Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default The Albert Haynesworth Punishment Thread

I've seen hitting, spitting, poking, kicking, kneeing, butting... But I've never ever seen anything as malicious as the Haynesworth head stomp. Just criminal, and that's the bottom line.

Anything less than 5 games and $500,000 punishment will be outright negligent. And how about the notion of police intervention in lieu of what can only be described as an assault with cleats.

Time for the new commish to step up and establish what is what. Suspend that immediately.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-01-2006 at 08:54 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Definetly deserves a long suspension and a hefty fine, he can't get away with something like that.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

there needs to be consideration for criminal charges. Does anyone remember that hockey player who whacked someone's head? I'm pretty sure he was charged with a crime.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

when i first saw that i thought, "wow this guy is relly a piece of"

I hope he has to sit some games and sends a big fat check to Roger Godell.

- Conrad Burns

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-01-2006 at 08:55 PM.
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

My poor wife had to watch that like 10 times as I rewinded over and over while saying curse words under my breath. I will tell you the same thing I told her... He should be suspended for the WHOLE $##%$$#%$# YEAR!!! I hope that from his fines and missed games that he plays this year for free... What a bastard!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

From ESPN.com

Updated: Oct. 1, 2006, 6:39 PM ET
Haynesworth tossed for stomping on Gurode's face

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was ejected early in the third quarter of the Titans game against the Cowboys after he stomped on Dallas center Andre Gurode's face.

According the EPSN's Ed Werder, Gurode took nearly two dozen stitches to close seven separate facial cuts, but his eyes were not injured. Titans coach Jeff Fisher apologized to the Cowboys' Bill Parcells after the game on behalf of the Tennessee organization and vowed to punish Haynesworth if the league doesn't do so appropriately.

Julius Jones had just scored on a 5-yard touchdown run, putting Dallas ahead 20-6. Gurode's helmet came off, and Haynesworth, standing over him, used his right foot and stomped Gurode's head.

AP Photo/ John Russell
"I let my team down," the Titans' Albert Haynesworth said of his stomp on Cowboys center Andre Gurode's face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2609563
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
My poor wife had to watch that like 10 times as I rewinded over and over while saying curse words under my breath. I will tell you the same thing I told her... He should be suspended for the WHOLE $##%$$#%$# YEAR!!! I hope that from his fines and missed games that he plays this year for free... What a bastard!
i AGREE. i dont think he will get quite that much but fisher may be the one coach in the nfl who truly would give him a serious penalty even if the nfl doesnt.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the game with my old man and his feeling was the Haynesworth should be suspended for the rest of the season. He said that a lot of people would be surprised at how nasty it gets in the trenches but you never take it to that level.

I'm just glad that Gurode's eyes are ok. If the cleats make contact a couple of inches lower, that could have ended his career.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I was watching the game with my old man and his feeling was the Haynesworth should be suspended for the rest of the season. He said that a lot of people would be surprised at how nasty it gets in the trenches but you never take it to that level.

I'm just glad that Gurode's eyes are ok. If the cleats make contact a couple of inches lower, that could have ended his career.
I was watching it with a friend and her dad. He said the same thing. Then again, your dad saying it carries a great deal more weight.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'll be surprised if he's out more than 3. NFLPA.

Hope Gurode sues Haynesworth.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 10-01-2006 at 06:14 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I don't know if the league has to power to suspend him for the season. It they tried, it would surely go to arbitration.

As I recall from the TO situation, the Eagles could only suspend him for 2 games without pay...or was it 4?

Last edited by dirno2000; 10-01-2006 at 06:24 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Fisher is a great coach, and if the league doesn't do enough, he'll take it into his own hands. I think it was a nice gesture by him to apologize to Parcells on behalf of the organization.

2 dozens stitches, and a chance of ending a guys career had it been a little lower and all Haynesworth says iis "I let my team down today"? Wow....

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Yea, I don't know if the league has to power to suspend him for the season. It they tried, it would surely go to arbitration.
I do know that i wouldnt want to be him next time they play the cowboys when they play a team andre gurode is on again. I would be chop blocking the hell out of him if i was gurode next time i saw him.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

It was really impressive on how the other Cowboys handled themselves when they looked down and saw Gurode on the ground in obvious pain. I imagine it was tough to not smash in Haynesworth's face at that particular moment, especially if they saw what he did with their own eyes.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

My punishment would be four games. It was ugly, but hey, these guys play a violent game. Let's not turn into Girl Scouts here.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with chum.. I'm thinking 4 games. But yeah, I can't remember seeing anything quite that overtly malicious, like most of you. Wouldn't bother me one bit if he was suspended for the remainder of the season.

In the words of Billy Madison, "That's assault, brotha!"
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
My punishment would be four games. It was ugly, but hey, these guys play a violent game. Let's not turn into Girl Scouts here.
Correction, they get payed a shtton of cash to play a rough contact sport. This isnt the World Wrestling Federation. If the NFL cant issue suitable punishment in order to protect many of America's millionares, I cant see why anyone would want to play the game any more. If they were to let this incident slide, what motivation would there be for other players not to vent their frustration on the opposing team? What good is making a lot of money if you have to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair because some jackass gets pissed off at your team for scoring a touchdown.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #18
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
What he did wasn't part of the game. Didn't Michael Vick's brother get kicked off his college team for stomping on a guy's leg? Well, Haynesworth stomped on Gurode's face! He could be suspended for 6 or more games imo.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #19
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

As I recall from the TO situation, the Eagles could only suspend him for 2 games without pay...or was it 4?

i believe it's 4 games.

i think haynesworth should be out for the season. if my memory serves me correctly, from the highlights it appears that haynesworth ripped gurode's helmet off first, then came back to stomp on him.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

That’s what made it so heinous. I would feel different about the whole thing if Gurode’s helmet was already off and Haynesworth saw it and stepped on him. I’d probably say a game or two. Instead Haynesworth pulled off the helmet, stepped on him then, when it was clear that Gurode couldn’t defend himself, stepped on him a second time.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a fairly broad sprectrum, don't ya think?

What Haynesworth did had nothing to do with football.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #22
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary

So true. I never even saw something that bad in rugby. I've seen (and played) with/against people who will step on a down man's hand, jump on them cleat-first, kick their stomach - all to lodge a ball out - but to stomp on someone's head?

And after the play? You're not trying to make a play - you're trying to injure someone maliciously. Why not just bring a mallet onto the field?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #23
Carolina Blue

Carolina Blue is on a distinguished road

He should get at least 20 mins in timeout and lose all tv privileges for a week...

Kids today...pshhhh...

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 10-01-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a fairly broad sprectrum, don't ya think?

Between the whistles they do things--and make no mistake, we all pay lots of dollars to watch them do things--that are fiercely violent and in some cases prematurely end careers. Aikman probably could have played a few more years if he didn't have the likes of LaVar Arrington giving him concussions. Roy Williams has, by himself, passed out several injuries far more severe than 30 stitches on the forehead. And you know what? Those plays make year-end highlight films. The NFL packages and sells them.

What Haynesworth did was terribly unsportsmanlike and deserves punishment. A lot of punishment. Maybe as many as six games (though I think that's high). But I do give him a pass on the "nothing to do with football" thing. It happened in the context of the game. In the context of a very physical, sometimes violent game. It's nowhere near excusable, but it's understandable. I'm sure emotions run high.

I doubt Gurode bears him a lot of ill will. I bet he would have liked to have lined up across from him again, if his forehead wasn't gushing blood. If anyone is like boxers, I bet it's linemen.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #25
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"What I did out there was disgusting," Haynesworth said. "It doesn't matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can't describe it."
He's probably going to go home tonight and have himself a "T.O. Special"

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #26
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Roy Williams has, by himself, passed out several injuries far more severe than 30 stitches on the forehead. And you know what? Those plays make year-end highlight films. The NFL packages and sells them.
As far as I know, all Roy Williams-induced injuries have happened in the context of the game, during a play. I expect that most people, including myself, can differentiate between something like a horse-collar tackle and kicking a man's bare head with your cleats.

According to Gurode, this type of thing DOES NOT happen all the time. Here's his quote.

Quote:
In all my years of football, this has never happened to me. I've never been kicked in the face like this, and I've never seen anybody kick nobody else in the face," Gurode said.

Last edited by mary; 10-01-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #27
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

nfl on nbc said 4 games would be adequate

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
As far as I know, all Roy Williams-induced injuries have happened in the context of the game, during a play. I expect that most people, including myself, can differentiate between something like a horse-collar tackle and kicking a man's bare head with your cleats.

According to Gurode, this type of thing DOES NOT happen all the time. Here's his quote.
Well of course it doesn't happen all the time. It's very, very rare! But I don't think the guy is some sort of monster. As you point out, even he himself was terribly embarrassed by his actions after the fact.

I'm just saying that it happened in the heat of battle, so to speak, even if it didn't happen between the whistles. You watch enough football and you see a lot of extracurriculars. Fine him for it, suspend him for it, but don't go overboard and don't call it assault. Context is important.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #29
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
adequate
Your word or theirs?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

Peter King on "Football Night in America" or whatever it's called said a fine of about $25,000 but no suspension.

I highly doubt that. Mo-fo is getting suspended.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Chum... I know you are the old school dude on the block, and you and I have tangoed as a result, but I just have one question for you...

What if those cleats catch the eyes of Gurode? What length of suspsension is valid then if the guy can't lace em up anymore?

Bottom line Chum, Albert could have ended Andre's career. Dude could have been out FOREVER. That should at least make this Fer play for free this year. Make him send week 5-17 game checks back to the league AND pay a fine that eqauls his salary between weeks 1-4.

That was the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN during a game. Someone mentioned a brawl between Indy and someone else, but I don't think I have seen a clip of that. But to reach down and rip a helmet off, stomp once, and then stomp again SMACK DOWN ON HIS FACE IN THE EXACT VICINITY OF A MANS EYES is absolutely ridiculous and should never be considered "in the context" or "understandable". It is absolutely NOT understandable and absolutely NOT within the context of this game.

He was getting his ass handed to him by Gurode and decided to assault another man rather than get even on the field. Call that girl scouts if you will, but again, what if he catches his eyes?

Shouldn't the league impose a fine so great and a suspension so great that we never find the answer to that question???
Old 10-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Well of course it doesn't happen all the time. It's very, very rare! But I don't think the guy is some sort of monster. As you point out, even he himself was terribly embarrassed by his actions after the fact.
Oh I don't think he's some sort of monster either, moron maybe, but not a monster. In fact, I would imagine that a majority of human beings who do something that heinous (especially if its caught on camera for the world to see) most likely feel some level of regret afterwards.

But I don't think that has anything to do with the NFL handing out the appropriate punishment. His punishment should fit the severity of his actions. There are people incarcerated every day who are not "monsters", yet the law dictates that we remove them from society based on their actions - not on the strength of their character, not on their level of regret, and not on the level of stress they were under while commiting their crime.

I think when you take the field as a football player, violent as that sport is, its up to you to be responsible enough not to stomp on someone's bare head while they are lying helpless on the ground. I know it was in the "heat of battles" and all those other cliches, but if that's a situation a professional athlete can not handle without trying to potentionally maim or kill someone, then I seriously question whether that person should be allowed back on the field at all.

If he'd only stepped on him once, there could've been some doubt about his intentions, or whether or not he realized Gurode didn't have his helmet on. If that were the case, I think I'd be more inclined to agree with your "old school" approach to this.

Last edited by mary; 10-02-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Albert actually had a very sincere apology that I heard on Mike and Mike this morning. I believe him when he said he is sorry, but that doesn't change my opinion of his suspension.

I hope he is gone for the year so it teaches everyone else never to do that type of thing again. He seems to know better than to ever do it again, but a spat on the hand won't teach the other guys never to do it.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #34
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

4 games minimum...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #35
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I think the amount of the fine should be the severe part.

These people only seem to care about money these days....
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The NFL does sort of send conflicting messages. They want the violent hits that Chum referred to, because they make for great highlight reel plays and sell lots of tickets. On the other hand, they fine defensive players arbitrarily for striking the quarterback a certain way or being a little late on a hit.

That said, what Haynesworth did deserves suspension. Heck if I know how long, but what he did was cowardly, and I think he knows it.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #37
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

let Haynesworth burn! suspension for 20 years, and 800 million-billion fine. makes sense to me
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Did any of you see the fujita play on steve smith? It was almost as bad. Hes got to be suspended too. Also, did anyone see the hit on reche caldwell? It was an example of something that is viscous but part of the game. I didnt think it should have been a penalty because it was part of the game but the haynesworth play wasnt.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
The NFL does sort of send conflicting messages. They want the violent hits that Chum referred to, because they make for great highlight reel plays and sell lots of tickets. On the other hand, they fine defensive players arbitrarily for striking the quarterback a certain way or being a little late on a hit.

That said, what Haynesworth did deserves suspension. Heck if I know how long, but what he did was cowardly, and I think he knows it.
I agree. They want that big crunch sound to come across the tv, but only if you do it right.

I feel bad for some of them on the late hit penalties sometimes. When they get moving as fast as they do, hitting someone is probably the most attractive way for them to stop themselves. They're so big. thats a lot momentum.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

I still cant believe no one has mentioned the fujita thing, it was extremely close to being as bad. He was trying to end Smiths season and maybe career. I liked fujita but if he isnt suspended for 4 weeks, thats a joke too.

If you have no clue what Im talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgrqETk_JQ

I dont care what troy said, that was clearly intentional.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-02-2006 at 11:31 AM.