Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caron Butler 2010-11

Caron Butler announces big intentions

Quote:
Say this for Dallas Mavericks small forward/shooting guard Caron Butler: He's not afraid of expectations.

In fact, on Wednesday, Butler's publicity team at Swanson Communications made it official: Butler is expecting to have a big, big season.

"I have been talking to my teammates and coach [Rick] Carlisle about what this group of players can achieve. As a team we have a lot of expectations for what we can accomplish this year," Butler said in a press release. "Maybe losing in the early round last year is what we needed as a team. Now I sense hunger from everyone to get it done this season. We are all looking forward to training camp, getting in a team rhythm and doing some big things this year."

As has been noted here several times this summer, Butler made it a priority to drop weight and get stronger and quicker. He spent the last month working with conditioning guru Tim Grover in Chicago. Butler is back in Dallas and preparing for the start of training camp on Tuesday at SMU. The team will hold its Media Day on Monday at the American Airlines Center.

"I've been focusing on my core this off-season," Butler said in a press release. "My legs are stronger. I feel like I'm more agile, and I have a lot more flexibility in my hips. I've lost 10 pounds and I am down to 225. That's where I wanted to be and where the coaching staff wanted me. ... Since being in Chicago with Grover, my explosiveness is back, and I feel better than ever. He tapped into what I needed. He's made my game better. Last year, I was settling for jump shots. Now I want to be more aggressive and execute a variety of looks from the court both on the attack and on defense."

Music to the Mavs' ears.

"With this team that we have in place, I want to win it all," Butler said. "We definitely want to finish in the top three in the West. That's a very realistic goal. We want homecourt [advantage] heading into the playoffs. To have an opportunity in this conference, you want that. Then once you're in the playoffs anything can happen, and I believe we can make a run to the top."

Of course, we'll see if Butler is around long enough to see those goals through. His expiring, $10.8 million contract will be attractive at the trade deadline, when Butler was acquired last season. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has made it no secret that the club will continue to seek a second superstar to pair with the Dirk Nowitzki.

If a deal pops up, Butler could very well be a part of the trade. But, until that happens, at least the Mavs know they have a player who's ready to roll in a big, big year.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I like it and thats what i expected from him in the offseason.

He knows what the Mavs need and that is not another jumpshooter. I really hope he can deliver this.

Playing SG is still a long stretch because him together with Kidd is the slowest backcourt of the league and wont work against most teams because there are a lot of small backcourts around the league.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Butler is going to be a beast this season. Book it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

What is considered a beast? I would be thoroughly surprised if he got into the 20ppg range.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

If he made 20PPG everyone will be happy.Everything is in his hands.I believe in him.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if he scores 20. I'd settle for 16-20 if it's on 45%+ shooting with 4-7 ftas a game.

Last edited by CadBane; 09-23-2010 at 03:28 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I don't care if he scores 20. I'd settle for 16-20 if it's on 45%+ shooting with 4-7 ftas a game.
His 20PPG will very important.He must helps Dirk.Caron Dirk and Terry are our offensive weapons

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Exactly! We need him to attack basket and play good defense with good FG%. I think this year his assists will go up. His last years 1.8 is little bit too low. You don't have to be basketball expert to understand that last year he was quite lost on the offensive side. I really hope he can figure it out. I have high hopes for Chandler, Nowitzki, Butler, Roddy, Kidd lineup, when playoffs start.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So basically you are ok with what he did last year (for us).. + a few extra FTA's? He needs to get his avg's up in ppg/Ast while shooting the ball well and not turning it over. He needs to shoot the 3 better too.

However you see it, he needs to contribute more offensively. I think he's an underrated defender.

IF he's going to be a beast, which was mentioned before then I expect much more and think he is capable of it if used correctly. Perhaps they need to expand the play book some and occasionally stray from "give it to Dirk and stand around the perimeter".

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
So basically you are ok with what he did last year (for us).. + a few extra FTA's? He needs to get his avg's up in ppg/Ast while shooting the ball well and not turning it over. He needs to shoot the 3 better too.
His last year 13 attempts is almost good enough, give him 15. Replace his last years dumb jump shots with attacking basket attempts with something 50+FG% add avg assist somewhere 4+ and you got great second option who can great for others. Yes it would be nice to have Caron with 22-25 point every night but it's quite unrealistic. But him attacking basket isn't. This can great easy shot for others and it would equal like +1 avg points for Dirk, Roddy, Terry and so on. We have plenty shooters who can knock down easy shots. But we need more help with somebody greating these ones. Quality is better than quantity.

I just think these attepmts should go to Beaubois way, he needs these ones. I still think that Roddy with 15 points and handling quick PG's is our ticket to title.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post
His last year 13 attempts is almost good enough, give him 15. Replace his last years dumb jump shots with attacking basket attempts with something 50+FG% add avg assist somewhere 4+ and you got great second option who can great for others. Yes it would be nice to have Caron with 22-25 point every night but it's quite unrealistic. But him attacking basket isn't. This can great easy shot for others and it would equal like +1 avg points for Dirk, Roddy, Terry and so on. We have plenty shooters who can knock down easy shots. But we need more help with somebody greating these ones. Quality is better than quantity.

I just think these attepmts should go to Beaubois way, he needs these ones. I still think that Roddy with 15 points and handling quick PG's is our ticket to title.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and I'm not knocking on you but, "Quality is better than quantity" is the very most obvious thing and it probably doesn't even need to be mentioned. That should be assumed in basketball and 99% of life.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
FiZth

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying and I'm not knocking on you but, "Quality is better than quantity" is the very most obvious thing and it probably doesn't even need to be mentioned. That should be assumed in basketball and 99% of life.
99% is problaly a little bit too much but yeah I agree with you there that this sentence wasn't so nessesary. But everybody is talking about how Caron needs to increase his average, not polishing his offensive game. So you must be talk with them plain and simple.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

However you see it, he needs to contribute more offensively. I think he's an underrated defender.

IF he's going to be a beast, which was mentioned before then I expect much more and think he is capable of it if used correctly. Perhaps they need to expand the play book some and occasionally stray from "give it to Dirk and stand around the perimeter".
Once again, you fail to comprehend basic ideas. First of all, we were strictly discussing scoring. I didn't mention his defense or passing for that reason, both of which need to improve.

Secondly, he shot 44% (on the nose) last year with us. I said 45%+. He also averaged 15 PPG. I said 16-20. So no, not "like last year".

Caron Butler IS NOT going to be a "beast" next year. It's unrealistic to hope so. What he needs to do is be more efficient and aggressive (which will in turn raise his PPG), be a little more of a playmaker, and take the load off of other guys.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Once again, you fail to comprehend basic ideas. First of all, we were strictly discussing scoring. I didn't mention his defense or passing for that reason, both of which need to improve.

Secondly, he shot 44% (on the nose) last year with us. I said 45%+. He also averaged 15 PPG. I said 16-20. So no, not "like last year".

Caron Butler IS NOT going to be a "beast" next year. It's unrealistic to hope so. What he needs to do is be more efficient and aggressive (which will in turn raise his PPG), be a little more of a playmaker, and take the load off of other guys.
LOL

Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Made me want to bring back my Tuff Juice sig, so I did!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

If Caron plays the 3, and not the 2, this could be a good year for him.

If Caron gets the majority of his touches while Dirk is resting on the bench...sort of a substitute for Dirk's mid-range game, then he could be a real asset to this team.

If they run him out there at the 2 again, like he's a poor man's Kobe Bryant or Joe Johnson, he'll continue to disappoint. Further, relying on him to produce (from any position) like a "second scorer" will result in total failure to reach any of the goals towards which this team is working.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see Caron get his TS% over 55% again. That's my hope for Caron this year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very interested in this year's version of Butler. I think he'll have a big time bounce back season, and though 20 ppg might be a little high, 18-19 is totally in range. I'd love to see his 3 point percentage stay around 35% like it did last year, but keeping his FG% in the mid 40's and getting to the line will be much more important, as some of you have said.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #19
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

While I would commend Butler on putting in a solid offseason program to improve his conditioning and strength, players don't usually become more explosive after they hit 30. (Butler's 30 going on 31.) At that point in their careers, the offseason training is more about prolonging their career (and the multimillion dollar annual salaries) than about transforming their game. He could contribute significantly just by being a consistent 15ppg scorer, but looking for him to become an explosive slasher/penetrator and go for 20ppg is pretty unrealistic.

He sounds a little bit like Cuban--promising way more than he can deliver.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
While I would commend Butler on putting in a solid offseason program to improve his conditioning and strength, players don't usually become more explosive after they hit 30. (Butler's 30 going on 31.) At that point in their careers, the offseason training is more about prolonging their career (and the multimillion dollar annual salaries) than about transforming their game. He could contribute significantly just by being a consistent 15ppg scorer, but looking for him to become an explosive slasher/penetrator and go for 20ppg is pretty unrealistic.

He sounds a little bit like Cuban--promising way more than he can deliver.
Of course, when has Cuban not? Idk about promising, but he suggests and predicts on the brightside all the time. He feels he has to say a lot of things and show confidence as an owner of a team that has expectations. I just wish sometimes he would give fans more credit than that. Makes you wonder if he is actually bathing in the kool-aid.

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this is good to hear...not unexpected having gotten a feel for the kind of player on and off the court that Butler is, but still good to hear.

Whatever else the case may be, chandler and butler will be movable chips at the deadline.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

Coach: Don't assume Shawn Marion to bench
September, 28, 2010

3:18 PM

By Jeff Caplan
UNIVERSITY PARK, Texas -- Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle has heard and read the speculation that Roddy Beaubois, when healthy, will start at shooting guard, Caron Butler will start at small forward and Shawn Marion will become the latest in an impressive line of career starters to be handed a bench job in Dallas.

After all, even owner Mark Cuban has weighed in on Beaubois as a possible starter and this summer president Donnie Nelson called moving Butler to the 3 and Marion to the bench a "natural progression."

On a club that returns virtually intact from last season and has few other lingering story lines, this situation has taken center stage. And naturally, attention has centered on how Marion, who has started 805 of the 820 NBA games he's played and all 75 with the Mavs last season, would handle such a role.

Not so fast, Carlisle said Tuesday after the first of two practices on the opening day of training camp at SMU's Crum Basketball Center. Carlisle said an assumption that Beaubois as a starter means Marion moves to the bench is not necessarily an accurate one.

Carlisle said he has had conversations with Marion as well as with Butler about the possibility of coming off the bench.

"It's something that, if it happened, would be different for them in their careers," Carlisle said. "And they both understand that this whole thing's got to be about putting our team in the best possible position. And there's always a possibility that there could be some fluidity with who did and didn't start depending on matchups and those kinds of things."

When the regular season rolls around on Oct. 27, one will be a reserve, and it could mean a delicate balancing act for Carlisle with veteran players on a roster that he said has, "got nine guys that have started [in the NBA] effectively."

Unfortunately, only five players are permitted to start. Butler, who reported to camp slimmed down and boasting of rejuvinated explosiveness after a summer of ramped-up conditioning work, is entering a big season personally, the final year of his contract. That fact alone could make a reserve role seem unsavory.

On an espndallas.com chat Monday, Butler answered a question about coming off the bench: "I'm not at the point of my career in which I feel I've declined, so I feel I'm still a starter in this game." Butler, 30, has started 527 of the 560 games he's played, including all 27 last year with the Mavs.

Butler has stressed his desire to become more of an offensive force, using his sleeker, stronger frame to drive more to the basket and rely less on his mid-range jumper. Marion, who excelled at running the floor with Steve Nash and draining 3-pointers in Phoenix, could get those aspects back into his game more rather than much of the post-up opportunities he had last season when he averaged 12.0 points a game.

"We are a veteran-savvy team, but that can be great at times and it can be bad sometimes," Marion said. "But, at the same time, that's when we really have to come together and trust each other, and just go out there and play ball and have fun doing it. That's tough [not starting], but we've got to start really recognizing the situations we have on the floor and taking advantage of that to the fullest. We are such a deep team and we've got so many different weapons on this team, we've just got to use it."

Carlisle believes he has differing and valuabe commodities in Marion and Butler, and he flinched at the notion that a bench role is a signal from the organization that a player's game is in decline.

"Any move to a backup position would never assume necessarily that a guy’s game is declining or anything else," Carlisle said. "It’s an opportunity for us to work into a position of strength, and it’s going to be an adjustment whoever ends up doing that. But, everybody knows we’re trying to do one thing -- that’s win."

Marion, 32, said Carlisle talked to him about a potential move to the bench about a month ago. In his first season with the Mavs, Marion was the team's best defensive player, but he was not typically in the lineup in the final minutes of close games and he became frustrated when his minutes dropped off in the playoffs.

Entering the second season of his five-year deal, Marion isn't playing for a contract and he seems to have softened to the idea of life off the bench, if that's the decision rendered.

"I'm a professional, definitely I'd get used to it. I've started my whole career, my whole life. It's definitely something to get used to, an adjustment, but I'm a professional, I'm coming to play," Marion said. "It boils down to I want to win. Everybody's got to make sacrifices. I've been doing it for the last year or so. If I've got to continue to make sacrifices, then I've got to continue to make sacrifices. I want to play."

On Monday, Dirk Nowitzki said players on championship teams can't have hurt feelings, can't be mad at the coach and the situation and must check their egos.

Jason Kidd said there's really only one way to keep everybody happy when roles require sacrifice.

"Winning always takes care of that," Kidd said. "That's the best deodorant. You've got to win."

Which would suggest the pressure is on the Mavs to get out of the gate quickly.

"Yeah, definitely," Marion said. "We've got pressure regardless. We've got a veteran team. We've got pressure regardless."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...arion-to-bench

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

They was talkin about the Mavs on the WFAA channel 8 news last nite and Caron was in the background looking all skinny...he looks like he lost more than 10lbs...

Seriously dude looks like he did in LA and Mia...young and lean...hopefully this translate into his game.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #24
CadBane
Banned

Also, R.E. who starts, I think Marion should start. We need his defense in that lineup (with Roddy or Terry at the 2). Butler is better suited to be a first option off the bench. Not to mention Marion is a notorious diva with regards to his "role".
Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

NOT A WHOLE PERCENTAGE AND A WHOLE POINT!

I say that's a low bar.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
NOT A WHOLE PERCENTAGE AND A WHOLE POINT!

I say that's a low bar.
O RLY? It's a low bar? That's kind of weird, considering Butler is a career 44% shooter and has only cracked 46% twice in his career. But I'm sure, at the ripe age of 31, he will blossom into a 50% shooter...because he lost 10 lbs! It must be nice living in a city of delusion. I bet the ladies love you and JJB is all-nba defense there.

Last edited by CadBane; 09-29-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
O RLY? It's a low bar? That's kind of weird, considering Butler is a career 44% shooter and has only cracked 46% twice in his career. But I'm sure, at the ripe age of 31, he will blossom into a 50% shooter...because he lost 10 lbs! It must be nice living in a city of delusion. I bet the ladies love you and JJB is all-nba defense there.
What the hell does age have to do with shooting percentage?

Jason Kidd never cracked 37% on 3-pointers in his entire career until he came to Dallas - now he's a 42% 3-point shooter.

If there's ANY stat that can get better with time, it's percentages. Shooting percentage boils down to decision-making more than mechanics - no reason Butler can't improve his shot at this point in his career (and losing 10 lbs can't hurt his mechanics either...)

If you're looking for a real challenge - try posting on this site just ONCE without being a dick. Bet you can't do it.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-02-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What the hell does age have to do with shooting percentage?

Jason Kidd never cracked 37% on 3-pointers in his entire career until he came to Dallas - now he's a 42% 3-point shooter.

If there's ANY stat that can get better with time, it's percentages. Shooting percentage boils down to decision-making more than mechanics - no reason Butler can't improve his shot at this point in his career (and losing 10 lbs can't hurt his mechanics either...)

If you're looking for a real challenge - try posting on this site just ONCE without being a dick. Bet you can't do it.
Using Kidd as an example isn't even remotely analogous. Kidd changed his game because of age. Age hasn't altered the way Caron plays the game. He shoots mid-range jumpers. Always has, always will. There is no reason to think he'd magically get better at mid-range jumpers later in life. The only thing that changes is he won't be able to attack as well with age. Kid was NEVER a three-point shooter...he became one with age. His game changed. Butler's hasn't. An actual analogous example would be Stackhouse (actually a fairly similar player to boot). And as we saw, his fg% didn't magically improve with age.

If you're looking for a real challenge, try making a cogent point for once in your life.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #29
CadBane
Banned

Quote:

Nice.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #30
CadBane
Banned

People here seem to get stupider by the day. Considering I said 45%+ (45% being the bare minimum...which would also be contingent on getting to the line more, ergo more efficient), the 1%+ is a pretty big deal. When I say 16-20, why do you assume the bare minimum? If he scored 20 PPG, that would be a 5 PPG difference. If he shot 48%, that would be a 4% difference. That's the point of "ranges". Not to mention that was only a minor part of the argument.

Are you guys just trying to rival Spurstalk.com for America's stupidest posters?

Last edited by CadBane; 09-29-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

In the CITY OF DELUSION.

our mayor.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

ReAlly glad to see Caron take off the weight. He looked overweight all year to me. Unfortunately I don't think he is playmaker enough to get us where we want to go. Either roddy or dojo will probably need to develop to really make that impact that we need.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #33
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
ReAlly glad to see Caron take off the weight. He looked overweight all year to me. Unfortunately I don't think he is playmaker enough to get us where we want to go. Either roddy or dojo will probably need to develop to really make that impact that we need.
I don't think either Roddy or DoJo are going to develop enough to make more of an impact than Caron this season, but I don't think they have to for this team to contend. Really, all we need is for Butler and Roddy to improve from last season and hope the additions of DoJo and Chandler change the dynamic of this team enough to compete with the Lakers.

I think Butler getting more burn at the 3 is definitely a step in the right direction...

Last edited by Underdog; 10-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think Butler getting more burn at the 3 is definitely a step in the right direction...
Have they indicated this? If so, link me.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #35
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Have they indicated this? If so, link me.
Nah, nothing official yet - I should have said "WOULD be a step in the right direction"...

But the way they're talking about Roddy makes me think they're going to work him at SG more than PG, which means Butler should get more burn at the 3 (but who knows what's going on in Carlisle's Jim Carrey-looking head?)

Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #36
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Nah, nothing official yet - I should have said "WOULD be a step in the right direction"...

But the way they're talking about Roddy makes me think they're going to work him at SG more than PG, which means Butler should get more burn at the
Wouldn't be surprised to see a line up of Kidd, Roddy, Butler, Marion, Chandler from time to time...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #37
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But the way they're talking about Roddy makes me think they're going to work him at SG more than PG, which means Butler should get more burn at the 3 (but who knows what's going on in Carlisle's Jim Carrey-looking head?)
Watching roddy run the point in summer league they HAVE to play him more at the 2, he was pretty bad there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #38
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Caron looks waay thinner.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5485460&ref=nf
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #39
SMC0007
Guru

Where is the Fan Jam reporting? Anything interesting?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #40
SMC0007
Guru

Yeah he did look average at best BUT it was summer league after all. Maybe one of those guys will ever see the floor the same time he will in a reg season game. He's not quite ready to run PG duty at a high enough level, but I don't think he was set up to shine as a PG in that SL situation.

Tags
ban cad..please?, bloody cuntbane, cadbane=vagina dentana, ifthecuntfitswearit, master douchebane speaks, rabbitproof=rabbitbrain, siq brah gimmie a siq, terrishiavo'siq>smc'siq