tricks. Or at least allow some good old-fashioned positive vibes to flow through his veins.
With the infusion of new players led by Tyson Chandler, Chandler Parsons and Jameer Nelson, Nowitzki seems genuinely upbeat about his 17th season.
“We got all the talent in the world,” the future Hall of Famer said. “We just got to make it work. The chemistry has got to be there. The top teams in the league are loaded and stacked. We have to work hard during the season and get the highest seed possible, and we’ll go from there.”

For Nowitzki to say the Mavericks have all the talent in the world is either a testament to the job management did this summer or a commentary on years past, when they clearly did not have anything close to all the talent in the world.
Nowitzki arrived for the first day of training camp Tuesday feeling invigorated and healthy. His right knee that required surgery two Octobers ago is pain-free, and he is coming off a 2013-14 season that showed him that he’s still got plenty of game.
He’s even putting his blossoming movie career in the rear-view to concentrate on the season. The documentary about his career that debuted last month in Germany will be released in the U.S. at some point.
But that’s not Nowitzki’s concern now.
At 36, he’s still got a few things he wants to accomplish on the court. And clearly he believes he has the team around him to do some damage.
“Just winning is all it’s really about when you get old,” he said. “When you’re young, making All-Star Games and stuff like that is fun. But once you get old it’s all about being on a winning team.
“Winning is the only thing that matters, so after the championship [in 2011], we had a couple down years. So yeah, we got a good group again this year. We should fit together pretty well. Just going for it and have some fun and win.”
Perhaps most importantly, Nowitzki said he doesn’t feel old. At least not all the time.
“It’s year 17,” he said. “But I still feel good. I had the knee thing a couple years ago where I was struggling, and I didn’t think it was going to get good again. But then last year showed me I can still play at a high level and compete, and it was fun again. We’ll look for more of the same this year. I signed on for three more years. Obviously, I’m looking to complete that contract in three years and then re-evaluate and see how the body is holding up. I’m looking forward to having three good years.”
The return of Chandler, who was the defensive anchor of the 2011 championship team, has everybody’s pulse racing around American Airlines Center. But Chandler said he knows he’s not the head of this snake.
“Absolutely, it’s still his team,” Chandler said of Nowitzki. “Until he hangs his jersey up as a Maverick, it’ll always be his team. I’m here to try to help him, try to make things easier on him, just like I did the first time around.”
Last season, Nowitzki was able to pare his playing time down slightly. He averaged 32.9 minutes per game in 80 games. This season, coach Rick Carlisle will try to shave another precious minute or two off Nowitzki’s workload.
Having an abundance of talent — warriors who will fight, as the saying goes — should help in that endeavor.
“I feel like we got better again,” Nowitzki said. “I think every summer, that should be the franchise’s goal. You never want to stay the same or take a step back, especially in my situation as you get older.
“You want to get better and want to compete like we did in 2011. But we all know how tough the West is. It’s going to be tough to break into the top four. The teams up there are loaded. Staying injury-free, that’s a big part. We’ll see where we end up after 82.”
That tempered enthusiasm is a little more like the glass-half-empty Nowitzki we’ve come to know.
On Twitter: @ESefko

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #371
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Tyson cures all ills.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #372
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

So Harris and Ellis are both 6-3...i guess im blind...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #373
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/10/...rival-outlook/
Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #374
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Damn, that is a great article.

Its very interesting to see how the various writers take the quotes from media day and weave them into a better story, based on other reporting they have done. This is the best job of that I have seen this off-season.

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #375
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ho...ence-playoffs/

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #376
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
fantastic and fun read.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #377
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Damn, that is a great article.

Its very interesting to see how the various writers take the quotes from media day and weave them into a better story, based on other reporting they have done. This is the best job of that I have seen this off-season.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #378
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Jameer Nelson: 'I just have to be aggressive'
by: Tim MacMahon
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/

DALLAS – Just be Jameer Nelson.

That’s the job description for the new Dallas Mavericks starting point guard in the simplest terms.

The Mavs signed Nelson because they wanted a smart, tough floor leader who could provide some penetration, knock down open shots and get the ball where it needed to go. That’s what Nelson did throughout his 10-year tenure with the Orlando Magic.

But Nelson is in the beginning stages of a major transition. He’s learning the Mavs’ schemes on the fly – and they’ve still installed only about half of their offensive sets – and getting accustomed to operating an offense that features a pair of wings who thrive as pick-and-roll initiators and the sweetest-shooting power forward in NBA history.

“Most importantly, I just have to be aggressive in whatever I do,” said Nelson, who has career averages of 12.6 points and 5.4 assists per game. “I’m going to make mistakes. I’m going to mess some things up, but just staying aggressive will help myself and the team.

“The system is new. Things are different. Learning on the fly is a little tough, but I’m smart enough, picking it up pretty fast and learning guys’ sweet spots on the floor, learning when I need to shoot more. All that stuff will come.”

Coach Rick Carlisle, who raves about Nelson’s intangibles, knows that Nelson is feeling his way in a new system with all new teammates. The feeling-out process is about becoming familiar with when and where teammates want the ball and Nelson can get his scoring opportunities in the Mavs’ movement-intensive offense.

“Get comfortable and give us the right balance of penetration, scoring off pick-and-rolls, scoring off spot-ups and he’s got to give us tough defense,” Carlisle said. “He’s very capable of all those things.”

Breaking in a new starting point guard is becoming old hat for the Mavs. Nelson will be the fourth point guard to start opening night for the Mavs in four years, following the footsteps of Jason Kidd, Darren Collison and Jose Calderon. And who could forget the starting stints for Derek Fisher and Mike James during the 2012-13 campaign? Oh, right, you’d rather forget.

The Mavs very well could be in the market for a premier point guard again next summer, when Rajon Rondo and Goran Dragic should be available in free agency. But Nelson, who has a player option for next season on the two-year, cap-room-exception deal he signed this summer, should be a fine fit to lead a committee that also features veterans Devin Harris and Raymond Felton.

Nelson provides at least reasonable facsimiles of some of the best attributes of the Mavs’ last few opening-night point guards. He’s not among the precious few in NBA history who are on Kidd’s level as a leader, but muscular, 6-foot Nelson provides toughness, a take-charge personality and would score high on any basketball IQ tests. He’s not as quick as Collison, but Nelson has a knack for getting in the lane and finishing or finding a teammate for an easy bucket. Nelson isn’t as accurate a long-range marksman as Calderon, but he has shot better than 40 percent from 3-point range four times in his career.

In other words, the squatty, 6-foot Nelson is capable of doing anything the Mavs ask of their point guards.

“He’s been around for a long time now and he always plays with certain poise,” Dirk Nowitzki said. “He’s a great shooter, so you can never leave him open. And if he gets in there he’s a good passer – I love his penetrations.

“So with the lineup we’ve got out there, he should get his fair share of pick-and-rolls, he should get his fair share of open shots. And if he’s open, I’ll take a shot up any time.”

In summary, here’s what the Mavs need from Nelson: Be aggressive. Be smart. Be tough. Be yourself.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #379
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01_ykXJ3mc

Awesome!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #380
dude1394
Guru

I love the way the dirkster always gets completely into it, no matter how silly it makes him look.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #381
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I love the way the dirkster always gets completely into it, no matter how silly it makes him look.
Part of that package of being humble and down-to-earth. He doesn't have an ego or persona to defend. He just plays hard and has fun with everything. I'm sure his relationship with Rick and Mark didn't hurt either.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #382
BGMaverick9
Guru

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/11/...dmc-backstory/
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #383
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Quote:
No quote board for the Pels game?
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #384
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
No quote board for the Pels game?
No
Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #385
BGMaverick9
Guru

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/11/...rs-confidence/

Column of Chandler Parsons' mental fortitude.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #386
dude1394
Guru

Nice description of the Mavs offense. A squadron of F-15 Strike Eagles!! I like it!! Some good analysis in chere!.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...tech-firepower
"
The Dallas Mavericks are a squadron of F-15 Strike Eagles. They are versatile. They are fast, they are durable, and man, alive, do they carry some firepower. After an opening night loss to the defending champs in San Antonio, Dallas has rattled off three straight. Despite losing a game, they're fourth in point differential.
Early on in the season, the numbers don't mean much and the eye test is even shakier than usual. But when the two converge, you start to get a sense for where things are going. And where things are going is the Mavericks may be the best offense in the league, in a league with some killer offensive teams. Lets' start with where the Mavericks rank in various statistical categories. Via NBA.com:"
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #387
BGMaverick9
Guru

