Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mexico, U.S. to meet in Gold Cup final

Alright Sports consumers. Your soccer team is playing in the Gold Cup Final on Sunday @2pm CST, and I thought you should be aware of it. I'm not sure what the TV is yet. I pray to god it's on a network, but it might be like...usa or the Fox soccer channel, which is sad.

Anyways, you may not take this seriously, but I'll tell you who does: illegal immigrants. NOTHING beats Mexicans down quite as hard as the USA beating them in soccer matches.

Go USA

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/..._final?mode=PF
Quote:
Mexico, U.S. to meet in Gold Cup final
By Nancy Armour, AP National Writer | June 22, 2007

CHICAGO --Mexico and the United States will meet in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final Sunday, just as expected. But neither is looking very much like a favorite.

"No, I'm not satisfied," Mexico coach Hugo Sanchez said. "I think we're getting better. I'm happy with the defensive performance, but the tight score, I'm not happy with."

El Tri needed a 70th-minute goal from Pavel Pardo to edge little Guadeloupe 1-0 on Thursday night. Earlier, the Americans beat Canada 2-1 after the Maple Leafs had a game-tying goal waved off on a disputed offsides call in the final minute.

Frankie Hejduk scored his first goal in almost seven years, and Landon Donovan converted yet another penalty kick for the winner. With 33 career goals, Donovan moved within one of Eric Wynalda's U.S. record. Kasey Keller played in his 100th international game, matching Tony Meola's American mark for goalkeepers.

"Twice in the tournament, we've been cruising and let teams back into the game when we had a chance to bury them," Keller said. "That's frustrating. But we won both of them."

The Americans will play the final without both Hejduk and Michael Bradley. Hejduk picked up his second yellow card in as many games while Bradley, the son of U.S. coach Bob Bradley, was given a red card in the 89th minute for a reckless tackle.

The United States and Mexico have both been struggling to find a rhythm, and Thursday night's games were no different.

After the Americans failed to convert several chances, Hejduk finally got the offense on track in the 39th minute.

Pablo Mastroeni collected the ball on the right side of the field and passed to Donovan, who tapped the ball back to into Hejduk's path at the top of the box. Michael Bradley would have been in Hejduk's way, but the youngster dropped to the ground and Hejduk took a solid shot with his right foot.

The ball hit the left post and caromed into the goal past a diving Patrick Onstad.

It was Hejduk's first goal since June 11, 2000, and it sent him on a mad dash across the field. He slapped hands with Bob Bradley and the players on the bench, pumping his fists as the rests of his teammates mobbed him.

Seven minutes later, the Americans were celebrating again when Donovan converted his third penalty kick of the tournament.

But the Americans got sloppy late. After second half sub Iain Hume scored in the 76th minute, the Canadians put even more pressure on Keller. In the final minute of stoppage time, Atiba Hutchinson got a shot past him, but Mexican referee Benito Archundia waved the goal off, saying the Canadian was offside.

Replays showed the ball went off U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu, and that Canadian attackers appeared to be even with the last American defender, meaning the goal should have counted.

"Their player headed the ball down into the box and our player kicked it in," Canada coach Stephen Hart said. "If one of their players played the ball back, it's a back pass and it cannot be offsides. That's how I saw it."

Canadian players vehemently argued to no avail with Archundia, who seconds later blew the final whistle.

Mexico's finish wasn't nearly as chaotic, but its performance wasn't exactly memorable.

Guadeloupe actually is a part of France -- it's called an overseas department -- and isn't one of FIFA's 208 members. That means soccer's world governing body doesn't recognize it. It is allowed to have a team in this regional championship, but with its best players committed to France -- Thierry Henry, Lilian Thuram and William Gallas all have roots in Guadeloupe -- it essentially fielded what Mexico or the United States would consider a second- or third-string squad.

But the Gwada Boys gave Mexico everything it could handle.

Guadeloupe goalie Franck Grandel was credited with seven saves, five in the first half alone. But it may as well have been twice that for all the time he spent diving this way and that and leaping to punch the ball out of harm's way.

But with a crowd of 50,790 -- 50,789 of whom seemed to be rooting for Mexico -- cheering loudly, Pardo finally bailed the Mexicans out in the 70th minute.

From 30 yards out, he looped a sharp ball with his right foot into the upper corner of the net. Grandel leaped, but it was just beyond his reach. As the rest of the Mexican team mobbed Pardo and the crowd erupted in cheers of "MEX-I-CO! MEX-I-CO!" Grandel sat on the ground, dejected.

"I said it was going to be a tough game because they pack it in defensively," Pardo said. "We had opportunities to score goals. We should have scored more."