Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default My friday plan for the Mavs' offseason

1) S&T Marquis Daniels for Dan Gadzuric

- Dallas gets an young, athletic, and IMO starting caliber center; Bucks get a nice young backcourt player in return who could be a nice compliment to a resigned Michael Redd.

2) Trade Eric Dampier to Memphis for Lorenzen Wright and whatever else you can squeeze out of the Grizz (eg., draft pick(s), James Posey, etc.).

- Dallas gets long-term salary relief without sacrificing the ability to get 48 minutes of solid center play, and Lorenzen's 1-year contract provides a perfect fit, allowing the Mavs another year to evaluate the progress of DJ and Pavel; Memphis gets the guy they really wanted last summer.

3) Retain Michael Finley's services. The long-term savings from the Damp/Wright swap more than make up for keeping Mike.

You're now looking at the following roster:

Terry/Harris
Fin/Stack
Josh/Fin
Dirk/KVH
Gad/Wright

Fill it in with some minor signings. Maybe Jacobsen, some low priced vets looking for a contending team, a standout UFA. Point guard play improves from within, 2/3 play stays about the same, or perhaps improves with some luck on the injury front, the PF rotation is arguably the best in the NBA, and you've got two legit, if not elite, centers capable of handling starters' minutes.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My friday plan for the Mavs' offseason

That is a pretty descent 9 deep rotation. I like it. I doubt it happening though (too much logic).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it because neither of the teams we'd be dealing with would pull the trigger.

Daniels is just such a unique player and Im not sure that there is anyone out there that really know where he fits. That, his contract (high paid and long contract), and the fact that he was so spotty last season really make him an iffy prospect to trade.

Damp will also be hard to trade after last season. He's paid a ton, his contract is long and he wasnt the number meister that he was the year before. He also doesnt seem to fit into Memphis' system.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

EL, I really don't know if Daniels would get it done or not, but if Gad starts getting offers above the MLE Milwaukee might prefer to do a S&T with him. If that happens I'd at least expect Milwaukee to consider it, wouldn't you? And don't forget that depending on what the market for his services looks like Gad CAN exert some influence of his own on where he ends up, especially if Dallas is willing to overpay for him a bit (as I understand the new CBA a first year salary of 6.8 million would be possible).

As for Damp, the reports were that West was very high on him last summer. Wright as the foundation of the trade from Memphis' end isn't a lot for them to give up. Unless West really changed his mind about Damp I'd think it would be very doable.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I love it. And I don't think it's all unreasonable from the other teams' perspective. I'm about 95% certain that Memphis would still dearly love to have Dampier. They are desperate for rebounding on that team. Desperate. I still maintain that you could probably get something else pretty valuable to go along with Wright in the trade.

The Milwaukee angle I am not so sure about. But if they fear getting into a situation where Gad gets an offer they don't want to match, then maybe Daniels is enough to make them want to do a S-n-T. I would worry that they would get better offers, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, this is one of the best trade ideas Ive seen in the last few months, GMC
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

All this to keep Michael Finley.

I don't get it.

I do like Gadzuric though, I don't llke the Dampier for Wright trade at all but I get your reasoning (so you can afford to keep Fin).

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:My friday plan for the Mavs' offseason

Great trade idea GMC. I'd do it and I think that it's possible. It looks like it gives a win to all the teams involved.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default RE:My friday plan for the Mavs' offseason

That team looks worse than the team, we had this year. Better no trades than these trades.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote