Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default 8 year old guitar prodigy...not allowed to play

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/...n_mu/blues_kid

Cool story as it relates to the 8 year old kid...a little screwey when it comes to the jealous adults and of course how the law is interpreted.

How is this any different than kids who train for Gymnastics in the olympics or youth Soccer, Baseball, Football?

Guitar is the kids passion and if he couldn't play due to talent, he would not be able to get the gigs. If he can play and he enjoys playing...who are we as adults to dictate what he can and can't do.

Looks like it's time to have his fans raise up the money to pay for any fines he, his dad and the clubs will get hit with in order to let him play!!!

This is taking child labor laws and twisting them to screw with jealous adults.

I for one wouldn't mind hearing the kid...then again, maybe this is a publicity stunt as before this story I had not heard of this kid.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Cigarettes, booze, cocaine backstage...

Yep - that's where I'd want MY eight-year-old!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Let the kid rock. Sounds like Wisconsin just has some overthought law. No surprise there.

What about child actors? This kid is working far less playing a gig or two on the weekends than a kid in a sitcom. Rudy Huxtable worked 10 times more hours, I guarantee you.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8DdNj8O5to
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Let the kid rock. Sounds like Wisconsin just has some overthought law. No surprise there.

What about child actors? This kid is working far less playing a gig or two on the weekends than a kid in a sitcom. Rudy Huxtable worked 10 times more hours, I guarantee you.
Child actors go through all sorts of weird hoops to comply with child labor laws, especially out in California. I've heard some funny stories of things directors have had to do to ensure that nobody would be coming after them...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well the guy could probably get around it. Obviously his kid wants to play music....I see nothing cruel about it.

Couldn't he set up a "scholarship fund" for his boy that people could "donate to" and his son could play music wherever he likes for "free" or something?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

If his dad is there, and he plays for free, Whats illegal?
Hell he could start a web site for donations, and play everywhere for free
Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I just assumed he was getting paid. If he isn't getting paid, then what is the problem? That's not working.

You know what the joker said...."If you're good at something, never do it for free"
Old 08-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

yeah, but then I'd be a prostitute
Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play gigs when I was 12-14 I never thought of it as child labor.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I used to turn tricks when I was 12-14 I never thought of it as child labor.
that is shocking!
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I used to turn tricks when I was 12-14 I never thought of it as child labor.
ever try the shocker?
Wrong thread, guys...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter