Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default High-powered forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne have signed one-year contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, a source

Thursday, July 3

Stars sign one-year deals; Kariya takes big paycut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

DENVER -- High-powered forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne have signed one-year contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, a source within the NHL told The Associated Press.

When a move like this is made, it makes your jaw drop. This is a good move for the Avalanche for two reasons:

One, they've added two world-class players in Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne. Everyone in the NHL knows how good they are and how good they are together. They're great players on and off the ice, limiting any concerns about character issues.

Second, this gives Colorado the chance to shuffle some of its other assets. It's now possible for the Avs to use Martin Skoula and Steve Reinprecht as trade bait to address needs like adding more depth to the blue line or acquiring a top-flight goaltender.

But this isn't as bad as it may seem for the Mighty Ducks, who knew Kariya was gone. Although Kariya is a terrific player, Anaheim's position has been that one player isn't bigger than the team and it takes more than Kariya for the team to win. Unless Anaheim was going to add another player, it'd be difficult for Kariya to put up the kind of numbers he's used to.

Fantasy outlook: Avs rich

The signing of the unrestricted free agents, which reunites two of the top forwards in the league, was to be announced at a 4 p.m. ET news conference on Thursday.

In five years together in Anaheim, Selanne and Kariya were linemates and prolific scorers for the Mighty Ducks. Selanne was traded to San Jose in March 2001.

Kariya, who played with the Mighty Ducks last season, agreed to a $1.2 million contract, according to the league source who spoke Thursday to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Selanne, who declined his option at $6.5 million with the Sharks, agreed to a $5.8 million contract with Colorado, the source said.

The source said Kariya had specific reasons for signing the relatively low contract figure, but did not elaborate. Selanne was not expected to be at the news conference, remaining in his homeland of Finland.

Kariya, a left wing, had six goals and six assists over 21 games this postseason, helping lead the Mighty Ducks to the NHL finals, where they lost to New Jersey in seven games.

The seven-time All-Star has played his entire career in Anaheim, where he was a team leader. He became an unrestricted free agent Monday night when the Ducks declined to make him a qualifying offer, refusing to match the $10 million he made last season.

Kariya played in all 82 games for the second consecutive year, and had 25 goals and 56 points. He holds a string of team records, including most career goals (300) and assists (369).

Selanne had 28 goals and 64 points last season, leading the team in both categories while improving his two-way game and physical play. He was named the team's most valuable player.

In declining his option, Selanne believed he could make more money on the free-agent market.

He was one of the most attractive scorers available this summer, although it was unlikely he could get a lucrative long-term deal with the expiration of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement looming in September

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: High-powered forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne have signed one-year contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, a source

the avs should be tough next year.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default High-powered forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne have signed one-year contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, a source

That $1.2 mil is really weird. I wonder what's going on there. I also think it's kind of a "SCREW YOU" to the Ducks. He stuck with them all this time, they go to the Finals, & what do they do? Turn around & ask him to take a pay cut. I'd leave too.

Colorado looks good now, but it'll be really interesting to see what happens in a year when both of them plus Sakic AND Forsberg all run out of contract.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Default RE: High-powered forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne have signed one-year contracts with the Colorado Avalanche, a source

true, ames. they will have a hard time keeping it together after this season. but i am worried about them for next year still.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #5
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

cross that bridge when it comes. giddyup!! i am excited for next year, the avs are by far my favorite hockey team. my jaw literally dropped when i saw this headline on ESPN.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

boooooooooo.

GO STARS!!
Old 07-04-2003, 01:29 AM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Here's the stunning part: this was all Kariya & Selanne's idea! They're former teammates, buddies, & represented by the same agent. Since they were both FAs, they got together & basically pointed at where they wanted to go to have a shot at the Cup next year. Their agent called the Avs GM & said they'd both take cuts to get one-yr deals. That's just freaking ridiculous.

The Avs are going to be FAR better this year than last, provided they can find a goalie. Of course they're going to have serious issues next summer when basically their entire team becomes FAs, but still, they look absolutely incredible now. The West is going to be tough next year, but I have faith. The Stars will prevail. [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

actually, i am kinda surprised that players don't do that kind of thing more often.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

Oh no, I would hate that. That's no fun at all. Changing players every year, you never get to know them very well, that would suck. Kariya & Selanne know they aren't going to get real long-term deals this year, they probably figured that this was the easiest way to have a good shot at the Cup now & then deal with the owners after they figure out the CBA thing. If you think about it, Detroit may have majorly screwed themselves over by giving Hatcher a 5-yr deal. But it still sucks right now for us.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

no that's not exactly what i meant. i meant i am surprised that players (friends) don't decide to go somewhere for a paycut in hopes of winning a cut.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:22 PM   #11
ames7
Diamond Member

I think most players, at least the good ones that teams look for, do try to do that. Thus why Dallas is an attractive place for FAs--we are (were) perenial contenders. But the Kariya/Selanne thing is still very strange b/c of how much of a cut they took, particularly Kariya. But like I said, I think he really is bitter at Anaheim. Everyone expected both of them to sign there, but they didn't even extend a qualifying offer to him. This is Kariya's "F the Ducks."

On a side note, I read that the same agent who represents Kariya & Selanne also represents Forsberg AND Sakic. Jeez. He's going to be busy next summer.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:26 PM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

well i guess it is more understandable because of what the ducks did. i can't believe they didn't even give him an offer.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:38 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

The Ducks are ungrateful idiots. They think just b/c Kariya didn't score all the goals in their little miracle run that he wasn't essential. Having him out there changes how the opposition plays against them. It's just like how Modano doesn't have to scoring the goal to influence how the other team play when he's on the ice. And Kariya's a loyal guy, he's been w/the Ducks for 9 yrs, through all that time when they were a joke. They cut him loose. He has every right to go elsewhere. Just watch, there is no way the Ducks will be nearly as good without him. I've said before I think Giguere is a good goalie, not a great one. I'm predicting a season of mediocracy for them next year.