Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Terry...I wish. He is the one killing us every year.
These S.O.B.'s around here don't realize what they have.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:38 AM   #42
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

I agree-in the long run, this will pan out well for SA.

The potential new player from Portland will be a great addition--Pop will go nuts with his tenacity and Defense.

Now if we could somehow get Pietrus--that would be a solid summer for the Spurs FO.

For whatever reason, Scola and the Spurs just could not click. Frankly I think both he and his agent are jackasses. That hotheaded crap he was spewing out in the media is not the way to get things accomplished. I think he has a major chip on his shoulder and quite frankly would have to be slapped around back to reality--he did okay in the foreign leagues--but in Tim Duncan's backyard, Tim is the big dog--Scola is a small dog.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #43
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
For real. I will probably get flamed for this but I think JT has the biggest sack on the team. I don't think he is the best player, but I don't want the rock in his hands to decide a game against my team. That dude is wicked in the clutch....
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #44
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

No one denies that he has stones. The problem is that A) he doesn't have a lot of brains, and B) his stones are bigger than his game is.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #45
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I think Stack has bigger stones.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 AM   #46
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I like the idea of Udoka here. The Spurs already have their Bruce Bowen. Another one would just not be fair!
I believe the theory is that Udoka may be Bowen's ultimate replacement, and the Spurs are bringing him in now for Bowen to mentor

Until I see Scola in an NBA uniform, I'm viewing this trade as Butler for a draft pick & cash; with the Spurs and Rockets doing each other a favor and cutting out some foreign deadwood for each other

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #47
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Devin has some pretty big stones--I hope he's working on his 3 point game.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #48
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I like JET. I just don't think he has a place on this team unless its as 6th man. I don't think he should be sniffing starter minutes at the 2 or 1 spot. Its just the way the team is constructed.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #49
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I like JET. I just don't think he has a place on this team, even at 6th man - 10 million dollars??

Contact Me
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #50
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

Scola signed with Houston.

Scola will compete for ROY, mark my words.

; )

Last edited by Darke; 07-18-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #51
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Scola sucks, y'all. The marketplace would've brought him over sometime in the last FIVE years if he was any good.

Book it.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #52
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Scola sucks, y'all. The marketplace would've brought him over sometime in the last FIVE years if he was any good.

Book it.
why would spurs pay so much to be duncans backup?
he's not the greatest but with teams concentrating on Yao/Tmac he should do just fine.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #53
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Book it.
Not true. His buyout in previous years was as high as $15M, and you don't pay a huge chunk like that when your starting PF is Tim Duncan.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #54
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

wow, someone knows his stuff.^^
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #55
jmwilliamson

jmwilliamson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not true. His buyout in previous years was as high as $15M, and you don't pay a huge chunk like that when your starting PF is Tim Duncan.
And they couldn't have paid that chunk even if they wanted to. The NBA only allows teams to pay up to 500 thousand dollars on buyouts. Scola would have had to pay the other 14.5 million. Scola did not have anywhere near 14.5 million dollars, and no team wanted to sign him for anywhere near approaching the 14.5 million dollars it would take to make him break even from his buyout.
jmwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #56
canoner

canoner is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Book it.
Euro league first team, Spanish league MVP. That really sucks.
canoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #57
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think Scola has a chance to be good in this league but he wasn't going to be a starter nor get significant minutes with the Spurs. And even if the Spurs did want him his buyout situation was ridiculous for years. It was time to move only I thought they could get more for him.

The Spurs seem more sold on Splitter than they ever did on Scola. No doubt he'll be over next season.

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 07-21-2007 at 11:04 AM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #58
jmwilliamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
The Spurs seem more sold on Splitter than they ever did on Scola. No doubt he'll be over next season.
They do, and honestly that confuses me. It may be they know something we don't, but it may just be they think a young Tiago Splitter will be more satisfied with a limited role on a championship caliber team than a two time Spanish league MVP and gold medal winner. It's said that Scola is the second best player on team Argentina after Manu. If that's true, it's quite impressive as Andres Nocioni, Walter Hermann and Francisco Oberto are all on Team Argentina. What's more, all three of them had success in the NBA during their rookie campaigns. None of them were rookie of the year candidates, but they all were solid contributors to their respective teams. If Scola duplicates that success, the Rockets are going to be a very, very good team.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #59
kingmalaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilliamson
And they couldn't have paid that chunk even if they wanted to. The NBA only allows teams to pay up to 500 thousand dollars on buyouts. Scola would have had to pay the other 14.5 million. Scola did not have anywhere near 14.5 million dollars, and no team wanted to sign him for anywhere near approaching the 14.5 million dollars it would take to make him break even from his buyout.
Well they coulda bumped his salary, giving him more money to contribute to the buyout. But that makes no sense when yous starting PF is Tim Duncan.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #60
jmwilliamson

Quote:
Well they coulda bumped his salary, giving him more money to contribute to the buyout. But that makes no sense when yous starting PF is Tim Duncan.
Bumped his salary to what? 25 million over three years with 14.5 million of it coming up front? No. They couldn't have done that. And no team would do that for a player that has never played in the NBA.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:42 AM   #61
haywoodjay

haywoodjay is infamous around these partshaywoodjay is infamous around these partshaywoodjay is infamous around these partshaywoodjay is infamous around these parts

the spurs were in a bad situation and hadto get rid of scola asap.... the exhausted all other avenues and were pretty much forced to deal with the rockets; otherwise they would've lost scola for absolutely nothing.

give credit to rocket's GM morey for jumping on a desperate team and forcing the spurs hand... at that point, saving 7 or 8 million for the spurs was well worth the risk of improving a division rival.... especially for an unproven NBA player.
haywoodjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #62
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

Perhaps now, after the game against the US, some of you see how good Scola really is. He can and will help the Rockets from the beginning.
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #63
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Book it.
i haven't heard such an uneducated statement in a while.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #64
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't we go for Scola?...or was that not possible?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #65
alby
Guru

why didn't we do a lot of things ty... =\

Contact Me
Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #66
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Why didn't we go for Scola?...or was that not possible?
I would guess we could have gotten him, since all the Spurs wanted apparently was cap space. He's good, but maybe the Mavs wanted to hold out for more of a sure thing this season, like Webber. We had enough backup power forwards who might not cut it this season, between Pops, Bass, and Fazekas.

Last edited by DevinFuture; 09-04-2007 at 04:23 PM.
DevinFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #67
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinFuture
I would guess we could have gotten him, since all the Spurs wanted apparently was cap space. He's good, but maybe the Mavs wanted to hold out for more of a sure thing this season, like Webber. We had enough backup power forwards who might not cut it this season, between Pops, Bass, and Fazekas.
I'll give you rep for this post when the Mavs get Webber. =X

Until then... ... ...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #68
kingmalaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darke
Perhaps now, after the game against the US, some of you see how good Scola really is. He can and will help the Rockets from the beginning.
Yepper...I think he will be a good addition to our team. I don't think he will be a superstar or anything....but we started Chuck Hayes last year man....Chuck Hayes........
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #69
alby
Guru

scola should be starting with chuck getting significant minutes (tmac can play off guard while handling the ball the majority of the time, pg/tmac/battier/scola/yao)
houston has a really good team, if they stay healthy--with a new offense implemented by adelman, watch out...
but, until he gets out of the first round--tmac is still considered a choker in my book
with that being said, dallas is still a legitimate threat to win the midwest--just don't be surprised if houston finishes ahead of us
53 wins with tmac and yao hurt last year...

MFFL

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-05-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #70
ty
Diamond Member

Houston will be good. Freakin Rockettes.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #71
enervate

enervate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Yeah you should tie your 4 Larry Obrien trophies to your ankles and jump in the river.

You're champions.

Pretty please, no complaining.
ha ha ha!
enervate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #72
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Houston waived Butler today.