Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road
Default Derek Jeter

Does anybody else just hate the living crap out of guy. On TV they keep showing him stand up in the dugout and I makes me sick. Everything he does is soooo overrated. I hope he strikes out to end the game!

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Derek Jeter

Quote:
Originally posted by: steponhens
Does anybody else just hate the living crap out of guy. On TV they keep showing him stand up in the dugout and I makes me sick. Everything he does is soooo overrated. I hope he strikes out to end the game!
Word!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Derek Jeter

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Derek Jeter

Quote:
I'm so tired of the credit card commercial that I change the channel every time it comes on.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Derek Jeter

That commercial doesn't really make much sense.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Derek Jeter

Sorry guys, Derek Jeter is the most clutch player in baseball. That double play he turned last night was ridiculous and his hitting in the postseason is unmatched.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:34 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Derek Jeter

Jeter is perhaps one of the most overrated players in the game. he often gets mentioned in the same breath as Nomar and ARod..
he's numbers are rather anemic in comparison... yes, the game isn't all about numbers, but all the intangibles in the world wouldn't put Jeter in the same class as the shortstops in the A.L.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 AM   #8
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Derek Jeter

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Jeter is by no means the hitter that ARod is (he is in a class by himself) and Nomar IS a little better, but as far as an all around player, Jeter has no peer. He has made more big plays and had more big hits in the last 7 years than could possibly be counted. He is so amazingly clutch that is borders on the absurd.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Derek Jeter

put a player in clutch situations all the time and they will come up clutch from time to time. Jeter is a good hitter so it makes sense that he comes up clutch in key situations at a decent clip.

and yeah, he almost hits for the same average as Nomar year in year out..but the power numbers aren't comparable whatsoever. jeter 'might' be a better fielder. He certainly has less errors but I don't think there's too much of a difference in the field between the two.

so, sure, you could come up with an argument to say that jeter is almost as good as nomar.
but this is a little extreme:
Quote:
but as far as an all around player, Jeter has no peer.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road
Default Derek Jeter

Jeter is such a pretty boy....always chewing his gum and acting like nothing bothers him....I can't stand the guy.
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that commerical sucks.

it made sense when steinbrenner said "how can you AFFORD to do yada, yada, yada" and then jeter held up the visa card. play on words. kinda funny.

now it sucks. oh look, he's wearing a tux! who cares...

anyway.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:47 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

The girl doesn't look bad.

Old 10-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Derek Jeter

Never has one player benefitted from the success of those around him as much as Jeter has benefitted. He is grossly overated. This doesn't mean he isn't a very good baseball player, but you stick him on the Detroit Tigers and he is an afterthought.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
Hitman
Golden Member

Default RE:Derek Jeter

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
put a player in clutch situations all the time and they will come up clutch from time to time. Jeter is a good hitter so it makes sense that he comes up clutch in key situations at a decent clip.

and yeah, he almost hits for the same average as Nomar year in year out..but the power numbers aren't comparable whatsoever. jeter 'might' be a better fielder. He certainly has less errors but I don't think there's too much of a difference in the field between the two.

so, sure, you could come up with an argument to say that jeter is almost as good as nomar.
but this is a little extreme:
Quote:
but as far as an all around player, Jeter has no peer.
fair enough...check that....

more like "few peers"

he is not overrated, however. the casual fans look at him and think "hey, this guy only hit 10 homers...he sucks." the reality is far different to anyone who has watched the guy play over the last 7 years. He has left me shaking my head in absolute amazement more times than could possibly be counted.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:14 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

I like Jiter a lot too.

He is very reliable fielding or batting.

Last night I was commenting to my brothers (I can't get rid of them since the playoffs started, as if the Monday Night's weren't enough [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]): Weird watching the best star of the Yankees playing the infield [related to the last comment of the HR's].

Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 PM   #16
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

If Jeter was on a crummy team then we would rarely hear about him. Think about how much A-Rod is mentioned, imagine if he was on a team like the Yanks.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #17
steponhens

Derek Jeter is a good player, but he gets way too much credit. Example: When he threw out Giambi at home plate of the Oakland series a year or two ago the annoucer said "Nobody else would have even thought of making that play." Are you kidding me. When I heard that I knew how much he was overrated. If he was on any other team besides NY he would be considered a worse player than Tejada. Switch him and A-Rod and see who gets all the face time on TV.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #18
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I believe it was Rob Neyer who brought up the case that Derek Jeter is overrated defensivly, subpar even. I forgot the criteria he used to make that assessment, maybe the article is at ESPN. I think Jeter is a solid player, I like that he does alot of the little things but his reputation as a player is drastically booted up by being a Yankee. He is also far too cocky for a guy who puts up decent/good but otherwise unremarkable numbers as far as stats go.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Old 10-21-2003, 11:32 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

and besides..everyone always points to that play jeter made to get giambi out at home a couple of years back...well, giambi was safe. he stepped over the tag..the ump blew the call
Old 10-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

and giambi should have slid. even a half-assed slide, and giambi's safe.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #22
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Well here´s a different perspective:

Quote:
By Jim Caple
ESPN.com

MIAMI -- The folks in Atlantic City didn't stop awarding Miss America's after the first year. Playboy didn't permanently reserve one month for the first nude model who enjoyed slow walks at sunset on the beach. The folks in Hollywood didn't name Sean Connery 007 for life.

So, it's time we finally take that Mr. October title away from Reggie Jackson and crown the man who deserves it more. Derek Jeter. Alex Rodriguez is baseball's best shortstop for six months every year. But Jeter is the best the one month that matters most.

Every year October he flies in from his Fortress of Solitude and performs some feat so spectacular that you keep looking for the Vegas showgirls and the white tigers. Every time you look up, he's throwing out a runner at home with a no-look shovel pass or winning a game that started in October by slamming a home run in November.

On the Jeter scale, Tuesday's performance in Game 3 was a mere 7. After all, he struck out in one at-bat ("Choker!"). But then he accounted for all three of New York's hits against the otherwise unhittable Josh Beckett. He doubled to left in the fourth, singled to center in the sixth and doubled to right in the eighth. He scored the tying run in the fourth inning, the winning run in the eighth and an insurance run in the ninth to lead the Yankees to a 6-1 victory over the Marlins.

Tuesday's three hits gave him 119 in 96 postseason games. The three runs gave him 25 in 29 career World Series games. Of the 121 players who played at least 20 World Series games, only Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig scored more regularly than Jeter.

"He's my idol,'' New York catcher Jorge Posada said. "He goes out there and gets hit after hit after hit. He gets locked in when he gets into the postseason.''

I know, you've read this before. We all have. We've been reading it since Jeter played in his first World Series in 1996. He's played on so many World Series champions that he's been asked to the White House more often than the Russian ambassador.

"Every type of experience you can have in the postseason, me and Bernie Williams have been in it,'' Jeter said. "We've been in big games. We've won and we've lost. We've been in close games that we've won and we've lost. I think the experience helps in terms of keeping your emotions under control.''

When New York lost the World Series in 2001, the Yankees reacted in various ways. Some players cried. Some players went around the clubhouse and said good-bye to teammates. Some players just looked stunned. Jeter was the only one who simply looked angry, as if someone had just stolen his wallet.

“ Every game counts, every at-bat counts, every pitch counts. People just pay more attention to the details in the postseason. ”
— Derek Jeter

"You look in his eyes, you see something special because he's a leader, he was a leader when he was 20 years old,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He's dealing with some physical problems but it doesn't keep him from needing to win.''

And George Steinbrenner questioned Jeter's commitment last winter? George says something stupid virtually every time he opens his mouth but that was right up there with his declaration that he wouldn't be involved in the day-to-day operations of the Yankees when he bought the team.

"The thing about the postseason is everything is magnified,'' Jeter said. "Every game counts, every at-bat counts, every pitch counts. People just pay more attention to the details in the postseason.''

Here's a partial list of those details: His relay throw to gun down Timo Perez in Game 1 of the 2000 World Series. The first pitch home run in Game 4 of the Subway Series. The season-saving no-look relay in Game 3 of the 2001 division series. The diving catch in the stands in Game 5 of the same series. The double off Pedro that started New York's Game 7 rally against the Red Sox last week.

And that's just the list from this century.

Just imagine what he could do if he was actually healthy. Jeter always leaves a World Series game looking like he spent the night working security on the Jerry Springer Show. He wore a wrap on his leg Tuesday. And a wrap on his right elbow. And one on his left wrist. And after the game he needed ice for his shoulders.

Not that he complained. He never does. He just answers questions as politely and blandly as he can. Reporters are always looking for a provocative "I'm the straw that stirs the drink'' quote from Jeter. He never bites. He's infuriating for us. I can't imagine what he's like for opponents.

