Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all
Default Bill O'Reilly wants Mark Cuban Jailed

Bill O'Reilly wants Mark Cuban Jailed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fM34zdXOQUk

--------------------------------------------------------------

More on Bill O on Mark Cuban

Bill O'Reilly Attacks Mark Cuban For 10 Minutes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YiybkZeBSak

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cuban on O'Reilly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHXpNVX2WqY&feature=related

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude can you give us your take on this, as i know you love Mr O'Reilly and is Cuban right, wrong or just some where in between?
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

So what is Janett opinion on the Redacted movie? A fictional account about our troops during war time.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban's wrong on this one, dead wrong. He's promoting propaganda against our forces while they are still in the field. If this were 5 or 10 years after the conflict, fine, but right now, it's propaganda and it's wrong.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #4
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I haven't seen the movie. I am not sure when it is comming on.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

If you have HDNet Movie Channel, it was on a few weeks ago. I saw a the movie for a few minutes and could not bear US portrayed in such a bad way so I switched channels. It will be on in future, I will let you know when it is on, you will hate the movie even if you have Bush though.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Cuban's wrong on this one, dead wrong. He's promoting propaganda against our forces while they are still in the field. If this were 5 or 10 years after the conflict, fine, but right now, it's propaganda and it's wrong.

Everything you read in the media is propaganda - either for it or against it (whatever the subject may be)... There's no such thing as objectivity in our media anymore - it doesn't sell airtime as well as polarizing our beliefs does...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Everything you read in the media is propaganda - either for it or against it (whatever the subject may be)... There's no such thing as objectivity in our media anymore - it doesn't sell airtime as well as polarizing our beliefs does...
Sorry..but you are way out there. Sure there is bias in the media, most of it's not even intentional, but that's not the same as propaganda imo. It would sort of be like what would happen if you told the news.

But this is a "movie". It's a project that cubes electively decided to fund, it's wrong to be doing it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 11-21-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry..but you are way out there. Sure there is bias in the media, most of it's not even intentional, but that's not the same as propaganda imo. It would sort of be like what would happen if you told the news.

But this is a "movie". It's a project that cubes electively decided to fund, it's wrong to be doing it.

Well, Bill O'Reilly wanting to put Mark Cuban in jail for making a movie (propaganda or not) sounds like a bit of propaganda in itself... What ever happened to free speech? If you don't like what Cuban is saying, then speak out against him - don't imprison him (that's how Fidel Castro, Adolph Hitler, and Saddam Hussein dealt with their opposition...)

Old 11-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Bill Oreilly is giving his personal opinion. In other words he loathes cuban so much that he would like him put in jail. No problem...I sort of loathe Woody Allen about the same, but wouldn't honestly put him in jail for it.

No one's going to "imprision" cubes.

Now however I did just see the receipts for this movie. I'm hoping that cubes loses a ton o' dough on it and it looks like he did. It will only go down from there.

It placed in 50th place and made 25,628 dollars. That's 25K, not millions. In other words about 3,000 people wasted their dollars to see it. Good, it's junk and hopefully cubes will begin to realize that it's junk.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/cha...wknd=46&p=.htm
Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Bill O'Reilly.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

See there dirkadirkastan probably wants O'Reilly in jail. Whatever happened to free speech??
Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Bill Oreilly is giving his personal opinion. In other words he loathes cuban so much that he would like him put in jail. No problem...I sort of loathe Woody Allen about the same, but wouldn't honestly put him in jail for it.

No one's going to "imprision" cubes.

Now however I did just see the receipts for this movie. I'm hoping that cubes loses a ton o' dough on it and it looks like he did. It will only go down from there.

It placed in 50th place and made 25,628 dollars. That's 25K, not millions. In other words about 3,000 people wasted their dollars to see it. Good, it's junk and hopefully cubes will begin to realize that it's junk.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/cha...wknd=46&p=.htm

I understand that O'Reilly is simply giving his opinion - I'm just pointing out that his opinion should be taken as lightly as Cuban's... No better or worse - they're both spreading radical ideas (the very defenition of propaganda...)

I think the numbers reflect the overall reaction of Cuban's opinion... Justice has a way of presenting itself without the loudmouth bias of talking heads - people are capable of making up their own minds (despite how rarely we actually believe this...)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-21-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

Maybe...but you brought up freedom of speech for some reason??

I don't really car what the heck O'Reilly says, he doesn't own the mavericks. Now is he bankrolling anti-american propaganda.

Cubes is really wrong on this one and should be called out on it, I'm glad he has been. Hopefully that the collossal failure of the movie and the opnions that have been expressed will teach him a lesson.

It's hard to know with cubes, he seems pretty dang hard-headed.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I do find some satisfaction in seeing that this film is helping to do to anti-war films what it was aimed at doing to the US military.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably time for Cuban to think about injecting a sense of perspective into the things he does.

When he implictly said that Kobe (may or may not have) raped that girl in Colorado and it was good for the NBA, because when it comes down to it, it meant money for the NBA, he was probably right. Crass, and rude, and morally reprehensible...but still probably right.

But the stakes do get raised when you start talking about the military and foreign policy.

Everyone respects a guy's right to make a buck. But when you start trying to make that buck at the expense of our respected institutions...well, you better be careful. The people who once respected you may turn against you.

I'd prefer that Cuban keeps to things he knows--which do not include politics. I don't especially like him at the things he knows, because I think he is a cutthroat and disloyal son of a bitch who values a dollar more than a friendship, but I can at least still tolerate him when he keeps to things he knows.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Let Bill'O talk... Cubes ain't going to jail and Bill'O's crazy if he thinks he had anything to do with how the film does. The people who watch his show are niche, it's not even funny...

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

My, my what a success. Also from this report it appears that cubes may have tried to get out of it. He could have distanced for sure. Still very dissappointed.

Quote:
November 25, 2007 -- IT'S hard for Hollywood pacifists like Brian De Palma to capture the hearts and minds of America if

Americans won't see their movies. While the public is staying away in droves from “Rendition," “Lions for Lambs" and “In the Valley of Elah," audiences are really avoiding “Redacted," De Palma's picture about US soldiers who rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl, then kill her and her family. The message movie was produced by NBA Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who insisted on deleting grisly images of Iraqi war casualties from the montage at the film's end. Cuban offered to sell the film back to De Palma at cost, but the director was too smart to go for that deal. “Redacted" - which “could be the worst movie I've ever seen," said critic Michael Medved -took in just $25,628 in its opening weekend in 15 theaters, which means roughly 3,000 people saw it in the entire country. “This, despite an A-list director, a huge wave of publicity, high praise in the Times, The New Yorker, left-leaning sites like Salon, etc. A Joe Strummer documentary [of punk-rock band The Clash] playing in fewer theaters made more in its third week," e-mailed one cineaste. “Not even people who presumably agree with the movie's antiwar thesis made the effort to see it."
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe (hopefully) that will dissuade Cuban from such foolish ventures in the future. One thing Cuban seems to hate is losing money. If he continues to "invest" in this sort of propaganda, we'll know it's really coming from the heart, since it obviously isn't earning him any money.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you put invest in quotes?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See there dirkadirkastan probably wants O'Reilly in jail. Whatever happened to free speech??
Asking people questions then talking over them and cutting their microphones isn't a crime, but it sure can make you one of the worst personalities on television. The man has zero sense of social decency; I don't care what his ideology is.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

I thought Cuban was a republican?
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

This is still a free country. IN the marketplace of ideas, there is free expression--even expression which is repulsive.

Obviously, there are limits. Some films are per se illegal while others are subject to regulation.

To want someone jailed because he produced a repulsive film is itself un-American.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
I thought Cuban was a republican?
I think he's more of a Ron Paul supporter (i.e. libertarian) than republican.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #24
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of interesting that Cuban bought time on Fox News to advertise "Redacted".
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Kind of interesting that Cuban bought time on Fox News to advertise "Redacted".
Yea and then cubes castigated Fox and O'Reilly for taking his money. I think it rhymed with lenore...