Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #201
Ghost Face

Ghost Face is on a distinguished road

Mark Jackson has made a career out of being a very good defender and being an efficient distributor. The statment I made about Nash was in comparison to Jackson.
Ghost Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2002, 10:12 PM   #202
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

ward and thomas for NVE..in a second.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:15 PM   #203
Ghost Face

An interesting note:

Mark Jackson had 17 assists, 8 rebounds and 4 steals in his first game against the Mavs this season. The Mavs were horribly out-of-sync that game and that was likely one of his better games of the year, but I guarantee you he didn't out-quick Nash.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:19 PM   #204
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nash is better today without question.

I guess the trade is solid, but I worry about Thomas being a team player in Dallas.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:19 PM   #205
Drbio
Banned

I still don't think I do it.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:22 PM   #206
Ghost Face

<< Nash is better today without question. >>

Was that a response? I never said Jackson was the better player, but if we are talking about who might make a suitable backup Jackson would fit the bill just as well as Avery or Ward.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:23 PM   #207
Drbio
Banned

I misunderstood. I thought you were comparing Nash &amp; Jax. I agree he would be a good back up.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:50 PM   #208
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the Knicks would do it but no go, Kurt Thomas is just Kurt Thomas, if he was a big force inside, everybody in New York wouldn't be saying &quot;The knicks need a big force inside&quot; What position would he play? He got slammed playing center and that was in the East, so he would come off the bench playing 10 minutes backing up Dirk. This is one of those NVE for random person over 6'9 trades, Ward though I think is a little underrated he isn't special but he could be a decent back-up. The Mavs could probably get Kurt Thomas for Bradley and #55.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #209
Lvubun1

This is also a hot topic over at the Knicks forum http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/re...k&amp;topics=1

From everything I have read their isn't a person their who wouldn't do it in a second.

I also forgot their is a deal in the works between the Clips and Knicks, LA trading 12 and 8, for the Knicks #7 http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-06-2...l/a-155282.asp So their line-up could look like:

Van Exel/Wagner
Houston
Sprewell or Big dog
Chris Wilcox and/or Jared Jeffries
Camby

Good enough for atleast the 4th seed in the East.

Old 06-23-2002, 11:18 PM   #210
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have Jeffries than Kurt Thomas.

Jeffries (although bulked up) will be playing SF in the NBA. At 6'9&quot;-6'10&quot;, and his passing, and unselfishness.... he would be much more of an asset than Kurt Thomas.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:29 PM   #211
Lvubun1

And with two possible draft picks, to fill the void, all they are losing is Ward. If its really true that Dallas would do this deal, its almost a done deal, I don't see the Knicks not making this trade, Layden isn't that dumb.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:36 AM   #212
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I'm not saying Kurt Thomas is great. What I'm saying is he fits the big guy, good defender, enforcer type, that is affordable. There are surely players I'd rather have but few that can be had under the circumstances. In my opinion the Mavs don't want to trade, the big three or Raef or anyone else useful. I don't think the Mavs need an all-star PG as a backup. They already have an all-star PG as a starter. The Mavs can do with a backup PG that is merely good.

Had I known that Vecsey reported it, I probably wouldn't have jumped so fast to agree. Vecsey is a jerk and is almost never right. Mark would probably veto it just because Vecsey is talking about it. However even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes, or somesuch.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:28 AM   #213
Drbio
Banned

Vescey is a total bunghole.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:55 AM   #214
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Note the language Vescey uses in his piece:

<< Unconfirmed conjecture from a Dallas source advocates the Mavericks are offering Nick Van Exel to the Knicks for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward. >>

Unconfirmed conjecture? That sounds like me posting this trade idea on this board for weeks now (which I have).

A Dallas source? I guess that posts on this board could easily fit that description as well.

Advocates? Meaning that the &quot;Dallas source&quot; was in favor of the deal (as I was and am)?

Sounds like Vescey is trolling our board for material to post in his newspaper column. LOL

I feel so used...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2002, 08:59 AM   #215
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I think you should feel used.

WTF is &quot;Unconfirmed conjecture from a Dallas source&quot;?

KG, I propose that you change your sig to &quot;The above post is unconfirmed conjecture from a Dallas source.&quot;
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 09:03 AM   #216
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #217
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

). If you don't like Ward than Jackson can be plugged into the deal with no problem. If the Knicks feel the need to add a true center and unload a little more money, Bradley and Shandon Anderson could be swapped as part of the deal. If the Mavs want extra incentive to make a deal with the Knicks then they could swap the 55th pick for the Knicks 36th pick.

Jackson.. NO WAY!!!!!!!! He can still distribute the ball however he has said MANY times he wants to be a starter. He doesn't feel he should be a backup. Also, Jackson only offense is he can post up the &quot;smaller&quot; point guards which would also stagnate the offense.

The reason why Ward would be better is because Ward actually plays defense. Not a great defender but he does have quick hands and he's actually a back up and he accepts that role.

Now Thomas is definately a wild card but I think he could help the Mavs out. He makes dumb decisions at times but the only question I would have is could he transition from the half court style of basketball into the fast pace game of the Mavs?
Old 06-24-2002, 10:45 AM   #218
Drbio
Banned

Hey Vescey...if you are trolling the board for column material, we are also in favor of trading Shawn Bradley for Shaq. of course, that is only conjecture as well.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:13 PM   #219
Ghost Face

<< ). If you don't like Ward than Jackson can be plugged into the deal with no problem. If the Knicks feel the need to add a true center and unload a little more money, Bradley and Shandon Anderson could be swapped as part of the deal. If the Mavs want extra incentive to make a deal with the Knicks then they could swap the 55th pick for the Knicks 36th pick.

Jackson.. NO WAY!!!!!!!! He can still distribute the ball however he has said MANY times he wants to be a starter. He doesn't feel he should be a backup. Also, Jackson only offense is he can post up the &quot;smaller&quot; point guards which would also stagnate the offense.

The reason why Ward would be better is because Ward actually plays defense. Not a great defender but he does have quick hands and he's actually a back up and he accepts that role.

Now Thomas is definately a wild card but I think he could help the Mavs out. He makes dumb decisions at times but the only question I would have is could he transition from the half court style of basketball into the fast pace game of the Mavs?
>>

I don't know Mark Jackson but I bet he wouldn't mind contending for a championship, since his days are very numbered. I have never equated Charlie Ward with defense, but I think that it is a toss-up between which player could contribute more to the Mavs.

Kurt Thomas became one of only 3 players to ever lead the NCAA in scoring and rebounding during his senior season. I find this significant because this was Billy Tubb's first year. Tubbs is synonymous with fast break basketball and Kurt didn't seem to have a problem adjusting to this style (increased scoring from 20.7 to 28.9 ppg &amp; increased rebounding from 9.7 to 14.6). Some may not consider college numbers to be relevant to an NBA vet, but those sharp increases late in his college career, under a new system, show me something.