Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Gammons Diamond Notes-Rangers

What agents and players are finding out is that things are going to be very different with the Texas Rangers from now on. "John Hart, not the agents, are running the show," said one Ranger official. "Tom Hicks is now on board with everything John wants to do. If anyone thought he could get in between Tom and John, he's mistaken, because things have been addressed and everything is going to be right."
Carl Everett, who, along with Ugie Urbina, is a veteran they wanted to keep for the rest of the season (just not in center field, please), is gone. They would like to move Juan Gonzalez and Rafael Palmeiro, and insist on top dollar for Urbina. "We've got things shaping up for a pretty good young team," said Buck Showalter. "I told Alex (Rodriguez), 'we're going to get a bunch of guys just like you -- gym rats who care about playing and winning."

They already have the makings of one of the best young infields in the game, with Michael Young, Hank Blalock and Mark Teixeira. Ramon Nivar (who was previously known as Ramon Martinez, enabling him to skip through the Rule V draft) has gotten off to a terrific start in center field in Triple-A. Right fielder Laynce Nix is knocking on the door and Showalter's fascinated by Double-A right-hander Jose Dominguez.

We're going to have the right kind of team," said Showalter. "It will take a little time, but we'll get it right."
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gammons Diamond Notes-Rangers

You know this is comforting, but I think Hart has made some iffy decisions. Most of which I believe you can attribute to him trying to win now, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I truly think Buck is a very good manager and will be able to have us changing our thinking about our team next year.

At least I hope.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hart is a franchise wrecker. I hope that having Fuson behind him is tempering the typical crap related moves he is well known for. Maybe Fuson will be GM soon. At least we can hope.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ramon Nivar (who was previously known as Ramon Martinez, enabling him to skip through the Rule V draft)
what does this mean?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The name change confused other teams. As a result he slid through the Rule V darft unclaimed.

The Rule V draft allows teams to draft players from other teams that are not on the 40 man roster. In essence, you can draft minor league guys with good potential. The catch is that you must keep the player that you draft on your 25 man roster all year or offer him back to the original team for $25,000.

Rule V allows teams to steal away promising players but they have to fast track the player and keep him in the majors. Very few Rule V guys stay on a team all year long. Usually, trades are worked out for the player when he is sent packing from the major league team. If he is worth drafting, he is usually protected by the original teams 40 man roster. Still...some guys have been claimed in this way and turned out to be good players. You just never know.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:08 AM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Gammons Diamond Notes-Rangers

ahh, very interesting. never knew anything about it.