Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Pin Drop

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked
by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an
example of empire building' by George Bush.
He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent
many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for
freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever
asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.
You could have heard a pin drop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then there was a conference in France where a number of
international engineers were taking part, including French and
American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back
into the room saying, 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has
done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the
tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'
A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have
three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people;
they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power
to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity
to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several
thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they
carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and
injured to and from their flight deck. We have 11 such ships; how
many does France have? '
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included
Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French
Navies.
At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large
group of officers that included personnel from most of those
countries.
Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks
but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'whereas Europeans
learn many languages, Americans learn only English.'
He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in
these conferences rather than speaking French?'
Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because
the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you
wouldn't have to speak German.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...
A group of Americans, retired teachers, recently went to France on a
tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris
by plane.
At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in
his carry on.
'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the customs officer
asked sarcastically.
Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.
'Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.'
The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show
it.'
'Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on
arrival in France!'
The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
quietly explained. 'Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on
D-Day in '44 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any
Frenchmen to show it to.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or
reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank
check made payable to 'The USA, Canada, Britain etc.) for an amount
of 'up to, and including his life.'
That is honour, and there are way too many people in this country
today, who no longer understand that fact.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

<crickets>

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

<tumbleweed>
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Why did this get moved to the political arena?

Sure there are politics involved but this is also about our veterans...we have some anal idiots who like to move things around.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
92bDad
Platinum Member

Default Pin Drop

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33743

For some reason this got moved to political arena...cool thread and honoring to America. Makes for some good lounge discussion.

If you don't want to chat about it...then IGNORE IT!!!

I'm sure that Greggo would enjoy the points from Pin Drop.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 92bDad again.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33743

For some reason this got moved to political arena...cool thread and honoring to America. Makes for some good lounge discussion.

If you don't want to chat about it...then IGNORE IT!!!

I'm sure that Greggo would enjoy the points from Pin Drop.
There are many valuable discussions happening in the political forum. This might turn out to be one of them.

But at long as we have a separate board for political talk, that's where it should go.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 08-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure there are politics involved but this is also about our veterans...we have some anal idiots who like to move things around.
Bullcrap

This is a "France hate" thread and NOTHING else... If it doesn't spark political debate, then what's the purpose? (because it's only funny until you realize that America would STILL be a British colony if it wasn't for the French...)

Can you hear the pin drop?

(or is that the sound of a storm of brewing?)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-29-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
(because it's only funny until you realize that America would STILL be a British colony if it wasn't for the French...)
that is debatable.

The US might actually still be a British colony if it weren't for British money filtered through the French to the US though. LOL.

History is what is learned by future generations, not necessarily Truth.

Then again, maybe the US is only a nation due to the French. I wasn't there, so what I read becomes the truth I know - not necessarily the TRUTH.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
that is debatable.

The US might actually still be a British colony if it weren't for British money filtered through the French to the US though. LOL.

History is what is learned by future generations, not necessarily Truth.

Then again, maybe the US is only a nation due to the French. I wasn't there, so what I read becomes the truth I know - not necessarily the TRUTH.
Fair enough, but my point has been made - this thread DOES belong in the political forums...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what the French did for us, as of WWII we're more than square.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Regardless of what the French did for us, as of WWII we're more than square.
Sure, but that's not what this thread is about...

(but then again, it's hard to stay "on topic" when you're not really sure what the topic is... Did France do anything to warrant this discussion, or did 92bDad just choose to single them out because he's too coked-up to realize they're NOT RELEVANT to America in 2008?)

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

(but then again, it's hard to stay "on topic" when you're not really sure what the topic is... Did France do anything to warrant this discussion, or did 92bDad just choose to single them out because he's too coked-up to realize they're NOT RELEVANT to America in 2008?)
It wasn't really political, until it went in the French direction.

It was a cool glorifying of what veterans have done (if you looked at it that way).

It was a bit of humor (if you looked at it that way).

It was Political when you pushed it that way........I don't really see what difference it makes. Personally, I'd probably have put it in the lounge -- but being a vet, I like having my ego stroked every now and again, and I see lots of humor in it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
It wasn't really political, until it went in the French direction.

It was a cool glorifying of what veterans have done (if you looked at it that way).

It was a bit of humor (if you looked at it that way).

It was Political when you pushed it that way........I don't really see what difference it makes. Personally, I'd probably have put it in the lounge -- but being a vet, I like having my ego stroked every now and again, and I see lots of humor in it.
But the nature of the topic automatically makes it political...

Hell, I'd love to start a philosophical thread about religion in the Lounge, but I'm sure it would become Political Forum material by post #2 (which is why I haven't posted it - I'd want to keep politics out of the conversation, but you can't control what the board do...)

Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Underdog again.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #16
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bullcrap

This is a "France hate" thread and NOTHING else... If it doesn't spark political debate, then what's the purpose? (because it's only funny until you realize that America would STILL be a British colony if it wasn't for the French...)

Can you hear the pin drop?

(or is that the sound of a storm of brewing?)
Be careful before you go blasting or judging the "French"

For the Record... I AM FRENCH!!!

I was born in Spain, my mother is French and I grew up on a French-American home...my dad is career military and I too served honorably for over 7 years, before deciding to pursue a career in the Civilian sector.

I have worked from 2000-2007 for a French Corporation, and only recently have I changed...now working for Japanese Corporation.

I Love France, however I am truly Conservative and I don't agree with French Politics. The People of France are great people, but the corruption from the Leftist French Government is horrible...coupled with how the French Press reports on issues, I hope beyond measure that we never see the day that the USA is compared equally to France.

I love both my home countries, France and USA...however I was born an American and have always been an American first!!!

Those points in the message above, sure point to some foolish comments and thinking by various people from France...but let me be clear...not all French think like the left and actually there are several working to create effective change in France.

I only hope and Pray that this happens in my lifetime.

Vive La France!!!

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-29-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
Underdog

Quote:
Be careful before you go blasting or judging the "French"

For the Record... I AM FRENCH!!!

I was born in Spain, my mother is French and I grew up on a French-American home...my dad is career military and I too served honorably for over 7 years, before deciding to pursue a career in the Civilian sector.

I have worked from 2000-2007 for a French Corporation, and only recently have I changed...now working for Japanese Corporation.

I Love France, however I am truly Conservative and I don't agree with French Politics. The People of France are great people, but the corruption from the Leftist French Government is horrible...coupled with how the French Press reports on issues, I hope beyond measure that we never see the day that the USA is compared equally to France.

I love both my home countries, France and USA...however I was born an American and have always been an American first!!!

Those points in the message above, sure point to some foolish comments and thinking by various people from France...but let me be clear...not all French think like the left and actually there are several working to create effective change in France.

I only hope and Pray that this happens in my lifetime.

Vive La France!!!

Weren't YOU the one bitching about this thread being moved to the Political Forums??????

(I mean, you even went so far as to call the mod who moved it "an idiot" but here YOU are talking politics...)

Last edited by Underdog; 08-29-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #18
92bDad
Platinum Member

If the thread moves towards politics, then who am I to argue...the people have spoken and politics is where we go.

It's all about what the people want :-)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #19
Underdog

Quote:
If the thread moves towards politics, then who am I to argue...the people have spoken and politics is where we go.

It's all about what the people want :-)
So you've taken a complete 180 since posts #4 & #5?

Which Democratic presidential candidate are you again?

(the term "flip-flop" keeps resonating in my skull, though it's nice to see you've come to grips...)

Last edited by Underdog; 08-29-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Tags
fluffy banter