Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default is this normal?

I went to the doctor this afternoon because I have had problems with my shoulder. He gave me a steroid shot (ouch!! not a fun shot to have!). A few minutes ago I was unloading the dishwasher and I had two plates in my left hand. As I was reaching up to put them in the cabinet, I could not raise my left arm any higher than about neck level. It didn't hurt. It just literally would not go any higher. I'm completely freaking out right now. I got online to see if I could find any info about side effects of the shot, but I couldn't find anything that described what's happening to me. Anyone know anything about this?? This sucks.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps your biceps have gotten so huge from the steroid shot that you can't lift your arm up that high?

Just kidding. I am afraid I can be no help. I bet Doc could.....
Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I went to the doctor this afternoon because I have had problems with my shoulder. He gave me a steroid shot (ouch!! not a fun shot to have!). A few minutes ago I was unloading the dishwasher and I had two plates in my left hand. As I was reaching up to put them in the cabinet, I could not raise my left arm any higher than about neck level. It didn't hurt. It just literally would not go any higher. I'm completely freaking out right now. I got online to see if I could find any info about side effects of the shot, but I couldn't find anything that described what's happening to me. Anyone know anything about this?? This sucks.
Go to www.webmd.com
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

just taking a shot (edit: no pun intended) in the dark, but since you said the shot hurt, maybe your left shoulder is either sore/bruised or swollen from the shot making it difficult to do certain movements with your left arm.

I'm probably wrong since you said that there is no pain.

Last edited by jleefilled; 01-11-2007 at 12:40 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Does it feel kind of like--after you lift weights---then you go home and you can't even wash your hair b/c you can't lift your arms above your head? The shot might have had the same kind of effect.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Raef- Is your shoulder situation related to bursitis or tendonitis? Perhaps you have a rotator cuff injury? Also, did you receive a corticosteroid shot? Did your physician say anthing about a subacromial space injection (I am guessing this is what you had).

Just off the top of my head, you may have some pressure on a nerve. This will pass. Without some answers I am only able guess and it could be number of things.....all but one minor (don't freak out abot the one...not likely).

Anyways...I am betting you received a corticosteroid and it had a minor side effect. If you are worried call your doctor back first thing tomorrow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Does it feel kind of like--after you lift weights---then you go home and you can't even wash your hair b/c you can't lift your arms above your head? The shot might have had the same kind of effect.
That's *kind of* what I said. So if that's what it feels like I'm taking all the credit.

Well, never mind... there's nothing to take credit for.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Raef- Is your shoulder situation related to bursitis or tendonitis? Perhaps you have a rotator cuff injury? Also, did you receive a corticosteroid shot? Did your physician say anthing about a subacromial space injection (I am guessing this is what you had).

Just off the top of my head, you may have some pressure on a nerve. This will pass. Without some answers I am only able guess and it could be number of things.....all but one minor (don't freak out abot the one...not likely).

Anyways...I am betting you received a corticosteroid and it had a minor side effect. If you are worried call your doctor back first thing tomorrow.
^^^^What he said.

I'd really be concerned with the subacromial thingy and making sure it was corticosteroid stuff.....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-11-2007 at 12:54 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
That's *kind of* what I said. So if that's what it feels like I'm taking all the credit.

Well, never mind... there's nothing to take credit for.

Sorry, U2.. you can have all the credit for that one.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Both of you owe me $500 vbucks for my services. Raef gets this one for free.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Ummm.. you're welcome to it, Doc...Good luck with that!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It's going to be a cold cold day in Hell before I ever get 500 vBucks again.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #13
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Just don't send Rocky out to collect.. I will bust him up.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Am I the only one wondering what in the flipping hell that is in Doc's new avatar?

Is that like a robot dude on a ramp?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

It's the frenchie in Monty Python's Holy Grail. The guy who says "I fart in your general direction".

Maybe this one would be better....

Last edited by Drbio; 01-11-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
It's the frenchie in Monty Python's Holy Grail. The guy who says "I fart in your general direction".
SWEET!!!!!!

I love that movie.

Back on topic: Hey raef, does it hurt if you have your husband lift your arm higher? If it does, I bet Doc can give you more advice that I'll try to take credit for.....
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #17
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Sorry Raef for the hijack.. We really do care about your well being.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #18
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I got bit by a brown recluse a few years about 8 years ago. I went to the doctor and he gave me steroids, instead of clearing up my whole body(from my neck to the tops of my feet) turned into a bright purple rash. I was miserable for 4 months and almost died. Steroids effect everyone differently. My suggestion is when a doctor suggests them get a second opinion.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

corticosteroids are a well used safe tretment. Some people experience side effects but they are rare which is why I suggested that raef contact her physician again if she feels worried. But they are overwhelmingly safe.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
I got bit by a brown recluse a few years about 8 years ago. I went to the doctor and he gave me steroids, instead of clearing up my whole body(from my neck to the tops of my feet) turned into a bright purple rash. I was miserable for 4 months and almost died. Steroids effect everyone differently. My suggestion is when a doctor suggests them get a second opinion.
And if this advice helps you I would suggest the same thing.... therefore I will take credit for this as well.

Sorry rmacomic..... but that's how I roll.

Isn't naproxin sodium supposed to help in that kind of stuff?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

It is naproxen sodium (an analgesic) and you do realize that is Aleve right?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #22
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I hope Raef is alive...I would hate to be talking shit about this situation and she is on the floor beside the computer typing her last words.. RAEFFFFF!!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

u2 is in rare form tonight.

but I suppose he's already taken credit for that too

Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #24
Nemesis
Diamond Member

U2 is getting his bong on tonight.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #25
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
It is naproxen sodium (an analgesic) and you do realize that is Aleve right?
Yes...... I knew that. And after reading nemesis's post I'm feeling really bad right now.

But I thought Aleve (naproxen sodium - sorry for the mis-spell) was for joint stuff. I was thinking if she was having trouble lifting her arms perhaps that might help.

But I'm no Doctor, even though I will make every attempt to get others to think I am by piggybacking off of other people's suggestions.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Aleve is an anti-inflammatory providing similar benefits as Tylenol, aspirin, etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #27
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Never mind about the naproxen sodium thing. I swore my brother told me that was for joints when I was taking some for a headache. According to their website it's good for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid website with actual facts
What is ALEVE effective for?

* minor pain of arthritis
* headache
* muscular aches
* toothache
* backache
* common cold
* menstrual cramps
* temporarily reduces fever
So I am forwarding this to my brother right now in an e-mail so I can say I told you so.... of course he will probably reply with some quip about I was probably taking it for menstrual cramps....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-11-2007 at 01:30 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #28
Drbio
Banned

I heard that u2sarajevo takes black market Motrin.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #29
Drbio
Banned

I'm out....best wishes raeffy.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #30
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

omigosh, you guys are hysterical! and nemesis, that pretty accurately describes the feeling I'm having (the weights description). I couldn't even lift a 20 oz coke last night. it was bizarre. this morning it is better, but I still can't lift heavier things. I took a muscle relaxer last night, so maybe that helped. I'll take another when I get to work, and then call the doctor if I don't see more improvement. maybe I overreacted, but that was the WEIRDEST feeling I've ever had. I just couldn't move my arm. my doctor is fairly old, and I kept thinking the worst, like that he paralyzed me or something.

I woke up this morning and saw 28 responses to this thread and just knew I would probably be laughing while reading the responses. thanks for not disappointing!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I know him so well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo's brother who think's he's funnny
Oh! So you were on the rag.....
Old 01-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #32
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Yes...... I knew that. And after reading nemesis's post I'm feeling really bad right now.

But I thought Aleve (naproxen sodium - sorry for the mis-spell) was for joint stuff. I was thinking if she was having trouble lifting her arms perhaps that might help.

But I'm no Doctor, even though I will make every attempt to get others to think I am by piggybacking off of other people's suggestions.
Really? We couldn't tell

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote