Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default What's your take on the SNL spoofs of Palin?

For what it's worth, I am ROFLMAO with these.

They are funny and they are intended to be.

For the record, and you can see from the political board...I am a huge McCain/Palin supporter. Of course I will leave that portion of this thread on the political board...

As for SNL, this is every bit as funny as the old spoofs of Janet Reno!!! The moment the real Janet Reno made her appearance on SNL was priceless...I only hope to see the real Sarah Palin on SNL!!!

I can respect a person who doesn't take themselves too seriously...SNL is comedy and honestly, these skits are pretty funny.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Are they really spoofs if they use her actual words, like the first one did?

I think they kinda stumbled into how well Tina Fey portrays her.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Tina Fey = Funny as hell.
She does the act really well. She is a great comedian. Thursday Night should be interesting with their new "show."

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 10-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah Palin definitely boosted Tina Fey's career (hopefully she can keep diversifying so she doesn't fizzle-out like Dana Carvey did once the Bush/Perot run was over!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-06-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Tina Fey's not even an SNL cast member any more. She's just doing extra work for the political stuff.

Judging by the critical success of Thirty Rock, I don't think she's having any trouble diversifying.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

the opening skit last week was so good- they nailed palin as well as biden. not only are the characters done well, but the writing is really, really good.
saw this today..
-------------------------------------
SNL Rides High on Campaign Satire
By REBECCA DANA

NBC's "Saturday Night Live" drew another crush of viewers this weekend, with approximately 10 million tuning in to watch comedian Tina Fey's latest sendup of GOP vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin.
That rating, based on preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research, is 42% higher than the same show last year and 23% higher than last week's episode.

Comedian Tina Fey's impersonation of vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has helped drive SNL's high ratings this political year.
Interest was fueled by last Thursday night's vice-presidential debate, which drew 69.9 million viewers to become the most-watched VP matchup ever.
The debate, in which Gov. Palin faced off against Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Biden for the first and only time during the campaign, provided considerable fodder for Ms. Fey and her fellow writers.
Ms. Fey dramatized Gov. Palin's folksy expressions, general evasiveness and habit of winking at the camera. They also took aim at Sen. Biden's backhanded compliments of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, his frequent smiling and his hair.
This year, "Saturday Night Live" has catapulted to a level of cultural prominence the show hasn't seen for years, with its most significant presidential election satire ever, beginning with a series of popular skits during the Democratic primary contest that spoofed the tense race between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
Find TV listings at LocateTV.The 33-year-old comedy has opened with a political sketch in every episode this fall, capitalizing on intense general interest in the election and Ms. Fey's imitation of Gov. Palin, to boost ratings around 49% over the same period last year. This weekend's show scored ratings just shy of the 10.2 million viewers who tuned in for the season premiere last month.
The show's clips, including spoofs of Gov. Palin's damaging interviews with "CBS Evening News" anchor Katie Couric, have turned into viral hits online and have even helped frame more serious discussions about Gov. Palin's candidacy. Former "NBC Nightly News" anchor Tom Brokaw aired Saturday night's "SNL" clip Sunday morning on "Meet the Press," NBC's serious political interview show.
Seeking to feed the demand for political comedy, "SNL" has planned three live half-hour prime time political specials this month, the first on Oct. 9.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Tina Fey's not even an SNL cast member any more. She's just doing extra work for the political stuff.

Judging by the critical success of Thirty Rock, I don't think she's having any trouble diversifying.
Shows how much TV I watch! (little-to-none...)

My buddy, Google, also tells me that she's far more accomplished as a producer than an actor - that goes a LOT farther than Dana Carvey's "diversified" Garth Algar...

[you could have at least given me some hotsauce with my crow!]

Last edited by Underdog; 10-06-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

Baby Mama...not so much
30 Rock...yes sir!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

pew pew pew!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

The stuff is pure gold and dead on funny. Haven't seen the political stuff so good in at least a decade.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

It's alright, but i don't care much for the political satire. But, so far, other than that, and update, SNL has sucked balls this season.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Its been funny but I don't watch SNL. I've enjoyed the youtube clips of it though. Its almost as funny as the real Palin. Tina Fey has her down pat though.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Queen Latifah was spot on Saturday night.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

did I hear the commercial correctly... are they moving SNL to Thursday Night Live?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
did I hear the commercial correctly... are they moving SNL to Thursday Night Live?
"Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday is an NBC political satire news show spun-off from Saturday Night Live. The format will revolve around the late-night show's "Weekend Update" segment and will run for two 30-minute episodes in October 2008."

Looks like it's just 2 segments during the elections... Don't worry, they're not going "New Coke" on you!

[um, disregard that last line - you were only 4 when they pulled that product off the market...]

Last edited by Underdog; 10-07-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been a fan of SNL in years. But, I have to admit Tina Fey's impersonation of Palin was incredible and pretty humorous. With that being said, I think everything else on SNL is trash lol.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched a SNL skit since they stopped feeding me all that wonderful cowbell. I can't get enough cowbell. I gotta have that cowbell.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever seen Tina Fey in anything..or on anything.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

anyone that isn't watching 30 Rock should be ashamed of themselves. 50 lashes for all of you!

As for SNL, each show has maybe one or two funny moments over the past few years. But this season is picking up steam, most likely because of the election... but the other sketches have been pretty decent (Mary Poppins spreading supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (a new STD) among the local men? Genius). Anne Hathaway was actually a pretty good host this past week.

As for the political stuff - SNL is famous for being biased toward the left. But this past week's episode did a great job of poking fun at both palin and Biden, as well as hitting both the democrats and republicans in the sketch about the financical crisis.

Some amazing lines in that debate sketch - my favorite had to be "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers"
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Fey's impersonation of Palin is by far one of the best impersonations of all time.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Queen Latifah was spot on Saturday night.
I thought her character was one of the best in the show. Especially when she starting trying to sale her book...that was pure genius.

As for politics, if I can't laugh and the peopel I support, then who can I laugh at.

That being said, there is so much material that can be done on Obama, yet the SNL crew is missing the boat...perhaps this week they can spoof the debate of tonight, no doubt Obama will have his moments to make fun of!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Im waiting for a new MACGRUBER. funniest skit last year.

Tags
fluffy banter