I can't say for sure, but I think he put his pants on two legs at a time.

Jim Caple is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

The only thing that article says to me is this...
Derek Jeter is overrated
Old 10-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #24
steponhens

That article points out that Derek Jeter doesn't try hard in the regular season. If he is "sooooo" great in the postseason where is he in the regular season? Taking a break while all his teammates are busting their butts to get him to the postseason.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:48 PM   #25
Hitman
Golden Member

Wow...

The guy is an absolute STUD when it counts the most. He is not a juiced up steroid pumping freak like most of his peers...he is simply one of the best clutch players in history, and one of the 5 greatest overall players in the game today.

No way is he overrated. In a sports society obsessed with numbers and stats, he might be underrated.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:54 PM   #26
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
That article points out that Derek Jeter doesn't try hard in the regular season. If he is "sooooo" great in the postseason where is he in the regular season? Taking a break while all his teammates are busting their butts to get him to the postseason.
We need one of that kind for the Mavs.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Hitman, I think it'd be rather easy to find 5 players in MLB that are better than Jeter
Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #28
Hitman
Golden Member

You know Murphy, you could argue that there were plenty of players better than Jeter if you wanted to, so I am see the angle you are taking.

But you can't argue with the fact that Derek Jeter is BY FAR the most important cog that is about to win its 5th world title in the past 7 years, and Derek Jeter is BY FAR the most important cog in that machine. He has come up with more big hits in the past 7 years than anyone in the league, and it is not even close.

So yes, you would take ARod and Bonds over Jeter, after that it gets a little murky. You can make an argument that he is among the top 5 All Around players in the league, and you won't get an argument from anyone if you call him the greatest postseason baseball player of the past 10 years.

And the thing is, that is how he is rated . No one (sane) is rating him as being better than ARod or Bonds. They are putting him in that tier below them, with a little sidebar in that he will soon have 5 rings and has been UNBELIEVABLY clutch in the past 7 years. Plus, he is a player you have to watch day in and day out to appreciate. Any Yankee fan would give up that roidhead Giambi before Jeter. So I think, while you may find 5 players "better" than Jeter, I don't think it would be as easy as you think it would be. And I think Derek Jeter's value can not be measured in pure numbers.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Sure, Jeter is one of the most important cogs on a team that could possibly win it's 5th title in 7 seasons.

Rating him as highly as you do based upon the above statement is exactly what makes Jeter so overrated.

The reason why the Yankees have won so many titles the past few years has to start with pitching....not the SS position.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:14 AM   #30
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Jeter made an error and grounded into a double play when it "mattered most." I still think he's not overrated though.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:18 AM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

Jetter sucks.

I'm a knee jerker and need to take out my frustration.

Chiw@s:

Old 10-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #32
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Jeter = overated for sure.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:31 AM   #33
Chiwas
Guru

Giambi sucks.

Off topic but still jerking.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #34
Hitman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Sure, Jeter is one of the most important cogs on a team that could possibly win it's 5th title in 7 seasons.

Rating him as highly as you do based upon the above statement is exactly what makes Jeter so overrated.

The reason why the Yankees have won so many titles the past few years has to start with pitching....not the SS position.
Yes, the reason why ANY team could have huge success starts with pitching. For Jeter to be "overrated", one would have to rate him as the best player in the game.

He is most certainly not, and I don't know of anyone that considers him as such.

But he is on the second tier after Bonds/ ARod/ Pujols, and his postseason success grants him more prestige than the rest.

It has to count for something.

Old 10-27-2003, 11:13 PM   #35
BQuinn2210

BQuinn2210 is on a distinguished road

Whoever calls derek jeter overrated is ridiculous! if he hadnt of injured his shoulder in the regular season, he wouldve had great numbers. Jeter is one of the best postseason players in mlb history with a batting average above .300 and if hes so overrated how did he win world series mvp?!?!
BQuinn2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #36
steponhens

If I remember correctly, John Wetteland won the World Series MVP. It doesn't make greatness. Even though the announcers were focusing on Pettite not throwing to third, the biggest mistake was Jeter not fielding a ground ball and throwing out to first. Also on the Pettit play Jeter almost threw the ball into the dugout, if it wasn't for Soriano the fish would have scored even more. And please, don't use the injury as an excuse, A-Rod was playing with a hurt back/neck all year and dominated.