Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
That's pretty much 100% of the argument.

If you go into business with a couple of business partners, you can force out one business partner if they are hurting the company, but if you seize their share or force them to sell at a loss, you are in for a major lawsuit.
Except if there are bi-laws in place that allow for the business partners to reach a majority. Then it seems pretty standard to me.

Now, in this case, there appears to be a lot of grey area on what conditions allow for the vote and that will probably we where the legal battle focuses. But the majority force out , in some permutation, is written into the contract the owners agree to when they buy the team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Except if there are bi-laws in place that allow for the business partners to reach a majority. Then it seems pretty standard to me.

Now, in this case, there appears to be a lot of grey area on what conditions allow for the vote and that will probably we where the legal battle focuses. But the majority force out , in some permutation, is written into the contract the owners agree to when they buy the team.
Was it there about 5 cbas ago? Because if it wasn't, then that statement doesn't apply to him. Sterling is a pos, and I don't feel sorry for him, but this is also a man who loves litigation, has no problems getting dirty and has a billionaire's resources. The legal battle that will result from this could very easily end up causing the nba more financial harm then any moronic statements he made.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Was it there about 5 cbas ago? Because if it wasn't, then that statement doesn't apply to him. Sterling is a pos, and I don't feel sorry for him, but this is also a man who loves litigation, has no problems getting dirty and has a billionaire's resources. The legal battle that will result from this could very easily end up causing the nba more financial harm then any moronic statements he made.
CBA's deal with negotiations between the owners and the players. They don't have anything to do with the NBA Ownership Bi-Laws.

I have no idea if the rule was in place when Sterling bought the team but I assume the option is to adopt new rules or sell your team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Oprah Winfrey and David Geffen reportedly in queue of potential buyers for Clippers franchise.

Oprah would be a great owner. Go to a Clippers game, look under your chair, find her latest book recommendation.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

If the team is ever for sale, Seattle should get first, second and third dibs.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
If the team is ever for sale, Seattle should get first, second and third dibs.
Seattle, KC, and I actually think that Vegas would make a great location for a pro team.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Seattle, KC, and I actually think that Vegas would make a great location for a pro team.
Please, please, please! MGM is building an arena now. Clippers would be perfect. Lob(flop city)...except I hate Clippers. But Id get to see the Mavs without traveling anywhere
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Oprah Winfrey and David Geffen reportedly in queue of potential buyers for Clippers franchise.

Oprah would be a great owner. Go to a Clippers game, look under your chair, find her latest book recommendation.
I f'ing cannot stand that worthless piece of sh!t.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I f'ing cannot stand that worthless piece of sh!t.
Thanks. That's a great insight. But you know she loves you back!

P.S.: Her net worth penis is about twice as big as Sterling's. Wouldn't it be awesome, Murph, if she and David Geffen (whose net worth is about 4x that of Sterling) formed an owernship group? The first female owner and the first gay man owner in the NBA! You might never sleep again!

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 04-30-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Variant

Variant is on a distinguished road

Quote:

P.S.: Her net worth penis is about twice as big as Sterling's. Wouldn't it be awesome, Murph, if she and David Geffen (whose net worth is about 4x that of Sterling) formed an owernship group? The first female owner and the first gay man owner in the NBA! You might never sleep again!

Wow. Random personal attack? Seems uncalled for.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Why would you think I have any problem with a gay owner or female owner? I have absolutely no problem with either. If you're a big enough of a jackwagon to attack me on the forum in such a manner without merit, it tells us alot about you.

Yes, I think Oprah Winfrey is a minority that actually detracts from those suffering from actual racism with some of her comments especially with regards to Obama. I also think she is a self serving person that gives more for the sake of attention than for the sake of giving. The Ticket used to do some funny bits regarding her. When she'd have a guest on talking about their charity, Oprah would always cut them off and one up them. To me, that screams is someone that does something for self serving reasons. Yes, it's obviously still good for the recipient, but it rings just a little bit hollow. The world is absolutely full of people such as this. Many people give with sincerity in their heart. Many people give for their own personal gain. Oprah, to me, gives for her own personal gain... it helps the ratings of the show and paints her in a more favorable light. Perhaps I am overly cynical with regards to her. But, it is merely based on what I have seen, heard, and read concerning her and nothing else. I would have have absolutely no issue with a female owner. I would have no issue with a gay owner.. I would have no issue with a gay/female/african american owner although I do prefer my gay females to be caucasian.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-01-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
CBA's deal with negotiations between the owners and the players. They don't have anything to do with the NBA Ownership Bi-Laws.

I have no idea if the rule was in place when Sterling bought the team but I assume the option is to adopt new rules or sell your team.
I thought the rule they were using to attempt to make him sell was in the cba?

Also there's a difference(a huge one actually) between saying dont buy a team if you don't like the conditions and sell your team if you don't like new rules. Completely different scenarios.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote