Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about
Default Jazz for real?

They are now 5-1and likely be 6-1 after todays game vs the Bucks.

They have a 20-12 Power Forward in Carlos Boozer.
They have a 18-8 Center in Mehmet Okur.
They have a 15-8 young PG in Deron Williams.
Solid bench with Fisher, Harpring, Brewer, and Collins. Not to mention one of better coaches in the NBA.

However, their top player, AK47, is struggling yet they are still winning games....

So is this Jazz team just off to a hot start, or are they for real.....im starting to think the latter.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think they are just off to a hot start, and will start to slow down by the All Star break. They'll have on ok second half and make the playoffs. Then I think they will lose in the first round of the playoffs, the furthest they'll get is the second round.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

i agree that this is just a hot start BUT i think the jazz will get consistently better and better over the next couple of seasons. they have a great young core, i think theyre missing some beef and grit though
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Wow, some-dude, you and I are on the same wavelength. I was thinking about starting a thread just like this earlier this morning. I think the greatest reason for optimism if you're a Jazz fan is that the kid Deron Williams seems to be figuring the NBA game out. Last night, he had something like 26 very efficient points to go along with 14 assists!
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

When the Jazz put their front line together(Boozer, AK47, Okur) , alot of people thought they were going to be great. It seems like last year Boozer just didn't play up to the monster year he had the year before. So if Boozer returns to form in a consistent way, then look out they will be tough. I am just not sure he really is the kind of player his numbers seem to suggest right now.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I think they are for reall...why not....if they make the playoffs and want it bad they can be dangerous...another team in the east thts off to a hot start is Atlanta and during the offseason i said they would make the playoffs....but not much else this year

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
When the Jazz put their front line together(Boozer, AK47, Okur) , alot of people thought they were going to be great. It seems like last year Boozer just didn't play up to the monster year he had the year before. So if Boozer returns to form in a consistent way, then look out they will be tough. I am just not sure he really is the kind of player his numbers seem to suggest right now.
that is the other guy that I think is very crucial for the Jazz to make a serious move this year. Good point..
Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Many analysts had the Jazz as good as a 4 seed, I thought they were idiots at first. If you look at the team, they look good in a lot of areas and AK-47 isn't playing well at all. This team could be for real, but only time will tell...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Before Boozer's injury (the year they signed him and Okur), they were off to a 7-0 or 8-0 start and were looking scary.

Now they have deron williams and derek fisher in the mix, and they are definitely going to make some noise in the west -- anyone who thought otherwise should have their head checked.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Jazz won again today to go to 6-1...AK got hurt again but it seems to be only a sprained ankle..

Nonetheless Boozer and Deron were huge again.

Boozer: 32-10
Deron: 27p-15a, 5 steals

Deron is starting to show himself as an elite PG in this league....id only have him behind Paul and Nash in the West.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

They have had a hot start in the past... I think they SHOULD be very good, but so far they haven't put it together for a significant stretch.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #12
some-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
They have had a hot start in the past... I think they SHOULD be very good, but so far they haven't put it together for a significant stretch.
The thing is, in the past they didnt have Deron Williams or a healthy Boozer. Back then AK carried them by himself and they were a good team. When he went down, they began to struggle.....

I think this years Jazz is for real. It wouldnt surprise me if they ended with between 50-55 wins.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #13
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

BTW, Kirilenko's ankle sprain is SEVERE..he's a very fragile, wiry guy..This could keep him out a while.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #14
some-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
BTW, Kirilenko's ankle sprain is SEVERE..he's a very fragile, wiry guy..This could keep him out a while.
According to reports after the game he sprained it pretty bad, but during the game the Jazz radio announceer said they were keepin him out because it was a blow-out and if needed, he woulda been in there...I guess he was stretching the truth.

Nonetheless the Jazz have only one game next 5 days so he'll prolly sit out that one, but hopefully return soon after...
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Hopefully it's not for long, but I expect them to be real cautious with it. They are off to a great start, so no reason to bring him back too soon.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Are the Jazz for real?

No.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #17
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

it remains to be seen whether the Jazz can stay healthy throughout an entire season...Boozer hasn't been healthy since he moved to the Jazz, and AK-47 has not (to my recollection) ever made it through an entire season. If those two can stay relatively healthy, I think they can make the playoffs pretty easily this year.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
some-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cwebb
it remains to be seen whether the Jazz can stay healthy throughout an entire season...Boozer hasn't been healthy since he moved to the Jazz, and AK-47 has not (to my recollection) ever made it through an entire season. If those two can stay relatively healthy, I think they can make the playoffs pretty easily this year.
2001: 82 Games
2002: 80 Games
2003: 78 Games
2004: 41 Games
2005: 69 Games
---------------

So he's played in 350/410 games. Not the best, but he has never required a major surgery. He had a freak broken wrist, and then Sprained Ankles falling on the opposing team's 3rd string point guard (Pargo, Udrih). He'll be ok...
Old 11-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
jleefilled
Platinum Member

well, losing Kirilenko will obviously not help their cause at all.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #20
some-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
well, losing Kirilenko will obviously not help their cause at all.
They are now 3-0 without Kirilenko improving their record to 9-1.

Deron Williams looks like he has caught up, if not passed up, Chris Paul for best young PG in the league......the kid is absolutely relentless, leading the Jazz from down 16 in the 4th....he simply refuses to lose. And Boozer had yetanother doulble-dub with 22-16...

When does it stop becoming "still early" to call them a contender?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by some-dude
When does it stop becoming "still early" to call them a contender?
A week or two ago.

Get used to it. The Jazz look like a top-four team.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 AM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

It's not silly to call them a contender, but I don't know about them winning it all. They could go to the second round of the playoffs at the very least.

And Chum, who would your top 4 be then in order?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
It's not silly to call them a contender, but I don't know about them winning it all. They could go to the second round of the playoffs at the very least.

And Chum, who would your top 4 be then in order?
Probably SAS, UTA, DAL, LAC.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 AM   #24
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Probably SAS, UTA, DAL, LAC.
No Rockets? Jazz over Mavs?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

I was considering seeding, with an eye toward the Spurs winning the division and the Mavs edging the Rockets.

But yes, the Jazz are very much for real. It's past time to consider them a novelty act.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #26
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
I was considering seeding, with an eye toward the Spurs winning the division and the Mavs edging the Rockets.

But yes, the Jazz are very much for real. It's past time to consider them a novelty act.
I didn't say they weren't for real, but saying they are better than the Mavs? Do you mean just for now, or at the end of the season as well?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

I think they'll have a better record. For what that's worth.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #28
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Not quite sure about the contender bit, I still think it might be a little early for that. But as far as playoffs go, I think they are a lock as long as they remain healthy.

But wow, Deron Williams has been amazing. He's already had four games of at least 14 assists.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:09 AM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

They are a lock for the playoffs, no doubt. But I wouldn't call them a top contender, a 60 win team, or having a better record than the Mavs yet.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

How much do you need to see? We are getting close to 15% of way through the season.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #31
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
How much do you need to see? We are getting close to 15% of way through the season.
If they play this well all the way to the All-Star break while somehow staying healthy, I'll be convinced. I will not, at all this season, be convinced they are better than the Mavs unless they revery to the play that started them off 0-4.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 AM   #32
jleefilled
Platinum Member

To be considered a contender? Honestly, I think I'll have to see them perform in the playoffs unless they really do win sixty-plus during the season.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 AM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

You wouldn't be good at exit polling.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #34
jleefilled
Platinum Member

The school of hardknocks and disrespect taught me Chum. I think this is the first year the Mavs have ever been considered a legit contender.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #35
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
To be considered a contender? Honestly, I think I'll have to see them perform in the playoffs unless they really do win sixty-plus during the season.
Exactly the way I feel. They are playing very very well right now, but my opinion is that they won't be able to keep it up all season. They are a lock for the playoffs though.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 AM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
The school of hardknocks and disrespect taught me Chum. I think this is the first year the Mavs have ever been considered a legit contender.
You'd think so, but I don't see it yet. If anything, I think the Mavs are presently seen as PREtenders.

But of course, these things evolve over time. If they are within a couple games of the conference lead at the halfway point, people will recognize.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:55 AM   #37
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Chummy, you are being way too pessimistic lately. The Mavs have won 5 straight, and are looking MUCH better than they did in their first 4. They are improving steadily in any game. You need to have some more faith man

Old 11-19-2006, 04:11 AM   #38
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
You'd think so, but I don't see it yet. If anything, I think the Mavs are presently seen as PREtenders.

But of course, these things evolve over time. If they are within a couple games of the conference lead at the halfway point, people will recognize.
Do they really evolve or is it w/o a championship, forever the pretender? I think the latter may very well be the case.

As far as the Jazz go, I have to lighten up my stance. If that team made the playoffs, I wouldn't want the Mavs to face them, and as such, they must be somewhat the contender.

Last edited by jleefilled; 11-19-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

When something like last year happens, you are--unfortunately--going to wear the "pretender" mantle until you prove otherwise. Champions don't get undressed four games in a row. Sad but true, and I'm pretty certain Avery Johnson wouldn't argue otherwise.

Nashty, I'll be pessimistic on the Mavs all the way up until they demonstrate that they can get over the hump that still blocks them. As of late, they have been beating up on some weak opposition.

As for the Jazz, Sloan is a very, very good coach--maybe the best in the league--and so that team must be given credit. Their start is not a fluke. Especially with AK47 being out. It is not beyond the imagination that they could be the best team in the conference if they were fully healthy.

Longtime Mavs watchers know how pesky the Jazz can be.

Last edited by chumdawg; 11-19-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #40
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Chum, you do know that there is a "have fun" element to being a fan right? All you do is look for the bad in things.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote