Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #201
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

Blame the FO for not pursuing an actual big.
Yeah that is definitely on the FO

For years they have neglected adding a big who can simply rebound if nothing else.

Mavs might be on a short list of teams in the Playoffs who don't have a legit big.

I would love for this team to advance to play Phoenix so I can get some playoff tickets but I know going from Gobert to Ayton is going to be brutal.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #202
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Yeah that is definitely on the FO

For years they have neglected adding a big who can simply rebound if nothing else.

Mavs might be on a short list of teams in the Playoffs who don't have a legit big.

I would love for this team to advance to play Phoenix so I can get some playoff tickets but I know going from Gobert to Ayton is going to be brutal.
It would have been nice if WCS would have worked out for us.
Kidd needs that type of tool for a series like this and most likely Phoenix if we move on.

It is imperative that gets addressed in off-season.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #203
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Free throws were about even? Wtf? 42 - 23 so if you mean we had half as many then yes, about even.

When you actually go back and watch the 4th quarter and you'll see Maxi face planting back down to earth. Powell didn't come back in until 5:35. Then he immediatelywent back out for Maxi who was 5 feet behind the line anytime he got the ball and not ready to shoot. Maxi fouled out at 4:19. So Powell played maybe 5 mins in the 4th.
- He boxed out well at 3:42 and wasn't credited with a rebound because Gobert smashed Luka in the face and somehow got called for a foul.
- Powell finishes a tough lob after that.
-At 2:36 he gets hit in the face and gets called for a foul.
- 2:08 Luka straps the ball clean from Gobert and takes an elbow /forearm to the face. No way that's a jump ball.
-1:43 Powell gets an offensive rebound and fouled. Hits 2 free throws.
-:57 seconds Powell gets a defensive rebound after being in perfect position to help against Mitchell driving.
-:31 seconds he stops Mitchell from scoring at the rim and gets hit in the head. Luka fouls and 1.
-:19 seconds Powell makes a good cut and catch then misses 2 free throws.
-:11 seconds DFS fails to switch to Gobert and Luka has no time to slide over on the pNr defense and Gobert gets a free lob finish. Powell executed his assignment.

Powell had 11p 7 rebs. 2 rebs in the 4th so idk what you think you saw. Just say you're mad that DP missed those 2 free throws.

Meanwhile Maxi had 3pts and 6rbs and fouled out.
-
Must spread rep.. great breakdown
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #204
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of those 42 FT's Rudy shot 18 of them most were from intentional fouls on him

Powell sucks plain and simple (Those lobs are less available in the playoffs)

The dude misses tons of defensive box out opportunities. Sure he might know his assignments but he's a terrible big man and can't be relied upon especially in late game situations to grab one key defensive rebound. Yes he plays hard and hustles but so does Josh Green. In fact despite Green being only 6'6 I honestly believe he would grab more rebounds in traffic late in games than Powell would on defense.

We've all seen Powell pull the same crap vs Zubac in previous post seasons getting bullied on the boards.

Maxi does have his issues at times but he isn't as irritant at Powell when it comes to defensive rebounding. But Maxi is usually out on the perimeter being asked to defend wing players much more than Powell.
Intentional fouls or fouls to avoid an easy put back and make him earn them? Because there’s a difference in my opinion. Hack-a-Rudy is fouling him at half court before they setup the offense. Making him earn it is after he gets the ball under the hoop and is about to dunk it is different.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:02 AM   #205
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t blame the FO.

Mavs are suffering from the Tarpley curse.

The only time we overcame it was when Cuban sold his soul for one year of Tyson Chandler but if Chandler was still on the team after 121111 then Cuban would forever be turned into an NFT

Until the Mavs can break the curse, we’re stuck with Powell
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #206
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I know this is going to sound critical of Luka but if you go back and watch the prior two games you'll notice the mavs offense had terrific ball movement.

In a sense they were looking more uptempo and aggressive which made it hard for Utah to play defense because they were always scrambling to either help on the penatrator or get back out to the open shooter.

With Luka the mavs are very predictable on offense and Utah's bigs can stay on the floor much better.

Luka is a great talent no doubt but I'm not sure the isolation sets or PNR sets with Powell is best for this series.

Mavs might very well win this series because they are the better team but I feel it will be more of grind type of game with luka as opposed to the style of play with Brunson as the lead dog.

If this makes sense in football terms with luka it's more of run the ball control the pace type of game.

Without luka is more of attack downfield quickly and exploit the jazz lack of coverage.

You can win with either style no doubt but you just look much better imo as a team with that game 2 and 3 style of play.

I guess that's why I love watching the Warriors they have a terrific system that utilizes very few iso sets.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-24-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #207
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know this is going to sound critical of Luka but if you go back and watch the prior two games you'll notice the mavs offense had terrific ball movement.

In a sense they were looking more uptempo and aggressive which made it hard for Utah to play defense because they were always scrambling to either help on the penatrator or get back out to the open shooter.

With Luka the mavs are very predictable on offense and Utah's bigs can stay on the floor much better.

Luka is a great talent no doubt but I'm not sure the isolation sets or PNR sets with Powell is best for this series.

Mavs might very well win this series because they are the better team but I feel it will be more of grind type of game with luka as opposed to the style of play with Brunson as the lead dog.

If this makes sense in football terms with luka it's more of run the ball control the pace type of game.

Without luka is more of attack downfield quickly and exploit the jazz lack of coverage.

You can win with either style no doubt but you just look much better imo as a team with that game 2 and 3 style of play.

I guess that's why I love watching the Warriors they have a terrific system that utilizes very few iso sets.
I mentioned it before the game that I hope we still have good ball movement.

I agree on the Luka effect. I think they have to consider letting JB run point more and get Luka on the fn block. It's not rocket surgery and he can still distribute the ball as well as score from that position. Maybe screen at the top with Luka and JB, on the switch Luka has a smaller guy now and establishes position on the mid post. That action alone would change a lot. Utah hasn't prepared for that I'd bet. It's a weapon that keeps a quicker guy more willing to move the ball up top that doesn't just take Luka out of the offense. Maxi drags Gobert to a corner so he can't easily recover to Luka on a dump in pass or he leaves Maxi if JB blows by the perimeter defender. We have to add a new wrinkle in on offensive strategy IMO.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #208
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That was going to be my worry too. It’s also hard to build a lead that way in the playoffs as well. Also don’t want Jalen deferring when Luka is in.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #209
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I am probably in the minority, but I was very encouraged by last night. Jazz played fantastic defense, had a significant FT edge, were at home, and the Mavs were reintegrating one of the highest usage players in the league. Jazz still needed Powell to choke to win.

We got them in 6.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #210
JTmoney2424

JTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I mentioned it before the game that I hope we still have good ball movement.

I agree on the Luka effect. I think they have to consider letting JB run point more and get Luka on the fn block. It's not rocket surgery and he can still distribute the ball as well as score from that position. Maybe screen at the top with Luka and JB, on the switch Luka has a smaller guy now and establishes position on the mid post. That action alone would change a lot. Utah hasn't prepared for that I'd bet. It's a weapon that keeps a quicker guy more willing to move the ball up top that doesn't just take Luka out of the offense. Maxi drags Gobert to a corner so he can't easily recover to Luka on a dump in pass or he leaves Maxi if JB blows by the perimeter defender. We have to add a new wrinkle in on offensive strategy IMO.
If you get a chance to rewatch the game, I’d love your input on how many of the 6 fouls on Kleber were legit. I feel a few in the first half were really soft calls that didn’t need to be called but were called anyway to set a tone for the rest of the game.
JTmoney2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #211
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney2424 View Post
If you get a chance to rewatch the game, I’d love your input on how many of the 6 fouls on Kleber were legit. I feel a few in the first half were really soft calls that didn’t need to be called but were called anyway to set a tone for the rest of the game.
I spotted two.

One was a hand check on Mitchell, which is insane because Bogs was doing that to Luka 6-8 times per possession with no call.

Another was a rebound where he was in position for but apparently that doesn’t matter with Gobert. Gobert shoved him out and Kleber got the foul.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #212
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I am probably in the minority, but I was very encouraged by last night. Jazz played fantastic defense, had a significant FT edge, were at home, and the Mavs were reintegrating one of the highest usage players in the league. Jazz still needed Powell to choke to win.

We got them in 6.
You can argue their fantastic defense is due to the Mavs slowing the offense down, not as much ball movement. Defense is much easier that way.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #213
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The idea that Brunson doesn't run ISO plays is absurd. Pretty sure someone on twitter pointed out with stats that in the 4th quarter of game 3 the Mavs ONLY ran iso plays. So the idea that Luka only does that just isn't true. Or that it's some kind of detriment (when we won 52 games).

But again, Luka played hurt. He needed a game to get under him to get into game shape again. And another game might even be needed. That's why it's unwise to keep pushing back him coming back because the process has to start at some point.

And also, Mitchell and Gobert still aren't the ones beating us. We lost to Clarkson getting hot. If we lose the series because of him, then you live with it. This isn't like the Clippers series where Kawhi was annihilating us at every turn win or lose.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #214
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney2424 View Post
Yea I agree for sure. I mentioned this in on of my replies last night. 2 of those maybe 3 of those were fn bs IMO. You can have essentially half the fouls you call on a player who fouled out be really suspect...in a playoff game.

That said, Maxi was in a fn trance in the 4th. He was staring at nothing for a long time when he went off the floor after his 5th foul. When things aren't coming easy for him, he gets sluggish and slow to react and generally seems super stoned. I watched him sit down and stare into the void mumbling something to himself in som weird trance and I kept thinking, this dudes not right. He needs to break his negative concentration, get up, get some Gatorade, splash some water on his face and engage in the Huddles and talk to team/staff....anything to shake the negativity. It's the fn playoffs. Focus on how he is engaged defensively when he's hitting his shots. He's active and very mobile, anticipating plays and switches. When he's off, he is slow to react, over thinks every single movement on both ends and looks almost lost.

I absolutely love what he did in game 2 and most of game 3, but I'm ready for someone else more dependable. How a 7 footer that can defend smaller guys so well on the perimeter can't mix up his offense even a little bit more. Like dude is 5 feet off the 3pt line instead of a foot behind it, Gobert desperately closes out and leaves his feet and he let's it fly anyway. Instead, pump fake and floor it as Gobert is flying by. I've seen rec players who can't dribble for shit execute that play. It's not like he can't do it, it's that he's frazzled and short circuiting mentally. He needs a bounce back game so we can spread Utah back out.

But if we are relying on Maxi to save us, we are chocolate fvcked!

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-24-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #215
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Here are Kleber's 6 fouls by the way

https://twitter.com/MavsBurner/statu...Ap5HC-uAbFbzWg

1- weak ass hand check that didn't interrupt Mitchell's drive and Luka gets hand-checked 4-8 times per possession without a call
2 - Kleber is thrown to the ground. Kleber called for a foul.
3 - Kleber goes straight up. Gets called for a foul
4 - Kleber was up and down, but crowded the shooter down load and made contact
5 - In position. Hooked by Gobert and held to the ground. Gobert foul? Nope. Kleber's 5th.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-25-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:47 PM   #216
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Here are Kleber's 6 fouls by the way

https://twitter.com/MavsBurner/statu...Ap5HC-uAbFbzWg

1- weak ass hand check that didn't interrupt Mitchell's drive and Luka gets hand-checked 4-8 times per possession without a call
2 - Kleber is thrown to the ground. Kleber called for a foul.
3 - Kleber goes straight up. Gets called for a foul
4 - Kleber was up and down, but crowded the shooter down load and made contact
5 - In position. Hooked by Gobert and held to the ground. Gobert foul? Nope. Kleber's 5th.
Yea. Even not being a huge Kleber fan, I thought probably 3 of those were total horseshit.

I want those calls back at home, but I would trade make up calls for the refs to finally get their shit together for good.

The start to a fix is to give 2 challenges per game and if you win one, you get it back. The point should be integrity and getting calls correct. The challenge rule was essentially invented to give grace to the fact that real time calls can be hard to judge. Why? Because there were massive amounts of complaints about bad calls. Deciding when to challenge a call should not be some strategic mastery by the coaching staff because you only have 1.

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-25-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #217
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yea. Even not being a huge Kleber fan, I thought probably 3 of those were total horseshit.

I want those calls back at home, but I would trade make up calls for the refs to finally get their shit together for good.

The start to a fix is to give 2 challenges per game and if you win one, you get it back. The point should be integrity and getting calls correct. The challenge rule was essentially invented to give grace to the fact that real time calls can be hard to judge. Why? Because there were massive amounts of complaints about bad calls. Deciding when to challenge a call should not be some strategic mastery by the coaching staff because you only have 1.
I’d be happy simply if you get the challenge right you get to keep it, and maybe use it at least once more. It’s almost like you’re being punished because the refs made the wrong call to begin with.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #218
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I’d be happy simply if you get the challenge right you get to keep it, and maybe use it at least once more. It’s almost like you’re being punished because the refs made the wrong call to begin with.
I get it, its essentially a desperate situation....but That's begging for table scraps IMO. Given the fact that these mfs can watch a replay in slo-mo and still fvck up a call. That's why you need 2. If you get screwed in a replay, you are out of challenges.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #219
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quoting this from Twitter, so excuse me if I am wrong, but @SloHoopsFan wrote that the Mavs, Suns and Grizzlies all had a chance to go up 3 to 1 in their last games. Their opponents shot 42, 40 and 42 free throws respectively. The Mavs shot 23, and had the refs swallow their whistles on a crucial Mitchell foul that led to a game changing 3 point play. The Suns only got 15 free throws while the Grizzlies got 25.

And here, I thought the Jazz was getting the extra fouls because they now have D Wade on their ownership group, and whenever the refs see him, they automatically call fouls on the Mavs, just like 2006. I'll bet they called 3 of them on Dirk. ( Yes, I'm still pi$$ed over the stolen championship.)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #220
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
You can argue their fantastic defense is due to the Mavs slowing the offense down, not as much ball movement. Defense is much easier that way.
Read this on MMB and I agree 100% Mavs need to go back to that attacking style even with Luka. Let JB and Dinwiddie get down hill more as opposed to Luka being Isolated on Gobert

MMB qoute
Attack Donovan Mitchell defensively
Mitchell has been horrendous defensively in this series. The Mavericks destroyed the Jazz by attacking him and Jordan Clarkson repeatedly in Games 2 and 3. They must get back to this in Game 5 even if it means taking the ball out of Luka’s hands.