Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-16-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default Nash to Portland!

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0716/1581696.html

Wednesday, July 16

Nash says Blazers' job is 'wonderful opportunity'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Just an hour after he was introduced as the Portland Trail Blazers new general manager, John Nash was on the job at a team workout, quizzing players and coaches.

Nash wasn't daunted by the task of turning around a troubled team that has been damaged by on-court misconduct, off-court legal problems and infighting.

"This is a wonderful, marvelous opportunity to join an organization that has such a rich tradition, such a strong passion for the city and the fans, and to be working for an ownership-management team that is dedicated -- and recently rededicated -- to excellence both on and off the court,'' he said.

Nash, a former Philadelphia, Washington and New Jersey GM, was most recently a basketball analyst on the Philadelphia 76ers postgame show.

He replaces Bob Whitsitt, whose personnel moves angered many in the community. The team failed to win a championship with the league's highest payroll and several players have not lived up to potential.

At his formal introduction Wednesday at the Rose Garden, Nash said he wouldn't shy away from problems.

"I do think there may be an opportunity or two to reduce the payroll, while at the same time maintaining a level of success,'' he said. "I didn't come here to lose basketball games, trust me when I tell you.''

An hour later Nash was at the Blazers' practice facility in Tualatin, monitoring a workout among younger players in preparation for summer league play.

Nash, 56, chatted with several players and coaches, including Blazers' head coach Maurice Cheeks, who he once traded from the 76ers.

"I'm very comfortable with him,'' Cheeks said.

One of the team's most immediate issues was the future of forward Rasheed Wallace, whose tirades against referees have been the on-court symbol for a team perceived to be out of control.

This past season, Wallace earned a seven-game suspension for threatening a referee on the loading dock of the Rose Garden. It was the longest suspension the league had ever handed down for something that didn't involve physical contact or substance abuse.

Wallace also was cited this season for misdemeanor marijuana possession, along with teammate Damon Stoudamire, after a traffic stop in Washington state. He agreed to stay out of trouble for six months so that the charge would be dropped.

Drafted by Nash in Washington, Wallace is now at the center of trade rumors surrounding the Blazers.

"He remains a marvelous player, he remains a player who has a high value. There's a high level of interest in Rasheed Wallace around the NBA,'' Nash said. "And I think the Trail Blazers would put a premium on his value to them, because of his talent.''

Nash has been known for cleaning house. With the Nets, he swung a nine-player trade with Dallas and an eight-player trade with Philadelphia.

He also performed a major makeover when he was with Washington, acquiring players such as Chris Webber, Rex Chapman and Scott Skiles.

The search for Whitsitt's replacement took longer than expected after New Jersey's Ed Stefanski, Detroit's John Hammond and Boston's Chris Wallace turned down offers to become the next general manager.

When Steve Patterson took over as the new team president, the search slowed even further. Whitsitt stayed on to select high school player Travis Outlaw in the first round of last month's NBA draft.

"After the scrutiny that the organization placed upon this hiring, I'm proud of the fact that I emerged,'' Nash said.

Nash, who is in charge of player personnel, has his work cut out for him.

The latest of many problems involving players concerned Stoudamire, fined $250,000 and suspended indefinitely for his third arrest in 16 months on marijuana possession charges.

Qyntel Woods also was cited for marijuana possession in late March after a traffic stop in Portland. Those charges were pending.

Bonzi Wells was suspended by the league twice during the season for fighting and for spitting on an opponent.

And Zach Randolph was suspended by the team for punching teammate Ruben Patterson during a practice.

Nash said he was dedicated to team owner Paul Allen's directive to clean up the Blazers' image.

"Paul Allen has made it clear that he wants a team that he and the city of Portland can be proud of,'' Nash said.

----

Lets see how long it takes to blow them apart ...
Old 07-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
LakerMania

LakerMania is on a distinguished road

lol, I was wondering why you put this on the NBA forum.

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

hehe make everyone's heart drop why don't ya.....