Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #401
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
So which conference is the best? I know I heard a lot of talk (not necessarily here) about the BIG12 this year. Anyone here think that?
Quite possibly.. they have two of the top five ranked teams based on the abysmal polls.. There's no way to truly tell especially without a playoff.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #402
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I think the SEC is probably the best conference top to bottom, with the Big 12 a very, very close 2nd.

I definitely thought it was the Big 12 a couple months ago, but bowl season has changed my mind.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #403
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Top to bottom, I think it's clearly the SEC. The Big 12 is top-heavy. At the top, though, how can you tell?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #404
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Top to bottom, I think it's clearly the SEC. The Big 12 is top-heavy. At the top, though, how can you tell?
We can hope that Obama leads us to playoff glory. Probably won't happen, but I'm going to continue to be an idealist.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-09-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #405
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's something he can work on...but it's not happening any time soon, at least it shouldn't.

There are much bigger issues he needs to deal with. But he can definitely resolve this issue.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #406
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

"The real irony is that Bradford might be the only Heisman winning quarterback in history to have lost to the other two finalists in the same year."

Anyone know if this quote is true?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #407
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
"The real irony is that Bradford might be the only Heisman winning quarterback in history to have lost to the other two finalists in the same year."

Anyone know if this quote is true?
It would have been true in 2005 if Vince had lost to USC.

But, of course, he didn't.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #408
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
It would have been true in 2005 if Vince had lost to USC.

But, of course, he didn't.
Vince was a finalist that year, but he didn't win the Heisman. Reggie Bush did...

He was up against two Trojans in Bush and Leinart...but, I hear ya on Vince not losing to USC

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #409
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Vince was a finalist that year, but he didn't win the Heisman. Reggie Bush did...

He was up against two Trojans in Bush and Leinart...but, I hear ya on Vince not losing to USC
Actually, I'm well aware that he didn't win it. I remember vividly the look on his face when they announced Bush. He tried to be cordial, but you could tell he was furious.

I was just giving him a de facto Heisman for clearly being the best college player of the 3, and for the fact that Bush should have alrady been disqualified from every award he every won due to accepting over 300,000 worth of money while at USC. I guess that probably wasn't clear at all, though. Whoops.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #410
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, I'm well aware that he didn't win it. I remember vividly the look on his face when they announced Bush. He tried to be cordial, but you could tell he was furious.

I was just giving him a de facto Heisman for clearly being the best college player of the 3, and for the fact that Bush should have alrady been disqualified from every award he every won due to accepting over 300,000 worth of money while at USC. I guess that probably wasn't clear at all, though. Whoops.
I figured you knew...

Well, since we're talking about the UT/USC...thought I'd bring this pic back: Vince's game winning touchdown.

Cheerleaders are so smart.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 01-12-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #411
LonghornDub

Quote:
An all-time classic picture.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #412
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
to quote Deuce Bigalow "THAT'S A HUGE B*TCH"
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #413
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the SEC is probably the best conference top to bottom, with the Big 12 a very, very close 2nd.

I definitely thought it was the Big 12 a couple months ago, but bowl season has changed my mind.
i still think its the big 12. The big 12 is based on rhythm offenses. Obviously a month off hurt a bunch of those teams.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #414
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I figured you knew...

Well, since we're talking about the UT/USC...thought I'd bring this pic back: Vince's game winning touchdown.

That's a funny pic, but VY ran into the corner of the endzone for the game winning TD.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #415
LonghornDub

ESPN reporting that Bradford is going to return to OU next year. He's got a presser at 4:30 CT to announce his decision.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #416
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Props to him. He wants to win a Championship. That is awesome. Although I hope he fails.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-14-2009 at 04:55 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #417
LonghornDub

It's official. Bradford and TE Jermaine Gresham are both staying.

I'm shocked on Gresham, really. It's not a good business decision for either of them, but I was 100% sure Gresham would leave. Very odd.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #418
ty
Diamond Member

McCoy, Tebow, Bradford all staying.

Will all three be Heisman candidates? Will any of them get injured?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #419
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

let the expectations begin: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28608302.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #420
LonghornDub

Mark Sanchez is leaving to the NFL. That's likely one less national championship contender to worry about (though USC will still be very, very good, as always).

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #421
nikeball
Platinum Member

National signing day always feels good to steal last minute recruits from those Aggies and Raiders
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #422
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
National signing day always feels good to steal last minute recruits from those Aggies and Raiders
Steal? Isn't it usually considered the other way? We (Tech) usually end up with whatever is left.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #423
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Great day for the Hogs. Not as many last minute commits as other schools (we only had 2 guys left on our board that we were waiting on), but holding onto what we had was very important. Grabbing one last 4*, a DT at that, was huge. First top 15 class I can EVER remember from the Hogs. The next few years should be fun.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #424
LonghornDub

Quote:
I don't think we stole anyone today. Every single kid that signed had been verbally committed to Texas for awhile. No surprises, really.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #425
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I don't think we stole anyone today. Every single kid that signed had been verbally committed to Texas for awhile. No surprises, really.
Signing day just seems over-hyped for me. Recruiting classes can be fool's gold.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #426
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Signing day just seems over-hyped for me. Recruiting classes can be fool's gold.
Sometimes, but generally there is a fairly strong correlation between the best teams on the field and the best recruiting classes. Not a perfect correlation, of course, but fairly strong. You just happen to root for a school who consistently plays much stronger than its recruiting classes would indicate.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #427
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Sometimes, but generally there is a fairly strong correlation between the best teams on the field and the best recruiting classes. Not a perfect correlation, of course, but fairly strong. You just happen to root for a school who consistently plays much stronger than its recruiting classes would indicate.
Yeah, sometimes it correlates and sometimes it really doesn't (Irish). I know it was at least once recently, was it possibly twice that they had the "top-rated" recruiting class? Riiiiiight.

Hey now I'm not afraid about that comment. Like I said, we usually get the scraps that UT, OU, and probably A&M don't take...we can just turn into some pretty good stuff. Just think if we had the same kind of recruiting classes as your boys in ATX.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #428
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Yeah, sometimes it correlates and sometimes it really doesn't (Irish). I know it was at least once recently, was it possibly twice that they had the "top-rated" recruiting class? Riiiiiight.

Hey now I'm not afraid about that comment. Like I said, we usually get the scraps that UT, OU, and probably A&M don't take...we can just turn into some pretty good stuff. Just think if we had the same kind of recruiting classes as your boys in ATX.
ND certainly hasn't lived up to their talent, but that's probably the only really big disparity I've seen in recent years. Tennessee has had some good classes, so maybe you can throw them in there too. But over the past 5-6 years, the top recruiting schools have been: UT, Oklahoma, LSU, USC, Florida, Ohio State. That's a pretty solid correlation.

Tech with top-5 recruiting class caliber talent would be ridiculous. Hell, if Tech even had the talent on some of the A&M teams they were walloping 4-5 years ago, they would have done some even more serious damage.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #429
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
ND certainly hasn't lived up to their talent, but that's probably the only really big disparity I've seen in recent years. Tennessee has had some good classes, so maybe you can throw them in there too. But over the past 5-6 years, the top recruiting schools have been: UT, Oklahoma, LSU, USC, Florida, Ohio State. That's a pretty solid correlation.

Tech with top-5 recruiting class caliber talent would be ridiculous. Hell, if Tech even had the talent on some of the A&M teams they were walloping 4-5 years ago, they would have done some even more serious damage.
Yeah, I guess I just don't buy into all the hype of it all...I guess I'm glad it doesn't stretch out into like a 2 week thing or something.

Tech just needs maybe 2 more notches up in talent, then we're playing with power. This might be a step back though this year...just have to see how the new kids do stepping up into their new roles. With Leach, you're always dangerous.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #430
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the SEC owns.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #431
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I tend to think that recruiting rankings are EXTREMELY important for the most part. If you sign a ton of 4 and 5* guys, you're going to have a great shot at BCS games. BUT, a lot of those stars are given depending on the school you go to. Over the years, and I've followed arkansas recruiting since 2002 or so, I've seen arkansas commits lose stars as soon as they announce for arkansas. Meanwhile, LSU can get a previously unranked guy to commit and his next evaluation - BAM - kid's a 4 star. If you're a previously unranked player and you commit to someone like LSU or UT, you're going to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #432
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
the SEC owns.
Unbelievable. The conference just gets tougher and tougher.

Tags
belly aching, colt mccoy, crying, mccoy's gf = very whorish, ou = fail, ou offends this board, sense of entitlement, the humans are dead, this board hates ou