Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #81
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

This one's even worse from Terry O'Neill:
"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

fake tackling = celebration of violence against women
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #82
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
This one's even worse from Terry O'Neill:
"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

fake tackling = celebration of violence against women
Domestic violence? Some people just take themselves way too seriously.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #83
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Domestic violence? Some people just take themselves way too seriously.
This was actually the direction I was initially headed with my first post on the subject yesterday....the extent to which the Terry o'Neill's & NOW's of the world are just completely unhinged. They're disconnected from reality...they're pathologically incapable of viewing women as anything other than victims in need of abortions and men as rapists and they interpret everything they see through this filter.

She says it herself:

Quote:
I myself am a survivor of domestic violence...
It's like she projects her own experiences onto healthy relationships and healthy sentiments.

Last edited by alexamenos; 02-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #84
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

and of course...

Quote:
That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message
They're not pro-choice, they're abortion lovers.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #85
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post

It's like she projects her own experiences onto healthy relationships and healthy sentiments.
Bingo.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #86
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if that commercial got scaled back due to the controversy. I don't know one way or another, but I am curious about that.

If that was the commercial they were planning on running all along, then I think the biggest irony of the whole deal was the fact that no one would have known what the commercial was really advertising if the pro-choice activists hadn't made a big fuss. Because the commercial itself was completely innocuous. By trying to keep the Tebows from getting a platform, they failed to do so and ultimately gave them a megaphone to go along with that platform.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-09-2010 at 08:35 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #87
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
If that was the commercial they were planning on running all along, then I think the biggest irony of the whole deal was the fact that no one would have known what the commercial was really advertising if the pro-choice activists hadn't made a big fuss.
I very seriously doubt that the NOWs ever saw the commercial -- the second they heard "Focus on the Family" and "Tebow" they went into their fit of hysteria.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #88
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

The Wit and Wisdom of Sir Francis Galton
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #89
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Planned Parenthood's Mission Statement:

Quote:
This is precisely the aim of Eugenics. Its first object is to check the birth-rate of the Unfit, instead of allowing them to come into being...Sir Francis Galton
Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #90
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

so here's the thing.

i don't agree with you "conservatives" on whether abortion should be legal or not. never will. no amount of rhetoric on your side will ever convince me that the government should be allowed to decide what a woman does to her own body.

but that aside: the problem I have with you so-called "conservatives" is this notion that you're all about small government, letting the states decide...unless, of course, that isn't aligned with your own personal belief system.

True "conservatism" is all about a small federal government, about letting the states decide everything that's not in the constitution. (Don't get me started on all the reasons why something written 200+ years ago might not be relevant today.) If so, then fine--let the states make their own laws. Then let everyone with a brain move to places that value personal liberties and take care of their neighbors; and everyone with half a brain (or less) can move to Texas.

Other than the Mavs, there ain't a god damn thing I miss about that god forsaken state.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #91
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
so here's the thing.

i don't agree with you "conservatives" on whether abortion should be legal or not. never will. no amount of rhetoric on your side will ever convince me that the government should be allowed to decide what a woman does to her own body.
It's not her own body she's killing.
And the federal government is there to protect the rights to life, liberty, etc. However stale the paper might be that that's written on, and however little the federal government should be doing, it should be doing that.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #92
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Conservatives equate abortion with murder; liberals equate abortion with tattoos and piercings.

More or less.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #93
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so here's the thing.

but that aside: the problem I have with you so-called "conservatives" is this notion that you're all about small government, letting the states decide...unless, of course, that isn't aligned with your own personal belief system.

True "conservatism" is all about a small federal government, about letting the states decide everything that's not in the constitution. (Don't get me started on all the reasons why something written 200+ years ago might not be relevant today.) If so, then fine--let the states make their own laws. Then let everyone with a brain move to places that value personal liberties and take care of their neighbors; and everyone with half a brain (or less) can move to Texas.

Other than the Mavs, there ain't a god damn thing I miss about that god forsaken state.
Whatever. I'm not adamantly opposed to abortion but if you are not able to see some shades of gray in allowing a woman to terminate an 9 month old baby then you are much,much more closed minded than anyone in texas is. I know you'll say "huff,huff, the government doesn't allow women to do this" which completely goes against your assertion that the guvment shouldn't be allowed to enact any laws with respect to a womans body. But I expect you'll casually blow that off because it's not on your political side of the fence.

What is sad is that you somehow don't realize that an onorous guvment (say CA or NY) trods all over peoples personal liberties everyday and will continue and continue to do so, while the folks in smaller government states will continue to have more freedom. Especially freedom from folks like yourself trying to force their political views down their throats.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #94
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Strange turn of phrase here actually, since I'm quite sure that the states you are holding up as models are much,much more god-forsaken than texas.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #95
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Strange turn of phrase here actually, since I'm quite sure that the states you are holding up as models are much,much more god-forsaken than texas.
it's called sarcasm. there's no such thing as god.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #96
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Whatever. I'm not adamantly opposed to abortion but if you are not able to see some shades of gray in allowing a woman to terminate an 9 month old baby then you are much,much more closed minded than anyone in texas is. I know you'll say "huff,huff, the government doesn't allow women to do this" which completely goes against your assertion that the guvment shouldn't be allowed to enact any laws with respect to a womans body. But I expect you'll casually blow that off because it's not on your political side of the fence.

What is sad is that you somehow don't realize that an onorous guvment (say CA or NY) trods all over peoples personal liberties everyday and will continue and continue to do so, while the folks in smaller government states will continue to have more freedom. Especially freedom from folks like yourself trying to force their political views down their throats.
I lived in Texas for ten years, and chose to move to New York. You say "onorous," I say "education."
Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #97
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
the problem I have with you so-called "conservatives" is this notion that you're all about small government, letting the states decide...unless, of course, that isn't aligned with your own personal belief system.

True "conservatism" is all about a small federal government, about letting the states decide everything that's not in the constitution. (Don't get me started on all the reasons why something written 200+ years ago might not be relevant today.) If so, then fine--let the states make their own laws.
FWIW...the idea that abortion isn't the Federal Government's business and that states should make the laws in this regard is a very, very common position in conservative and anti-abortion circles. I submit your "problem" here is as much a matter of ignorance on your part as it is alleged hypocrisy on the part of conservatives.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #98
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
it's called sarcasm. there's no such thing as god.
Ah gotcha.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #99
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:

wow!! Dude (of all people) pulling out the shades of gray analysis. I like it!
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #100
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Killing baby girls all over the world....

The worldwide war on baby girls

Quote:
Until the 1980s people in poor countries could do little about this preference: before birth, nature took its course. But in that decade, ultrasound scanning and other methods of detecting the sex of a child before birth began to make their appearance. These technologies changed everything. Doctors in India started advertising ultrasound scans with the slogan “Pay 5,000 rupees ($110) today and save 50,000 rupees tomorrow” (the saving was on the cost of a daughter’s dowry). Parents who wanted a son, but balked at killing baby daughters, chose abortion in their millions.
So billions of baby soon-to-be-girls are being killed because their parents prefer fetuses with penises....

....but that's momma's choice, ain't it?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #101
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
All it will take is a little thought policing, alexamenos ("You only go to jail if your motivation was X.") and we will be able to keep all our ethical values lined up nicely.
AZ attempts to out law eugenics...

And Planned Parenthood is pissed.

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here