Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #161
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Really?

We lost Nelson who was one of our worst +/- guys and replaced him with an allstar, and 2-time NBA defensive first team
Well, let's hope that we did indeed, replace him with that guy.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #162
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

When I first heard about this I was against it. Then I had mixed feelings. Now I'm totally on board with it.

Lets kick some ass.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #163
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

I am having wet dreams about him coming over to Dallas.

I am hyped up about this ****
Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #164
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

After watching some Rondo highlights I expect Tyson to soon average 3 slam dunks off Rondo alley oops per game. Parsons and Dirk will drain open 3s like there is no tomorrow. Not sure about Ellis, though, will probably have to get used to less ball-handling duties.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #165
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be amused during gdt when he starts clanking free throws. I just cannot get over my starting point shooting 30% at the charity stripe. It will be interesting for sure to see what he spends his time on the court doing while monta handles the ball so much during crunch time.

i may have watched about 10 minutes total of this dude and watching how rick handles it will definitely be worth paying attention too.

Has any coach dealt with such a potential change in offensive philosophy as rick is about to do mid-season?

I got my popcorn ready.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 12-19-2014 at 08:19 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #166
Oberon

Oberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of lightOberon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
After watching some Rondo highlights I expect Tyson to soon average 3 slam dunks off Rondo alley oops per game. Parsons and Dirk will drain open 3s like there is no tomorrow. Not sure about Ellis, though, will probably have to get used to less ball-handling duties.
Rondo is soo good at finding open men, it seems that people almost forget about that fact when talking about all his liabilities. Rondo is a guy that makes other players around him look better. Dirk and Parsons will get good looks while Chandler will get lots of opportunities to dunk and dunk and dunk (unfortunately we are now going to miss Wrights dunking abilities, he would have worked well with Rondo).

Now with that it all comes down to Carlisle whether Rondo and the other Mavs can make use of their full potential. There is no doubt that this roster has an abundance of talent but Rondo doesn't solve all the problems (we still need one or two good defenders) and his inconsistent shooting may add another one. Carlisle needs to adjust his role a little bit to make it work I guess. He can't be as dominant as in Boston where he basically ran the whole offense but has to share some of the ball-handling responsibilities with Ellis (Harris) and Parsons.

I also think adding another great shooter (especially long range) like Allen would be awesome for this team. If you have Rondo or Ellis driving to the basket, with Chandler inside and guys like Dirk, Parsons or Allen at the perimeter... ugh that would be a nightmare for any defense.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #167
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Im curious how RC gonna tweak the rotation. Im pretty sure Monta will run the 2nd unit everytime Rondo sits. So thats probably allready ~16min with Monta as primary ballhandler.

My first guess would be that he pulls Rondo early in the 1st and 3rd with Dirk together...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #168
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Something to think about with Wright. He looked amazing on offense this year, BUT that was against scrub Eastern Conference teams. He had no highlight reels against SA, MEM, GS etc. Perhaps his highlight reels against the Eastern Conference teams upped his perceived value to Ainge and that pushed this deal over the top. Maybe he will get better, but perhaps we traded him with the absolute best value we will ever get for him. Perhaps Crowder will do better out in Boston. His minutes were always going to be limited playing for Carlisle. With that in mind, he's better off being traded for a starter. At the end of the day, we can find people easily to fill in the roles that Wright and Crowder played. No mention of Nelson because the guy sucked. We really have nothing to lose in this deal sitting at #6 in possibly the toughest conference that I can ever remember.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #169
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #170
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I have mixed feelings on the trade for now. I love Rondo's game and I've always loved his toughness. However, I'm really worried about how he and Monta are going to mesh together. Both Rondo and Monta aren't very good three point shooters, which is why its always been important for them to have a good 3point shooter next to them in the backcourt (Think of Rondo/Ray Allen or Jose Calderon/Monta Ellis). But now we're going to pair two guys who both play their best when the ball is in their hands. Man, I think this is risky, especially considering we already had the best offense in the league. I hope Rick can make this work somehow.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #171
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie Sefko just said on the radio "Jameer Nelson was having a terrible year". And Sefko is NOT someone to say something like that lightly.

That should give you some insight into how the Mavs felt about Jameer this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #172
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The more I think about this deal, the more I'm amazed how some people see this as some huge risk for the Mavs. For a major upgrade at our weakest position, this is about the lowest risk move I can think of. Even if Rondo completely flops, it's not like we're stuck with him. We just let him walk in the offseason and with the money we save we can chase whoever else we want. Worst cast scenario, we're right back where we were before the trade anyway, at least as far as PG is concerned. And we weren't legit title contenders anyway, so what do we really have to lose here?

Losing Wright is a bummer, but let's not act like he's the difference between being a championship contender and not being one. And we're in "win now" mode, draft picks really don't do us any good. The only major downside I see here is that if Rondo doesn't pan out, we don't have much to work with in the way of trade assets, but such is the case with pretty much any major trade. Throw in the added possibility that we may re-acquire Wright in the offseason, and it becomes clear that the Mavs are taking pretty minimal risks here.
I don't agree. If he walks in the offseason, we don't have any money saved to do anything else with it. With the way Tyson is playing, he's going to demand a major contract, and we won't have any cap room. It's very likely that we will operate over the cap for the forseeable future.

So they just gave up they're only non-core player that can be viewed as a trade asset. And they gave up a pick that is going to end up being a 2016 pick. Meaning they won't have a near-future pick to give up in a trade this offseason or next trade deadline.

Make no mistake, if this flops, the Mavs are stuck for the foreseeable future. That's the risk.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #173
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I have mixed feelings on the trade for now. I love Rondo's game and I've always loved his toughness. However, I'm really worried about how he and Monta are going to mesh together. Both Rondo and Monta aren't very good three point shooters, which is why its always been important for them to have a good 3point shooter next to them in the backcourt (Think of Rondo/Ray Allen or Jose Calderon/Monta Ellis). But now we're going to pair two guys who both play their best when the ball is in their hands. Man, I think this is risky, especially considering we already had the best offense in the league. I hope Rick can make this work somehow.
come on guys, how many 3point shots did jameer take?lets say that he'd shoot 5 or 6 in his better games, and would make 4 when he was on and 1 or 2 on his worst games, 3point shot is cp's thing, devin/jj/jefferson/aminu and then u can mesh up monta and rajon's shot, monta is shooting 31%from behind the arc and rajon is 26%(jameer was 36%)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #174
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

so as i see A lot of people talking how jameer is better than rajon (unbelievable), here u go some facts for ur asses

i think is pretty clear who the better player with more solid numbers is,lets remember that rajon lost a few weeks at the beginning of the season due to a broken hand
Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #175
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure no one actually said Nelson was better than Rondo. My argument is that Nelson's 3-point shooting makes him a better fit next to Monta Ellis.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #176
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Read something on the clutch fans board that I thought was spot on by Zboy.
Quote:
"If you are Dallas, there is NO WAY you do NOT pull the trigger on this one, even if there is less than 50-50 chance of it making you better. Why?

Because they gave up very little! The picks arent that important to the Mavs. They need to contend now, while Dirk can still play.

They lost none of their starters. They lost Wright, who was a good backup big for them, but if that means you get Rondo, you DO it. Every single time.

Mavs biggest weakness was the PG and they address that weakness by giving up very little.

The biggest asset that Rondo brings to the Mavs team is what Kidd brought to them when the won the championship. Kidd distributed the ball and let the players do their thing. Rondo will be executing Carlisle plays now while Dirk , Ellis, Parsons, can come off screens, catch the ball, and make plays for themselves.

You could criticize the Mavs for making this trade if they had to break up their core, but they didnt!

As for the argument, "well if Chandler gets injured...."....

....that applies for EVERY team!! Weak argument to make yourself feel better.

Imagine the problem [insert team here] would be in if [insert contributing player here] got injured. If Chandler got injured, they werent going anywhere with Brandon Wright to begin with.

Excellent trade for the Mavs.

PS. A year ago, we were contemplating Parsons or Rondo. A year later, Mavs have BOTH while Rockets got nothing in return for Parsons. Just saying...."

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 12-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #177
ffballer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure no one actually said Nelson was better than Rondo. My argument is that Nelson's 3-point shooting makes him a better fit next to Monta Ellis.
maybe but there's only a 5% difference between them shooting the 3, and that would be what one or two shots on a game, i'll take the risk
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #178
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Eddie Sefko just said on the radio "Jameer Nelson was having a terrible year". And Sefko is NOT someone to say something like that lightly.

That should give you some insight into how the Mavs felt about Jameer this year.
Pretty sure Jameer knew it too, but didn't seem to take his poor play seriously. He'd suit up and keep giving the ole okey dokey over and over again...like that play was somehow acceptable.

Wonder if the Celts waive him and if he possibly goes to Houston or somewhere else.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #179
ffballer

i recommend y'all read this, thats how i pretty much felt when tyson left on 2011
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/rajo...llas-mavericks
Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #180
ffballer

hey vitor faverani got waived as well... mmmh we could pick him up as well for a few bucks..
Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #181
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/li...n-rondo-trade/

also http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ra...las-mavericks/

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 12-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #182
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffballer View Post
maybe but there's only a 5% difference between them shooting the 3, and that would be what one or two shots on a game, i'll take the risk
Seriously?! Nelson is a 37% 3PT shooter for his career. Rondo shoots a whopping 25% from downtown for his career. Even though Nelson was struggling this year teams still know he is a knock-down 3PT shooter and that completely changed the way teams had to defend the Mavs.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #183
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Pretty sure Jameer knew it too, but didn't seem to take his poor play seriously. He'd suit up and keep giving the ole okey dokey over and over again...like that play was somehow acceptable.

Wonder if the Celts waive him and if he possibly goes to Houston or somewhere else.
You can't "take your poor play seriously" in the NBA. You just gotta play the best you know how in every minute you get. If coach gives you more minutes than fans feel like you deserve, you just keep playing confidently and as hard as you know how to.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #184
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunate for Jameer. Go from lottery to contender to lottery in a span of 5 months
Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #185
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

i love rajon rondo
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #186
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

How soon cand Rondo play for us?

Does he have to wait until the guys we traded to Boston pass physicals or something?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #187
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Unfortunate for Jameer. Go from lottery to contender to lottery in a span of 5 months
The FO really had no patience with the guy. Yes, he played poorly but he should have been given more time to turn things around imho.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #188
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The FO really had no patience with the guy. Yes, he played poorly but he should have been given more time to turn things around imho.
Based on what exactly? And he was needed to make the salaries work.

I actually thought he was getting worse as games went on. Had a good game against Memphis but seems for not since we lost anyway.

Also, I think he was starting to get more and more injury prone. He missed four games recently due to injury.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #189
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He would have gotten it, I'm sure if a far superior PG wasn't available in the trade.

I was defending Nelson, because it takes a long time to learn a new system, particularly for guards. Tyson worked so well from the beginning because center is pretty easy to learn and he's played here before. Parsons even had troubles, and he's a forward. Nelson just needed more time to reach his potential.

HOWEVER his upside was that he could potentially become a low-end starter/high-end backup AT BEST. His potential is utterly and completely dwarfed by Rondo's. Nelson is small, not particularly quick, not particularly good at creating, not particularly strong with court vision, poor defensively, and not an amazing shooter. His one allstar appearance six years ago seems to be long ago for a guy who has fallen off a lot.

Nelson
2009 allstar backup

Rondo
2008 champion
2010 allstar
2011 allstar
2012 allstar
2013 allstar
2009 defensive second team
2010 defensive first team
2011 defensive first team
2012 defensive second team
2012 assist leader
2013 assist leader

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-19-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #190
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't agree. If he walks in the offseason, we don't have any money saved to do anything else with it. With the way Tyson is playing, he's going to demand a major contract, and we won't have any cap room. It's very likely that we will operate over the cap for the forseeable future.

So they just gave up they're only non-core player that can be viewed as a trade asset. And they gave up a pick that is going to end up being a 2016 pick. Meaning they won't have a near-future pick to give up in a trade this offseason or next trade deadline.

Make no mistake, if this flops, the Mavs are stuck for the foreseeable future. That's the risk.
The pressure's really going to be on the front office in the offseason. The Mavs have all but committed themselves to a core of Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and TC + Devin for the rest of Dirk's career, and as many as 3 out of the top 5 in that list will be free agents next summer. I don't expect a repeat of the post-championship summer (no lockout, more room to spend up, the core isn't aging out, and the PR storm would be overwhelming), but I will be nervous.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #191
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker View Post
i love rajon rondo
And d-m.com loves you, toine.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #192
ActionJackson

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The pressure's really going to be on the front office in the offseason. The Mavs have all but committed themselves to a core of Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and TC + Devin for the rest of Dirk's career, and as many as 3 out of the top 5 in that list will be free agents next summer. I don't expect a repeat of the post-championship summer (no lockout, more room to spend up, the core isn't aging out, and the PR storm would be overwhelming), but I will be nervous.
Very true. I wonder about Tyson's salary next season. He's having such a great season. He'll be getting good offers.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #193
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
And d-m.com loves you, toine.
I'm just happy that Walker can still afford a computer.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #194
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I could not disagree with this more strongly.

1) They let him continue to start throughout his stay in Dallas despite the fact that there were two point guards playing behind him who were exponentially more effective. If that isn't patience I don't know what is.

2) This trade had to happen now. Wait even a week and it wouldn't be on the table anymore (Boston reportedly wanted to have the flexibility to re-package players they got in other trades and the trade deadline is, I think, Feb 19).

3) The team needs all the time it can get to integrate Rondo into the mix. Even if the trade were available at the deadline, waiting would have only hurt the Mavs chances at developing chemistry with their new foundation piece in the starting lineup.

4) Setting aside the issue of patient and timing, trust me when I say that Jameer is a distant 4th when it comes to picking which one of the 3 guys Dallas traded away they're going to lose the most sleep over. There is no world in which an uptick in his play could have convinced the Mavs not to do this deal.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #195
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Give me a friggin' break... In his final game as a Maverick, Nelson had 0 points and 0 assists in 26 minutes.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #196
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Give me a friggin' break... In his final game as a Maverick, Nelson had 0 points and 0 assists in 26 minutes.
I'm all but convinced that that was a showcase game. They wanted to reassure Boston that trading for Jameer wouldn't help them win any games.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #197
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's a veteran. He had more than enough time.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #198
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm all but convinced that that was a showcase game. They wanted to reassure Boston that trading for Jameer wouldn't help them win any games.
Now that's funny... +
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #199
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

How will Rondo respond to TChandler -if/when - he gets on him for a missed defensive assignment?
TC barks at guys, even to Dirk, but I sure hope Rondo he takes it instructively.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #200
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

So is he going to play tomorrow?!
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat