Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavericks pass on European camp -- DMN (Sefko Warning)

Cuban rejects NBA's plan to make team part of 2006-07 initiative

04:34 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – The NBA will announce today that it will send four or five teams to Europe for training camp in 2006 and 2007, but don't expect the Mavericks to be on the traveling list.

Owner Mark Cuban said Monday that the Mavericks have been asked to be part of the initiative, but he doesn't think the timing is right for his team.

"I won't do it," he said. "While I understand and appreciate the value to international marketing goals of the NBA, I don't think it would be good for the Mavs.
"Training camp is only about 30 days. That's not enough time as it is. Anything that takes away from our time together, particularly our first camp with AJ [Avery Johnson] as coach, would be a mistake."

The NBA has not announced which teams will fill out the European training camp roster for each year; that decision could come soon.

TV fees may give owners edge in talks: Walt Disney Co. and Time Warner Inc. would pay the NBA television rights fees next season for games that are lost to a lockout, NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said.

The league would have to repay the money for missed games before the contracts expire in three years, Granik said. The NBA's labor contract with players expires July 1, and no talks are scheduled.

ABC and ESPN, owned by Disney, pay the league about $400 million a year. Time Warner Inc. pays about $360 million annually for its games on TNT. Each team gets about $25.3 million.

Getting the television money, the league's largest single source of revenue, tempers the impact a prolonged dispute would have on the owners, said former Atlanta Hawks president Stan Kasten. It would give them an advantage in talks with players, who would start missing paychecks during training camp in October.

"Any kind of fund that tides you over is helpful," said Kasten, who ran the Hawks from 1986 to 2003. "It's like having a line of credit at the bank."

Briefly: Detroit coach Larry Brown said the proposed NBA lockout did not change his timetable. He intends to visit the Mayo Clinic and within 72 hours let the Pistons know whether he can coach next season. ... Pistons reserve point guard Carlos Arroyo's status for tonight's Game 3 against San Antonio will be a game-time decision. Arroyo sprained his left ankle late in Sunday's loss at San Antonio.

This report includes material from news services.

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavericks pass on European camp -- DMN (Sefko Warning)

Quote:
The NBA will announce today that it will send four or five teams to Europe for training camp in 2006 and 2007, but don't expect the Mavericks to be on the traveling list.

Owner Mark Cuban said Monday that the Mavericks have been asked to be part of the initiative, but he doesn't think the timing is right for his team.

"I won't do it," he said. "While I understand and appreciate the value to international marketing goals of the NBA, I don't think it would be good for the Mavs.
"Training camp is only about 30 days. That's not enough time as it is. Anything that takes away from our time together, particularly our first camp with AJ [Avery Johnson] as coach, would be a mistake."
Is Mark conceding that the lockout will essentially cost the teams a training camp this year and next year will be the 1st training camp for Avery as head coach? Or is Mark's math way off? Or is this just Sefko being a dumbass?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw that I thought Mark misspoke, but now that you mention it that may be a little foreshadowing.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE: Mavericks pass on European camp -- DMN (Sefko Warning)

I would hope the organization would make some sort of backdoor arrangements for Devin, Josh, & Marquis. Those kids need to eat, drink and sleep basketball this summer... preferrably under the tutelage of an Avery clone.

How closely will/can NBA officials monitor interactions between the coaching staff and the players? Would we be subject to fines if say Ro Blackman just accidentally bumped into the youngsters on a park blacktop everyday for a couple of months?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

great thought cap city.

I know there are a lot of issues with regard to the guys going overseas.
PRO:
.......... build comraderie as a team.
.......... Dirk palying in the fatherland
.......... build even larger euro fan base.

CON:
............ Distractions ....big time.
............ Too much travel.
............ temptation to play regulars and not develop the young guys.

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I'm a little confused here. Don't the Mavs go to Europe and conduct training camps on their own?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not during that calendar period. But yes, they scout Europe via camps. That is one reason why Nellie and Donnie got suspended at the beginning of last season.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Not during that calendar period. But yes, they scout Europe via camps. That is one reason why Nellie and Donnie got suspended at the beginning of last season.
You mean at the beginning of the 2002/2003 season don't you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

edit: because I got the year wrong the 1st time as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]