Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sports Radio 1310 idea

Van Horn for Stromile Swift and Brian Cardinal

Thoughts?

I like Swift but if you look at his stats in the time he played, they aren't really better then Van Horns except for the blocks. I dunno if he would be worth swallowing Cardinal's contract. Also if Finley is gone, I say keep the guy who can shoot.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Sports Radio 1310 idea

I like Van Horn, but that's a good trade. Cardinal might be overpaid, but he's a decent player. He could be like a Najera with a jump-shot-- pretty good for a throw-in. Plus, if we get Swift to fill the front-court need, we could use the MLE on a quality shooter like Korver to replace Van Horn.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Sports Radio 1310 idea

I like Van Horn where he is. He's a great trade asset but I kind of hope we keep him. Spectacular backup to Dirk. Wish we had a place for him to start on the team.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

If Stro would agree to be a backup in Dallas then I would do it in a heartbeat.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I would do it as well. Swift would be the ideal backup 4/5. Brian Cardinal is a hustle guy with a good three point stroke.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

That is just a buttload of added salary, that is really the only problem.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Swift is a guy that still has potential to be something special. As long as you get the best player for your system you are doing fine. Add a guy like Antonio Daniels and then you have a formidable team.

Since the Grizzlies didn't want to give up Swift for Dampier it is hard to figure they would do this deal.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

i like that trade it helps both teams, unless memphis wants no part of KVH . that bench for the mavs will be alot stronger and TOUGHER with those two
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

I don’t think too many teams are drooling to get there hands on kvh. I liked the big picture, big balls philosophy with the Lebron post. Not sure why it was locked.
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Personally I'd do it in a hearbeat, Cardinal is a scrapper and Swift requires a swift kick in the ass.... Avery can provide that.

Gotta say I like KVH as the back up to Dirk though.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

When KVH is traded, it is not because of his talent, it is because he provides financial relief. Remember how Golden States got Baron Davis, the gave them the expiring contract of Dale Davis.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I would do the deal if we could find a way to get James Posey instead of Brian Cardinal. I love Posey's game and if Finley is a goner....then Posey can do a lot of the things that Fin could. He is a good shooter, a great defender, and is athletic. I would throw in some cash of even a pick.

I am not a fan of the custodian. He had one good year on a medicore Golden State team, and he will not be good again. I want no part of that guy.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #13
Dalhoop

Dalhoop has a spectacular aura aboutDalhoop has a spectacular aura about

As the team is made right now. KVH plays the role of Dirk lite for those times when Dirk is on the bench or we want to create match-up problems. He is also a sort of insurance policy in the event of an injury to either Dirk or Howard.

The team losses little in production from Dirk to KVH and can play the same type of game.

To trade KVH, I would like a similar talent in return. Swift and Cardinal are not suitable for the Dirk lite role.

Those that want to get rid of KVH are not looking at the big picture. This team only needs a back-up center. They have an extra swing man. The trade should be the extra swing-man and maybe a project big-man or future draft picks for a back-up center.

We should not trade something that, to us, has value and a place on the team. Instead we should trade something that we already have too many of (SG/SF) for something that we need.
Dalhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Cardinal has a similar game to KVH. That is why I would LOVE this trade if the grizz do it. We get a hustle guy/offensive player with good range in cardinal, and an excellent defensive backup in swift. The grizz might either want a pick or they might want pavel or DJ in the trade so they are not thin at 4/5.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

While I agree that KVH is a valuable piece of this team, I am not so sure that we have any expendable swiingmen if Finley is to be waived. A threesome of Howard/Stack/Quis with Terry and KVH doing 5-10 minutes each at the swing positions is not an overabundance. If we have one injury to a swingman (which is very likely considering last year) we will be in trouble. I think the #2 priority is a sharpshooting SG/SF who fits into Avery's system. I think Posey is th perfect man for the job... and I would love to make a trade for him even if we dont recieve Lorenzen Wright of Stromile Swift.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote