Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #41
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

If Reggie Nelson is there, you have to take him. Jarrett is a good pick there also. I don't know about Bowe. The LSU picks haven't been too good for the boys(green, james, peterman). Jarvis Moss would also be good. It would give the boys some pressure from Ellis's position just in case Ellis can't get healthy or stay healthy. I like what I saw from Bobby at the end of the year at Ellis's position, but I think he would be better inside.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip41
I like what I saw from Bobby at the end of the year at Ellis's position, but I think he would be better inside.
I cannot wait to see what he hauls out of that bag this season...it would be nice to see a real player there...he showed some signs of being more than the bust so many labled him.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #43
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you knock Ginn think about the effect that Hester had on the Bears this year. He's that kind of game changer.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Before you knock Ginn think about the effect that Hester had on the Bears this year. He's that kind of game changer.
is he? (game/set/match)

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #45
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

yea, you got me there

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-26-2007 at 02:39 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #46
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

ginn is not skyler green if for no other reasons than A) he is MUCH faster both in football speed and 40 speed(skyler green is a 4.52 guy who was never particularly football fast while ginn is a 4.37 guy who actually is football faster than even that) B) he can actually play a position other than returner.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #47
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Patrick Willis was the most impressive defensive player that Arkansas faced last season. He pretty much shut down Darren McFadden...and that doesn't happen.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #48
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Patrick Willis was the most impressive defensive player that Arkansas faced last season. He pretty much shut down Darren McFadden...and that doesn't happen.
that means alot coming from the sec. Im not a big fan of drafting another linebacker but if hes that good(and as much sports as i watch i cant watch them all so i havent seen him play much,) id be very happy with him.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #49
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I cannot wait to see what he hauls out of that bag this season...it would be nice to see a real player there...he showed some signs of being more than the bust so many labled him.
because he was playing outside. playing him inside is what caused him to be labeled as such.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

it looks like blalock is gonna get the jonathon scott treatment. its funny how stupid the nfl draft process can be at times. i guarantee you he will have a better career(barring injury) than at least half of the people taken in front of him. and where is this myth that hes not athletic enough to play tackle coming from??? is he a left tackle? no he probably isnt though i wouldnt rule that out to be honest but he was the best right tackle in the country last year before he got moved. the guy just flat out gets the job done. guys that smart, strong and huge who have played that much high level football (he started 51 straight games at lineman U) will almost always be successful
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #51
Five-ofan
Guru

btw the new cnnsi mock has us taking aaron ross.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #52
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
because he was playing outside. playing him inside is what caused him to be labeled as such.
one way or another with as little playing time as he got he should not have been labled...just too early.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #53
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Bobby has the speed to cover the tight ends that James obviously can't cover (See the Seattle and Eagles games). He was ok on the outside , but he used his power and didn't have a whole lot of moves. The boys defense really weakened when Ellis went out. They will need a pressure player whether it be Ellis or someone they take in the draft.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #54
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
btw the new cnnsi mock has us taking aaron ross.
I hate to say it but I wouldn't draft Aaron Ross in the first. I just don't trust him.

IMO Tarrell Brown in the later rounds would be a better value. He was clearly the better player in 05'. He had a rough senior, on and off the field, but as a second day pick he may be worth a flyer.

BTW 5-0, what do you think about Brian Robinson? His measurables are off the chart but he was never a dominant player.

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-27-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I hate to say it but I wouldn't draft Aaron Ross in the first. I just don't trust him.

IMO Tarrell Brown in the later rounds would be a better value. He was clearly the better player in 05'. He had a rough senior, on and off the field, but as a second day pick he may be worth a flyer.

BTW 5-0, what do you think about Brian Robinson? His measurables are off the chart but he was never a dominant player.
I wouldnt take ross. I love his ball skills but he got toasted way too much this year for a first round corner. Unless revis or hall is there at 22 i wouldnt take a corner in the first and theres no way either slips that far. As for robinson I was a huge robinson fan but for some reason it just never worked with him. He has a 40.5 vert right? I really think crowder will be the better player though. Hes really fast to be as big as he is, and he should be explosive given his ridiculous shotput abilities(i think he was 3rd in the nation the last 2 years) but he just doesnt seem to have a burst. Hes not really a fast-twitch guy and he plays way too high. I think he could be successful in the nfl but if he is it will be as a linebacker.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #56
Five-ofan
Guru

btw as for who i think the cowboys will pick its got to come down to either ben grubbs, one of the receivers or reggie nelson if hes there.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #57
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Kind of what I was thinking. He may be more effective in space as a 3-4 LB than on the line fighting huge tackles every play.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #58
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
one way or another with as little playing time as he got he should not have been labled...just too early.
i fully agree. i think he could be pretty dang good given the chance.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #59
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

The FCC draftday hope is as follows:

Jerry Jones was merely posturing when he is talking about "juicing up" the most productive offense stat wise since the early 90's and better than some of those 90's teams.

We should TRADE DOWN, TRADE DOWN.... unless Branch or Peterson fall into the low teens.

This draft should be about building overall depth because the facts are we need to take a page out of the NE school of thought and look at replacing superstars with solid backups so we dont get screwed by the cap and we can release players...

MUSTS: DT for the 3-4... we must find a decent back-up for Furgi... if he goes down there is no depth behind him and we will be run on all year.

NEEDS by priority: CB: Newman is in a contract year so unless us want to take a 80-90mill cap hit and large sign on bonus on a 29 year old its time to grrom a replacement. Futhermore, he can play thin nickle and provide youth (Newman is the youngest of the 3)

WR: This isn't number 1 because Wade Phillips is the coach imho. Crayton can be a possession reciever, T.O. and Glenn, it has been well documented are not going to be here in the next 1-2 years.

O-line: Rivera was replaced by Davis, period end of story... we are not any deeper here this year then we were last year. Davis is the only new guy and rivera is as good as gone. We need depth even at center (gurode is backed up by no one on the depth chart). I really hope Jones doesnt think all the big money he spent there actually made the O-line deeper or better. He needed to resign the ones he did and he replaced a pro-bowler who has been injured with Davis... still needs help and depth PERIOD. I put this as the last need because solid backups can be found in later rounds. We need to groom them, not buy them.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #60
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Kiper just published his final mock. He also has the Cowboys taking Aaron Ross
Old 04-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #61
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
He needed to resign the ones he did and he replaced a pro-bowler who has been injured with Davis... still needs help and depth PERIOD
I agree with most of what you said but Marco Rivera has been pretty bad. He's been nowhere near the pro bowl player we thought we were signing. If Davis can be solid, that's an upgrade IMO.

I also have some hope that Mcquiston and Proctor can be good players. Parcells thought highly of both of them and I trust his opinion when it comes to O-lineman that he's coached.

That being said, it's probably a good idea to take at least one O-lineman every year since, as you mentioned, you can find quality late in the draft.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #62
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

wonder what The Goose has to say about draft day? There's no one better than The Goose.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #63
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Gosselin's Final Mock

Selection: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

The Cowboys need depth at cornerback, and Ross gives it to them. He won the Thorpe Award as college football's top defensive back in 2006. The Cowboys also need help on special teams, finishing 21st in the NFL in punt returns. Ross has an 11.8-yard career punt return average with three touchdowns.

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-27-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 AM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

gossellins mock makes no sense. is there a single team that ted ginn has less value too than the bears? sure hes dangerous in the return game but are you honestly gonna put him in instead of hester? hell they still have vasher as another return guy whos a stud. no need for ginn at all.

i will be very underwhelmed if we get ross.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #65
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
gossellins mock makes no sense. is there a single team that ted ginn has less value too than the bears? sure hes dangerous in the return game but are you honestly gonna put him in instead of hester? hell they still have vasher as another return guy whos a stud. no need for ginn at all.

i will be very underwhelmed if we get ross.
If Ginn can play receiver, the Bears can use him. Oh, how they could use another receiver.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:37 AM   #66
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
If Ginn can play receiver, the Bears can use him. Oh, how they could use another receiver.
His point is (at least I'm assuming this is his point since I feel the same way), Ginn is nowhere near as polished a reciever as Meachum, Bowe, Jarrett or even his college teammate Gonzales. What elevates him above those players is his game breaking ability on special teams. The Bears are the one team that doesn't really need that.

BTW, I didn't realize that Bush had a setback and would miss the entire season. I wouldn't bother drafting him. We're fine at RB.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #67
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
His point is (at least I'm assuming this is his point since I feel the same way), Ginn is nowhere near as polished a reciever as Meachum, Bowe, Jarrett or even his college teammate Gonzales. What elevates him above those players is his game breaking ability on special teams. The Bears are the one team that doesn't really need that.

BTW, I didn't realize that Bush had a setback and would miss the entire season. I wouldn't bother drafting him. We're fine at RB.
thats exactly my point.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #68
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I feel you, and they already have the home run hitter in Berrian. But...I'm a lot more likely to trust Goose than I am to trust any one of us...and if Goose thinks they would draft him it may be because they like him better than, say, a Berrian for his field-stretching potential. And for that matter, how would you like to kick off to Hester and Ginn? And Hester doesn't return punts, does he?

Just by the way, I am flat out flabbergasted by Hester. That guy is amazing-good.

If Bush has that much skill, he is certainly worth a 6th or a 7th to redshirt, isn't he? Especially if you are Dallas, with (I think) five picks in those two rounds.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #69
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Hester returns kicksoffs and punts.

I guess you could use a red shirt on Bush in the 6th or 7th. The original question was 4th or 5th so that's what I was amending my answer to.

This is such a weak RB draft that somebody will probably snatch him up before we have a chance.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:05 AM   #70
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I feel you, and they already have the home run hitter in Berrian. But...I'm a lot more likely to trust Goose than I am to trust any one of us...and if Goose thinks they would draft him it may be because they like him better than, say, a Berrian for his field-stretching potential. And for that matter, how would you like to kick off to Hester and Ginn? And Hester doesn't return punts, does he?

Just by the way, I am flat out flabbergasted by Hester. That guy is amazing-good.

If Bush has that much skill, he is certainly worth a 6th or a 7th to redshirt, isn't he? Especially if you are Dallas, with (I think) five picks in those two rounds.
hester returns picks and theres not really much of an improvement from vasher to ginn as the number two return guy. they might make that pick but it would be incredibly stupid.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #71
richard_

richard_ will become famous soon enough

gosselins order is messed up, the jags have the 17th pick
richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #72
sike
The Preacha

I want a WR.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #73
chumdawg
Guru

I love draft day!! Let's get it started!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #74
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
I love draft day!! Let's get it started!
heck yes.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone not listening to the ticket, here's the webcam of the Cowboys war room.

http://www.theticket.com/webcast.asp

Cool concept, although I'm sure you won't see much of anything interesting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #76
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Anyone not listening to the ticket, here's the webcam of the Cowboys war room.

http://www.theticket.com/webcast.asp

Cool concept, although I'm sure you won't see much of anything interesting.
I am more interested in getting to hear the boys pick bofore it is officially announced.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #77
sike
The Preacha

so far so 'yawn'

Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #78
dirno2000
Diamond Member

fyi, Mike Williams has been traded to the Titans for an undisclosed draft pick.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #79
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Wow...Ted Ginn at 9
Old 04-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #80
Five-ofan
Guru

if quinn falls do you take him if your the boys? what a reach for ginn