Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default Official: Gerald Wallace signs with. . .

Source: Wallace, Bobcats agree to deal
DAVID SCOTT
dscott@charlotteobserver.com
The Charlotte Bobcats and free-agent forward Gerald Wallace have agreed to a contract, the Observer has learned.

A source close to the negotiations said Wallace will sign a six-year deal worth $57 million. The sixth year of the contract will be Wallace's option. He also can earn bonuses worth as much as $2 million each season.

Wallace's contract with the Bobcats, who obtained him in the NBA's expansion draft in 2003, expired at the end of last season, and he briefly became a free agent.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Well then looks like the Mavs roster won't be changing much.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Willstar

Willstar is on a distinguished road

too bad.

Willstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Do people understand he couldn't have signed with us? We can only get him through trades.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Willstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Do people understand he couldn't have signed with us? We can only get him through trades.
can you tell me why we couldnt sign him since he was a free agent?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Apparently, the Mavs offered him their MLE... so you are wrong.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

If we get Wallace it has to be a trade. Sign N Trade. "if".
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Willstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
exACTLY

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Best we could have offered is the MLE which, with max raises, is about 5 years, $31MM. Can't blame a guy for taking nearly double the next best offer.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I can't blame him for taking it, but it's still unfortunate.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently we either didn't want to pay him 60 million (and pay it twice since we are in luxury tax) or we couldnt work out a deal with Charlotte.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
Offering Wallace the MLE is not a legitimate offer, Im sure lots of teams offered the MLE. Im with alby, nothing was going to happen unless it was SnT

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-11-2007 at 07:41 PM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan
Offering Wallace the MLE is not a legitimate offer, Im sure lots of teams offered the MLE. Im with alby, nothing was going to happen unless it was SnT
Don't you see? It's Cuban's fault that Wallace signed with Charlotte. Cuban's fault also because had we resigned Nash Wallace would have come here.

This obviously proves that Cuban is a cheap S.O.B.

He couldn't get Wallace to accept half the money. What a cheapo punk. I bet Nellie could have.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

No one is saying Cuban didn't offer him the MLE. But the only legitimate way Wallace could become a Maverick is through a trade? I thought we all knew this?

Contact Me
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
Willstar

Quote:
No one is saying Cuban didn't offer him the MLE. But the only legitimate way Wallace could become a Maverick is through a trade? I thought we all knew this?
i missunderstood some other thread then sorry

Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Darth Ape
Banned

yeah... "couldn't have signed here" means something entirely different. There was no way Wallace was taking the Mavs MLE, although I think Avery's whole "we have a starting spot open" might have been aimed at Wallace... maybe they thought there was an outside chance Wallace would turn down money for a starting spot on a contender.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #18
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

come on chris webber
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs were never in the Gerald Wallace race in the first place.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #20
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I still want him. Sign and Trade please.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #21
alby
Guru

Ty, we all want him.

Contact Me
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 AM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

What are the CBA rules on this? Don't they have 2-3 days to trade him before a moratorium? I dont think its happening but I was just wondering if it is possible.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-12-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #23
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh, let's be realistic...We will be the same team this year.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 AM   #24
alby
Guru

*say hello to another wasted season then

another 60 wins without an NBA title...

Contact Me
Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 AM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

*sigh* its horrible being one of the winningest teams in the last decade.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 AM   #26
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

dont give up yet..the summer is still young and i expect a move involving terry to happen, with harris essentially named the starting pg and barea finally starting to come into his own. lets just hope we can get full value for jet
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #27
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

crap

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #28
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
What are the CBA rules on this? Don't they have 2-3 days to trade him before a moratorium? I dont think its happening but I was just wondering if it is possible.
No. The moratorium starts as soon as he signs the contract. December 15th would be the earliest the Bobcats could trade him.

That 2 day period you're thinking of comes into play when doing a sign and trade agreement. When signing a contract for sign and trade purposes then there's a provision that the team has 2 days to complete the trade portion of the agreement, but if they don't complete the trade the contract becomes voided.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Sigh, let's be realistic...We will be the same team this year.

Finally, you people are coming around to reality.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #30
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Don't you see? It's Cuban's fault that Wallace signed with Charlotte. Cuban's fault also because had we resigned Nash Wallace would have come here.

He couldn't get Wallace to accept half the money. What a cheapo punk. I bet Nellie could have.
chum, is that you? How did you get u2's login info?
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The Mavs were never in the Gerald Wallace race in the first place.
I think we technically were in this race but just got lapped a couple of times and never had a chance of actually winning it.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #32
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo

My point wasn't that Cuban was cheap. My point was that if our only offer was the MLE then there was no way of us landing Wallace when half a dozen other teams would have offered the same.

Nobody could have convinced Wallace to take half the money which is why an MLE offer was not a legitimate offer.

The only way we would have been able to acquire Wallace with him getting paid correctly (more than MLE) would be via SnT.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #33
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Wallace agrees to terms

ESPN radio reporting Wallace agreed to terms on a 6 year 58 million dollar contract with the Bobcats. Please refer to "what my gut tells me about this offseason thread"
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #34
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30714 (which, by the way, is in the correct forum)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #35
alby
Guru

Now that I think about it, I would love to play for the Bobcats if I were Jason Richardson.

Felton
J-Rich
Wallace
Okafor
Brezec

Morrison
Carroll
May

On paper, that is a pretty good team--especially in the Leastern Conference. Poor Morrison, no longer a starter lol

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-12-2007 at 11:26 AM.