Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I would argue that being High-IQ/Low-Athletic is lot more likely to make it in the NBA that Low-IQ/High-Athletic. There are athletic guys all over the place, just go look at the local park. Watching Harden and CP3 last night, they are not overly athletic themselves. They use their bodies very well in initiating a ton of contact in order to create space. GS is also a perfect example in that they block out on rebounds all of the time preventing taller/more athletic players from getting the rebound.

I'm not saying that Doncic is going to be a super-star, but I am saying that he declaring that he won't be simply because of athleticism is wrong. However, I really hope the Mavs don't have to make that choice because I don't want to go through another franchise player career with a Euro player that gets zero respect from the league.
My thing is people downplaying the high risk of picking him like it's a sure thing. To me, he is the highest risk of the top 6 talent.

I think he'll be a good player, no doubt, but he isn't what the Mavs need if the FO doesn't think for sure he'll be superstar.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
My thing is people downplaying the high risk of picking him like it's a sure thing. To me, he is the highest risk of the top 6 talent.

I think he'll be a good player, no doubt, but he isn't what the Mavs need if the FO doesn't think for sure he'll be superstar.
So for argument's sake, let's say it goes like this:
PHO - Ayton
SAC - JJJ
ATL - Bagley
MEM - Bamba
and MPJ shows up with a bad back.
Who's your pick?

I think best case scenario is that we have a good choice between 2 players, but it's also likely that whoever we pick is simply who's left of the top players.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
So for argument's sake, let's say it goes like this:
PHO - Ayton
SAC - JJJ
ATL - Bagley
MEM - Bamba
and MPJ shows up with a bad back.
Who's your pick?

I think best case scenario is that we have a good choice between 2 players, but it's also likely that whoever we pick is simply who's left of the top players.
I think that's worst case scenario for the 5th pick, and one I'm afraid will happen.

But I go MPJ all day long because he is 6'11, athletic, and has a killer jump shot when not injured. He is the perfect PF in today's NBA....IF cleared. Big if.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Certainly interesting how perceptions differ. Imho he's one of the safest picks of the draft, next to Mikal Bridges. Like Erica said, high floor, probably lower ceiling than others, but maybe not even that.

I'm baffled how people can even think about putting Porter above him. Luka has YEARS of professional experience already and Porter didn't even play college + injury scare. I don't think I'll survive taking Porter at five if both he and Doncic are still available. Would probably instantly become the biggest draft fail in history.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote