Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Any good deals...as Circuit City is liquidated?

I'm not in the market for anything, but I am curious...as the rest of you are shopping around, have you found any pennies on the dollar type of deals at Circuit City?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing good, liquidators took over and quite frankly, it's not worth it. Only deals I heard that were legitimate were on some Sony DSLR's.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

went on saturday and they had 50" sony plasmas for $1500. since the price said it was good thru the 17th, i figured it would be even less on sunday when the huge "liquidation" was to kick off, so i went back first thing in the morning. the same tv was $1800. no lie. they had big orange liquidation price tags on everything and everything was more expensive than it was the day before. when asked, none of the sales people could answer why that was the case.

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 01-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut View Post
went on saturday and they had 50" sony plasmas for $1500. since the price said it was ending good thru the 17th, i figured it would be even less on sunday when the huge "liquidation" was to kick off, so i went back first thing in the morning. the same tv was $1800. no lie. they had big orange liquidation price tags on everything and everything was more expensive than it was the day before. when asked, none of the sales people could answer why that was the case.
Because people blindly flock to store closing sales and spend money, thinking they're getting good deals regardless of whether they actually are.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Before the liquidation announcement I found a 16:9 projector that was hundreds below New Egg, Tiger Direct, etc... (Optoma HD 71 for $900). I ordered it, but my order was cancelled without any warning. I emailed several times with no response, and noticed that the projector had been pulled from the website. About a week later I sent an email complaining that my money still hadn't been refunded, and my money was refunded the next day, but still no email response.

I bought a Sony open box with new lamp from Best Buy instead. Dirk looks even more homoerotic on a 10' screen.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Because people blindly flock to store closing sales and spend money, thinking they're getting good deals regardless of whether they actually are.
And that's what sucks. I'm probably going to miss out on some great deals bc stupid people don't know what they're paying. I'm trying to get as much stuff for an apartment, and Circuit City closing is actually a great opportunity. My cousin is a manager at a circuit city, and has been working there for nearly 5yrs. He told me everything is getting marked down another 10% in the next 3 weeks.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

They are going to try to get as much out of consumers as possible.

To me 50% off is not a great deal...a company being liquidated...they have to get rid of the stuff they have. I am looking for pennies on the dollar type of deals. 90% or more in terms of discount.

Circuit City has saddly already lost the retail battle...hopefully consumers will wise up and stay away until prices are nearly so low that they are giving the inventory away.

In my younger days I worked at a retail chaing (Service Merchandise)...they had these clearance tags, that the price went down every week until the item was gone...Circuit City should do the same thing, only drop the price every DAY until the items are gone.

I wonder, how much is getting shipped back to Vendors?

I wonder if they may have some great deals on DVD's and CD's? or is that stuff getting shipped back and redistributed amongst other retail chains?

I may have to stop in later today to see what they have and what they are doing...maybe I'll get lucky...either way, I aint spending a dime on junk...but if there is a diamond to be had for a penny, I might take advantage of it.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

20% off all DVDs and CDs. Although their selections in cds and dvds suck anyway. My cousin also said the lowest they'll go is 70% off, and that won't be until march.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiBVlXctM8

Watch this before you expect too much from these liquidations. They actually talk about Circuit City itself later in the video clip.

Last edited by bernardos70; 01-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Dont expect for prices to be too low until the very final days of each location. There was a CompUSA that was closing down a few years back in Hurst where I live and the prices finally were good enough for my consideration the final 2 days (of course there wasnt much to choose from at that time either though)
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually, when a place such as Circuit City takes 20% off of their CD's and DVD's, they're still overpriced.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Bargain hunters will end up dissapointed because nothing will be cheap because other shoppers, being ill-informed (or stupid), will eat up most of the goods at the first sight of a sale.

Example: A Linen & Things in my town just closed down recently and people were snatching things off the shelves when they were just 50% off. Don't they know that they can get that same christmas tree at Target at 75% off just a week later instead of 50% off at Linen & Things?

Last edited by TripleDipping; 01-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

They raise their prices, so that 70% off is still about 20-30% off of what they originally priced it at.

If you want a deal, check slickdeals.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

liquidations never have great sales

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter