Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Kidd deserves mad props for this. They all bought in. Bringing in Reggie was huge too. He and Dodo are a tough ass wing combo.
If Green continues to improve that could become one hell of a trio.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
If Green continues to improve that could become one hell of a trio.
Yes indeed! Even more reason to move THJ. Green deserves minutes. Green is already pretty adept at guarding 1-4, like Doe. Bullock doesn’t quite have the quicks and swivel-y hips they do so he’s much more suited for checking 2s and 3s. But they all can mix and match on any possession.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:55 AM   #3
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Yes indeed! Even more reason to move THJ. Green deserves minutes. Green is already pretty adept at guarding 1-4, like Doe. Bullock doesn’t quite have the quicks and swivel-y hips they do so he’s much more suited for checking 2s and 3s. But they all can mix and match on any possession.
The addition of Dinwiddie, Brunson taking his game to the next level, and Green's development make THJ very expendable.

I'm still holding my breath on re-signing Brunson though.
Even though him and Luka are buddies, his recent play and potential contract situation make me wonder if he'll want to go elsewhere (NY, Detroit, Indy, etc..) to become the main team leader, and not re-sign here to continually play 2nd fiddle to Luka.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The addition of Dinwiddie, Brunson taking his game to the next level, and Green's development make THJ very expendable.

I'm still holding my breath on re-signing Brunson though.
Even though him and Luka are buddies, his recent play and potential contract situation make me wonder if he'll want to go elsewhere (NY, Detroit, Indy, etc..) to become the main team leader, and not re-sign here to continually play 2nd fiddle to Luka.
If Brunson leaves, it'll be because of money, not because his ego won't let him play 2nd fiddle to one of the top 5 players in the league.

I'll just come right out and say that I think Brunson is playing WAY over his head right now. He's playing like a superstar against a piss poor perimeter defense that has zero answer for him. Basically he's 2003 Nick Van Exel against the Kings.

But he is a just quality starting guard. I don't expect him to ever be an all-star. And considering his path to this point in his career- drafted in the 2nd round, just been a role player until his mini-breakout this year- I don't think he all of a sudden is going to chafe at being 2nd fiddle to a megastar like Luka- whom as you mentioned, he seems to be buddies with.

All that being said, the Mavs absolutely, 100% need to do everything they can to keep Brunson. Even though you'll probably have to overpay, the worst thing you can do is let him walk and get nothing back. You can always move a bad contract if you need to, but losing one of your best players for nothing? History has shown us that that is ALWAYS a terrible move.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If Brunson leaves, it'll be because of money, not because his ego won't let him play 2nd fiddle to one of the top 5 players in the league.

I'll just come right out and say that I think Brunson is playing WAY over his head right now. He's playing like a superstar against a piss poor perimeter defense that has zero answer for him. Basically he's 2003 Nick Van Exel against the Kings.

But he is a just quality starting guard. I don't expect him to ever be an all-star. And considering his path to this point in his career- drafted in the 2nd round, just been a role player until his mini-breakout this year- I don't think he all of a sudden is going to chafe at being 2nd fiddle to a megastar like Luka- whom as you mentioned, he seems to be buddies with.

All that being said, the Mavs absolutely, 100% need to do everything they can to keep Brunson. Even though you'll probably have to overpay, the worst thing you can do is let him walk and get nothing back. You can always move a bad contract if you need to, but losing one of your best players for nothing? History has shown us that that is ALWAYS a terrible move.
This is the best post on the board!!!!!!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:13 AM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I enjoy a hot take. I agree with most of what you're saying...except JB playing way over his head. It IS against a lackluster perimeter team, but there's a beast waiting in the paint. The best shot blocker in the game that he's had to navigate. He may fall back to earth a bit at some point in the playoffs, but the ground isn't very far. He's been trending up and the real test that we were all eager to see was always the playoffs. He's passed with flying colors and picked up his level of play even more so when we needed him most. Stepping in for Luka is a massive ask...and he's carried the team in crucial moments.

We definitely can't let him slip away. The only way he leaves because of money is if some team see him as a super-star and will go beyond 25m. I could be qrong but I think 25m is the new bar that the Mavs are willing to chase him to.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I enjoy a hot take. I agree with most of what you're saying...except JB playing way over his head. It IS against a lackluster perimeter team, but there's a beast waiting in the paint. The best shot blocker in the game that he's had to navigate. He may fall back to earth a bit at some point in the playoffs, but the ground isn't very far. He's been trending up and the real test that we were all eager to see was always the playoffs. He's passed with flying colors and picked up his level of play even more so when we needed him most. Stepping in for Luka is a massive ask...and he's carried the team in crucial moments.

We definitely can't let him slip away. The only way he leaves because of money is if some team see him as a super-star and will go beyond 25m. I could be qrong but I think 25m is the new bar that the Mavs are willing to chase him to.
His asking price will be high no doubt but I still think there is the factor of playing in Luka's shadows. The fact he is capable of playing at an all-star level without Luka in crucial games makes it even more concerning to me that he could sign elsewhere.

Brunson is certainly on the fringes of being an all-star and his chances will be even greater playing on a Lukaless team as a primary leader...especially somewhere like NY.

Again, I don't think merely matching an offer will necessarily cut it. I think we'll have to beat any offer.
NY seems to have had an interest in Brunson for a while now and I can see them making a premium offer, one that I'm not sure Cuban will attempt to beat.
This could become another Nash situation.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-24-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His asking price will be high no doubt but I still think there is the factor of playing in Luka's shadows. The fact he is capable of playing at an all-star level without Luka in crucial games makes it even more concerning to me that he could sign elsewhere.

Brunson is certainly on the fringes of being an all-star and his chances will be even greater playing on a Lukaless team as a primary leader...especially somewhere like NY.

Again, I don't think merely matching an offer will necessarily cut it. I think we'll have to beat any offer.
NY seems to have had an interest in Brunson for a while now and I can see them making a premium offer, one that I'm not sure Cuban will attempt to beat.
This could become another Nash situation.
He holds the cards ultimately. If he wants to go to NY he can, though thst franchise is a nightmare.That would likely be a big mistake.

You could also say that Cuban obviouslyknows letting Nash peace out was a lesson learned.

I'm thinking 20m was the magic number f he never played a playoff game this season. Now it's more like 25m.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Agree, I don’t necessarily think Brunson will ever be an all-star, but timing is everything and he is showcasing himself well at the right time to boost interest from several teams. You’re right, money will be a factor but I can’t help but think ego will play a big part as well because in his mind I’m sure he thinks he is capable of being an all-star.

Having an opportunity to be the primary floor general would certainly be motivation for a 24 yo PG who performed at that level in critical games during Luka’s absences. I don’t think he stays just to play with Luka.

In other words, I don’t think simply matching an offer will cut it. I’m afraid we’ll have to over, overpay to keep him. I could be wrong but we’ll see.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:28 AM   #10
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The Jalen Brunson takes are embarrassing right now.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote