Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #81
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
anything is "arguable" if someone wants to argue bad enough. just, in my humble objective opinion, he is the best right now.
When you say "far and away," you are essentially claiming that something isn't even arguable.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #82
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Deron Williams: 22 ppg, 10 assists, 4.2 rebounds, 1.4 steals
Derrick Rose: 25 ppg, 8.2 assists, 4.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals
Chris Paul: 16 ppg, 10.5 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 3.1 steals
Rajon Rondo: 11 ppg, 14 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals
Steve Nash: 18 ppg, 10.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds, .8 steals

I would not pick Rajon from that list. Saying he is "far and away" the best poing guard because he has the most assists but less than half the points (or more) than some of the others is just ridiculous. It's like saying that Kevin Love and Noah are better "centers" than Dwight because they have more rebounds which is a "center" stat.

Gimme a break.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #83
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Deron Williams: 22 ppg, 10 assists, 4.2 rebounds, 1.4 steals
Derrick Rose: 25 ppg, 8.2 assists, 4.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals
Chris Paul: 16 ppg, 10.5 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 3.1 steals
Rajon Rondo: 11 ppg, 14 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals
Steve Nash: 18 ppg, 10.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds, .8 steals

I would not pick Rajon from that list. Saying he is "far and away" the best poing guard because he has the most assists but less than half the points (or more) than some of the others is just ridiculous. It's like saying that Kevin Love and Noah are better "centers" than Dwight because they have more rebounds which is a "center" stat.

Gimme a break.
points aren't everything. his fg percentage is higher than all those other players at .528. the others score more points and take more shots to get them. he is tops in all the other categories. so i would still personally pick rajon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...n/point-guards

Last edited by xrobx; 12-10-2010 at 07:35 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #84
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to tell me that points aren't everything, and then point to his assists and say he's far and above the best?

Plus, he is not tops in all the other categories what are you talking about?

PPG - Derrick Rose
RPG - Russell Westbrook
FG% - Rondo
FT% - Steph Curry
3 Pointer% - Mike Bibby
Assists - Rondo
Steal - Chris Paul
Blocks - Derrick Rose
Double Doubles - Westbrook/Williams
Minutes - Rondo (I'm not sure that helps your case)

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #85
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is not tops in all the other categories what are you talking about?

PPG - Derrick Rose
RPG - Russell Westbrook
FG% - Rondo
FT% - Steph Curry
3 Pointer% - Mike Bibby
Assists - Rondo
Steal - Chris Paul
Blocks - Derrick Rose
Double Doubles - Westbrook/Williams
Minutes - Rondo (I'm not sure that helps your case)
by tops i meant, close to the top if not the very top. who would you pick?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #86
fluid.forty.one

I would take Derrick Rose or Deron Williams, but I'm not dumb enough to say that they are far and above the rest.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #87
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
I would take Derrick Rose or Deron Williams, but I'm not dumb enough to say that they are far and above the rest.
so you've resorted to calling me dumb now. i think this ends our discussion. have a great evening.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #88
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
by the way, rajon rondo is far and away the best pg in the nba
no
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #89
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
points aren't everything. his fg percentage is higher than all those other players at .528. the others score more points and take more shots to get them. he is tops in all the other categories. so i would still personally pick rajon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...n/point-guards
fg % is that high cause he doesn't take 3s
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #90
xrobx
Diamond Member

i guess i'll go ahead and throw this out there. i feel that dirk nowitzki is far and away the best power forward in the nba.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #91
fluid.forty.one

My opinion is that he is the best, but I don't think he's far and away the best. I would say you could argue a bigger distance between him and the rest of the field as you could with Rajon though (but that could be because I don't think Rondo is the best in the first place)... and I would be using the argument of "how important he is to his team and to winning" based on how his team has performed and taking into consideration the people around him.

Amare has better stats (he's surprisingly beating Dirk in scoring, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals) and Dirk is winning in %s and wins (even though Amare is also shooting an awesome 53%) but the eye test tells me that when I want to take over a game or I want someone to lead me through the playoffs, I want Dirk Nowitzki and not Amare.

I guess I also used the same type of analysis with Rondo. I think Boston still rolls without him. I can't say the same about the Jazz, or the Bulls, or even the Thunder.

But no I don't think Dirk is "far and away" better than Amare this season. I think he has been better individually and more important and more of a winner, but I wouldn't scoff at someone who said that Amare was having a better season. He's playing insane right now.

edit: Kevin Love has been daaamn good too.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-10-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #92
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

Is there anyone Dirk really can compare to, because he plays differently from standard PF's?
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #93
fluid.forty.one

My point is... Rondo definitely isn't "far and away" the best... but I don't think he's "far and away" not the best either. I think that's silly.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #94
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
by the way, rajon rondo is far and away the best pg in the nba
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #95
mavs777
Diamond Member

Dirk and Pau are clearly the 2 best PF in the game
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #96
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Amare is beating Dirk in scoring, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Clearly.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #97
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Rondo can also be a huge liability at times. the Lakers were able to sag so far off of him in game 7 that it was like playing 5 on 4. he really hurt them.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #98
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
no Dirk is better

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #99
fluid.forty.one

dammit mavs777

It was only a matter of time...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #100
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dammit mavs777

It was only a matter of time...

genius +rep

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #101
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Always trying to find a way to F things up aren't you?
I knew it would happen.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 12-14-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #102
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, "but"...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #103
fluid.forty.one

hahaha

I shouldn't say it's all his fault, but...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #104
xrobx
Diamond Member

he had a nice little run, r.i.p. to the mavs777 era
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #105
fluid.forty.one

btw, since the king(s) are dead I would love to start the Portland GDT if I remember. Buck the FrailBlazers. -- edit: <--- haha that couldn't work more perfectly.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-14-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #106
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
btw, since the king(s) are dead I would love to start the Portland GDT if I remember. Buck the FrailBlazers. -- edit: <--- haha that couldn't work more perfectly.
You're gonna hafta rassle Bayliss for that one - I think he's aching to kick off another streak....

Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #107
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

How about from now on instead of making a thread about not wanting to tempt fate...you just don't?

that seems like a good rule of thumb to me.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #108
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Fluid if you want to make the GDT... go ahead.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #109
Underdog

I don't care who starts the next GDT, just as long as it's a win...

(so whoever it is better bring their A-game mojo!)

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #110
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs777 should start all GDT's forever and always.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #111
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOC View Post
Is there anyone Dirk really can compare to, because he plays differently from standard PF's?
Not really, that's why it's hard to defend him, the league doesn't see him often enough to figure out a plan. Would not be surprised if someone hires Nellie as a playoff consultant one year to defend Dirk. Dirk's ability to score all the way out to the stripe, makes him dangerous anywhere on the court. Surrounding him with half decent offensive players, just opens up the game for him even more. Just like minimizing Kidd's minutes, we should minimize the times we need him posting up in the paint. I'd rather see him dominate as a catch and shooter. Which opens up his game driving into the paint in the 2nd halves of games.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #112
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Just like minimizing Kidd's minutes, we should minimize the times we need him posting up in the paint. I'd rather see him dominate as a catch and shooter. Which opens up his game driving into the paint in the 2nd halves of games.
Good post. +rep

Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #113
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed a trend toward the end of our streak. As our consistency faltered so to did the tempo of the game increase. I enjoy a win streak, but would also like to see us bring back the slower tempo that was winning games for us at the start of the season. We were grinding out wins at the beginning of the streak, but have been relying more on offence as of late. We need to fix that if we truly hope to contend this year.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #114
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...s-of-nba-title

Mind = Blown.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #115
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
I just got silver poisoning from all that lining.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #116
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
I just got silver poisoning from all that lining.
haha +rep
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #117
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Must spread for Dirk FTW...

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr. bio, is this db.com?, thread fail, what is a mavs 777?, what is a mavs777?, yogurt?