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/11/...-not-november/
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #388
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can clearly see Ellis not forcing jump shots. In fact, he really looks like he doesn't even care to take them most of the time...more often trying to get his teammates involved.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #389
drk3351

drk3351 is on a distinguished road

Hey Mavs fans, I made a breakdown video of their offense and why it is so good and successful. Let me know what you think of the Mavs offense and thanks for watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQBzwsoymEE
drk3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #390
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk3351 View Post
Hey Mavs fans, I made a breakdown video of their offense and why it is so good and successful. Let me know what you think of the Mavs offense and thanks for watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQBzwsoymEE
wow, what an epic first post. greatly appreciated.

keep it coming...
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #391
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...espnapi_public

Quote:
Raymond Felton '92 percent' after live practice action (...)
Once Felton is declared healthy enough to play, which should happen over the next week, he must start serving a four-game suspension that stemmed from his guilty plea to gun charges in New York last season.
I'm not sure if this is the right topic for that, but it says "random articles" and I guess this is as random as it gets. My question is: Why dont the Mavs just say hes healthy (hes practicing afterall) and let him sit out the suspension? Why didnt they just do it 1-2 games ago if it looks like he will be ready to play next week? I really doubt the NBA is actually checking how healthy he is, and since hes back in practice anyway, how exactly could they say "no, hes not healthy enough to sit out his suspension"? Just doesnt make sense to let him practice but not put him as available player.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #392
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilease View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right topic for that, but it says "random articles" and I guess this is as random as it gets. My question is: Why dont the Mavs just say hes healthy (hes practicing afterall) and let him sit out the suspension? Why didnt they just do it 1-2 games ago if it looks like he will be ready to play next week? I really doubt the NBA is actually checking how healthy he is, and since hes back in practice anyway, how exactly could they say "no, hes not healthy enough to sit out his suspension"? Just doesnt make sense to let him practice but not put him as available player.
Excellent use of the random article thread.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #393
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My question is: Why dont the Mavs just say hes healthy (hes practicing afterall) and let him sit out the suspension? Why didnt they just do it 1-2 games ago if it looks like he will be ready to play next week? I really doubt the NBA is actually checking how healthy he is, and since hes back in practice anyway, how exactly could they say "no, hes not healthy enough to sit out his suspension"? Just doesnt make sense to let him practice but not put him as available player.
Good question... Maybe the NBA actually does check player health? Or maybe the Mavs are in no hurry to throw another player into our 10-man rotation?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-14-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #394
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Why do you not think the NBA would be checking? Do you think they're ok with teams circumventing NBA mandated suspensions?

What happens if they pull the trigger early and then he's not healthy and ready to play when the suspension ends?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #395
dude1394
Guru

I expect they check in this type of case. Maybe not always, but if there is a chance to cheat they might.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #396
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Why do you not think the NBA would be checking? Do you think they're ok with teams circumventing NBA mandated suspensions?

What happens if they pull the trigger early and then he's not healthy and ready to play when the suspension ends?
I dont really doubt that they would check if he's okay, but since he's back in practice he seems to be alright. And even if only fit enough to play 2 minutes a game, that's 2 minutes he could play. And by the time the suspension would be over he'd be ready to play more, if not just send him on the court for a minute and say other players took the available playing time. There is nothing the NBA could really do about it, its not like there is a rule "a player must play at least 30 minutes after his suspension". Healthy enough to play 1 minute = let him sit out the suspension already. That's what I mean, they shouldnt say he's ready although he couldnt play. But since he's back in practice, there really is no point in letting him sit out with his old injury.

And the reason why a soon return would probably be good is because our starting point guard is having career low numbers in almost all categories.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #397
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I do wonder what the standard is. Unabridged participation in a full contact practice?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #398
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I do wonder what the standard is. Unabridged participation in a full contact practice?
Whatever it is, smart teams are not going to push the issue to get Raymond Felton back.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #399
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whatever it is, smart teams are not going to push the issue to get Raymond Felton back.
True that.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #400
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Speaking of which, when is our first opportunity to trade him? December?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote