Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Phoenix 115
Dallas 109
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Phoenix 115
Dallas 109
Not too far off.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Until Daniels can get his head back into the game it is fair to rag on him. I've seen somewhat diminished lateral speed but he is just as he always has been. All his problems this year have come from playing stupid ball. Last year he was spectacular because he played like a 3-4 year vet and knew how to be effective at many points in the game. This year he is looking like a second round pick. I can understand how some of what he is facing is hesitance from missing training camp and thinking about Nellie's system before moving, but he's also just making dumb moves a lot more than last year. We've seen a lot more out of him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

This is a game that could have been won if it had been better managed and coached by the coaching staff (esp nellie). His favoristim for duck is ruining the team. Nellie , duck , and quis to the doghouse.!!!!! Right now!!!

Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

goodness! I can't even look at that signature without cringing
Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

My first thoughts after Damp went down: who is going to put mass on Amare?

My last thoughts: Henderson played his heart out but he just didnt have the strength or height for Amare. Guess it really sucked to lose Damp

I think we should have given Didier a chance, but lets be realistic here. M'Benga would have been eaten alive by Stoudamire.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

My last thoughts: Henderson played his heart out but he just didnt have the strength or height for Amare. Guess it really sucked to lose Damp

I think we should have given Didier a chance, but lets be realistic here. M'Benga would have been eaten alive by Stoudamire.
Knock on DJ is that he frequently forgets the offensive play calls. But he's well acknowledged for his speed, athleticism & defense.
Last night, we needed all of those and may be a few hard fouls to put some fear in Amare. He had too easy of a time with Hendu guarding him, especilly in the 4th period.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

With the exception of the third period and most of the fourth period, we couldn't contain Amare. This includes the period in the first quarter in which Dampier was guarding him. It was a bad matchup for Damp. Nelson said so in pre-game interviews. It may have sucked to lose him, but I doubt he could have done a whole lot better than what we saw out of the Mavericks in the second half. What we should be saying is that it took Nelson half the game to find something that worked. To his credit, he stuck with it. It wasn't enough this time. But I think we've got a great blueprint on how to beat Phoenix next time.

BTW- Phoenix is a damn good team. We shouldn't be making excuses. The injuries may not have been great, but even if we were completely healthy, I think we'd still have trouble with this team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:

With the exception of the third period and most of the fourth period, we couldn't contain Amare. This includes the period in the first quarter in which Dampier was guarding him. It was a bad matchup for Damp. Nelson said so in pre-game interviews. It may have sucked to lose him, but I doubt he could have done a whole lot better than what we saw out of the Mavericks in the second half. What we should be saying is that it took Nelson half the game to find something that worked. To his credit, he stuck with it. It wasn't enough this time. But I think we've got a great blueprint on how to beat Phoenix next time.
1st Period
(12:00) Dampier Jump Ball Dampier vs Stoudemire
(11:46) [DAL] Howard Layup Shot: Missed
(11:45) [PHX] Richardson Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(11:38) [PHX] Richardson Layup Shot: Missed Block: Dampier (1 BLK)
(11:36) [DAL] Team Rebound
(11:24) [DAL 2-0] Dampier Hook Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(11:02) [PHX 2-2] Stoudemire Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(10:47) [DAL 4-2] D. Harris Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(10:22) [PHX] Nash Turnover: Bad Pass (1 TO) Steal: Daniels (1 ST)
(10:13) [DAL 6-2] Daniels Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(9:55) [PHX 4-6] Marion Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Richardson (1 AST)
(9:31) [DAL] Nowitzki Jump Shot: Missed
(9:29) [DAL] Dampier Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
(9:26) [DAL] Dampier Turnover: Bad Pass (1 TO) Steal: Marion (1 ST)
(9:16) [PHX] Johnson Jump Shot: Missed
(9:15) [PHX] Marion Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
(9:07) [PHX 6-6] Richardson Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Nash (1 AST)
(8:48) [DAL] D. Harris Jump Shot: Missed
(8:46) [PHX] Stoudemire Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(8:41) [PHX] Nash Turnover: Bad Pass (2 TO) Steal: D. Harris (1 ST)
(8:25) [DAL 8-6] Nowitzki Driving Layup: Made (2 PTS)
(8:25) [PHX] Stoudemire Violation: Defensive Goaltending
(8:12) [PHX 8-8] Nash Fade Away: Made (2 PTS)
(7:58) [DAL] Daniels Jump Shot: Missed
(7:57) [PHX] Johnson Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(7:46) [PHX] Marion Jump Shot: Missed
(7:45) [PHX] Johnson Rebound (Off:1 Def:1)
(7:43) [DAL] Dampier Foul: Shooting (1 PF)
(7:43) [PHX] Stoudemire Free Throw 1 of 2 missed
(7:43) [PHX] Team Rebound
(7:43) [DAL] Dampier Substitution replaced by Booth

I don't remember Amare dominating Dampier in the first. Apparently, neither does the play by play.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
BTW- Phoenix is a damn good team. We shouldn't be making excuses. The injuries may not have been great, but even if we were completely healthy, I think we'd still have trouble with this team.
I agree that we would still have trouble, but with Damp down low I dont think we would have lossed the game last night.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #11
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree that Benga would have been a poor fit against Stoudamire - Benga would have fouled out in 5 minutes or so. But there is a chance that their athletic abilities might have cancelled each other out. I would have given it a shot at least. It's not like we were stopping them late in the 2nd quarter anyway.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
I agree that Benga would have been a poor fit against Stoudamire - Benga would have fouled out in 5 minutes or so. But there is a chance that their athletic abilities might have cancelled each other out. I would have given it a shot at least. It's not like we were stopping them late in the 2nd quarter anyway.
Exactly. So what if he fouls out in 5 minutes? What are we saving him for? Use his fouls and put someone out there who can physically match up with Stoudemire.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Harris & Bradley were our best players tonight and were the keys to our awesome comeback in the third period. Yet, Nellie inexplicably takes 'em out in the 4th which is when we actually lose the game. Come on, you don't lose at home with a 5 point lead in the 4th, especially coming from 15 behind in the 3rd.

Daniels seemed the most tired of all and he was left in the game to handle the point while Harris was easily the most energetic playmaker and he was taken out at the most inopportune time. We lost all our momentum there.

Likewise, Bradley was doing great anchoring the middle of the zone, harrassing & intimidating anyone that dare enter the paint. Yet, Nellie replaces him with a 6'9', slow and unathletic Henderson. And those few minutes got us several missed rebounds and easy layups & dunks for the Suns. If Nellie felt Bradley was tired, DJ would be the most logical substitution as someone who's 7', quick and athletic. He could have punished the Suns and at least put 'em on the line than give 'em easy layups or dunks.

Overall, to me this is nothing but a coaching loss, especially in the 4th quarter.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote