Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kobe kicked out of his house

A Tough Summer—And Maybe a Hard Fall—For Kobe

A popular basketball star’s uexpected run-in with the law

Newsweek

July 21 issue — Kobe Bryant thought his summer could get no worse. His L.A. Lakers had been knocked out of the playoffs, they were about to sign Utah’s superstar Karl Malone (who could cut into Bryant’s fan base) and he had to have shoulder surgery. In fact, his troubles had just begun. On July 4, Bryant, 24, was arrested for sexual assault on a 19-year-old woman in a Colorado hotel.
ONE REPORT suggests the woman, a desk clerk at the hotel, was delivering room-service food to Bryant; sources close to him say he invited her up. After an indeterminate length of time, she reportedly returned to the lobby “in hysterics”; both she and Bryant briefly checked in to local hospitals. Bryant turned himself in to the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office and agreed to give DNA evidence; he was released on $25,000 bond; early this week, after the analysis of evidence taken from both Bryant and his accuser, the D.A. will decide whether to file charges. Bryant’s lawyer says he’s innocent, and the Sheriff’s Office is already under fire from the press for issuing an arrest warrant before the D.A. had seen the evidence.
Kobe Bryant with Vanessa Laine--now his wife--when she was his girlfriend in 2000
“I don’t know what happened,” says teammate Kareem Rush, “but I do know Kobe, and that’s not the guy I know.” That was the prevailing attitude among both Lakers and rival players after the arrest became public. For the past seven years, Bryant has been one of the NBA’s shining stars, not just a standout player but a clean-cut alternative to the likes of Allen Iverson, known as much for off-court run-ins with police as for on-court prowess. Kobe’s No. 8 is the jersey most often purchased by fans.
A number of NBA players have said Bryant’s accuser, a college student and former high-school cheerleader, is well known as a basketball groupie. That’s not what people say in her hometown—though she did play a Conrad-crazy fan in a school production of “Bye Bye Birdie.” Acquaintances call her “a good girl from a good family” who wouldn’t bring a false accusation—though they also hint at a family estrangement and a recent “hard time.” A high-school classmate told NEWSWEEK the teen was a singer who’d tried out for “American Idol” last year: “She’s a very nice girl, and I don’t know anyone who had problems with her. But I don’t want to comment one way or another on this case, because I don’t know what happened.”
Bryant, too, has had family troubles, ever since his marriage to an 18-year-old high-school student. His parents and sisters moved from the homes he’d bought them in L.A. back to Philadelphia; Bryant’s father has said he’s never seen his 5-month-old granddaughter. “That’s been real difficult for Kobe,” says an NBA player who asked not to be named. “Now he has to deal with this—I’m not sure he can deal with this—without support.” One source told NEWSWEEK Bryant’s wifehas kicked him out. Whether that’s true or not, we can confirm that Bryant, his wife and his accuser will not enjoy the rest of the summer.
—Allison Samuels with Jamie Reno

© 2003 Newsweek, Inc.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Kobe kicked out of his house

ahh...poor Kobe.

(sarcasm)
Old 07-14-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I know if I had diddled some other woman in hotel that Mrs. Doc would have botted me so far out of the house I wouldn't be able to find the door.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

that's what cracks me up . to file a warrant, they had to have signifigant prove of at least SEX, right?
So if Kobe's such a great guy, why'd he cheat on his wife? and not to mention baby.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i don't think we know even if there is proof of sex yet. that is still jumping to conclusions at this point, which is why this has hurt his rep even if he isn't guilty.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:00 AM   #6
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Just211,

Have you ever been married? Have you ever been 25 years old and tempted by hundreds of women a year. The fact that he seems to have not screwed around for the last 7 years is what you should be amazed at. AC Green is either a saint or crazy.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:54 AM   #7
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Those last couple of lines in the news week article are pretty sorry. It may or may not be true? WTF!

Lost of irresponsible journalism going on in regards to the case.

Here is a story from a local paper sighting a few examples:

http://www.vaildaily.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/307140101

July 14, 2003

"Abundance' of evidence exists, source insists

Randy Wyrick

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was in the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera less than an hour when he allegedly sexually assaulted a 19-year-old hotel worker, a source close to the case said Monday.

There was no disturbance reported by other guests, security was not called, and the young woman was not in "hysterics" as widely reported, though she was visibly upset, this source said. The source said the woman knows she's in for a rough ride if charges are filed, but has the character to handle the hardships to come.

And while District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said Monday that the physical evidence and its analysis had not yet returned from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the source said "an abundance" of physical evidence exists - although they declined to elaborate. Hurlbert has declined to comment on any part of the investigation.

Bryant and his attorneys have repeatedly claimed his innocence and said an "unbiased" investigation would exonerate him.

The timetable

Bryant and three bodyguards checked into the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera between 10:10 and 10:40 p.m. June 30, the source said. That fits with employees at the Lodge at Vail, who said Bryant's group stopped at their hotel in Vail Village between 9 and 9:30 that night.

The source said the shift of Lodge at Cordillera workers on duty at that time clocked out at 11:10 p.m. They also said the alleged victim was home by 11:50 p.m. June 30.

According to witness accounts and published reports, Bryant or one of his bodyguards summoned the woman to the room. Accounts vary widely, and wildly, as to why.

About 20 minutes later the woman returned to the lobby from the room, visibly upset - not two hours later, as some reports have indicated, this source insisted.

"The woman was not hysterical, but she was in shock and disbelief that this could have happened to her," the source said. "She eventually fell into something of a stupor as the reality of the situation set in."

There was no word on when authorities were notified, or when the alleged victim was tested for sexual assault evidence. Bryant was tested the next night, after knee surgery that day, at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.

"Every test that could be done was worth it," the source said, again declining to elaborate.

The source also said that reports of disturbances by Bryant and his entourage are false. No guests on that floor complained, because there were no other guests on that floor that night, they said. Security was not called, they said.

Bryant was scheduled to have knee surgery July 1 at Vail's Steadman Hawkins Clinic. The source said that although the appointment was "not early," but Bryant was still late for it. The exact time of his appointment was not available, and Steadman Hawkins declined to provide it.

Eagle County Sheriff Joe Hoy issued a warrant for Bryant's arrest for felony sexual assault on Friday, July 4. Bryant, who had returned to California, flew back to Eagle County that day, turned himself in at the Eagle County jail and posted $25,000 bond. He was gone in less than hour.

Hurlbert is still determining what charges, if any, to file against Bryant. His decision is expected this week.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

stressboy,
yes I'm married, and while i haven't had 100's of women thrown at me, I think everyman has had the oppurtunity come up. Some people just have respect for the women they marry, and the families they start. If he wanted to play the field, he shouldn't have said " I DO".

And while I'm no AC GReen, i think even if Kobe is not guilty, cheating on his family is damning enough
Old 07-15-2003, 10:43 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Just211,

Have you ever been married? Have you ever been 25 years old and tempted by hundreds of women a year. The fact that he seems to have not screwed around for the last 7 years is what you should be amazed at. AC Green is either a saint or crazy.

Stressboy

Who says he hasn't "screwed around"? You have no idea if that is true or not. I think Just211 is on target here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote