Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-02-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Don Nelson Quotes?

"You have to play freely, but you also have to play intelligently. So if Dirk ducks in, after scoring four or five times in a row, and you pass him up, that’s not smart play."

"I think that's a system that's smart, and been utilized since the beginning of time--get the ball to your best player as often as possible."

Obviously, these are not Don Nelson quotes. The first quote is from Jeff Van Gundy and the second is from David Aldridge.

Don Nelson quotes are usually along the lines of:

"We don't want to play these here Clippers. We would rather play the Fordham Rams B Team. But since they are not available, we will do our best to play Portland the best that we possibly can."

"I want our players to play confidently. That is why I enouraged Manute Bol to shoot three pointers. I didn't want to hurt his confidence."

The quotes from Jeff Van Gundy and David Aldridge, two people who I hold in much higher regard than Don Nelson based on their NBA knowledge (especially JVG), are based on common knowlege basketball.

They are what people like to call "inherent truths."

However, I ask you this....

Do you think Mr. Nelson would agree with these opinions?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Don Nelson Quotes?

Yes, Nelson would say the first three for sure.

But the difference -I think- is how often they say that kind of phrases and if they use other kind of phrases too.

By coincidence, I read a saying 5 minutes ago, that clicks here very well:

"No one follows a general into battle if he is biting his nails".

Old 01-02-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Don Nelson Quotes?

I prefer this quote better:

[i]Nothing raises moral better than a dead general.[/b]
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #4
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

"I really admire Phil Jackson, he's a great coach, but an even greater person. We all know Phil is a Buddhist. Now Buddhist believe in the yeng and the yang, essentially, balance. Ergo, if Dirk gets hot, in order to balance out his hotness, I must cool him, either by benching him for a extended period of time, or totally ignoring him, and calling no play's for him. Its all about balance man."- Don Nelson

"I enjoy butter"- Don Nelson........and Shaq
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

My favorite is the "We can still win this." quote. Was the score tied at that point or where the Mavs leading?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
My favorite is the "We can still win this." quote. Was the score tied at that point or where the Mavs leading?
We were up by 25 vs. Atlanta when he said it I think
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

I believed this quote was against either Sacramento or the L.A lakers last year. How can this team go anywhere with a coach that doesn't think this team can win when the score is tied?

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote